Poll: Majority identify as 'pro-life' - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
Closed Thread

post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:42 PM
SAS Member

yep, abortions are bad for the baby and the moms in this case.

Last edited by justpassinby; 05-17-2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:56 PM
AprŤs moi, le dťluge

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinby View Post
yep, abortions are bad for the baby and the moms in this case.
This is exactly why they should be kept safe and legal.

Have a nice day,
Kelly

Carefully, but full of might.
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Permanently Banned

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
In some ways I think abortion rights might be better protected if they were not regulated at the federal level. Making it a federal issue means that the US government can allow abortion across the land, but also means they can ban it outright from sea to shining sea. If abortion were an issue for the states, it inconceivable that you could actually manage to get 50 states to all agree to ban abortion. It would almost certainly remain legal in some states, virtually eliminating the risk of a nation-wide abortion ban that exists if you have it as a federal issue.
In a lot of states federal law in the only thing keeping it legal. Its not worth the risk of even one state banning it.

post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Aspergian

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 07:45 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihlanth1 View Post
Im more of an anti-life supporter. I support the death penalty (I think more people should be executed) and I support abortion. Less people on earth = less causing suffering onto others. If you dont remember being in a uterus, then that means you didnt feel pain as fetus and you wouldnt even realized you have been killed.

My definition what makes someone legally a person is: If you have consciousness, and can feel pain then you are a living person, otherwise you are a corpse or a fetus. Fetusi most likely do not feel pain and do not have capacity for memory recall.

Life is NOT precious because 6 billion people are already living on this planet. As the population grows, the quallity of life will be further diluted because it will outpace the technological advancements that are necessary to support a reasonable quality of life.

If this was 1500 BCE then I would be pro-life because the human population wasnt nearly as large.
Wouldnt it be easier to sterilize males and females after having two children?

"Toto IV"
It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had............
Sometimes when the world goes crazy all you can do is laugh. It hides the tears.
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Permanently Banned

This really annoy's me. Abortion is legal. Just because it is doesn't me you have to participate. Take me for example. I am for the women's right to choose, but I am also for the life of the fetus.

If a women wants to abort I don't care.
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 PM

<~~~~~ Very very very pro choice. It shouldn't be anyone's business what a woman chooses to do, especially the church.
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
I think WinterDave made a typo. I'm pretty sure the "liberal orthodoxy" is not pro-gun rights.

As for the main issue here, I simply call myself pro-abortion. I deem it the best choice to deal with unwanted pregnancies. I certainly would never force it on anybody, but it certainly would be my recommendation.

The whole pro-life movement means zip. If abortion were outlawed in the US women would simply go to Canada or Europe for abortions. Or are you going to make every woman pee on a stick before leaving the country and prohibit all the pregnant ones from travel abroad?
Sorry, I meant "PRO-GUN CONTROL", more restrictive gun laws....

The NRA, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon America.
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

"Norma Leah McCorvey (Nelson born September 22, 1947, in Simmesport, Louisiana) is best known by the legal pseudonym "Jane Roe" in the landmark American lawsuit Roe v. Wade in 1973. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that laws legislating against abortion are unconstitutional, overturning individual states' laws against abortion. Years later she recanted her support of abortion rights." [1]

Background

"The Roe vs. Wade case took three years of trials to reach the United States Supreme Court. In the meantime, McCorvey had not aborted, but had given birth to the baby in question. In the case, she claimed that her pregnancy was the result of rape. She now claims that to have been untrue.[2]

In the 1980s, McCorvey revealed herself to be the "Jane Roe" of the famous case, and that she had been the "pawn" of two young and ambitious lawyers (Sarah Weddington and Linda Coffee) who were looking for a plaintiff with whom they could challenge the Texas state law prohibiting abortion.[3] In her 1994 autobiography, I Am Roe (her first book), she wrote of her sexuality. For many years she had lived quietly in Dallas, Texas, with her long-time partner, Connie Gonzales. "We're not like other lesbians, going to bars," she said in a New York Times interview. "We're lesbians by ourselves. We're homers."

Conversion

At a signing of I Am Roe, in 1994, McCorvey was befriended by pro-life activist Flip Benham.[citation needed] Within a year, McCorvey converted to Christianity. She was baptized on August 8, 1995, by Benham in a Dallas backyard swimming pool, which event was filmed for national television. Two days later she announced that she had become an advocate of the pro-life movement (specifically, "Operation Rescue"), campaigning to make abortion illegal."

http://www.answers.com/topic/norma-mccorvey

The NRA, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon America.
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Permanently Banned

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterDave View Post
"Norma Leah McCorvey (Nelson born September 22, 1947, in Simmesport, Louisiana) is best known by the legal pseudonym "Jane Roe" in the landmark American lawsuit Roe v. Wade in 1973. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that laws legislating against abortion are unconstitutional, overturning individual states' laws against abortion. Years later she recanted her support of abortion rights." [1]

Background

"The Roe vs. Wade case took three years of trials to reach the United States Supreme Court. In the meantime, McCorvey had not aborted, but had given birth to the baby in question. In the case, she claimed that her pregnancy was the result of rape. She now claims that to have been untrue.[2]

In the 1980s, McCorvey revealed herself to be the "Jane Roe" of the famous case, and that she had been the "pawn" of two young and ambitious lawyers (Sarah Weddington and Linda Coffee) who were looking for a plaintiff with whom they could challenge the Texas state law prohibiting abortion.[3] In her 1994 autobiography, I Am Roe (her first book), she wrote of her sexuality. For many years she had lived quietly in Dallas, Texas, with her long-time partner, Connie Gonzales. "We're not like other lesbians, going to bars," she said in a New York Times interview. "We're lesbians by ourselves. We're homers."

