Poll: Majority identify as 'pro-life' - Social Anxiety Forum
Closed Thread

post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Poll: Majority identify as 'pro-life'

Poll: Majority identify as 'pro-life'
Published: May 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM

"A Gallup Poll indicates for the first time since it started asking the question 14 years ago that a majority of U.S. adults describe themselves as "pro-life."

In the poll released Friday, 51 percent called themselves "pro-life," while 42 percent considered themselves "pro-choice," The Washington Post reported Saturday. That's a significant reversal from last year's poll when 50 percent said they were "pro-choice" while 44 percent called themselves "pro-life."

The change comes at a time when the Obama administration is trying to convince those on opposite sides of the abortion battle they can find middle ground, the Post reported.

The poll was conducted via telephone May 7-10 with 1,015 adults and had a margin of error of 3 percentage points."
2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/...9031242490971/

51% identify as 'pro-life' in U.S.
It's the first time the Gallup Poll finds 'pro-choice' outweighed -- at 42% -- and a near-reversal of last year's figures.
By Robin Abcarian

May 16, 2009
"At a time when President Obama is trying to convince opponents in the abortion battle that they can find middle ground -- in rhetoric, if not reality -- a new Gallup Poll shows that more Americans describe themselves as "pro-life" than "pro-choice."

For the first time since it began asking the question in 1995, Gallup reported Friday, a majority of adults questioned for its annual survey on values and beliefs -- 51% -- said that when it comes to abortion, they consider themselves "pro-life"; 42% consider themselves "pro-choice." (The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.)

This represents a significant shift, Gallup noted. As recently as last year, 50% of respondents called themselves "pro-choice" and 44% identified themselves as "pro-life."

Moderate and conservative Republicans accounted for the change; Democrats' attitudes toward abortion remained constant. "It is possible," Gallup said in its analysis, that the president "has pushed the public's understanding of what it means to be 'pro-choice' slightly to the left, politically."

Regarding abortion restrictions, the largest proportion of Americans supports legal abortion only in certain circumstances -- as has been true since 1975 -- according to Gallup. This year the figure is 53%.

At the ends of the spectrum, the number of people who think abortion should be illegal in all circumstances has risen, to 22%, and the number who think it should be legal in any circumstances has fallen, to 23% -- a virtual tie. In the previous few years, people who opposed all restrictions outnumbered advocates of a total ban by a wider margin.

Still, said Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America: "I am pretty confident that Americans really don't want Roe v. Wade overturned." The larger number of Americans calling themselves "pro-life," she said, "doesn't square with what has happened in the last several elections." Keenan cited the rejection of abortion bans by voters in politically conservative South Dakota in 2006 and 2008, and the failure of five other antiabortion ballot measures in California, Oregon and Colorado since 2005.

But antiabortion activists think they have more than the new poll on their side. "This isn't new," said Charmaine Yoest, president of Americans United for Life. "It tracks pretty much with what we've always known: People generally are pro-life depending on how you ask the question."

The poll comes at a delicate moment for Obama, who campaigned saying abortion should be "safe, legal and rare."

During his first three months in office, he took a number of steps that infuriated abortion foes. For example, he lifted abortion restrictions on foreign family-planning groups that receive U.S. funding, and he ended President George W. Bush's ban on embryonic stem cell research.

But Obama has tried at times to appease opponents of abortion rights.

Last month, he backpedaled on a campaign vow to enact the Freedom of Choice Act, which would guarantee the right to legal abortion even if Roe vs. Wade were overturned. He now says the legislation is not a priority.

But Yoest said abortion foes were not placated. "There has been such an avalanche of pro-abortion activity that it's jaw-dropping. It's not just that his rhetoric doesn't square with reality; the gap is Grand Canyon-size. I think this administration has fundamentally miscalculated how out of step they are with the American people."
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,3897855.story

"America may have a president and Congress that support abortion rights, but a new Gallup poll suggests that for the first time such a stance is not the majority view.

