Two women had 77 cats in two cars! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic

Two women had 77 cats in two cars!

This is sad, nasty....I would not want to be anywhere near the cars.

Vermont police: Women had 77 cats living in 2 cars

Story Created: Oct 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM EDT

Story Updated: Oct 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM EDT

BENNINGTON, Vt. (AP) - Two women have been cited for animal cruelty in Vermont after police found 77 cats living in two cars.

The Bennington Banner reports that prosecutors will consider whether to upgrade the civil citations to criminal charges against 54-year-old Regina Millard and 61-year-old Bertha Ryan, both of Troy, N.Y.
Police say one of the cats was found dead in the trunk of one of the cars Friday. Plates of food were inside and some of the cats had fecal matter matted to their fur.
Bennington Police Chief Paul Doucette says the women owned two of the cats and were apparently looking for homes for the rest.
Police investigated after someone complained about seeing people sleeping in the cars with the cats.
A telephone number for a Regina Millard in Troy was not in service, and a number for a Bertha Ryan rang unanswered.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
SAS Member

What's the logic behind this? If they liked cats, couldn't they realize that having so many cats in such small places equals torture? Well, it's clear they're insane, but still...

Stay away from here. It's not healthy.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:00 PM
inactive

I can't imagine it's possible to have that many cats in two cars without at least one dying. Musta been some big cars. Or tiny cats.

"Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing".
-Jack Handey

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Bon
Walking in the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkr View Post
What's the logic behind this? If they liked cats, couldn't they realize that having so many cats in such small places equals torture? Well, it's clear they're insane, but still...
I agree, but don't think there is much logic, more hoarding from what I understand. You would think that people that have this tendancy, would think of the animals and understand this is not good for them, animals.

Yuck.

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM
SAS Member

That is disgusting and crude. Before I moved into this apartment there was a girl who owned two cats. The female cat had a litter in a closet in what is now my room. The kicker is that they left their cats and kittens in a CLOSET for 3 MONTHS!! I guess later they let the cats wonder around my now room and basically gave the room for them, which had to be over a year because that's what the contract is minimal for. And because this room had carpet in it, oh my LORD was it stinky! We had to rip out the carpet and padding and even scrub the wooden floor with power detergents to try and get the smell out. Finally, the landlord put some cheap wood over it and it seemed to do the trick.

I couldn't imagine what that car smelled like. I couldn't even stay in the apartment for the first week just because one room in a two bedroom place! Nothing but pissing machines I tell ya!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
SAS Member

Crazy! That doesn't even seem possible. Yeesh.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM
SAS Member

I can't imagine the smell either... I don't even like one cat in a house, let alone 77 in a small enclosed area.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM
SAS Member

There are some pretty serious cat people out there. They aren't all this bad. A big reason behind "hoarding" so many cats is the knowledge that they will eventually be euthanized at the shelter. I experienced this personally because I worked for a woman this summer that had quite a few cats, as in over 100, all separated into 5 different rooms. I respect what she did for them, as they were well fed and the litters were dumped and cleaned every single day (by me), I still think it's too many and that, yes, for her own sanity (which is a big part of why I quit) it's just better to let them go to the shelter and possibly be euthanized. I hate feeling that way, but there are just way too many f---ing cats out there. She just wasn't a happy camper, and it costs a fortune. People like her are brave and do a good thing, but at a certain point it gets to be too much. There should be more funding for animal shelters and more homes for cats. People need to fix their animals and capture and fix strays that they feed, but you know that will probably never change.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNice View Post
There are some pretty serious cat people out there. They aren't all this bad. A big reason behind "hoarding" so many cats is the knowledge that they will eventually be euthanized at the shelter. I experienced this personally because I worked for a woman this summer that had quite a few cats, as in over 100, all separated into 5 different rooms. I respect what she did for them, as they were well fed and the litters were dumped and cleaned every single day (by me), I still think it's too many and that, yes, for her own sanity (which is a big part of why I quit) it's just better to let them go to the shelter and possibly be euthanized. I hate feeling that way, but there are just way too many f---ing cats out there. She just wasn't a happy camper, and it costs a fortune. People like her are brave and do a good thing, but at a certain point it gets to be too much. There should be more funding for animal shelters and more homes for cats. People need to fix their animals and capture and fix strays that they feed, but you know that will probably never change.
I have an aunt that used to be a veterinary assistant. She would bring home cats that were going to be euthanized at the shelter. At one point, she and my uncle had 16 cats, 3 dogs, and 3 ferrets. The cats all stayed in the basement, with the exception of the cat that my uncle had before they were married. They were fed twice daily and the litterboxes were kept clean. I can remember going to their house as a kid, going to the basement, and just seeing eyes peering at me from everywhere as they tried to hide.

