Majority think Bush is failing... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Majority think Bush is failing...

Better late than never, I guess...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/...oll/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 07:52 AM

He's likely to go down in history as one of our worst presidents in the company of Pierce, Buchanan, and Andrew Johnson.

I'm surprised by the stats showing that a majority feel his administration--apparently including Bush himself--deliberately misled the U.S. into the war. Personally, I would have voted undecided, having always thought that the CIA screwed up, with Bush not admitting the mistake until recently.

I wonder how the state of things would be if Kerry had been elected president. Any better? I don't know--but I really can't see how it could have been any worse.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkidding
I wonder how the state of things would be if Kerry had been elected president. Any better? I don't know--but I really can't see how it could have been any worse.
or what about the state of things in the US if al-gore had been elected in the first place?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:18 AM
SAS Member

well, brimontz, wait until november.

in your state of ohio, blackwell and dewine are both going to win despite bush and certainly taft dragging down the gop.

hey, did you see where g.i. hacket compared christian evangelicals to osama?

"charge the enemy! and remember you are from old virginia." george pickett. july 3, 1863.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Après moi, le déluge

Quote:
Originally Posted by one dumb user name

in your state of ohio, blackwell and dewine are both going to win despite bush and certainly taft dragging down the gop.

Ken Blackwell is trying to push through a bill to limit the amount of state funding that state and local governments could use. He wants to be able to say that he lowered taxes.

But the problem is that where else is state funding supposed to go? These "state and local governments" have had their funding cut too much already in the past few years. How much more can they cut? Plus, there's always new requirements put on these places - like Taft wants to reform education. Where are schools going to get the money if they keep cutting their budget? Every election in the past few years there's been a school levy, a fire levy, a police levy, a city levy. They can't afford to get their budget cut anymore.

For example, my boyfriend's library got their budget cut over a period of three years by nine million dollars. They had to stop buying any non-essential new books, stop doing repairs on library buildings, close a branch and cancel the bookmobile, and 25 people lost their jobs, plus anyone if anyone left a postion, it wouldn't be filled, so there were branches without children's librarians, for example.

Then they had and passed a levy to replace the nine million dollars, only to have their budget cut by three million more dollars before the levy money ever showed up. The decided not to hire people for the vacant positions and stop doing building repairs, including one branch that needs a new roof because it won't stop leaking.

Now, this amendment (on the ballot in November) will cut his library's funding by $19 MILLION DOLLARS.

I can't see how ANYONE could know that their government is virtually trying to shut down not only it's libraries, but it's schools, police, fire, and city governments and still want to vote for those people. What the hell is wrong with them??

We need an active campaign against this amendment. We need to have all these goverment funded services band together and advertise what's going to happen. We need commercials where little kids walk up to the entrance of their schools and have the door have a big sign that says, "Closed because of Bob Taft and Ken Blackwell."

And Jim Petro is no better. He's already running commericals saying that he's a Christian with Christian values and that marriage is between a man and a woman. He was running them long before Christmas!

Have a nice day,
Kelly

P.S. The name of the amendment is the TEL amendment.

Carefully, but full of might.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia
Have a nice day,
Kelly
I was so ready to come here and throw my support behind your post because we share such similar political views, but then I read it and realized that I don't have any freaking clue who Bob Taft or Ken Blackwell are.

But!!! I trust your judgment and your post makes sense, closing public services & institutions is indeed a sad thing.. so rest assured, Kelly, if I lived in Ohio I would probably totally vote those two clowns out of office.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:53 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Bob Taft is our governor. Ken Blackwell is probably some attorney general or something.

Jim Petro is our state auditor. I wonder if he ain't doin' his job? An audit is what our crooked state needs.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:38 PM
SAS Member

blackwell is ohio's sec of state.

i know nothing about the amendment hypatia speaks about. ive never been one to study policy. im just a political guy.

blackwell is a good candidate and smarte than eople realize. ted strickland is a silly populist who is a perfect fit for his congressional district in eastern ohio (which is infested with hill people), but he wont make it statewide.

blackwell should do like bush and concentrate on the suburbs and exurbs of columbus. add that to hamilton county and he wins.

as for the us senate race, dewine is certainly an inept, but paul hackett is crazy and woefully unprepared for a statewide race. i guess sherrod brown is also running. i dont take either seriously.

"charge the enemy! and remember you are from old virginia." george pickett. july 3, 1863.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:58 PM
SAS Member

There's no question GW Bush is one of the worst presidents of all time. I don't think Kerry would have been a savior or anything, but he would have done a respectable job, and that's far more than Bush has ever done.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:50 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf8585
There's no question GW Bush is one of the worst presidents of all time. I don't think Kerry would have been a savior or anything, but he would have done a respectable job, and that's far more than Bush has ever done.
Doesn't surprise me Bush is terrible. He has pretty much failed at every business he has ran. I don't also like Kerry. He is just a Bush lite. They better run someone decent in 2008, or otherwise I will stay home on election day. Why waste my time. I could vote third party, but they wouldn't ever have a chance of winning.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

That just means there are a lot of stupid people supporting the GOP in Ohio despite how poorly the Republicans have run things in this state.

