It’s scaring me in some extraordinary and - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It’s scaring me in some extraordinary and

Unprecedented way too every time I walk into a supermarket (which is all I can afford to do on SSDI/Food Stamps/Medicare/Medicaid) and I see how many inconceivably selfish people there are out there. Taking everything off the shelves for themselves. Serial hoarding. So that others cannot get anything. It’s profoundly wrong and should be illegal. It scares the **** out of me every time I try and buy a can of soup or frozen food or meat or water and I see there’s nothing there. A few people are just taking everything for themselves. They belong in jail for doing that. And the stores shouldn’t permit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:42 AM
🧱

Language: None
At least they'll suffer for it by having wasted their money on things they end up throwing out. It is too bad they can't be stopped though.

Consider ordering your groceries online if you live where that's an option. Even my town of 10,000 has two stores with grocery delivery options, so hopefully most of the country has it available. They usually make the first delivery free too.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
At least they'll suffer for it by having wasted their money on things they end up throwing out. It is too bad they can't be stopped though.

Consider ordering your groceries online if you live where that's an option. Even my town of 10,000 has two stores with grocery delivery options, so hopefully most of the country has it available. They usually make the first delivery free too.
I hope they lose everything to looters after they hoard it all. And I hope to be one of those looters if it comes to it. I’ve had more than enough of selfishness for 10,000 lifetimes. People who don’t need **** at all are lining up at 7:30 in the morning when stores open and running in and hoarding it all. They should be prosecuted for that kind of greed. Bull whipped. Stocks.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 05:02 PM
Trailer Trash Tranny

My Mood: Brooding
It's interesting to watch everyone panic. I don't care much, myself. Death would be a blessing. And if I run out of food, I'll just drink lots of water and lose lots of weight. Win-win. Let the rats scurry. I'm used to living with the fear of death.

The only thing better than money is more money.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 05:40 PM
acceptable loss

My Mood: Worried
I agree with you. It is terrifying to witness, and it's making me more misanthropic than ever. I went to get a few things today, and a woman actually thanked me when she saw that I wasn't going to take every single can left on the shelf. I said "I am not one of those people". I found it incredibly sad that she even felt the need to thank someone for not being a selfish opportunist.

Now I'm Nothing
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:46 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaStrange View Post
I agree with you. It is terrifying to witness, and it's making me more misanthropic than ever. I went to get a few things today, and a woman actually thanked me when she saw that I wasn't going to take every single can left on the shelf. I said "I am not one of those people". I found it incredibly sad that she even felt the need to thank someone for not being a selfish opportunist.
Thanks for not being one of those people.

I've stocked up on my lavender crunch seaweed snacks so I'm ready for the quarantine.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaStrange View Post
Thanks for not being one of those people.

I've stocked up on my lavender crunch seaweed snacks so I'm ready for the quarantine.
Believe it or not, but I am trying to be optimistic about it. I am person who usually ignores everything going on around me and I am locked up in my own nightmarish world almost 100 percent of the time. But I can’t ignore this. I am an SSDI/Food Stamp recipient and all I can afford to do is buy minuscule amounts of food that I have to eat. I can’t save or stockpile anything. I don’t have the resources to do that. So when I walk in to any food store at least once a day to check for what I need and I don’t see anything there, what the **** am I supposed to do now? It feels like it’s the end of my already tiny tiny world. I don’t think I’m going to survive this. And it’s all the fault of inconceivably selfless people who are taking everything when they don’t even need it. Not some virus that in eighty percent of cases presents mild to moderate symptoms. I’m swallowing more pills than usual because I’m so ****ing scared I’m going to walk into a grocery store one day soon and see Nothing at all. My resting heart rate is close to 100 all day. Goodbye everyone. Probably soon. I’ll split Hell wide open. I hope Tony Todd comes to me when I’m in the straight jacket like he did to Virginia Madsen. He’s here she screamed. He’s under the bed. Or I could go out like Purcell in the New Orleans bar restroom. While looking at my and Tony Todd’s reflections in the mirror. Time to swallow my Ambien.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
It's similar here, I rely on toilet paper and antibacterial soap for a medical issue I have, and though I lucked out and had a decent amount (I hope??) of the former already, toilet paper simply is nowhere to be found anywhere around here at the moment. Can't get it on Amazon, either, unless I want to shell out a stupid amount of money for a few measly sheets. (We aren't out of it yet, but if this lasts nearly as long as they say it will... )

As for food?--that situation is looking dire, too. We're not in trouble yet, by a long shot, but there seems to be less each time, and when I needed to stock up on soup (supposed to have my teeth pulled soon, and I won't get dentures for months, IF all goes well...it's looking less likely every day, I may be stuck with crumbling teeth for months more -_- ), there was barely any to be had. Zero ramen, and a few cans of cream of mushroom. Get this, nobody was touching the really dented cans...these people sure were kind of picky for being so "needy." I actually bought a couple of cans of refried beans because I couldn't think of anything else soft to eat, even though I'm not sure how my insides will handle those... :/

Stores are supposedly "working with their distributors" or whatever to get things in stock faster but I sure am not seeing it whenever we venture out (which we shouldn't even be doing, since my parents are in the target group of COVID-19 victims)...changing the time of day at which we go out makes zero difference, with stores changing their hours as well, and everyone else just hanging out there until supplies show up (which we can't do)...authorities keep saying to stock up for at least two weeks and stay at home as much as possible, but when every time you go to the store they don't have what you need to stock up on because others were greedy and snatched everything up already...how long can you be stuck inside?