After she left the veterinary office, she quit bringing home the cats and ferrets. They still have 3 dogs (not the same ones).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 PM
SAS Member

Imagine opening a door and there are 10+ cats right there, and you can't let any of them out. That was just one of the rooms I did every single day. Then you walk up the stairs to 50-something cats with puke everywhere, bowel in different forms all over the floor, and 8 or 9 litters to dump, clean with bleach water solution, and refill, not to mention tons of sweeping. With this many cats, you kind of become desensitized. They're just kind of there. There were so many - every kind of cat personality you could imagine. I felt bad that they couldn't all be played with and loved. There were a few that would jump on my back and rub against me, lick me and all of that good stuff while I was cleaning their litters. I really love cats but it could be quite overwhelming. It wasn't the cats so much as it was the actual work. I usually had no help at all.

You mentioned the eyes all looking at you in the basement. Towards the end of working for this woman, I was having a nightmare day and had let all of these cats into the basement on mistake. The basement was infested with fleas for some reason. I told her and she freaked out, but I acted like there weren't that many down there when in reality there were probably around 10 or so. Some of the cats really didn't want to be caught. So, there I was, scrambling to catch each cat while getting fleas all over me..... lots of fleas. Of course, each cat that I caught was potentially bringing fleas upstairs to infest the rest of the house. One cat had crawled up into the ceiling of the basement. If you know what basement ceilings look like, with the exposed wood and all, you know what I mean. A cat had gotten in a little crevice where there were pipes or something, and I had to yank it out. I was pretty scratched up that night. Then I went back down for one last check after I had gone back upstairs to finish my regular work, and of course there was this one last white cat. That cat was freaking on me. I think it was one of the cats that I had managed to grab as it was in the stairwell, which is where I wanted it to be, but it freaked out and kicked it's back claws into me. That was the probably my worst day working for her.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
subtastic

That's crazy.

But it also kind of reminds me of this:

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 AM
SAS Member

That's horrible. Poor cats. There was something on the TV recently about a guy who hoarded cats. His wife had move out because of the risk of disease. The furniture was shredded and the walls were brown with cat urine. There were piles of cat faeces everywhere and there was even a cat corpse in one corner. The cats, which were in a terrible state, were rounded up and removed and the house was professionally cleaned. I thought it would have been more humane on the cleaners to have just burned it to the ground!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 AM
SAS Member

One of the main reasons I stopped watching Hoarders on A&E, was the animal hoarding. I've noticed on the channels guide Animal Planet has a show about animal hoarding specifically, I don't know how someone could watch that without being all .
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Bennington Police Chief Paul Doucette says the women owned two of the cats and were apparently looking for homes for the rest.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Starlight and moonbeams

God, that is awful. I don't understand the mentality of people like that.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:58 PM
SAS Member

77 cats had 2 women in two cars you mean?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

The cats held the car hostage! I get it .

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 AM
SAS Member

Why do some women devote their lives to saving cats?
Quote:
If a dog is a man's best friend, the stereotype is that cats tend to endear themselves more to female pet owners. But some women go further, giving their lives to the care of cats. Why?...
Pat, a pensioner, has always taken in stray cats and says she is particularly drawn to the old, sick and unwanted ones.
"I don't know why I love animals so much. Perhaps it was my upbringing. My dad was a bully... bullied my mum and he used to drown kittens," ...
Pat had accumulated about 20 cats when it became known locally that she was a rescuer. Then it got "big... too big"....
Cats Protection, a cat welfare charity, says a sample from the last four years shows that out of the 35,335 cats adopted from their centres, 25,510 cats were adopted by women on their own....
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 AM
avast ye landlubbers

Toxoplasma Gondii is a parasite primarily carried by the cat family. It can and does contaminate humans and induce various behavioral changes; in fact the link with schizophrenia may go a ways toward explaining the crazy cat lady stereotype. Different changes occur in men than women, I've wondered for a while if I have it myself...
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I think it is just coincidence, but VagueResemblance's link had a sentence in it that I found interesting....
[QUOTE]The mechanism for this change is not completely understood, but there is evidence that toxoplasmosis infection raises dopamine levels and concentrates in the amygdala in infected mice. [QUOTE]

The amygdala is targeted as one of the sources of SA.

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page