Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語

Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47891737

Quote:
Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

Mr Assange took refuge in the embassy seven years ago to avoid extradition to Sweden over a sexual assault case that has since been dropped.

The Met Police said he was arrested for failing to surrender to the court.

Ecuador's president Lenin Moreno said it withdrew Mr Assange's asylum after his repeated violations of international conventions.

But Wikileaks tweeted that Ecuador had acted illegally in terminating Mr Assange's political asylum "in violation of international law".
Quote:
Mr Assange, 47, had refused to leave the embassy, claiming if he did he would be extradited to the United States for questioning over the activities of Wikileaks.

Scotland Yard said it was invited into the embassy by the ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government's withdrawal of asylum.

Mr Assange would remain in custody at a central London police station, before appearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court "as soon as is possible", the statement added.

UK foreign minister Sir Alan Duncan said the arrest followed "extensive dialogue between our two countries".

It comes a day after Wikileaks said it had uncovered an extensive spying operation against its co-founder at the Ecuadorean embassy.

There has been a long-running dispute between the Ecuadorean authorities and Mr Assange about what he was and was not allowed to do in the embassy.

BBC diplomatic correspondent James Landale said that over the years they have removed his access to the internet and accused him of engaging in political activities - which is not allowed when claiming asylum.

He said: "Precisely what has happened in the embassy is not clear - there has been claim and counter claim."

Mr Assange will initially face UK legal proceedings but could be extradited to the US over the Wikileaks revelations, he added.

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/statu...73602574340096

Quote:
And how many millions did this cost? Amazing how you can find the money for this kind of police operation, but if I was mugged or burgled I'd get a crime number and an abrupt dismissal.
When is the USA gonna put pressure on you to arrest the carjackers in my postcode?
lol'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRITA Group CEO
In the future, everyone will design their own water
My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Shame that Sweden dropped their rape charges on him. They could have extradited him after he finishes his jail term in the US.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:29 AM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
Utterly ridiculous. The charges are a politically-motivated sham, as were the original rape charges. They're basically arresting a journalist for doing journalism. It's sick to see mainstream news outlets cheering or not opposing this move, as this is an attack on journalism and government accountability.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape in space View Post
Utterly ridiculous. The charges are a politically-motivated sham, as were the original rape charges. They're basically arresting a journalist for doing journalism. It's sick to see mainstream news outlets cheering or not opposing this move, as this is an attack on journalism and government accountability.
It's an attack on democracy, liberalism, capitalism. Even the UN said the arrest shouldn't be happening.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:25 PM
bipolar

I've always thought of this guy as a hacker, about as far away from a journalist as you can get. I think my son was vaguely interested in him when he was a young teenager - but back then he was a hacker too so I can understand that. Plus of course - he was very young and couldn't see what a pain in the arse he is.

He always had that look like he thinks he's in a John le Carre novel. A very difficult person to like on any level. Even some of the people I saw last night that were being interviewed and actually supported him said they found him infuriating.

Apparently the judge called him a narcissist and said his defense was laughable. Wonder if he'll be able to sneak a mobile phone into prison there.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:20 PM
SAS Member

He looked like David Letterman in the arrest video.

Crazy it's happening. I wonder how much time in prison he'll get.

Too weird to live, too rare to die
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM
SAS Member

"Drifting and autocross is for the weak. We only do maximum velocity." - Unknown

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Some positive news from one of the rape victim's lawyer./

Quote:
After Assange's arrest, lawyer Elisabeth Massi Fritz, who represents the plaintiff, has now submitted a request to the Prosecutor's Office that the preliminary investigation be resumed. Prosecutors should now examine that request.

- We will now examine the matter to determine how we proceed. We cannot promise any timetable for when decisions will be made, says Deputy Chief Prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson, in a press release.

Elisabeth Massi Fritz said today to Expressen:

- My client and I have just received the news that Assange has been arrested. That what we have been waiting for and hoping for almost seven years now happens as clearly as a shock to my client. We will do everything we can to ensure that the prosecutors resume the Swedish preliminary investigation so that Assange can be extradited to Sweden and prosecuted for rape.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:38 PM
experimental sincerity

I don't like Assange. I saw him at a protest when lots of people started running towards me and screaming, what I thought was "Julia! Julia!". I turned around and there he was. That hero worship, although probably not his fault, left a sour taste in my mouth. Then there were other things ...Brexit, Pamela Anderson, Nigel Farage, rape allegations.