However, I've also read a lot where the GOP itself is pushing Blackwell because they don't think he'll win, and he'll be out of their hair. Even the Ohio Republican Party doesn't like Blackwell, who's almost as bad as Taft himself.

Taft makes GW seem like a genius. One of the worst governors in history, and this state has had some really bad ones, on both sides of the aisle.

I don't know that I'd compare Christian evangelicals to Osama, but I would compare them to the Taliban. Not as bad as the Taliban, obviously, but just as arrogant in their view that their interpretation of their holy text as being the only correct interpretation. Evangelical Christians are often a bad representations of all Christian people.

Brian
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose
Quote:
Have a nice day,
Kelly
I was so ready to come here and throw my support behind your post because we share such similar political views, but then I read it and realized that I don't have any freaking clue who Bob Taft or Ken Blackwell are.

But!!! I trust your judgment and your post makes sense, closing public services & institutions is indeed a sad thing.. so rest assured, Kelly, if I lived in Ohio I would probably totally vote those two clowns out of office.
Taft is great-grandson of former President Taft. He must have gotten as far as he has by his name only, because he certainly didn't get that far on ability. Blackwell is his underling.

Brian
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

i know nothing about the amendment hypatia speaks about. ive never been one to study policy. im just a political guy.

blackwell is a good candidate and smarte than eople realize. ted strickland is a silly populist who is a perfect fit for his congressional district in eastern ohio (which is infested with hill people), but he wont make it statewide.

blackwell should do like bush and concentrate on the suburbs and exurbs of columbus. add that to hamilton county and he wins.

as for the us senate race, dewine is certainly an inept, but paul hackett is crazy and woefully unprepared for a statewide race. i guess sherrod brown is also running. i dont take either seriously.
Calling Blackwell a good candidate shows that you don't know much about Ohio politics. Even the Republican Party doesn't really want him.

Brian
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:56 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimontz
Quote:

Calling Blackwell a good candidate shows that you don't know much about Ohio politics. Even the Republican Party doesn't really want him.

Brian
actually i know quite a bit about ohio politics.

blackwell is certainly underestimated. the state democrat party is on life support. ted strickland doesnt have what it takes.

if blackwell is slightly better than taft, then he is in good shape. after all, taft won two terms as governor.

you democrats thought you had the buckeye state wrapped up for kerry too and you got your hats handed to you. strickland cant win in the suburbs. period.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 PM
In the doghouse

I think he fails occasionally as a public speaker. For instance, when he loses track of what he's saying which results in a good 15 second pause. Or perhaps a string of "um, ah, ah, ah". The dude is really hilarious to watch when he's speaking in public. Then again, he's gangbuster's when compared to me.

Matt

"I know that human beings & fish can co-exist peacefully."

-George W. Bush

"
These are real bad times, bro. Islam is cracking up. We got women talking back. We got people playing stringed instruments. It's the end of days! "

-Azzam al-Britani

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

blackwell is certainly underestimated. the state democrat party is on life support. ted strickland doesnt have what it takes.

if blackwell is slightly better than taft, then he is in good shape. after all, taft won two terms as governor.

you democrats thought you had the buckeye state wrapped up for kerry too and you got your hats handed to you. strickland cant win in the suburbs. period.
I beg to disagree. If you knew as much as you claim to, you'd know that the GOP in Ohio really wants nothing to do with Blackwell. Yet you keep implying that he's such a great and "underestimated" choice. His own party doesn't care for him, and his actions really pissed off Democrats who might have been inclined to vote for him. How is he a good choice for the Republican party? The Ohio Republican Party's attitude is, if he loses, he's the sacrificial lamb, and he's out of our hair; if he wins, he wins.

As for the Democrats, it's not a matter of policy, but it's the same thing as the Democratic Party on a national level -- they don't have the [email protected]@ls to fight like they should. Attack ads, unfortunately, work. Kerry tried to stay above those inexcusable ads attacking his military service. It would not have taken much to attack GW's "military" (I use that term loosely in his case) background. The Democrats being wimps doesn't mean that people are necessarily going to vote for the Republican candidate, however.

Being "slightly better" than Taft is not enough. Taft won the last election simply by using the George Herbert Walker Bush lie tactic of claiming that he wouldn't have to raise tactics, while his opponent was honest and said that some taxes would have to be raised to help clean up Taft's mess from his first term. People didn't want to hear the truth, particularly the Republicans in this state, so they voted for Taft, who then turned around and raised taxes mere weeks after his second term started to help clean up the mess from his first term. Blackwell was heavily involved in this as well.

