Social media, selfies and narcissism - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Lateralus

My Mood: Sleepy
Thumbs down

Social media, selfies and narcissism

Can anyone think of a better example of how self-concerned and narcissistic we are as a people than the "selfie" ? You might think it's just women who take selfies. You're wrong. I've seen far too many guys showing off their "guns" and bodies with mirror pics and the like. There's the old saying "if you've got it, flaunt it." Well, people in the West love to flaunt it. And it's not just people who "got it," it's a helluva lot of people who don't and still are obsessed with themselves. I am disgusted by it.

Social media as a whole - facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram.....they are nothing more than tools of ego assuagement. Look at MY body, look at MY vacation, look at the party I'M at, look at ME. ME, ME, ME AND ME!

I know the pieces fit cause I watched them fall away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Can anyone think of a better example of how self-concerned and narcissistic we are as a people than the "selfie" ? You might think it's just women who take selfies. You're wrong. I've seen far too many guys showing off their "guns" and bodies with mirror pics and the like. There's the old saying "if you've got it, flaunt it." Well, people in the West love to flaunt it. And it's not just people who "got it," it's a helluva lot of people who don't and still are obsessed with themselves. I am disgusted by it.

Social media as a whole - facebook, twitter, snapchat, instagram.....they are nothing more than tools of ego assuagement. Look at MY body, look at MY vacation, look at the party I'M at, look at ME. ME, ME, ME AND ME!
What are they supposed to post pictures of? An old shoe?

/WYSD
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Lateralus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
What are they supposed to post pictures of? An old shoe?
Themselves with a group of people would be preferable, for one.

Though depending on the context, you know it's a good bet that photo still went up on social media for ego assuagement.

Why is there such a need to post photos in the first place? We didn't always have facebook, snapchat and instagram. Facebook is the oldest and it's been what, ten years?

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:40 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
I agree and disagree.

Those who take pics of themselves in front of mirrors, etc, are vain to begin with. The "selfie" only gives them another avenue to be that way.

Where I agree on how f***ing narcissistic it is, is when you get douchebags such as the ones near the Lindt café in Sydney, taking pics of themselves in front of where a terrorist hostage situation is happening. If I were an employer of anyone who did that, they would be unemployed rather quickly.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Poorly tuned

Quote:
Themselves with a group of people would be preferable, for one.
Why? Even if it's people they know, it's basically just random people. If you're on a woman's page, you're probably interested in them. Not their uncle Billy and his pet pig.

Quote:
Why is there such a need to post photos in the first place?
Why does it matter?

/WYSD
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Lateralus

Quote:
Why? Even if it's people they know, it's basically just random people. If you're on a woman's page, you're probably interested in them. Not their uncle Billy and his pet pig.
Don't care. I'm just glad they're not posting selfies as it's a strong indicator of narcissism.

post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM
SAS Member

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Poorly tuned

Actually, the funny thing about it is that this "social media" thing if more of an attempt to fit in than it is to stand out. It may appear as though they're trying to say "I'm something special because __________" but what they're actually saying is "Look at me. I'm doing exactly the same thing everyone else is doing. Accept me! PLEASE!"

/WYSD
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

Narcissism is pretty rampant today. This ability to take a picture of yourself, post it and have people "like" it is the worst thing that could possibly happen to a society as superficial as ours.

I notice a lot of women have their own picture as a background image. Is that normal? My ex-wife did that and I see it so often that sometimes I think I'm being judgmental. But I could possibly imagine doing the same thing.

“We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.”