Gallup said on Friday that a new poll, conducted May 7 to 10, found “51 percent of Americans calling themselves ‘pro-life’ on the issue of abortion and 42 percent ‘pro-choice.’ This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as pro-life since Gallup began asking this question in 1995.”

“The new results, obtained from Gallup’s annual Values and Beliefs survey, represent a significant shift from a year ago, when 50 percent were pro-choice and 44 percent pro-life. Prior to now, the highest percentage identifying as pro-life was 46 percent, in both August 2001 and May 2002.”

Underscoring how divisive the issue remains, the poll further found that 23 percent of Americans felt abortion should be illegal in all circumstances and 22 percent said it should be legal in all circumstances.

Still, it found that 53 percent held to a middle view — that is should be legal in certain circumstances. That figure, Gallup said, has been steady since 1975.

A few other things stand out. The percentage of Republicans and those who lean to that party who lablel themselves “pro-life” rose by 10 percentage points over the past year to 70 percent. As there was essentially no shift among Democrats on this issue (33 percent said they were “pro-life,” unchanged since last year) much of the shift clearly came from the Republican side. Does this suggest a hardening among the party faithful, whose numbers have also been in decline, in reaction to the Democratic administration of President Barack Obama?

Much of the opposition to abortion in America has been faith-based, led mostly though not exclusively by conservative Catholics and evangelicals. The latter in particular have for decades been a key base of support for the Republican Party.

There has been much recent talk among the media and Republican strategists that the party needs to move away from divisive social issues like abortion and gay marriage in a bid to broaden a base which many see as shrinking. This poll will be ammunition for those who say the party needs to stick its guns on these issues.

The findings are sure to stir both sides of this emotional debate, especially as Obama seeks to fill a new vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court, where the legality of issues such as abortion can ultimately be decided."
http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/...an-pro-choice/

The NRA, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

President Obama has decided to withhold the release of further torture photos until American troops are out of harm's way (a sensible policy).He is also talking about resuming 'Military Tribunals' and perhaps holding SOME 'Enemy Combatants' indefinitely.And now a new poll shows that 'Pro-Lifer's' outnumber 'Pro-Choicers'.....All in all, it has been a VERY BAD week for fringe Democrats!

The NRA, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon America.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 06:13 AM

About a 1,000 people over the phone (re:old people) zzz wake me when it's a real poll and not a media created story.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Permanently Banned

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwjack View Post
About a 1,000 people over the phone (re:old people) zzz wake me when it's a real poll and not a media created story.

The anti-choice movement is going to be more active now as there is a pro-choice president in office.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

If the results of this poll had supported liberal orthodoxy, i.e. atheism, gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-gun control, anti-Patriot Act etc. then it's results would be posted all over the place here, with numerous responses of joy and affirmation.Sounds like 'selective interpretation' based upon political dogma....

post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwjack View Post
Does Gallup call cell phones?

We receive a lot of questions about cell phones and their implications for survey research. The short answer to the questions: Gallup includes cell phones in each and every national Gallup Poll survey. Contrary to what appears to be conventional wisdom, those Americans who only have cell phones are not excluded from Gallup Poll national samples.

It is surprising to find that many observers assume that the survey research industry isn't aware of the fact that increasing numbers of Americans are using cell phones in addition to, or in lieu of, traditional landline phones.

The industry -- and Gallup -- is, of course, exceedingly aware of this phenomenon. For example, the recent annual conference of the American Association for Public Opinion Research included seven scientific sessions, each with four or more scientific papers, dealing specifically with the cell phone issue. This is not a new issue and one the industry has been very carefully analyzing for years. The facts are clear. Up to 15% of households now use cell phones only. Studies show that these households tend to be younger, more minorities, and more transient.