And yet, it would be a crime to extradite him to the U.S. because at this point we don't really know what the truth is. The American government are not going to look for it, that's for sure.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:09 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape in space View Post
It is not. Assange is not a journalist, he's a hacker. The US doesn't want to punish him for publishing the information, they want to punish him for how he got it. This is much different than a journalist getting leaked information from a source. Assange conspires in hacking to get what he gets.

That said, I can understand and respect someone who is just about freedom of information even if I disagree with all information being accessible. Top secret classifications exist for a reason. However, I will let Bill Maher make my point about Assange with that...

"Obviously, we know these came from Russia and we also know that you don’t like Hillary Clinton, as does not Vladimir Putin. So it looks like you are working with a bad actor to put your thumb on the scale and basically ***** with the one person who stands in the way of us being ruled by Donald Trump."

Referring to hacked DNC emails, Assange went from being about freedom of information to picking sides. Assange has his own agenda.

Regardless of which side you sit on in that debate, I don't think anyone can argue this was coming. Assange bit the hand that was feeding him. He pissed off Ecuador in multiple ways and treated their embassy like his own personal pig sty.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:53 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGVan View Post
Regardless of which side you sit on in that debate, I don't think anyone can argue this was coming. Assange bit the hand that was feeding him. He pissed off Ecuador in multiple ways and treated their embassy like his own personal pig sty.
I think it was that the new president of Ecuador wasnt the one that originally granted him asylum--and is an ally of US interests while the former wasn't. I believe this new Ecuadorian president is going to Washington to speak next week. Convenient timing.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:39 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
I think it was that the new president of Ecuador wasnt the one that originally granted him asylum--and is an ally of US interests while the former wasn't. I believe this new Ecuadorian president is going to Washington to speak next week. Convenient timing.
Maybe an element of that... but I'd kick someone out of my house on the spot if he smeared s*** on my wall. I don't care who he is.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I had heard that he had to clean bathrooms as one of the conditions of staying in the embassy.

Seven years in a house. Did he ever leave? He looked like he had some sort of breakdown. They are after him in particular for his assistance in the biggest leak of classified information in US history.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:42 PM
too much sausage

Language: rambling
mr trumps convenient amnesia over the subject of wikileaks
lol

the **** smearing is just hearsay at the moment. no actual evidence has come forward. there was another character assassination attempt published in a defamatory book saying he was some sort of savage raised by wolves who eats with his hands, doesn't wash. among the things he apparently ate with his hands was a baked potato... unless you like cold baked potatoes? I don't see how thats possible lol everyone knows a baked potato contains the heat of eleventy billion suns.

more seriously, I hope the uk doesn't kowtow to the united states on this issue, we need to have a bit of backbone here. you can bet your arse if the states get hold of him they won't just give him a slap on the wrist. they have been chasing him this hard for this long just to give him a light sentence? call me a cynical susan but I just don't buy that, it wouldn't surprise me if they come up with more stuff to lock him down with. I doubt it will go as far as death penalty, but I really don't trust that we should be so naive just to hand him right over. in a sense he's kind of been betrayed by equador ,whether he'll be betrayed by the uk remains to be seen.

I like donuts
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:44 PM
too much sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
I had heard that he had to clean bathrooms as one of the conditions of staying in the embassy.

Seven years in a house. Did he ever leave? He looked like he had some sort of breakdown. They are after him in particular for his assistance in the biggest leak of classified information in US history.
that could be considered a form of imprisonment in itself.