Okay, I get it. Everyone needs to stock up. But this is just a small city, 5000 people. (Which makes at-home delivery out of the question since we don't have such services around here. And all the online resources are sold out of what we need, too. I bought soap on Amazon at the beginning of March, when most of it was low but this one item was listed as "in stock"--the shipping date keeps getting delayed. I MIGHT get it by April. Guess it wasn't in stock after all.) Does EVERYBODY need to stock up EVERY week?? What do the rest of us who can't get there in time do? And hey, you people overly stocking up on soap and hand sanitizer and such now, WTF were you doing before the pandemic? Did you simply not use soap and sanitizer or something? You do know germs existed before now, right? (I've been doing the wash-your-hands-for-20-seconds routine for YEARS now!--long before COVID-19 was a thing.)

And ugh God, I hope this doesn't affect the medical supplies I order by phone... -_-

I really, really hope this dies down in a week or two because who even knows where we'll find what we need to keep going once we run out. Authorities are starting to say at least two months...or up until August...that's a long time to be in uncertainty. The one upside, I'm probably going to lose some weight.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:17 PM
lagrimas negras

A bunch of selfish people out there who don't give a damn about you,me or anyone else isn't really shocking news. When this is all over with, don't forget to (fake it) smile and be kind to your neighbors again.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Happy little accidents

Wonder if trading will happen. We always had a stash of toilet paper and paper towels for emergencies like this. Currently out of rubbing alcohol. None available on amazon or store shelves. Wish I could trade a couple rolls of TP for a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 12:00 PM
SAS Member

Language: el lughat el 3rabiya (Masr+Fus7a) wal lughat el ingliziya
The world might as well just come to an end if we have to live like this for an entire month or whatever. But, that's just the cynical side of me talking right about now.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 12:06 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindtheScenes View Post
The world might as well just come to an end if we have to live like this for an entire month or whatever. But, that's just the cynical side of me talking right about now.
This just means that SAS has us all in it's dastardly clutches for however long.

(Frankly those of us who have been here forever can use the company )

/WYSD
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
This didn't happen in the 2009 pandemic. Maybe we were too engrossed in the recession, job losses and 2 wars to care about canned food and toilet paper.

TRE45ON

Mayor Pete, top choice for US vets- a sus ordenes mi teniente.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump
No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:24 PM
Gangsta Crayon

What I dont get is if we're quarantined, we can still go out and buy stuff so I dont get why everyone is getting so much stuff. When I bought groceries the other day, I just spent like 52 dollars worth just in case my drinks and food get low. I didnt have a buggy slap full of stuff.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:41 PM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubly View Post
This didn't happen in the 2009 pandemic. Maybe we were too engrossed in the recession, job losses and 2 wars to care about canned food and toilet paper.
Yeah life went on more or less entirely as usual during that one at least here in the UK. But a lot has changed in terms of reporting, media, smartphones, politics, psychology since then.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:52 AM
SAS Member

The gal I share an office with told me that she went shopping at Wal-Mart for her sister that is on disability for health issues. She went to the soup isle and it was totally cleaned out and so was the pasta. People should always put away stuff every time they shop throughout the year instead of waiting for a crisis and buying all at once.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:57 AM
alien monk

I should probably stock up on some food tomorrow. if I have to self isolate for a while theres no one i can rely on to do my shopping and I'd rather not ask my flatmates to do it for me.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

The thing that is always on my mind too at the moment is that in the middle of all of this my brain defective insular clannish cultish neighbors are still trying to harass me. Standing outside and complaining about a few mourning doves I feed on my window ledge. Sticking up posters in the common area highlighting some stupid edict from the management company saying don’t feed any animals. They better hope that I don’t finally blow during all this. You don’t **** with a person for essentially no reason who’s already headed over the edge and wondering where my next meal is coming from. I’d love to sink my teeth into one of them like Anthony Hopkins did to Pembry.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater View Post
What I dont get is if we're quarantined, we can still go out and buy stuff so I dont get why everyone is getting so much stuff. When I bought groceries the other day, I just spent like 52 dollars worth just in case my drinks and food get low. I didnt have a buggy slap full of stuff.

I spent more than usual this past week, but it was for extra food (bags of dried soup, cleaners, air filter, coffee, etc. I didn't buy any toilet paper. I did buy a can of Lysol spray because they didn't have Lysol floor cleaner.

One of these days, I'll get bored and do housework.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 04:10 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
It's interesting to watch everyone panic. I don't care much, myself. Death would be a blessing. And if I run out of food, I'll just drink lots of water and lose lots of weight. Win-win. Let the rats scurry. I'm used to living with the fear of death.
Hey ..come on. Things will get better. Even in my country....I cant even afford to hoard....i only bought what i can...basically a 1week supply...after that...well....fate will decide. But Im a fighter I have a lot left to do with this life. My SA is much improved from when I entered this site over 10yrs ago. Im not going out without a fight.
I will rage against the dying of the light.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page