Serious Human Problem - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Exclamation

Serious Human Problem

cry out to (someone) in order to summon them or attract their attention: she heard Terry calling her | [ no obj. ] : I distinctly heard you call.
cry out (a word or words): he heard an insistent voice calling his name | Meredith was already calling out a greeting.
(of an animal, especially a bird) make its characteristic cry.
shout out or chant (the steps and figures) to people performing a square dance or country dance.
telephone (a person or telephone number): could I call you back?
summon (something, especially an emergency service or a taxicab) by telephone: if you are suspicious, call the police.
bring (a witness) into court to give evidence.
and infinitive ] archaic inspire or urge (someone) to do something: I am called to preach the Gospel.
fix a date or time for (a meeting, strike, or election).
guess the outcome of tossing a coin: “You call,” he said. “Heads or tails?”
predict the result of (a future event, especially an election or a vote): in the Northeast, the race remains too close to call.
Computing cause the execution of (a subroutine).
2 and complement ] give (an infant or animal) a specified name: they called their daughter Hannah.
(be called) have a specified name: she is called Eva | a 1942 mystery called Time To Kill. a new Disney show called Hannah Montana.• address or refer to (someone) by a specified name, title, endearment, or term of abuse: please call me Lucy.
refer to, consider, or describe (someone or something) as being: he's the only person I would call a friend.
(of an umpire or other official in a game) pronounce (a ball, stroke, or other action) to be the thing specified: the linesman called the ball wide.
3 (of a person) pay a brief visit: he called around last night looking for you.
(call for) stop to pick up (someone) at the place where they are living or working: I'll call for you around seven.
noun
1 a cry made as a summons or to attract someone's attention: in response to the call, a figure appeared.
the characteristic cry of a bird or other animal.
[ with modifier ] a series of notes sounded on a brass instrument as a signal to do something: a bugle call to rise at 5:30.
a telephone communication or conversation: I'll give you a call at around five.
(a call for) an appeal or demand for: the call for action was welcomed.
summons: a messenger arrived bringing news of his call to the throne.
in sing. ]a vocation: his call to be a disciple.
a powerful force of attraction: hikers can't resist the call of the Sierras.
. with negative a call for) a demand or need for (goods or services): there was little call for work as sophisticated as his.
Computing a command to execute a subroutine.
a shout by an official in a game indicating whether the ball has gone out of play, a rule has been breached, etc.; the decision or ruling so made: the replay shows that the umpire made a bad call.
Bridge a bid, response, or double.
a direction in a square dance given by the caller.
a demand for payment of lent or unpaid capital.
Stock Market short for call option.
a player's right or turn to make a bid in a card game.
2 a brief visit: we paid a call on Howard.
a visit or journey made in response to an emergency appeal for help: the doctor was out on a call.
PHRASES
call attention to cause people to notice: he is seeking to call attention to himself by his crimes.
call someone's bluff see bluff1.
call collect N. Amer. make a telephone call reversing the charges.
call something into play cause or require something to start working so that one can make use of it: our active participation as spectators is called into play.
call something into (or in) question cast doubt on something: these findings call into question the legitimacy of the proceedings.
call it a day see day.
call someone names see name.
call of nature see nature.
call the shots (or tune) take the initiative in deciding how something should be done.
call a spade a spade see spade1.
call someone to account see account.
call someone/something to mind cause one to think of someone or something, especially through similarity: the still lifes call to mind certain of Cézanne's works. with negative remember someone or something with clause : I cannot call to mind where I have seen you.
call someone/something to order ask those present at a meeting to be silent so that business may proceed.
don't call us, we'll call you informal used as a dismissive way of saying that someone has not been successful in an audition or a job application.
good call (or bad call) informal used to express approval (or criticism) of a person's decision or suggestion. with reference to decisions made by referees or umpires.
on call 1 (of a person) able to be contacted in order to provide a professional service if necessary, but not formally on duty: our technicians are on call around the clock. 2 (of money lent) repayable on demand.
to call one's own used to describe something that one can genuinely feel belongs to one: I had not an item to call my own.
within call near enough to be summoned by calling: she moved into the guest room, within call of her father's room.
PHRASAL VERBS
call for 1 make necessary: desperate times call for desperate measures. 2 publicly ask for or demand: the report calls for an audit of endangered species. 3 N. Amer. predict or describe (the likely weather conditions) for a period of time in the future: the forecast is calling for more rain. they're calling for temperatures in the 80s for the rest of the week.
call something forth elicit a response: few things call forth more compassion.
call someone/something down 1 cause or provoke someone or something to appear or occur: nothing called down the wrath of Nemesis quicker. 2 dated reprimand someone.
call someone in enlist someone's aid or services.
call something in require payment of a loan or promise of money.
call someone/something off order a person or dog to stop attacking someone.
call something off cancel an event or agreement.
call on 1 pay a visit to (someone): he's planning to call on Katherine today. 2 (also call upon)have recourse to: we are able to call on academic staff with a wide variety of expertise. with infinitive demand that (someone) do something: he called on the government to hold a plebiscite.
call someone out 1 summon someone, especially to deal with an emergency or to do repairs. 2 order or advise workers to strike. 3 archaic challenge someone to a duel.
call something over dated read out a list of names to determine those present.
call someone up 1 informal, chiefly N. Amer. telephone someone. 2 summon someone to serve in the army: they have called up more than 20,000 reservists. select someone to play in a team: he was called up from Columbus to finish the season with the Yankees.
call something up summon for use something that is stored or kept available: icons that allow you to call up a graphic. evoke something: the special effects that called up the Mars landscape were impressive.

On-Call

why why why desire to speak with a person not visible? expect to hear what they say? How?

demand attention. psychotic harm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Good call!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy666 View Post
why why why desire to speak with a person not visible? expect to hear what they say? How?

demand attention. psychotic harm
I think when we talk to others we're really talking to ourselves. It's like the conversations you have in dreams. The person you're conversing with in the dream is really you, you're just not aware of it.

If you write a note to yourself today and read it 10 years from now, the person reading the note is no longer the same person who wrote the note. Maybe communication is just passing around notes to ourselves from different places in time and space and other dimensions of experience.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page