Saying you're knowledgeable about Ohio politics doesn't mean you actually are, ODUN. Hell, it wasn't that long ago the last time you injected yourself into a discussion about Ohio politics where you went on and on about how Taft was a good governor. At least you're starting to come around!

Brian
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:59 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimontz
Quote:

I beg to disagree. If you knew as much as you claim to, you'd know that the GOP in Ohio really wants nothing to do with Blackwell. Yet you keep implying that he's such a great and "underestimated" choice. His own party doesn't care for him, and his actions really pissed off Democrats who might have been inclined to vote for him. How is he a good choice for the Republican party? The Ohio Republican Party's attitude is, if he loses, he's the sacrificial lamb, and he's out of our hair; if he wins, he wins.

As for the Democrats, it's not a matter of policy, but it's the same thing as the Democratic Party on a national level -- they don't have the [email protected]@ls to fight like they should. Attack ads, unfortunately, work. Kerry tried to stay above those inexcusable ads attacking his military service. It would not have taken much to attack GW's "military" (I use that term loosely in his case) background. The Democrats being wimps doesn't mean that people are necessarily going to vote for the Republican candidate, however.

Being "slightly better" than Taft is not enough. Taft won the last election simply by using the George Herbert Walker Bush lie tactic of claiming that he wouldn't have to raise tactics, while his opponent was honest and said that some taxes would have to be raised to help clean up Taft's mess from his first term. People didn't want to hear the truth, particularly the Republicans in this state, so they voted for Taft, who then turned around and raised taxes mere weeks after his second term started to help clean up the mess from his first term. Blackwell was heavily involved in this as well.

Saying you're knowledgeable about Ohio politics doesn't mean you actually are, ODUN. Hell, it wasn't that long ago the last time you injected yourself into a discussion about Ohio politics where you went on and on about how Taft was a good governor. At least you're starting to come around!

Brian
ive heard that voinivich and dewine dont like blackwell. he should wear that as a badge of honor, however.

i dont recall ever saying taft was a good governor. he has mainly been an inept governor. the excessive criticisms of taft (by both sides) is unwarranted.

i have voiced my frustrations about republicans calling taft a 'rino' (republican in name only). whatever flaws the man may have, his republican credentials are solid.

blackwell will beat either strickland or fingerhut. and if the ohio republican party is really unhappy with blackwell, there is a primary coming up. i believe the state auditor is running against him?

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:40 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:

Ken Blackwell is trying to push through a bill to limit the amount of state funding that state and local governments could use. He wants to be able to say that he lowered taxes.

But the problem is that where else is state funding supposed to go? These "state and local governments" have had their funding cut too much already in the past few years. How much more can they cut? Plus, there's always new requirements put on these places - like Taft wants to reform education. Where are schools going to get the money if they keep cutting their budget? Every election in the past few years there's been a school levy, a fire levy, a police levy, a city levy. They can't afford to get their budget cut anymore.

For example, my boyfriend's library got their budget cut over a period of three years by nine million dollars. They had to stop buying any non-essential new books, stop doing repairs on library buildings, close a branch and cancel the bookmobile, and 25 people lost their jobs, plus anyone if anyone left a postion, it wouldn't be filled, so there were branches without children's librarians, for example.

Then they had and passed a levy to replace the nine million dollars, only to have their budget cut by three million more dollars before the levy money ever showed up. The decided not to hire people for the vacant positions and stop doing building repairs, including one branch that needs a new roof because it won't stop leaking.

Now, this amendment (on the ballot in November) will cut his library's funding by $19 MILLION DOLLARS.

I can't see how ANYONE could know that their government is virtually trying to shut down not only it's libraries, but it's schools, police, fire, and city governments and still want to vote for those people. What the hell is wrong with them??

We need an active campaign against this amendment. We need to have all these goverment funded services band together and advertise what's going to happen. We need commercials where little kids walk up to the entrance of their schools and have the door have a big sign that says, "Closed because of Bob Taft and Ken Blackwell."

And Jim Petro is no better. He's already running commericals saying that he's a Christian with Christian values and that marriage is between a man and a woman. He was running them long before Christmas!

Have a nice day,
Kelly

P.S. The name of the amendment is the TEL amendment.
Perhaps they can write some more speeding tickets . Ohio has to be the speeding ticket capital of the world.

"Toto IV"
It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had............
Sometimes when the world goes crazy all you can do is laugh. It hides the tears.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:14 AM

I usually hate those t-shirts with the funny sayings on them, but I wear one with Bush Sr on it that says "I should have pulled out"
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:00 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensstolemyhappycells
I usually hate those t-shirts with the funny sayings on them, but I wear one with Bush Sr on it that says "I should have pulled out"

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page