Gallup's methodologists and survey scientists have carefully assessed and monitored the cell phone situation in a number of ways. Gallup has studied, researched, conducted test polling, analyzed existing data, examined the implications of the inclusion or exclusion of cell phones -- and all in all come at the issue of cell phones in almost every way possible.

The bottom line: Since Jan. 2, 2008, Gallup has been including cell phone-only households in all of our national telephone Gallup Poll surveys. Households that have only cell phones are now as eligible to fall into our national Gallup Poll samples as those living in traditional landline households.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Do you expect them to call everybody for this question?
We may be more pro-life and conservative on some issues than even the most liberal would like to think.

I thank my mom for not aborting me. For those of us born after 1973, a good percentage of our generation isn't here to say that.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterDave View Post
If the results of this poll had supported liberal orthodoxy, i.e. atheism, gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-gun rights, anti-Patriot Act etc. then it's results would be posted all over the place here, with numerous responses of joy and affirmation.Sounds like 'selective interpretation' based upon political dogma....
I think WinterDave made a typo. I'm pretty sure the "liberal orthodoxy" is not pro-gun rights.

As for the main issue here, I simply call myself pro-abortion. I deem it the best choice to deal with unwanted pregnancies. I certainly would never force it on anybody, but it certainly would be my recommendation.

The whole pro-life movement means zip. If abortion were outlawed in the US women would simply go to Canada or Europe for abortions. Or are you going to make every woman pee on a stick before leaving the country and prohibit all the pregnant ones from travel abroad?
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Après moi, le déluge

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
I thank my mom for not aborting me. For those of us born after 1973, a good percentage of our generation isn't here to say that.
Neither is a good percentage of the previous generations, but in that case, their moms probably aren't here either.

Have a nice day,
Kelly

Carefully, but full of might.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:23 PM
SAS Member

One reason I think the Catholic church in the US is very pro immigration, just means more pro-life catholic Americans. We can only expect the pro-life movement to gain power with more immigration. I notice the catholic church seems to be taking a more aggressive approach lately. Scranton's bishop Martino keeps threatening to bar sen.Casey from communion for a recent pro choice vote even though Casey is largely pro-life. Also threatening some local catholic college for having gay rights speaker etc. Threatening to have them remove any claims they make of being a catholic university. I'm not catholic bashing btw just observing a trend.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
One reason I think the Catholic church in the US is very pro immigration, just means more pro-life catholic Americans. We can only expect the pro-life movement to gain power with more immigration. I notice the catholic church seems to be taking a more aggressive approach lately. Scranton's bishop Martino keeps threatening to bar sen.Casey from communion for a recent pro choice vote even though Casey is largely pro-life. Also threatening some local catholic college for having gay rights speaker etc. Threatening to have them remove any claims they make of being a catholic university. I'm not catholic bashing btw just observing a trend.
The Catholic Church is very pro-life, but I don't know if they really think that way about immigration. That is why there is such an uproar in South Bend, Indiana this weekend with President Obama speaking at the University of Notre Dame commencement today. A lot of the controversy has been on the abortion issue alone as of late.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 PM
SAS Member

if anyone is still pro-choice or pro-abortion, look up a young woman named Gianna Jessen and watch some of her talks.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:53 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
The Catholic Church is very pro-life, but I don't know if they really think that way about immigration. That is why there is such an uproar in South Bend, Indiana this weekend with President Obama speaking at the University of Notre Dame commencement today. A lot of the controversy has been on the abortion issue alone as of late.
I thought they were very pro immigration and for granting any illegal immigrants legal status. I could be wrong though I confess I haven't researched it. I do believe though the only really growing catholic congregations are largely Hispanic.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Do you expect them to call everybody for this question?
We may be more pro-life and conservative on some issues than even the most liberal would like to think.

