What are your thoughts on hong kong protests? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: What should happen to hong kong?
Democracy imparted by british imperialism must end 0 0%
Hong kong is a different nation state that should preserve it's culture and sovereignty 11 84.62%
China's control of hong kong will improve it 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead

What are your thoughts on hong kong protests?

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread discussing this issue on the forum but it has been rather lackluster in content lately. I know my own opinion, and for those who know me here probably can take a guess on it as well. I'm more interested in what others opinions are on the matter and to start a dialogue.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:31 PM
SAS Member

It's a difficult issue to deal with because it has so many dimensions:

1) you have a place, which by treaty, pretty much belongs to China and Chinese jurisdiction.

2) Chinese law isn't very democratic to the western conception.

This is really a case study of how people make a political/economic transition in the 21st century, and it should be left for those people to settle it themselves.

3) There is talk that resistance is being provoked by western interests, which doesn't help the process of transition...especially since China has recently become an opponent of the US. Any foreign intervention could only be understood as hostile.

4) Hong Kong has developed its own recent history as very distinct from China. There is no collective memory of HK ever being a part of China, which means it has no collective memory of the violent way it was appropriated by England, or how Hong Kong became the "template"/textbook of all other colonialist interventions by Europe and the US that is still used to this day.

In a way, this situation is a lot like the Elian Gonzalez case that happened 20 years ago, but in far larger scale. And just like Elian Gonzalez, this "orphan" needs to go back to its family; to the people it is closest with--even if they're not used to it, and the family looks like the "bad guy". It's really the most rational choice among all the bad options.

The most ironic thing to me, though, was what was seen in a recent rally in Toronto: So both HK ex-pats and mainland Chinese gathered to get their feelings across, and in a show of solidarity the mainland Chinese created a caravan/blockade of Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis and other super expensive cars in front of city hall. It's incredibly telling. if anybody wants to make a case of greater economic output (which is what capitalists always want) China and its system scored a slam dunk!

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I don't forsee a good outcome from the protests, but they are extremely brave by taking a stand for their city and rights.

The police brutality has been appalling. And I don't blame them for rejecting the extradition bill. The PRC doesn't seem to operate under rule of law, and is totalitarian, arbitrary, and medieval in their cruelty.

Foreign nations can't do anything for them though, even if we do support their cause. They are under the jurisdiction of PRC and it would be a political nightmare to encroach on the sovereignty of a world power.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf in the wind View Post
I don't forsee a good outcome from the protests, but they are extremely brave by taking a stand for their city and rights.

The police brutality has been appalling. And I don't blame them for rejecting the extradition bill. The PRC doesn't seem to operate under rule of law, and is totalitarian, arbitrary, and medieval in their cruelty.
Believe it or not, the US (and some other Western countries) could easily slip into something akin to that kind of government in the near future.

Mark Zuckerberg didn't go over there to take pictures of the architecture. Things are not well in the West.

/WYSD
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Tactical nuke ?

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 PM
SAS Member

Language: Anglais
In regards to human rights, I don't see why such a powerful country as China couldn't take a leaf from the westernised book. Think of the education and future the liberated Chinese could take on board. Cracking down on poverty and child labour. Modernising sweat shops.. Idk. It creates a lot of possibilities.

Just woke up. Need to do more research.

Our hopes and expectations. Black holes and revelations.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpellegrino View Post
In regards to human rights, I don't see why such a powerful country as China couldn't take a leaf from the westernised book. Think of the education and future the liberated Chinese could take on board. Cracking down on poverty and child labour. Modernising sweat shops.. Idk. It creates a lot of possibilities.
I'm not sure what you mean, you think there's sweat shops in hong kong or you think china should become more like hong kong?

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:29 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, you think there's sweat shops in hong kong or you think china should become more like hong kong?

Of course there are. Hong Kong is linked to the trading world and cheap labour.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
Of course there are. Hong Kong is linked to the trading world and cheap labour.
I suspect you don't know much about hong kong if you think it's a cheap labor work force. It's among the most developed areas of east asia on par with that of Japan and South Korea. China is even down scaling it's sweatshop style factories and moving them to less developed nations like Malaysia and various countries in Africa in tune with the belt and road agenda of the communists structured economic planning.

Hong Kong is vastly wealthier than the majority of Chinese provinces.

