Pakistan passes bill to protect Women's rights. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Pakistan passes bill to protect Women's rights.

Women's rights groups in Pakistan have welcomed the passing of a bill which will punish those who force women into marriages, or deny them inheritance.

Anyone convicted of forcing a woman into marriage or of receiving her inheritance will be sentenced to prison for 3-10 years or will have to pay a fine of about $6,000, when the Anti-Women's Practices Bill comes into effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Permanently Banned

Smile

Happy news!

Finally! Some good news in the Middle East. I just hope it doesn't end like religious conservatives trying to overthrow the president/prime minister like they did to that Iraqi leader in the 80s/90s... What was his name again? Even if it only takes baby steps to change, then baby steps are good...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Starlight and moonbeams

I am really glad that this bill passed. Hopefully there will be more to follow.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa10 View Post
Finally! Some good news in the Middle East. I just hope it doesn't end like religious conservatives trying to overthrow the president/prime minister like they did to that Iraqi leader in the 80s/90s... What was his name again? Even if it only takes baby steps to change, then baby steps are good...
Pakistan isn't in the Middle East....

Anyways, this is a very good step, however there need to be some massive cultural changes in Pakistan for these laws to actually mean something. If honor killings are a regular occurrence, I don't know what they expect a fine to do. It is great that Islamabad is progressive, and forward thinking however places like Waziristan are just lawless.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Permanently Banned

Smile

Reply to LonelyJew

Whoops, forgive my lack of Middle East geography. You're right about the cultural thing, though. Maybe they can start with the media? Ya know, like books and the media showing women in a positive/non-submissive way by famous authors that are well recieved all over there and actors/actresses?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 PM
I can't take this...

Pakistan is considered a part of the middle east. (Some dispute this and group it with India instead.)

Anyway, this is great! I'm glad this passed.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:55 PM
giraffe

Pakistan is really not part of the middle east since it is culturally and ethnically, as well as geographically distinct from the middle east. I believe it is considered part of South Asia. Anyway, this is great news for Pakistani society.

All you have is your fire,
& the place you need to reach.
Don't you ever tame your demons,
but always keep them on a leash.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Permanently Banned

the middle east is too ****ed up at the moment. the governments can try all they want to liberalize things a bit, but it's futile. there are just too many extreme religious conservatives. yeah, religion is a neat tool to keep the masses under a leash. but too much of it and it backfires. I'm digressing though.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Its dawn here

Honestly speaking it will be of no use until govt mean it......
I have read/heard of many disasters with pakistani women,there are so so many restrictions on them,forced to wear burkha n many more..it seems to me as if women are only treated as a means of bringing forth a new life n nothing else.....
m sorry if I am so rude in my post..but I really mean sympathy to their condition

I have a heart 14 years old!!!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJVINDERKAUR View Post
Honestly speaking it will be of no use until govt mean it......
I have read/heard of many disasters with pakistani women,there are so so many restrictions on them,forced to wear burkha n many more..it seems to me as if women are only treated as a means of bringing forth a new life n nothing else.....
m sorry if I am so rude in my post..but I really mean sympathy to their condition
I'm not trying to argue what you said, since those things do happen in Pakistan, but stuff like that happens in India too you know, and at a much larger scale. - You should focus on your own country before others.

As for Pakistan being in the middle east - it is not. Many people group it with the middle east since a.) It's close to the middle east or/and b.) It's an Islamic state and has always been grouped with other middle east countries. Pakistan is in South Asia - a culture/traditions and languages much different than that of the middle east.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 AM
SAS Member

Really a gr8 news for all Pakistani women..God bless Pakistan!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 PM
SAS Member

I wonder if those laws are stronger than what is in the US?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
Cool, some really great news!

Kudos to them I guess.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:20 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
It's sickening to think that that happens still.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
It's sickening to think that that happens still.
Yes, it is very sickening. Stuff like this happens everywhere. America, Britain, Pakistan, India, China, Japan and so on.

http://www.now.org/issues/violence/stats.html

Quote:
MURDER

In 2005, 1,181 women were murdered by an intimate partner. That's an average of three women every day. Of all the women murdered in the U.S., about one-third were killed by an intimate partner.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006....justinmccurry

Quote:
The number of reported cases of domestic violence in Japan soared to a record high last year - a sign that victims are overcoming cultural taboos that once forced them to stay silent, campaigners say.

Police received 16,888 complaints of incidents of abuse, a 17% increase on 2005. The national police agency said this included 87 murders and attempted murders, an increase of 16%.
It's what the country and it's government are doing about it that matters.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 PM
SAS Member

Awesome! It's always nice 2 hear good news like this!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuyaz View Post

Women's rights groups in Pakistan have welcomed the passing of a bill which will punish those who force women into marriages, or deny them inheritance.

Anyone convicted of forcing a woman into marriage or of receiving her inheritance will be sentenced to prison for 3-10 years or will have to pay a fine of about $6,000, when the Anti-Women's Practices Bill comes into effect.
as far as I know it's against their religion since 1400+ years,, it's just their culture! anyway!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Its dawn here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuyaz View Post
I'm not trying to argue what you said, since those things do happen in Pakistan, but stuff like that happens in India too you know, and at a much larger scale. - You should focus on your own country before others.

As for Pakistan being in the middle east - it is not. Many people group it with the middle east since a.) It's close to the middle east or/and b.) It's an Islamic state and has always been grouped with other middle east countries. Pakistan is in South Asia - a culture/traditions and languages much different than that of the middle east.
Lol I understand ur point of u n m not taking any country's since..not even mine too...i have many muslim friends too n I know abt them a lot,moreover that have the same view as I have elaborated in this..India is one in all respects..religion or states whatever is...

I have a heart 14 years old!!!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page