Abortion was just as common before 1973. Lets see how many people aren't here because of women who died from unsafe and illegal methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterDave View Post
If the results of this poll had supported liberal orthodoxy, i.e. atheism, gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-gun rights, anti-Patriot Act etc. then it's results would be posted all over the place here, with numerous responses of joy and affirmation.Sounds like 'selective interpretation' based upon political dogma....
Oh yes, something completely uheard of from the consevative orthodxy.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
One reason I think the Catholic church in the US is very pro immigration, just means more pro-life catholic Americans. We can only expect the pro-life movement to gain power with more immigration.
I hadn't thought about that before, but I guess you have a point. Isn't "Jesus" a reasonably common Hispanic name? And it does seem that Catholicism is the dominant religion of Mexico & Latin America, the area that provides most US immigrants in modern times.

I just had to look it up. Jesus ranks at #129 in terms of most common male first names in the US; Karl ranks #228.
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinby View Post
if anyone is still pro-choice or pro-abortion, look up a young woman named Gianna Jessen and watch some of her talks.
If anyone is anti choice or pro life, look up some young women named Gerri Twerdy Santoro, Becky Bell and Spring Adams. Read their obituaries.
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
If anyone is anti choice or pro life, look up some young women named Gerri Twerdy Santoro, Becky Bell and Spring Adams. Read their obituaries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerri_Twerdy_Santoro :

Quote:
Police took a photograph of Santoro's body as it was found: naked, kneeling, collapsed upon the floor, with a bloody towel between her legs. This picture was published in Ms. magazine in April 1973. It has since become a pro-choice symbol, used to illustrate the belief that access to legal, professionally-performed abortion reduces deaths from unsafe abortion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becky_Bell :

Quote:
Rebecca "Becky" Suzanne Bell (August 24, 1971–September 16, 1988[1]) was an American woman who died as a result of a back-alley abortion in 1988. She lived in Indianapolis, Indiana. [2]

Bell became pregnant at age 17, but under a state law in Indiana, minors required parental consent to obtain an abortion. Said to be unwilling to tell her parents about her pregnancy for fear of disappointing them, or go to court to receive a judicial bypass, Bell sought an illegal abortion. Within a week of the procedure, she became seriously ill and died from a massive infection. [1]
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 PM
gone

Doesn't really matter what the majority wants; the SCOTUS decides based on legal precedent and the Constitution.
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Doesn't really matter what the majority wants; the SCOTUS decides based on legal precedent and the Constitution.
The Supreme Court is activist on both the liberal & conservative sides. They are hardly insulated from politics given that members are appointed by Presidents. It's probably one of the greatest powers a president has. He could name a justice who's relatively young like 45 and there is no retirement age so that justice could potentially be there deciding the law of the land for the next 40 years. A president, of course, risks picking somebody who turns on them since they can express their true views once on the court since there is no way to get rid of them till they retire voluntarily or die.

The US Constitution doesn't mention abortion at all, thus many libertarians who take their Constitution literally would deem abortion to not be a federal issue at all.

In some ways I think abortion rights might be better protected if they were not regulated at the federal level. Making it a federal issue means that the US government can allow abortion across the land, but also means they can ban it outright from sea to shining sea. If abortion were an issue for the states, it inconceivable that you could actually manage to get 50 states to all agree to ban abortion. It would almost certainly remain legal in some states, virtually eliminating the risk of a nation-wide abortion ban that exists if you have it as a federal issue.
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Im more of an anti-life supporter. I support the death penalty (I think more people should be executed) and I support abortion. Less people on earth = less causing suffering onto others. If you dont remember being in a uterus, then that means you didnt feel pain as fetus and you wouldnt even realized you have been killed.

My definition what makes someone legally a person is: If you have consciousness, and can feel pain then you are a living person, otherwise you are a corpse or a fetus. Fetusi most likely do not feel pain and do not have capacity for memory recall.

Life is NOT precious because 6 billion people are already living on this planet. As the population grows, the quallity of life will be further diluted because it will outpace the technological advancements that are necessary to support a reasonable quality of life.

If this was 1500 BCE then I would be pro-life because the human population wasnt nearly as large.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page