Rather Die Or Go To Prison? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Language: Wookiee

Rather Die Or Go To Prison?

My Uber driver today was telling me his story of getting robbed in his house at gunpoint and taken out into the country to be shot and buried, only narrowly getting away when a cop finally caught up to them.

Turns out it happened in the same neighborhood I'm from. Actually a fairly affluent one, but apparently prime for home invasions. It made me mention that's partly why I sold my guns because I don't want to go to prison for shooting and killing a home invader, even though I feel like I'm basically leaving my doors open at night. I said I think I'd rather just get killed by them instead of risking prison if they found I wasn't justified in killing them. He argued that he'd rather go to prison than die.

I think he had a point too. Once you get into a situation like that, every part of your being starts to fight to stay alive. So maybe I'm deluding myself by thinking I'd rather die like that than risk going to prison for unjustifiable self defense.

I can't make up my mind though. Imagine how horrible prison would be, especially if you felt like you didn't deserve to be there. Every minute of every day that anger and resentment would eat away at you. Especially if you aren't stupid enough to believe in some sort of Jesus Daddy who helps you forgive and forget your oppressors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:04 PM
Gangsta Crayon

I would rather die. I heard you constantly feel dirty in prison. Then there's dealing with getting beaten up and people ganging up on you and getting a longer sentence because of it. And I heard it gets really cold there. Also the fact that it would be hard to sleep almost every night and the possibility of getting bedbugs. The list goes on and on. I saw a video of this one girl explaining what it's like in prison and those were some of the things she said. Even getting clothes washed would be hell to deal with and gross. She said she had to work out in the heat for hours and the sun was shining on her. I think she said she got sunburn.

I don't believe it when people say prison isnt that bad cause it sounds like pure torture and hell. Not worth living for at all for me. I'm sure the time goes by extra slow cause of how badly it sucks so a 10 year sentence would probably feel like 20 years. Then theres the fact of getting your life together after getting out of prison. It would be extra hard. I would go insane within a month of being in prison.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Ω

The prisons where I live are actually very comfortable (by prison standards). We believe in the rehabilitation model rather than the punishment one. So I would most likely have my own room, with a TV and a radio. I could live with that. Not sure I'd want to, though.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:29 PM
SAS Member

As long as I get to choose solitary confinement

(Based on US prisons)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

That's a good point, trying to join society after being in prison is probably the worst part. People don't stop to think about what you got in there for, you just get lumped in with all the rapists and murderers.

I would probably end up joining a prison gang for protection and drugs to make the time go by, but then you have that in your life forever. I like to think I wouldn't, but if they had good drugs and didn't go around raping people I'd probably give in eventually without somebody waiting for me outside. But even then you have to think about what she is doing out there so lonely without you, and who could blame her anyway, you're a loser now.

It is making me want to die already thinking about it. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. At least it's over pretty quickly if somebody kills you.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:17 PM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Depends how bad the prison was or for how long, but a home invader is free game in my book.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:28 PM
Chonker

I would probably be passed around like a warm slab of meat. Solitary confinement doesn't sound too bad. Pretty much what life is like currently.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan View Post
I would probably be passed around like a warm slab of meat. Solitary confinement doesn't sound too bad. Pretty much what life is like currently.
No way. It is nothing but four white walls and barely room to lie down. Maybe a mat to sleep on with no pillow. You never know what time it is, day or night.

You might get a sandwich with bologna drenched in sodium benzoate and a glass of water a couple times a day.

You might be able to figure out the time of day based on when they serve your "food", after a few days.

It is designed to strip you of your sense of self and break you overnight.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:55 PM
SAS Member

Id rather be in solitary confinement than share my space with the other prisoners. But I wouldn't compare it to my life. I like having TV and internet lol
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:10 PM
Chonker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy396 View Post
No way. It is nothing but four white walls and barely room to lie down. Maybe a mat to sleep on with no pillow. You never know what time it is, day or night.

