Teen Athlete Benched for being pregnant...... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Teen Athlete Benched for being pregnant......

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...n.athletes.cnn

I believe the school made the correct call on this one.

Your thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Permanently Banned

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.
I agree. While pregnant women can excersise and be fine in the first trimester, how long did she expect to keep playing? She'd have to leave the team as the pregnancy advanced and a replacement would be needed. Or would she think she'll be six months pregnant and running around the court after the volleyball? (I did have a funny mental image of that).

I used to play volleyball, and that ball can hurt big time. I've seen broken noses, black eyes, crotch hits, gotten some big bruises myself.
Abdomen or torso hits aren't that unusual. I would imagine that happening to a pregnant person could be dangerous.
While it was right to put her off the team I do think the coach was out of line for telling her teammates without consulting her (read that in another report).

Not to mention in our sue-happy culture, if anything went wrong on the court the school could be held liable for big $$$.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
Not to mention in our sue-happy culture, if anything went wrong on the court the school could be held liable for big $$$.
That was the first thing I thought of when I watched that video. Now Her Lawyer is calling this sexism. You being a female, do you really consider this as sexism? It maybe unfair to a certain extent, but a football player with an injured knee seems less severe then a pregnant mother participating in nearly the same type of intense sport. Not to mention, volleyball is a team sport. Team sports have to make decisions based on the best interest of the team for competition. While in HS and played team sports, coaches regularly shuffled things around for the best interests of the team as a whole.....

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
I agree. While pregnant women can excersise and be fine in the first trimester, how long did she expect to keep playing? She'd have to leave the team as the pregnancy advanced and a replacement would be needed. Or would she think she'll be six months pregnant and running around the court after the volleyball? (I did have a funny mental image of that).

I used to play volleyball, and that ball can hurt big time. I've seen broken noses, black eyes, crotch hits, gotten some big bruises myself.
Abdomen or torso hits aren't that unusual. I would imagine that happening to a pregnant person could be dangerous.
While it was right to put her off the team I do think the coach was out of line for telling her teammates without consulting her (read that in another report).

I can guarantee that the red item above would hurt men a lot more than women. That ain't sexist; that's fact.

You know who I really feel bad for? The baby! Where are its rights? Maybe the baby doesn't want to be sloshed around in there. It can't talk or spike a ball! The jumping can hurt the baby connections.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Buried at Sea

My Mood: Pensive
The coach just wanted to avoid penalties for having too many players on the court.

You leapt into the abyss, but find
It only goes up to your knees,

~ Nick Cave
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
The coach just wanted to avoid penalties for having too many players on the court.
I forgot to take that into consideration. It was completely overlooked.

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 AM
SAS Member

I think the coach was only looking after her health. You can have people run into you pretty hard who are going for the ball and not looking at where you are at, and you can dive or jump back and fall and hurt yourself badly. It's not really the ball hitting you but these things. well overhand serves adn spiked hits I think they are called do make the ball very fast and direct and that can hurt, true. I think she is overcompetitive, gets her good feelings primarily from excelling in this sport, and from the team effort, and is too feminist in the wrong way..
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Sassy

All I can say is... only in America...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Permanently Banned

Let's say she's allowed to play and an injury occurs causing damage to the fetus or miscarriage. I imagine a lawyer would be bringing a multi-million dollar suit against the school for allowing her to play when "doing so obviously put her fetus at great risk."

Don't let her play and you get sued as well. This is a no-win situation for that school. They are at legal risk no matter what they do. Things like this help explain why lawyers are one of the most hated professions around.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:20 AM
SAS Member

It's another reason not to have sex. You can't play sports.

millenniumman75

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Allrighty then!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Permanently Banned

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMeZuP View Post
That was the first thing I thought of when I watched that video. Now Her Lawyer is calling this sexism. You being a female, do you really consider this as sexism?
No, I don't. Pregnancy is not like a sprained ankle or torn muscle. And its plain old biology thats unfair there, there is not really a male equivalent to pregnancy.

Quote:
I can guarantee that the red item above would hurt men a lot more than women. That ain't sexist; that's fact.
Oh I know. I was on a co-ed team (and while I wasn't exactly stellar on the court I was known for having a killer serve). But hit by a ball anywhere at that speed (esp. from a spike) hurts regardless!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Buried at Sea

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Sex is a sport. Full contact even.

You leapt into the abyss, but find
It only goes up to your knees,

~ Nick Cave
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
king of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
Sex is a sport. Full contact even.

That's why you need to wear protection.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Permanently Banned

I find the issue of sexism in this case interesting. Pregnancy seems an issue the lawyer should take up with a god(s) or nature, depending on their world view. Perhaps the school should put a rule in place regarding pregnant male athletes in the name of fairness.

Do they have a sexist policy in place that requires male athletes to wear a cup to protect their balls from being hit really hard with something like a baseball? Better make the girls wear a cup too as we wouldn't want to discriminate based upon naturally occurring gender differences as that can result in legal action.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Maybe it's an equestrian sport. After all, at least two positions contain the term "cowgirl."

Further questions arise:

1. Does this school provide a daycare center?

2. Does this school provide a room for nursing? And do they need permission to leave class for nursing? Or can one nurse a baby during English class?

3. And if teen mothers openly nurse at school do the teen boys find that hot or disgusting or are they totally confused as to how they feel on it?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
All I can say is... only in America...

The only thing that irks me here, is that she is actually suing for this.

You are an athlete, you a pregnant, you are removed from the team, for the pregnancy, and your response is to sue them ?

Good luck ...

Pregnancy isn't sexism, it is a fact of life.

Here is another example, maternity leave, is much longer than paternity leave. Considering the nature of pregnancy is it really that unfair, sexist and unreasonable, of bosses, to want the fathers-to-be at work, until maybe the 9th month ?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Further questions arise:
2. Does this school provide a room for nursing? And do they need permission to leave class for nursing? Or can one nurse a baby during English class?

3. And if teen mothers openly nurse at school do the teen boys find that hot or disgusting or are they totally confused as to how they feel on it?
I highly doubt any school would allow a girl to bring their kid into the classroom. Either there is a nursery or they have to find someone to watch the kid.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnmcda0 View Post
I highly doubt any school would allow a girl to bring their kid into the classroom. Either there is a nursery or they have to find someone to watch the kid.
I was, of course, being sarcastic for the most part.

Though to be serious, the concept of a school with a nursery shows how the world has changed. Back when I was in high school (1987-1991) I'm not aware of any pregnant students in my school. It would have been nothing short of shocking to see a pregnant student back then, at least at a decent suburban school.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
I was, of course, being sarcastic for the most part.

Though to be serious, the concept of a school with a nursery shows how the world has changed. Back when I was in high school (1987-1991) I'm not aware of any pregnant students in my school. It would have been nothing short of shocking to see a pregnant student back then, at least at a decent suburban school.
I was in high school in 1982 to 1986 and I knew of two girls that got pregnant but they went to alternative school after that. I am pretty sure my HS would rate as a decent, suburban school. I guess the difference is they walk around regular campus pregnant now versus going to alternative schools like they did back in the day. No one walked around campus when they were showing that is for sure.

I don't see how its sexism and you have to alter your normal behavior when you are pregnant, even in the beginning. Exercise is great, very healthy but playing competitive sports isn't a great idea, and I dont blame the school for not wanting to have the legal risk.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page