Hong Kong is one of the four tigers, areas in Asia where western democracy and capitalism has prevailed causing unparalleled growth and wealth on the continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Asian_Tigers

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:39 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I suspect you don't know much about hong kong if you think it's a cheap labor work force. It's among the most developed areas of east asia on par with that of Japan and South Korea. China is even down scaling it's sweatshop style factories and moving them to less developed nations like Malaysia and various countries in Africa in tune with the belt and road agenda of the communists structured economic planning.

Hong Kong is vastly wealthier than the majority of Chinese provinces.
Through news stories and various documentaries that's what your lead to believe. Research Hong Kong minimum wage. Easy tiger.

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
Through news stories and various documentaries that's what your lead to believe. Research Hong Kong minimum wage. Easy tiger.
Provide citation. What documentaries are you talking about anyway, you can literally look at it's economic growth by the numbers it's not a mystery or some propaganda.

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:01 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Provide citation. What documentaries are you talking about anyway, you can literally look at it's economic growth by the numbers it's not a mystery or some propaganda.
You seem a little holier than thou tbh. I'm not here to debate, google it. There's tonnes of info. Wouldn't you say that masking Hong Kong minimum wage is propaganda?

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
You seem a little holier than thou tbh. I'm not here to debate, google it. There's tonnes of info. Wouldn't you say that masking Hong Kong minimum wage is propaganda?
I believe that's what's called gaslighting. I googled. it, their minimum wage is much higher than it is in China. It's not that far from the minimum wage in some US states. Furthermore, you did come here to debate by engaging in a conversation with me. If you'd like to bow out of the conversation that's respectable but don't do so with a backhanded insult that's frankly rude.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I believe that's what's called gaslighting. I googled. it, their minimum wage is much higher than it is in China. It's not that far from the minimum wage in some US states. Furthermore, you did come here to debate by engaging in a conversation with me. If you'd like to bow out of the conversation that's respectable but don't do so with a backhanded insult that's frankly rude.
It's your mannerisms. Bow out? Not quite, this was the first time me researching the Hong Kong protests. So I was intrigued and wanted to share my idealistic views. It's still lower than to help the working class live in modern society. Why are they protesting for an update on human rights, because their living standards are still deemed as poor by the people. Poverty fits into this Mark. So what I said, I think is valid.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
It's your mannerisms. Bow out? Not quite, this was the first time me researching the Hong Kong protests. So I was intrigued and wanted to share my idealistic views. It's still lower than to help the working class live in modern society. Why are they protesting for an update on human rights, because their living standards are still deemed as poor by the people. Poverty fits into this Mark. So what I said, I think is valid.
Claiming it's my "mannerisms" doesn't refute my claim that you're gaslighting. If it's you're first time researching this topic and you pretend to be authoritative I would describe your behavior as holier than thou art. The hong kong protests have nothing to do with living wage or the status quo within the government of Hong Kong. You should read up on it more.

This is going to be my last response to you because this is no longer a constructive conversation and I hope you don't take any offense towards my criticisms. It's ok to have limited information.

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:56 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Claiming it's my "mannerisms" doesn't refute my claim that you're gaslighting. If it's you're first time researching this topic and you pretend to be authoritative I would describe your behavior as holier than thou art. The hong kong protests have nothing to do with living wage or the status quo within the government of Hong Kong. You should read up on it more.

This is going to be my last response to you because this is no longer a constructive conversation and I hope you don't take any offense towards my criticisms. It's ok to have limited information.
Sorry I hurt your ego, it must be all this gas lighting, taking offence to the most slightest of things and promoting my authoritative behaviours. I do stand down sir. Of course it does its ****ing human rights, the working class living standard is included in this. Why are they protesting in the financial districts? $$$$ Oh I don't mind. On you trot.

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
Sorry I hurt your ego, it must be all this gas lighting, taking offence to the most slightest of things and promoting my authoritative behaviours. I do stand down sir. Of course it does its ****ing human rights, the working class living standard is included in this. Why are they protesting in the financial districts? $$$$ Oh I don't mind. On you trot.
The protests are happening because this image is illegal in China, but not in hong kong.

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:35 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
The protests are happening because this image is illegal in China, but not in hong kong.

Oh see I need to research more. Not really what I read about? So that's interesting. It's almost like it's been covered up. Even on google and the news! No shock. I find this disturbing.

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:53 AM
SAS Member

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
Oh boy, anti American rhetoric from a kemlin funded news source claiming Hong Kong protests are manufactured by the western powers.

Let's try an independent reporter, on the ground in Hong Kong and speaking to the people that are protesting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page