Unions - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Should employees be forced to join a union in order to maintain their employment?
Yes 5 20.83%
No 19 79.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Unions

Question taken directly from the 2008 Annual Questionnaire sent by my U.S. Congressman. (I ran out of my own questions.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
SAS Member

Re: Unions

No.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

Nah. I know a lot of people woud rather not be in a union and pay into union dues than have the backing of a union. There should be choice involved.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Unions were formed with the ideal of protecting workers from corrupt & coercive companies. Seems rather ironic that unions (which have been known to be corrupt in some cases) think it's just fine to engage in coercion: join us or you lose your job. How is being pushed around by a union boss better than being pushed around by a company?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 PM

No, I've seen enough useless unions in the last 4-5 years to completely turn me off of them. Part-time workers especially get absolutely screwed by their money-grabbing unions.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
SAS Member

no absolutely not. it is extortion plain and simple.

but in fairness, no one is forced to *join* a union, they are just forced to pay union dues. and i believe in michigan you can opt for your forced union dues to be given to charity instead of the union.

still extortion.

"charge the enemy! and remember you are from old virginia." george pickett. july 3, 1863.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 PM

It is illegal to force someone to be part of a union to keep their job (closed shop) .

However, I think you are better off with a union. The blue collar unions have done a lot for their members in terms of pay and conditions.

In construction, wages start at $50,000 p.a for the most unskilled jobs. Plus every second Monday is a day off. Unsafe practices are corrected immediately. A 36 hour week. Skilled labour can earn six figure incomes very easily.

Manufacturing earns big money too.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM

no
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Stan the Man

My Mood: Mellow

Hell no, what is this, 1918 Russia?

Always happy to talk to folks!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:30 PM
SAS Member

Your congressman's question is baited, don't you think? As mentioned above no one is forced to join the union. My wife is in the teacher's union and she works with teachers who are not in the union. I worked in a union shop with guys who weren't union. It's not an either/or situation. It sounds as if he has an agenda (surprise, surprise!).
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk
Your congressman's question is baited, don't you think? As mentioned above no one is forced to join the union. My wife is in the teacher's union and she works with teachers who are not in the union. I worked in a union shop with guys who weren't union. It's not an either/or situation. It sounds as if he has an agenda (surprise, surprise!).
I'm in a union that I can't leave/can't retain money from leaving. So yes, skip the semantics, I'm forced to be in a union.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Well of course that's true sometimes, but that's not really relevant here. There are many areas where you have to be in the union as a condition of employment. I worked at such a place.

Of course, not all companies do that, even in closed shop states, and one could argue that they simply don't have to work for that company if they don't like the policy. That's true, but one could choose not to work for a company whose boss kicks you in the balls everyday, but that doesn't make it right that such a place exists.

is here

My personal Blog!!! http://lostinthevalley.wordpress.com/
updated November 14th, 2010
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 PM

No. I don't disagree with the basic idea behind unions but I don't think anyone should be forced to be a part of something they don't want to be involved with.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboQueen
No. I don't disagree with the basic idea behind unions but I don't think anyone should be forced to be a part of something they don't want to be involved with.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothrop
Quote:
I'm in a union that I can't leave/can't retain money from leaving. So yes, skip the semantics, I'm forced to be in a union.
The semantics here are relevant. What may not be relevant are the anecdotes.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:40 PM
bk
SAS Member

No. People should have the ability to negotiate directly with their employer if they want to.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The semantics here are relevant. What may not be relevant are the anecdotes.
Oh, I'm sorry, am I boring you? Since I can't reclaim my money, and I can't leave the union, I think they're quite suitable.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, am I boring you?
No, I was just offended by a perceived tone in your original reply to me. I apologize.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
k79

I'm from the liberal/fascist state of Connecticut, so here it is a Closed Shop state, the liberal mindset is to push the rights of Groups ahead of the rights of Individuals, and at the age of 16 I was forced to join the union when I was bagging groceries at a food store and give (against my will) the union weekly dues.

In turn, the union leaders said that they were "helping us", making sure we get time-and-a-half on Sundays and better working conditions... I was a bagger, I just took the food coming down the conveyor belt and put it into a plastic bag, what kind of working conditions were they speaking of? Without the union, did they really think the food store managers would chain me to the register and whip me if I wasn't bagging so many items per hour?

A few months of dealing with that liberal/fascist union garbage and I quit and got a job at a non-unionized foodstore, and guess what, they paid time-and-a-half on Sundays and they also paid a higher starting wage and it was a much better environment, the store was only two years old.

I was a 16 year old kid saving money for college, and these union bosses were making hundreds of thousands a year sitting on leather chairs in some little office somewhere and they were taking money out my paycheck weekly and they never did a thing for me, they really are the lowest pond scum on this earth to forcefully take money from a 16 year old kid saving for school. But I learned my lesson at 16 about unions and it turned me into a Libertarian over night and ever since then, I refuse to vote for any politician who is in bed with Big Labor or a puppet of the unions and I refuse to buy a GM or Ford car and I shop at WalMart as much as possible because WalMart has the backbone to stand up to the unions and keep those union thugs and thieves off their private property.

I look for the union label, and if it has one, I put the product back on the shelf.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
SAS Member

To answer no to this poll question is to say that the government should have the power to interfere with and dictate the terms of contracts between private parties, in this case unions and companies. Thoughts, libertarians?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page