People Are Ruder Than Ever Before. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Unhappy

People Are Ruder Than Ever Before.

Because of lockdown I've noticed people are more rude. I've had people act passive aggresively towards me regarding social distancing It makes me really not want to go outside because there is such a bad atmosphere and passive aggression. People looking suspicously at each other. I hate it.

Does anyone else feel like people are extra rude right now, or, is it just me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 08:09 AM
Temporarily Banned

Language: Enlgish
I walked past a middle aged couple at the park this morning, they stepped to the side to get away from me and the guy was looking at me all angry lol.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 08:13 AM
SAS Member

No it's not just you. I'm getting this impression in my life too. I never say hi or smile at people anymore. Except last night on my walk I said hello to two strangers and they said hi back. I don't know

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
A Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
I walked past a middle aged couple at the park this morning, they stepped to the side to get away from me and the guy was looking at me all angry lol.
People are just scared of each other now....God knows what peoples attitudes will be like towards each other when this is over

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 08:59 AM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese, French, German, English
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
Because of lockdown I've noticed people are more rude. I've had people act passive aggresively towards me regarding social distancing It makes me really not want to go outside because there is such a bad atmosphere and passive aggression. People looking suspicously at each other. I hate it.

Does anyone else feel like people are extra rude right now, or, is it just me?
You are underestimating the problem. I have been working since day one of the lockdown and people are acting like a--holes very often. I don't remember how many people wanted to buy a few boxes of masks and when told we can't sell that much to a single person, they start a big argument because of it.

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 09:09 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
People are just scared of each other now....God knows what peoples attitudes will be like towards each other when this is over
It will be worse than the lockdown. Many people will lose their jobs. It's a fact. It is unavoidable. How do you think people who lost their jobs will behave? They are already about the fact of staying home in safety and getting paid 80% of their salary (at least it's how it works here).

I am preparing myself for the worst.

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist." ~ Our Lady of La Salette
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
A Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTimes View Post
It will be worse than the lockdown. Many people will lose their jobs. It's a fact. It is unavoidable. How do you think people who lost their jobs will behave? They are already about the fact of staying home in safety and getting paid 80% of their salary (at least it's how it works here).

I am preparing myself for the worst.
Same. People will be rude to each other for years to come...I'm scared. Everytime I've been outside people have been rude to me It ruins my whole day.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 10:27 AM
SAS Member

I was in the store a few weeks ago and I went into an aisle to get something. There was a woman and the closer I went in the further the woman was practically running away from me. I thought it was funny...but at the same time I know we should take it serious just for our safety. I think people are paranoid and panicking and its making them more rude.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

Here there have been people being pretty nasty - spitting on nurses on the tram apparently or even at workers in the supermarkets. Really acting like pigs. Plus of course people were being ridiculous back when things like toilet paper were in short supply - getting aggressive with each other etc.

But there's also a lot of people that are doing good things too. People making masks in their homes and businesses, people donating money. One guy I saw yesterday is selling a penthouse he owns up in Queensland and giving all the money to his local hospital for research into Coronavirus. Should go for several million dollars.

When I go for my walks there are a few people that keep their distance - that's understandable. But quite a lot of people smile and say hello. It's like there's a camaraderie between us because we're all so sick of being inside all the time.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 11:30 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
I have been out very little so I don't know what people are like out there now, but I do notice that people online seem a bit more cranky these days.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 12:47 PM
SAS Member

I go out very little anyways since my looks constantly cause me to get ridiculed in public when things are normal. But it’s been worse lately. During a short walk to a park today I had the following happen:

1.Two kids call me a monster and throw a few rocks at me. Their parents just laughed and made no attempts to scold them.

2.People jogging by spit at me.

3. And was called various other names by people walking by.

When things are normal and I’m out, I’m called names maybe once or twice. But now it’s a good dozen times.