You might get a sandwich with bologna drenched in sodium benzoate and a glass of water a couple times a day.

You might be able to figure out the time of day based on when they serve your "food", after a few days.

I said that partly in jest . If you put it that way it sounds like a lifetime of torture. I've also heard about nasty things they put in foods to the point where inmates starve rather than eat contaminated foods. Especially if theres no end, even the strong willed are put to the test how long they could mentally make it. There was a case a while back where an inmate had his sentence petitioned for early release because he had turned into a vegetable over the decades of isolation. If I were given that reality for a life behind bars, then someday I'd probably start looking for a way out by hanging or cutting.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan View Post
Quote:

I said that partly in jest :-). If you put it that way it sounds like a lifetime of torture. I've also heard about nasty things they put in foods to the point where inmates starve rather than eat contaminated foods. Especially if theres no end, even the strong willed are put to the test how long they could mentally make it. There was a case a while back where an inmate had his sentence petitioned for early release because he had turned into a vegetable over the decades of isolation. If I were given that reality for a life behind bars, then someday I'd probably start looking for a way out by hanging or cutting.
I think it depends on whether it's a for profit prison or not. But in the US I think they almost all are now.

Even in the for profit county jail here it is like that. I spent two days for failure to appear in court for a small misdemeanor. The first meal while I was on lockdown was so full of preservatives that when I touched the piece of processed "pork?" I could smell it on my finger and it gave me a bad migraine, body aches and some irregular heart beats just from soaking into my skin.

It had to be pretty strong because I can usually eat a serving of food with sodium benzoate on accident or use sodium benzoate shampoo and get away with just a small-medium migraine.

If I had eaten it I would either be dead or have had a massive stroke. Even with that one touch I had to keep flushing it out by drinking water and it brought it out in my sweat every time I drank. I could smell it.

It made me think of what it must be like to be attacked with a chemical weapon like anthrax or something. Probably not even close, but maybe if you were in a chem suit and got one little pinhole leak or something.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 12:42 AM
Pesky Pessimist

I guess it largely depends on the prison.

Sweden

Bolivia

Russia

China

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 07:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post

Sweden

I think some of them are like that in Germany too. 60 minutes had a story on how progressive the prisons in Germany were.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post

Sweden

I think some of them are like that in Germany too. 60 minutes had a story on how progressive the prisons in Germany were.

That's really interesting. Have you ever been there? I would like to visit some day.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:39 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
That's really interesting. Have you ever been there? I would like to visit some day.
Have I ever been to Germany? Nah, I've never been anywhere but yeah it would be a cool place to see which is rare for me to say since not very many places interest me.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM
Hufflepuff

My Mood: Lurking
Wait, you can't play video games in American prisons?

Anyway, I would still choose death. That's why I can't do nothing but shake my head to people who defend and support death penalty as a "punishment" for the most heinous crimes. Come on, it's a non-punishment! You're not feeling punished, when you're dead

Judge; You are sentenced to life in priso... no, you are sentenced to death!!!

The corpse of the defendant;

People willingly kill themselves everyday. Criminals who were never even close getting a death sentence kill themselves; Why? To take the responsibility and "suffer" the death sentence? No, the opposite, AVOIDING the punishment, because death IS NOT one.

Embrace tradition, return to monke
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:39 PM
Discord all the way

It depend.

If I go to a prison that is like a torture house I'm already dead. Mentally first then physically if my body can hold up. I don't think it can. I'm dead.

If it is a regular prison cell then I think I can survive but I would worry and miss my family. I would also just be one of those quiet prisoners who mind their own business. I think some of the prisoners would try to pick a fight with me seeing how I stay to myself.

What worries me is the fact that Black People are treated badly in prison. Some get killed by the a guard but it look like it appear as if the prisoner was disobedient.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 01:44 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Lady View Post
It depend.

If I go to a prison that is like a torture house I'm already dead. Mentally first then physically if my body can hold up. I don't think it can. I'm dead.

