Taxing Labor?! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Beaver

Taxing Labor?!

Oh I'm riled right now. California is trying to pass a tax on car repair labor, the "Tune-up Tax". If this passes then of course they'll spread it to every kind of labor. We have petitions at work right now to stop it. I'll scan it when I get home tonight. Hopefully everyone in Ca will sign it and send it in to Sacramento
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:11 PM
SAS Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Permanently Banned

Re: Taxing Labor?!

This is nothing new to a Wisconsin resident like me. Car repairs have been subject to sales tax for as long as I can remember.

SAS is full of social liberals who should love this tax. After all, where did all you guys think the money to finance your Nanny State comes from? I don't like such taxes, but then I'm one of those wild & crazy libertarians who thinks government should shrink rather than endlessly expand.

I read an amusing quote by John Stossel that said something to the effect that so many hate their employer that gives them 100% of their money, yet they love the government that confiscates 40% of it.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Permanently Banned

This brings up another subject -- how cars can be taxed again & again & again... When you buy a car you pay sales tax. Repair that car and you pay sales tax on the repair. Sell the car, and the buyer of your used car pays sales tax yet again. If they sell the car, the next buyer pays sales taxes yet again.

Amazing how one can tax the same item multiple times. If it moves tax it! They get to tax every transaction even though the item was taxed upon orginal purchase and may have been taxed multiple times since then. I wonder how many people have even thought about this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Beaver

Ok now I'm confused. Doing some reasearch and sounds like all the buzz is coming from the terminators reelection campaign saying Angelides wants to add the tax if elected.

http://joinarnold.blogharbor.com/blog/_ ... 33560.html

So prolly just a ploy and I got all riled for nothing!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
This is nothing new to a Wisconsin resident like me. Car repairs have been subject to sales tax for as long as I can remember.
Is it the labor being taxed or just the parts? Here just the parts are taxed just like everything else.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mserychic
Quote:
Is it the labor being taxed or just the parts? Here just the parts are taxed just like everything else.
Everything is taxed -- both parts & labor. Wisconsin has the 5th highest taxes in the nation when measured as a percentage of income. I think California is one of the elite 4 that can out-tax Wisconsin.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Beaver

Should turn this into lies politicians tell to slander their opponant thread. What I can't believe is what a big scare this is around here. All the other shops are talking about and handing out petitions which is how we found out
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:40 PM

Just go to show - Repukes just make the **** up
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Poorly Educated

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Everything is taxed -- both parts & labor. Wisconsin has the 5th highest taxes in the nation when measured as a percentage of income. I think California is one of the elite 4 that can out-tax Wisconsin.
Same for Iowa. I work as a mechanic and parts and labor are added together and sales tax is calculated on that total. Where I live we pay 7% sales tax. 5% is state tax, 1% is a local option tax used by the city, and the other 1% goes toward a recent school bond issue. As far as I know all labor is taxed in Iowa.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyguy
As far as I know all labor is taxed in Iowa.
Probably not 100% of labor is taxed. I doubt any state would be nasty enough to tax medical services like doctors -- a tax on the sick would not go over well at all.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Poorly Educated

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyguy
As far as I know all labor is taxed in Iowa.
Probably not 100% of labor is taxed. I doubt any state would be nasty enough to tax medical services like doctors -- a tax on the sick would not go over well at all.
Yeah, you're probably right, I never thought of that part. I meant general labor like construction and repair work, things like that have always been taxed here for as long as I can remember.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:56 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Should turn this into lies politicians tell to slander their opponant thread. What I can't believe is what a big scare this is around here. All the other shops are talking about and handing out petitions which is how we found out
I'm a bit curious. Did his opponent Angelnes or whoever it is actually come out and say 'no, this isn't true'? That sort of thing is way more specific than the usual campaign slander.

is here

My personal Blog!!! http://lostinthevalley.wordpress.com/
updated November 14th, 2010
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Comrade

The problem is not so much taxes, but rather how tax money is spent. Case in point:

Italy has some of the highest taxes in the world. A sizable portion of that tax money goes to the on-going "development" of its southern provinces (places like Sicily, Naples, and Calabria), where most Italian-Americans can trace their ancestry. Despite five decades of work and several trillion dollars worth of "aid", those areas remain eternally poor and dysfunctional, thanks to an age-old tradition of government waste (roads leading to nowhere, ect.)

And let's not forget the John Gotti/"Don Corleone" types who Americans worship and who Italians generally despise as parasites
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikachuck
Quote:
I'm a bit curious. Did his opponent Angelnes or whoever it is actually come out and say 'no, this isn't true'? That sort of thing is way more specific than the usual campaign slander.
Oh I just assume anything said by any politician about another is slander. I have some more researching to do about this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikachuck
Quote:
Oh I just assume anything said by any politician about another is slander. I have some more researching to do about this.
It very well could be. Usually though when they say something like that they say something generic like 'he will raise your taxes' or 'he will kill your first born male children'. Very rarely is it some sort of specific policy, especially on taxes.

is here

My personal Blog!!! http://lostinthevalley.wordpress.com/
updated November 14th, 2010
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 PM
SAS Member

not a bad idea.

"charge the enemy! and remember you are from old virginia." george pickett. july 3, 1863.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I read an amusing quote by John Stossel that said something to the effect that so many hate their employer that gives them 100% of their money, yet they love the government that confiscates 40% of it.
Gives them 100% of what? What they deserve or what they signed onto? I seriously doubt the govt confiscates 40% of the impoverished gross income. In fact some people get more back from the govt then send into.

"Toto IV"
It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had............
Sometimes when the world goes crazy all you can do is laugh. It hides the tears.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday
The problem is not so much taxes, but rather how tax money is spent. Case in point:

Italy has some of the highest taxes in the world. A sizable portion of that tax money goes to the on-going "development" of its southern provinces (places like Sicily, Naples, and Calabria), where most Italian-Americans can trace their ancestry. Despite five decades of work and several trillion dollars worth of "aid", those areas remain eternally poor and dysfunctional, thanks to an age-old tradition of government waste (roads leading to nowhere, ect.)
No, the problem is taxes.

The example you give above is the rule rather than the exception. Government tends to waste money. Congress has a pork-fest where every member tries to bring as much pork back to his district as humanly possible. They more pork projects they bring to their district the more chance they have of getting reelected. It doesn't matter if there is no point to having a military base in their district to fight a Soviet Union that doesn't exist -- they will fight tooth & nail to keep that base open because it brings their area money, even if that comes at the cost of wasting money from tax payers all over the nation.

The government is a big, fat Beast that eats money. The Beast is very hungry and constantly demands to be fed more & more money. The only way to kill the Beast, or at least tame it, is to cut off the vast tax revenue that fuels the Beast. The Beast needs to be put on a diet of low taxes.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Comrade

Quote:
The government is a big, fat Beast that eats money. The Beast is very hungry and constantly demands to be fed more & more money. The only way to kill the Beast, or at least tame it, is to cut off the vast tax revenue that fuels the Beast. The Beast needs to be put on a diet of low taxes.
Whatever you say, boss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page