And for people whom think I’m paranoid, I’m not. I also will not post my picture to prove how fugly I am so don’t even bothering pming and asking me to do that.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 01:00 PM
SAS Member

I think this COVID-19 is really bad for people who were germaphobes before this thing started. Other people treat it like "eh". I was having trouble with my Internet and I had to call the ISP. I hate doing that. The man had to come out and check things. I put on a mask and gloves. He came with no mask or gloves and said, I'm so tired of putting on gloves and using hand sanitizer. If I get it, I get it. He wasn't reckless, He kept his distance. As a Custodian, I completely understand where He's coming from. It is really hard to keep changing gloves all the time. Your hands get extremely sweaty and it's hard to do your duties in them.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 04:26 PM
Gangsta Crayon

My ****ty coworkers have always been *******s but I've noticed them being even more rude since early March. Customers have been meaner, too. I hate people and no one takes bullying seriously at all. They all just think it's hahahaha funny. Oh well.

One ******* customer pointed his finger in my face and accused me of lying cause I told him I didn't have a certain item in. Then he goes, "I know you do cause I got it here before" while pointing his finger at me. So I firmly told him with a smile, "No, I didn't say I dont have it all. I said I have to order it and I don't have it here today."

These people like to act like my store is Walmart, like we have everything all the time then act all psycho about it.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Yes, didn't you get the memo we have to be extra rude & ignorant at times like these, cause it helps kill germs <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/troll.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 09:53 PM
SAS Member

I think almost everyone i cross paths with is a complete jerk, but i don't think there are more inconsiderate people now as opposed to 2 months ago. I just think the only difference is panic has set in and people are on edge. If they want the last roll of toilet paper or pasta or hand sanitizer, they might kill someone to get it, or if you are walking near them, they might freak out and yell at you. I have no faith in people anymore, so i am not giving you a phony answer. People are untrustworthy and snide know it alls in big cities and out in the country, and I wouldn't trust someone as far as i could throw them.
I still think despite people now being desperate now for supplies, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, food, and cagey about getting in their personal space to avoid contracting anything, people are just as big jerks as they were 2 months ago, all things considered
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 10:30 PM
S F C 0 1

My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly View Post

Really? How do you stop yourself from toeing their face in?

Dont just do something. sit there !!

Southampton FC
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 11:39 PM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Dead
I've had an uncontrollable tick cough for over 6 years now, so with paranoia and tension this high I can only imagine how I'll be looked at when the quarantine is over.

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 12:30 AM
We all wear a mask.

Working with the general public every day, it is certainly observable that survival instinct is at least on the precipice of "kicking in".

People are desperate and will do anything to achieve their means right now. Since the Colorado "stay-at-home" order was issued, I've certainly seen folks display a more temperamental demeanor towards my person at work and it is mentally draining to deal with every day.

My worry about the virus has always been more about the reaction to it rather than the virus itself. Society is very malleable right now, our customs can either be strengthened or they can completely collapse if people lose faith in the process even more so than they already have.

We haven't lived in anything remotely close to "real" since the turn of the century.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 12:34 AM
Social Pothole

Been both for me. Most were actually nicer than usual. But some were more hostile, especially when they thought I was walking too close to them. Ironically they are always the ones walking or stopping in the middle of the path. But overall, quite the opposite for me, most were nicer, more smiling and acknowledgement greeting than normal.

Although there have been more property and opportunistic crime. Crooks taking advantage of the pandemic and shelter in place orders.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 03:51 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly View Post
I go out very little anyways since my looks constantly cause me to get ridiculed in public when things are normal. But itís been worse lately. During a short walk to a park today I had the following happen:

1.Two kids call me a monster and throw a few rocks at me. Their parents just laughed and made no attempts to scold them.

3. And was called various other names by people walking by.

When things are normal and Iím out, Iím called names maybe once or twice. But now itís a good dozen times.

And for people whom think Iím paranoid, Iím not. I also will not post my picture to prove how fugly I am so donít even bothering pming and asking me to do that.
People are getting more and more aggressive on top of being a lot more rude.

Yesterday I had a hefty fight with a client inside the pharmacy. I completely lost it and told him to go to some other pharmacy. My boss was a little surprised by my behaviour but he really pushed me over the edge.

Today I had a client who became rude because I told him I could only sell him 5 FFP2 masks (he wanted a lot more). He left cursing me.

It is becoming a daily occurence. And I see more people behaving badly than nicely. (I did have a few nice people like a dentist who brought us all his stock of masks because he is not allowed to work and we need them. Also people thanking "us" for being out there when they get to stay home).

But the bad people outnumber them by far. And it is getting worse.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page