Wal-Mart stores pressure to cut employee's hours. - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic

Wal-Mart stores pressure to cut employee's hours.

Walmart is cutting workers' hours at some stores

Retailer says cutbacks are unrelated to higher labor costs

By Chris Isidore

POSTED: 02:18 PM EDT Aug 31, 2015 UPDATED: 02:40 PM EDT Aug 31, 2015

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - Walmart is putting pressure on some of its stores to cut hours for its workers.

The move comes four months after it lifted wages for its employees, which has resulted in a slight drag on profits.
Walmart says the cutbacks are only at a small fraction of its stores and are unrelated to the higher labor costs.
"We have a small number of stores that were significantly over on scheduling and they are working to come more into line with the hours that they have had available all year," said Walmart spokesman Kory Lundberg.
Greg Foran, the head of Wal-Mart's U.S. operations, said after the latest earnings report that the company is committed to the higher pay. But he added "we're focused on growing sales and controlling costs, as you would expect from Walmart."
Higher pay at Walmart went into effect in April, with 500,000 full-time and part-time workers getting raises to at least $9 an hour. It also raised the wages of about 100,000 Walmart managers. Walmart estimated the higher wages would cost it about $1 billion a year.
Typically this time of year, Walmart would be ramping up employment for the back-to-school shopping season.
One 13-year employee from a Texas Walmart told CNNMoney that he has seen department managers having their hours cut back to four days a week.
"We're used to the idea of getting hours cut in the month of January," he said. "To get hours cut at this time of year strikes me as being very strange."
The news of the hours cutback was first reported by Bloomberg. One of the unions pushing to organize Walmart workers jumped on that report as a sign that the company is not sincere about improving working conditions.
"We now have further evidence that Walmart's so-called 'wage increase' was nothing more than a cruel PR stunt," said Jessica Levin, spokeswoman for the United Food & Commercial Workers union. "Hard-working Walmart workers -- many of whom did not even see a raise in pay -- are having their hours cut all so Walmart can pad its bottom line."
  • Copyright 2015 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM
You spoony bard!

Is that place still around?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:19 PM
Hiding under my blankets

My Mood: Sleepy
It makes sense to be honest, maybe they are finally taking a look at how ridiculous the salary's are for managers (but I'm guessing that's not it) my only conclusion would be that they are trying to pay their workers as less as possible and being very oriented on not letting anyone have overtime. My mom got her hours cut at Walmart and she works as a pharmacy tech, she went from 32 to 24 hours and they never really gave her an answer, but she's already putting in applications to other jobs and I can't blame her.

I used to give one of my really good friends crap for trying to drink her problems away, now I feel like a hypocrite because usually the only time I feel happy now is at the bottom of a bottle.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingclouds View Post
It makes sense to be honest, maybe they are finally taking a look at how ridiculous the salary's are for managers (but I'm guessing that's not it) my only conclusion would be that they are trying to pay their workers as less as possible and being very oriented on not letting anyone have overtime. My mom got her hours cut at Walmart and she works as a pharmacy tech, she went from 32 to 24 hours and they never really gave her an answer, but she's already putting in applications to other jobs and I can't blame her.
The 24 hour a week business also means Obamacare doesn't apply.
One business I know went from 5 full time people to a manager, two full -time and six part time people (24 hrs/week). That's considered NINE jobs to Obama. That also means only three people get Obamacare.

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:49 PM
You spoony bard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
One business I know went from 5 full time people to a manager, two full -time and six part time people (24 hrs/week). That's considered NINE jobs to Obama. That also means only three people get Obamacare.
She probably didn't have it before that either.. It isn't like Obamacare sprung from nowhere, you guys failed to notice costs going up for 2 decades and didn't say a peep.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Higher pay at Walmart went into effect in April, with 500,000 full-time and part-time workers getting raises to at least $9 an hour.
A whole $9/hour, gosh. Must be just killing Walmart to pay such a high wage.

Quote:
For the fiscal year ended January 31, 2015, Walmart increased net sales by 1.9% to $482.2 billion and returned $7.2 billion to shareholders through dividends and share repurchases.
Walmart CEO Michael Duke's $35 million salary, when converted to an hourly wage, worked out to $16,826.92.
Let's jump all over the minimum-wagers and blame them for bringing down the economy. No, nothing wrong on the other end at all.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Doubtful
Told...ya...so

Maybe they can start selling $30 pizzas too...

California: $15 minimum wage, $30 pizza, Massive fail

http://beforeitsnews.com/economics-a...l-2477798.html

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:02 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Doubtful
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Job creation Obama style...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
Job creation Obama style...
Two job for every one (created with provided insurance).

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:05 AM
You spoony bard!

Apparently these stores are so bad nobody is even shopping there.. How terrible does business have to be to not afford an extra buck an hour?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page