Should all drugs be legalized? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Should all drugs be legalized?

Don't know if this has been asked here before but a good discussion. I saw this on Reddit and wanted to ask people here. Now, many people in various countries have opened up to the idea of legalizing cannabis for recreational and medicinal use but what about going a step further and legalizing other drugs?

The ones I'd target are empathogens (ecstasy, MDMA), opiates(heroin/diamorphine, morphine), benzos(xanax, valium), and stimulants(adderall, methamphetamine, mephedrone).

Now by legalize I realise that many of these drugs are actually legal but strictly controlled. What about a situation where one could buy heroin OTC after a pharmacy consulation (like you do here in Ireland with Nurofen Plus; codeine + ibuprofen). No need for a GP/PCP.

Would you be in favor of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 05:09 AM
Guide - Politics Section

Language: English, Czech
I say this with caution, as I'm sure there are many things I have yet to consider, but de-criminalisation seems to be sensible, especially given how bad the "war on drugs" has been for everyone involved.

I think having a system in place that offers safer methods of using substances, as well as having medical and mental health professionals involved with a view to helping people overcome addiction, is very reasonable and much more humane than using law enforcement to deal with things.

Decriminalisation could also deliver a huge blow to criminal organisations who enjoy huge profits from the current arrangement.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 05:47 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Yes I'd support it and with fewer restrictions, even though I've never so much as smoked a joint and never would. On principle, I never approve of a policy that takes away people's choice about their own body and health. By the same token though, you can't expect others to bail you out when you ruin your own body with dangerous substances, so no taxpayer money would be spent on treating these individuals.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 08:31 AM
Fupa King

Language: English
People don't deserve to be punished for a drug addiction. They need help. And there's already plenty of legal addictions that pharmaceutical companies abuse for profit.

Life's Wack
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 03:19 PM
SAS Member

It could be something to try, but ultimately it won't be effective if it doesn't solve the real problem: which is the rampant production at the point of harvest of the raw material. The law has to have an effect on its production, but I hear those that manage its production are very rich and powerful and influential in politics...

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 03:23 PM
drifting in mist

Stuff like crystal meth should be illegal to produce. Addicts need treatment not jail.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 03:31 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
sure. I'm pretty much full neolib on this issue.

even though it's obviously a terrible idea that would kill many people. I dont like people, and I dont even drink or smoke, seldom have coffee. coffee would be nice right now actually

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 04:40 PM
anxiolytic

Language: 'Merican
"Addiction is a disease" and "legalize all drugs" are contrary positions. It's ethically inconsistent to support both. Either drugs are disease causing substances that need to be controlled for the welfare of the population or addiction is a choice and we don't need to support programs since people can decide to stop.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 06:19 PM
Failure's Art

All drugs should be legal to consume. But the addictive drugs should be illegal to produce and distribute. So I support the decriminalization of consumption.

too scared to live; too scared to die
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 06:36 PM
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekiro View Post
"Addiction is a disease" and "legalize all drugs" are contrary positions. It's ethically inconsistent to support both. Either drugs are disease causing substances that need to be controlled for the welfare of the population or addiction is a choice and we don't need to support programs since people can decide to stop.

I don't agree that they are contrary positions. I accept that addiction is a disease which the vast majority of people cannot overcome without professional assistance. The science on this is clear, addictive drugs literally change brain chemistry. But I also don't think the government should be telling anyone what they can and cannot consume. It's a non sequitur to suggest that because addiction is a disease the government can regulate the choices you make. Alcoholism is a disease yet everyone over the age of 21 is free to drink. Lung cancer is a disease yet everyone over the age of 18 is free to smoke. Both alcohol and nicotine are habit forming or addictive substances. Additionally, people do a lot of dumb / risky things that the government doesn't regulate like free soloing or base jumping. Should the government make base jumping illegal because adrenaline junkies have a disease? These guys are literally addicted to the excitement of the jump, it changes their brain chemistry and it reduces their likelihood of reaching age 40 by something like 20%. But it's not illegal. Just because something is bad for you doesn't mean you shouldn't be free to chose to do it.

too scared to live; too scared to die
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 06:42 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
I think idealism is fun and reality is often ugly.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 06:42 PM
Temporarily Banned

My Mood: Angelic
We will have a bunch of Shaggy's from Scooby Doo - everywhere.

I think this question needs some serious thought. The capability of man is unknown.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 09:03 PM
😷

My Mood: Angelic
Yup, I think they should sell them out of an ice-cream van, where they turn on the music when it's happy time.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page