The Republicans Reality Problem - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
SAS Platinum Member

The Republicans Reality Problem

The bottom line is the Republicans are the MINORITY party. They are a very weak minority by historical standards at barely over 40% in the Senate. As such a weak party, you don't get to control the legislative agenda. That is the reality of it. It doesn't matter that you CLAIM that the American people are with you because a) they probably aren't since the Dems kicked your butt just 1.5 years ago in the elections and b) we have a system that gives lawmakers some time before the elections anyways. The reality is the Republicans should quit their whining and do what a minority party should do and try to get bits and pieces of things they like (which Obama and the Dems are more than willing to accommodate them on) passed. Ok, Republicans, you aren't going to like everything that happens and that's because we told you 1.5 years ago and 3.5 years ago that we don't like your stupid ideas. Get a grip on reality fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 AM
SAS Member

Amen.

"Conservatism discards Prescription, shrinks from Principle, disavows Progress; having rejected all respect for antiquity, it offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." - Benjamin Disraeli

Now can someone tell the Dems that they are the majority party?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Aspergian

Never gonna happen.

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
SAS Member

I'd hold off until after the 2010 elections before declaring the Republicans to be a "very weak" party. I remember some pundits saying the same thing about the Democrats after the 2004 Presidential election.

It seems to me that there is a sort of ebb and flow in American politics...it is rare for one party to maintain control of Congress and the Presidency for very long.

At the moment, I don't see any strong 2012 Presidential candidates on the Republican side. However, that is a long way off and there is usually a surprise candidate that comes in and makes a stir. A lot of people thought Hillary Clinton and Rudi Giuliani were going to win the primary elections in 2008 and it turned out not to be the case.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
SAS Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnmcda0 View Post
I'd hold off until after the 2010 elections before declaring the Republicans to be a "very weak" party.
They are weak cause they have like 40% of the Congress. That's weak by historical standards, very weak. That's my point. So the Democrats were voted in to the tune of 60% and they should jam through whatever legislation they want to because that is the reality of what they can do. IMO, the political party in power should be very aggressive and get things done quickly. Long drawn-out debates are unnecessary and hurt your position when everyone knows you run the show anyways. The Dems should've jammed health care through last summer.

As you mentioned, politics has an ebb and flow to it so there is no reason to wait. When you have the numbers, you should get stuff done. It's hard to ever be in as strong of a position as the Dems are at the moment going by the numbers. Their position is unlikely to improve by waiting.

Maybe I should have called this thread the Democrats Reality Problem lol.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheOutside View Post
So the Democrats were voted in to the tune of 60% and they should jam through whatever legislation they want to because that is the reality of what they can do.
Basically, you think they should take this approach:

WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS CRUDE/VULGAR LANGUAGE!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM
SAS Member

^ Yes. The republicans were LOYAL and they voted together. We probably couldn't pass a law to change in a freakin' school lunch menu. The Dems shoulda known the republicans would not play along and the Dems shoulda just kept moving the football. Dag Nabbit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:29 PM
SAS Member

Obama thought he could rely on his charm to sway the wintry, unrelenting republicans who think 'bipartinsanship' is catering to their every want. They'd also have more aggressively (if that's possible) played up the dictator caricature of Obama (even while saying he wasn't being presidential enough by letting Congress crank out a bill).

I agree. the tide could turn. The American population is chockablock with people suffering from collective amnesia. Everything the 'swing voters' are saying about betrayal is silly. He promised to overhaul health care. He promised to spend money to stimulate the economy. He said he supported the surge in Afghanistan before the election.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to dislike Obama. He has backtracked, back-pedaled on some things. He's a well-oiled politician. But I think he genuinely wants what's best for the U.S. Unfortunately, he's dealing with an armada of blue dogs and a 'just say no' opposition party. I pity him.

"To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 PM
SAS Member

It is this simple.

We cannot overwhelming elect a president only for him to impliment SOMEONE ELSE'S policy !

It makes as much sense as a snowball in h3ll that President Obama's health care bill should be scrapped and changed into a health care bill that reflects what the MINORITY PARTY wants.

How can that possibly be fair ??? How is that democracy ????

If it has to be done by simple 51 % majority, then so be it, because I just cannot stand the idea of an opposition party that believes that compramise should only work in their favour.

Republicans you are not doing the American people a favour by stalling this health bill so long. If the President were Republican, and you had the majority, then the bill would be what you want. If you do not hold the majority and the President is not from your party ... how can you demand such drastic changes to his policy ?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:55 PM
SAS Member

If the republicans were in power, there would be no health care bill.

"To hell with reality! I want to die in music, not in reason or in prose. People don't deserve the restraint we show by not going into delirium in front of them. To hell with them."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page