I like donuts
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubly View Post
Shame that Sweden dropped their rape charges on him. They could have extradited him after he finishes his jail term in the US.
This is what happens when you watch establishment news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
It's an attack on democracy, liberalism, capitalism. Even the UN said the arrest shouldn't be happening.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployment simulator View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n7VyHbqkas
lol

the **** smearing is just hearsay at the moment. no actual evidence has come forward. there was another character assassination attempt published in a defamatory book saying he was some sort of savage raised by wolves who eats with his hands, doesn't wash. among the things he apparently ate with his hands was a baked potato... unless you like cold baked potatoes? I don't see how thats possible lol everyone knows a baked potato contains the heat of eleventy billion suns.

more seriously, I hope the uk doesn't kowtow to the united states on this issue, we need to have a bit of backbone here. you can bet your arse if the states get hold of him they won't just give him a slap on the wrist. they have been chasing him this hard for this long just to give him a light sentence? call me a cynical susan but I just don't buy that, it wouldn't surprise me if they come up with more stuff to lock him down with. I doubt it will go as far as death penalty, but I really don't trust that we should be so naive just to hand him right over. in a sense he's kind of been betrayed by equador ,whether he'll be betrayed by the uk remains to be seen.
If you followed the very few interviews or conversations Assange has had with outsiders over the years you'd know he was treated really horribly in the embassy. They're trying to paint him as some lunatic to cover up the abuse most likely. He wasn't given permission to leave a tiny room most of the time, and he lost dramatic amounts of weight probably due to them starving him. I bet this is practically a relief for Assange at this point prison will probably be easier on him. At least he'll be allowed access to a shower room and a walk in the yard.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n7VyHbqkas
lol

I read somewhere that he was on the BBC website but perhaps they meant he potentially could be, since I also found this and it still seems ambiguous:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47904837

He probably will be at this point, but it would be interesting to see the UK not go along with what the US wants here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRITA Group CEO
In the future, everyone will design their own water
My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:06 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
that could be considered a form of imprisonment in itself.
Particularly from the new leader of Ecuador.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGVan View Post
It is not. Assange is not a journalist, he's a hacker. The US doesn't want to punish him for publishing the information, they want to punish him for how he got it. This is much different than a journalist getting leaked information from a source. Assange conspires in hacking to get what he gets.
You think that old man is some super 1337 hacker? He told Chelsea Manning to bring him more information if she could. They called that "conspiracy to hacking" but Obama dropped those charges and said he wasn't going to pursue legal action against Assange. He's not a hacker, not even slightly. I doubt he even knows how to use a smart phone after being in that embassy for seven years.

Quote:
That said, I can understand and respect someone who is just about freedom of information even if I disagree with all information being accessible. Top secret classifications exist for a reason. However, I will let Bill Maher make my point about Assange with that...

"Obviously, we know these came from Russia and we also know that you don’t like Hillary Clinton, as does not Vladimir Putin. So it looks like you are working with a bad actor to put your thumb on the scale and basically ***** with the one person who stands in the way of us being ruled by Donald Trump."

Referring to hacked DNC emails, Assange went from being about freedom of information to picking sides. Assange has his own agenda.

No, no one should say this was coming. Assange published information that was given to a website he has almost nothing to do with running now. He can't even call his lawyer you think he's orchestrating some mass dark web with no internet or telephone? He's a political refugee, what the UK and America did to this man is some thing I wish I could say only happened in totalitarian nations like China.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:53 AM
too much sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I read somewhere that he was on the BBC website but perhaps they meant he potentially could be, since I also found this and it still seems ambiguous:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47904837

He probably will be at this point, but it would be interesting to see the UK not go along with what the US wants here lol.
yea, I mean, i'm kind of hoping that teresa may will remember the gary mckinnon case, similar in that he was a hacker and the us wanted him to be extradited ,the consequences of doing so would have been 70 years in a us prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
If you followed the very few interviews or conversations Assange has had with outsiders over the years you'd know he was treated really horribly in the embassy. They're trying to paint him as some lunatic to cover up the abuse most likely. He wasn't given permission to leave a tiny room most of the time, and he lost dramatic amounts of weight probably due to them starving him. I bet this is practically a relief for Assange at this point prison will probably be easier on him. At least he'll be allowed access to a shower room and a walk in the yard.
i've been following the case semi regularly, and remember he did a video cast from the embassy a while or so back. just saw this the other day as it happens, were he confided with a friend about how ecuador was just looking for an excuse to remove him

I like donuts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page