If it is a regular prison cell then I think I can survive but I would worry and miss my family. I would also just be one of those quiet prisoners who mind their own business. I think some of the prisoners would try to pick a fight with me seeing how I stay to myself.

What worries me is the fact that Black People are treated badly in prison. Some get killed by the a guard but it look like it appear as if the prisoner was disobedient.
Actually, my understanding of it is that women's prisons are much more civilized than mens (in general) . I watched some videos of two different prisons in the same general area in the same state and the difference between the men's prison and the women's prison (including their behavior) was staggering. Even female murderers appear to be treated with more dignity and trust in prison than male ones. Unless their behavior forces the staff to treat them more harshly.

It would be interesting to see this comparison in more than one state though. It could have just been a fluke. But we all know men tend to commit more crimes and their crimes tend to be more violent. And also a man who commits a crime is way more likely to continue to commit them.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:09 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Actually, my understanding of it is that women's prisons are much more civilized than mens (in general) . I watched some videos of two different prisons in the same general area in the same state and the difference between the men's prison and the women's prison (including their behavior) was staggering. Even female murderers appear to be treated with more dignity and trust in prison than male ones. Unless their behavior forces the staff to treat them more harshly.

It would be interesting to see this comparison in more than one state though. It could have just been a fluke. But we all know men tend to commit more crimes and their crimes tend to be more violent. And also a man who commits a crime is way more likely to continue to commit them.
Women are very good at composing themselves when they need to. But you don't have to be as worried about your physical safety generally and the really dangerous female prisoners usually end up with men I think. Either they have a special unit or make some kind of accommodation for them because there aren't enough to make prisons for them usually.

Like I may be wrong, but I think category A prisons in the UK are designed for males, and sometimes female prisoners here will be put in them because I don't think they have category A female prisons.

I don't know how the US divides things though.

Another thing is, dangerous women usually prefer to kill/hurt men if not underaged people. Like this example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterb..._ditch_murders

Quote:
Dennehy, a 30-year-old absent mother of two young children at the time of the killings, specifically targeted men during her killing spree, telling her acquaintance Lloyd that she did not wish to kill a woman and especially not a woman with children. Mark Lloyd stated Dennehy had wanted to kill nine men in total, seeking to be like Bonnie and Clyde.[8] Dennehy stabbed men for the purpose of "entertainment", telling Gary Stretch, "I want my fun. I need you to get my fun." She later told a psychiatrist that she had found murder to be "moreish" and that after the first killing she "got a taste for it."[2][9]
edit: nevermind they apparently put category A female prisoners in Bronzefield which opened in 2004. They call them 'restricted status' for some reason.

Quote:
Category A

These are high security prisons. They house male prisoners who, if they were to escape, pose the most threat to the public, the police or national security.
Quote:
Women and young adults are categorised and held in either closed conditions or open conditions, according to their risks and needs.

Females and young adults who're considered high risk are categorised as ‘restricted status’, meaning they can only be held in a closed prison. In exceptional cases, women and young adults may be held in a high security prison (category A).
Quote:
HM Prison Bronzefield is currently one of only two prisons to house Category A prisoners in the female estate (female and juvenile category-A prisoners are called "restricted status" prisoners). The prison is staffed by about 140 prison custody officers, in a ratio of 50% female and 50% male officers. Bronzefield is also a local prison, taking prisoners directly from the courts. Bronzefield holds a wide range of female offenders, including remand, sentenced and restricted status women.
Kind of confusing.

Quote:
HMP Bronzefield is currently the only purpose-built, privately run women’s prison in the country. It is privately managed by Sodexo, and holds category A adult and young offender female inmates. With a capacity of 527, it’s the largest women’s prison in Europe. The prison opened in 2004, and since then, further extension work has taken place. If you’d like to find out how to get to HMP Bronzefield, simply refer to the map on this page for directions.
Oh dear.

I've only visited one prison and it was category B so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:59 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
Going to prison would be a death sentence for me. So it's not much of a choice.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page