Conversion

At a signing of I Am Roe, in 1994, McCorvey was befriended by pro-life activist Flip Benham.[citation needed] Within a year, McCorvey converted to Christianity. She was baptized on August 8, 1995, by Benham in a Dallas backyard swimming pool, which event was filmed for national television. Two days later she announced that she had become an advocate of the pro-life movement (specifically, "Operation Rescue"), campaigning to make abortion illegal."

http://www.answers.com/topic/norma-mccorvey
Um, your point is? That's old news.
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

As opposed to a link about a woman dying from a 'back alley' abortion FORTY FIVE YEARS AGO.That in contrast, is very relevant I guess....

Karl is right, many liberals are all for a woman's right to 'Choose', EXCEPT for when that woman 'Chooses' to buy a firearm or smoke a cigarette....

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Aspergian

Quote:
Karl is right, many liberals are all for a woman's right to 'Choose', EXCEPT for when that woman 'Chooses' to buy a firearm or smoke a cigarette....
Sweeping stereotypical statements don't really make for a good arguement, conservatives aren't all warmongering, pro-torture, bible thumping haters are they?

If you really want to start an arguement over the hypocrisy of one party you might want to re-think that strategy because when it comes to politics there is more than enough hypocrisy in both parties to go around.

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
If the results of this poll had supported liberal orthodoxy, i.e. atheism, gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-gun control, anti-Patriot Act etc. then it's results would be posted all over the place here, with numerous responses of joy and affirmation.Sounds like 'selective interpretation' based upon political dogma....
I don't care what the poll is for a 1,000 people over the phone is not a good selective sample. Even with cell phones. I searched the site for a breakdown of where they polled and found nothing which leads me to believe that they poll where they want to create a story depending on who's in charge.
post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yes, Karl, does support this thing called freedom in its entirety, while liberals (and conservatives alike) merely pick certain items of freedom they like as if it were a buffet.

Pro-choicers often say "my body, my choice", yet oddly many who think that's a fantastically logical & intellectually sound defense of abortion totally disagree with the very same argument when it's applied to other things like drugs & euthanasia.

They argue about "privacy" being grounds for legal abortion, yet think gun owners should have no privacy at all would like to have every gun registered in a national database. Not that there is much privacy now when every gun purchase requires you to fill out ATF from 4473 that a gun dealer must keep for 20 years and information from that form is transfered to the dealers' bound book that is kept forever and must be handed over to the ATF should that gun dealer go out of business. Maintaining gun purchase records from here to eternity doesn't sound much like privacy to me.
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I agree that there is hypocrisy in BOTH political parties, among some of the rabid supporters of these issues, the special interest groups etc.The political fringes make the news, while the majority of Americans are in the center on these issues.Such as in abortion and firearms. Many Americans want both of these things to be legal but regulated.That's where I find myself on most of these issues.Though I do find some Americans to be VERY hypocritical about the right to smoke....

post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Many Americans want both of these things to be legal but regulated.
Firearms are very heavily regulated, despite what anti-gun groups may tell you. I can't think of any other legal product that has any greater number of restrictions. The anti-gun crowd demands "reasonable restrictions" as if this is some unregulated area. We already have a ton of restrictions. I suspect most of the masses demanding more restrictions don't, for example, even know what restrictions are imposed by the National Firearms Act nor have any clue that it's been around for the last 75 years.

You only need a 352 page book to explain federal gun laws to you: http://www.amazon.com/Laws-America-F...2636880&sr=8-1

Then there are still extensive state & local regulations.
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 AM
SAS Member

I dislike some of the gun laws. I used to carry a 32 cal pistol in my commercial truck but decided to quit doing that because I dont believe commercial vehicle operators are allowed to carry weapons. Plus, when I go to Laredo Texas, near the Mexican border, the border patrol often pulls over drivers and rampages through their belongings and usually have a dog with them. I dont think it should be illegal for commercial drivers to carry weapons. That's a ridiculous law.

"Toto IV"
Sometimes when the world goes crazy all you can do is laugh. It hides the tears.
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
SAS Member

I got one of those calls, and identified myself as pro-life. It's a recording though, and you can only answer yes or no. I wasn't able to explain that I view life as sacred from conception until death, but that I almost always vote democratic despite their stance on abortion, largely because Republicans seem to believe life is only sacred for the first nine months, unless of course you're in the top income bracket.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiper0101 View Post
largely because Republicans seem to believe life is only sacred for the first nine months, unless of course you're in the top income bracket.
lol good answer

"Toto IV"
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylicho View Post
I dislike some of the gun laws. I used to carry a 32 cal pistol in my commercial truck but decided to quit doing that because I dont believe commercial vehicle operators are allowed to carry weapons.
I don't know what the law on that is, but I suspect that even if legal a lot of trucking companies would prefer to avoid the risk of lawsuit in the event of an unjustified shooting, or even a fully justified shooting. Criminals have been known to sue even when they were clearly in the wrong, claiming excessive force.

Why might a driver want a gun? Here's a reminder from L.A. riots of 1992 quoted from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Reginald Oliver Denny, at the time, was a 33 year old white construction truck driver. On the first day of the rioting, Denny was attacked, pulled from his truck and brutally beaten, sustaining serious head and other injuries. As a result of the injuries he suffered during the attacks, Denny had to undergo years of rehabilitative therapy, and his speech and ability to walk were permanently damaged.
If only he had a gun would these thugs have attacked him? Armed men I don't think make the most attractive targets. And had they still have been stupid enough to attack would Denny have ended up in the hospital or would a few thugs with bullet holes be there in his place?
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page