― Kurt Vonnegut
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Lateralus

Quote:
Actually, the funny thing about it is that this "social media" thing if more of an attempt to fit in than it is to stand out. It may appear as though they're trying to say "I'm something special because __________" but what they're actually saying is "Look at me. I'm doing exactly the same thing everyone else is doing. Accept me! PLEASE!"
Heh. Reminds me of Kony. Couldn't keep count of how many people changed their facebook profile pictures to "KONY 2012" when that hoopla started. Of course, none of them knew anything about it prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelClare View Post
Narcissism is pretty rampant today. This ability to take a picture of yourself, post it and have people "like" it is the worst thing that could possibly happen to a society as superficial as ours
And with every cyber "like" the beast is fed. But it is never fully satisfied

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Not dead yet

Quote:
I have a very bad opinion on anyone who uses any of those websites. Plus Tumblr and any other like this.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Permanently Banned

You know, you don't have to use such technology. Did you realize there's this whole world of people (generally over 40 -- aka your parents) who don't use it and somehow they survive.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 PM
SAS Member

Social media has its benefits, too. It's nice to be able to stay in touch with people you might otherwise never have heard from again, say after high school graduation.

Of course, the ego thing is a problem too. Despite having a facebook, I won't post anywhere that's tied to my real name. Anonymity is much better and is what makes the Internet so great.

“Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself - that comes too late - a crop of inextinguishable regrets.” - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Lateralus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant of Dawn View Post
Social media has its benefits, too. It's nice to be able to stay in touch with people you might otherwise never have heard from again, say after high school graduation.

Of course, the ego thing is a problem too. Despite having a facebook, I won't post anywhere that's tied to my real name. Anonymity is much better and is what makes the Internet so great.
As far as I'm concerned, if they want to connect with me they can call me on the damn phone. Those that care about me even the slightest bit will. Those who don't won't, social media "cyber friends" or not. I deleted my facebook months ago and haven't looked back. You know what? The same people contact me as always.

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, if they want to connect with me they can call me on the damn phone. Those that care about me even the slightest bit will. Those who don't won't, social media "cyber friends" or not. I deleted my facebook months ago and haven't looked back. You know what? The same people contact me as always.
I guess. All I use it for is facebook messaging really, which is sometimes more convenient than text messaging if I want to do it over the computer for whatever reason. When you and your high school friend both have busy schedules in college it might be difficult to find a time that you're both free to call, but with something like Facebook you can both exchange messages whenever you're free and still keep in touch.

“Droll thing life is - that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself - that comes too late - a crop of inextinguishable regrets.” - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Poorly tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelClare View Post
Narcissism is pretty rampant today. This ability to take a picture of yourself, post it and have people "like" it is the worst thing that could possibly happen to a society as superficial as ours.

You can't be serious. Or if you are, you need to take a step back and really think about the worst thing that could possibly happen.

/WYSD
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 12:03 AM
bye

It's not a crime to love yourself. If you feel cute/attractive/sexy, or even if you're trying to love and accept yourself, what's so wrong with showing that?

"There is no “both sides” of an issue when one side is dehumanization and the other side is survival."
Putting this out here:

1-877-565-8860

The Trans Lifeline, a crisis hotline created specifically for transgender people run by transgender volunteers.

http://www.transhousingnetwork.com

The Trans Housing Network is a nationwide organization that allows inquiries for trans-inclusive housing, and for people to post that they have a safe space for transgender individuals.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Maybe?

I could take this selfie hate seriously if it were directed at a narcissistic, excessive culture and not directed literally at just any pictures of oneself, which people shared before Facebook. I think they were called Polaroids, or more recently just JPEGs on personal websites. You'd have to ask grandpa and grandma, though.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 AM
!

My Mood: Grumpy
The word "narcissism" is thrown around too much when it comes to this.
People like attention, and this is the best medium for getting it these days. Calling taking pictures of yourself and posting them online narcissism undermines the actual cases of narcissistic behaviour and narcissists makes them seem less serious.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 02:22 AM
SAS Member

I think that social media is a self-affirming experience for people happy with their lives, whilst for people unhappy with their lives it can be a very depressing experience.

It is that old Darwinian dynamic that exists in every aspect of our lives that people like to pretend doesn't.

Are you winning?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page