Is Europe on a whole less racist than other parts of the world? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Is Europe on a whole less racist than other parts of the world?

I'm black and have lived in Africa, the US, and Europe (Ireland). Have also travelled to the UK, France, Portugal, Spain, Italy. Outside Europe I have travelled to Saudi Arabia, India, etc..

I find it really funny how people claim Europe/North America is racist when in reality, I haven't experienced much of it. I've been called the n-word a couple of times but only by drunk people.

Most of the racism experienced was in the Middle East and India. Not saying everyone is racist but people there make no effort to hide their prejudice. Was denied entry into a store despite having money/behaving properly. The guy just said "Sorry, you are not allowed in here".

Does my experience mirror that of other non-whites on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 10:10 AM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
There are laws against refusing minority groups entry into stores in the UK I think, although in saying that where I grew up they had signs in some shops saying only two teenagers were allowed in shops at a time which seems ageist but presumably that was legal.

My dad often rants about black people and South Asian Muslim people though, he's fairly racist. People aren't likely to go up to you and say what they're thinking. I would say the main difference is that you can get away with being open about it more in some places.

edit: and I've visited other European countries too (France, Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands,) but I'm white so wouldn't notice anyway. I visited Brussels, I think there are lots of tensions there, it's similar in my home town you have religious extremists on one side and racist white people on the other and everyone else has to deal with them, it came to a head about a decade ago maybe. Also armed police walking around with guns in Brussels when I was there. Must have been around the time there were a bunch of terrorist attacks in Paris. Like two-three months before, so they were probably anticipating that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 10:40 AM
SAS Member

Language: Spanish, English, German
My Mood: Relaxed
I can only speak for Spain, but in my country it's okay to be racist against gypsies and most people don't understand what's wrong with blackface. I remember in the 2008 Olympics, our basketball team posed for a photo while pulling their eyelids apart and nobody in Spain understood why people were offended.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 11:06 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Never been to Europe so I don't know.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 PM
SAS Member

I think it's different levels of racism, and more microaggression type of racism can be seen in first world countries
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 12:20 PM
bipolar

Not surprising you experienced racism in a place like India. Division is ingrained in their culture and has been forever. It's a part of their lives - the caste system. There's a whole strata of society that are still considered unclean - the dalits. (untouchables) I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem just adding another group of people to look down on.

I've noticed it in places like Indonesia a bit. Friends of mine would openly talk about how they disliked Arabic men. And as far as I know both Indians and Arabs are widely looked down on in places like Thailand.

I haven't lived or spent a significant period of time in Europe for ages. And I've never been to the States. Here in Australia we obviously pretend not to be racist. But it's fairly rampant.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Not surprising you experienced racism in a place like India. Division is ingrained in their culture and has been forever. It's a part of their lives - the caste system. There's a whole strata of society that are still considered unclean - the dalits. (untouchables) I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem just adding another group of people to look down on.

I've noticed it in places like Indonesia a bit. Friends of mine would openly talk about how they disliked Arabic men. And as far as I know both Indians and Arabs are widely looked down on in places like Thailand.

I haven't lived or spent a significant period of time in Europe for ages. And I've never been to the States. Here in Australia we obviously pretend not to be racist. But it's fairly rampant.
What is Australia like for black people? I hear Aboriginal people get treated badly.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 06:54 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I don't think for the most part western countries are racist, although everything gets called racist without a proper reason. And I think this devalues the term, and makes things worse.

Also I think failed immigration policies where the people don't accept your country's values are making people resist the people immigrating to your country. I guess France is a good example of this.

It's a strange phenomena, where we think that socialization is very important when it comes to the children of our own citizens
But we don't think we should have the same with people who come here from somewhere else.

Because I'm sure that will cause no problems....

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 07:47 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
There is a difference with overt racism and invert racism. Invert racism is when a person has subconscious biases based on the person's racial features and stereotypical acts which therefore make everyday decisions with what they feel most comfortable with. Example can be 'the ghetto' versus a quiet suburban-like area (I say this since even though where I'm from is urban, some parts of town and even counties appear more or less this way.) "I would rather drive through the x route than through y because I am not wanting to get in the middle of crossfires from y's everyday shootings."

I can only speak for my particular region within the United States, which is heavily urban and around popular cities. Racial bias is more inverted and therefore if the person doesn't show or say anything outwardly then it doesn't 'officially' count as racism.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 08:40 PM
Temporarily Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Nope - my family wouldn't have left otherwise.
Today, it's more obliviousness.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 03:57 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by finolamartin1999 View Post
What is Australia like for black people? I hear Aboriginal people get treated badly.
A very complicated question. The Aborigines have definitely been treated very badly in the past - virtually eliminated in some parts of the country, the stolen generation ages ago where kids were removed from families etc, a lot of poverty still in many places.

It's probably not my place to comment on it really - and it's not something I've had any direct experience with. I would say their situation is considerably better nowadays - but again, I'm not one myself - and I'm not living out in the middle of the outback somewhere. How much of that is of their own doing and how much isn't is debatable - and of course very complicated.

We also now have a reasonably large amount of African migrants here - something we didn't have when I was young. That's a different story again.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 07:38 PM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead
Yes. Western nations have the highest rates of migration and assimilation in the world. Our societies are far more accepting than others. Yea, yea, you can find plenty examples of racism but over all this is the least racist time in history. It'll only get better in the near future too. That is unless European ethnicities get displaced by migration then things would go pretty **** really fast.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 08:21 PM
Hufflepuff

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
That is unless European ethnicities get displaced
Ah **** here we go again, "the great replacement" I don't personally want anyone to get banned from here, because this a great civil community that's not a complete circle jerk, but I'm not surprised if you do get banned, because that's HEAVY

Wow, anyway, a belief that the European culture, values and politics don't actually mean **** and the genetic make up among the European population being the only reason why the western standards of living are so high, is insane. Ffs this very same population has been in war for centuries, committed numerous genocides, burned thousands of witches, etc etc.
Bring the enlightenment and remove the religion from any population of any ethnicity and BOOM high standards of living just like that

I dislike myself for citing Ben Shapiro here, but he's right for once; "I don't care about browning of America, ideology matters"

Embrace tradition, return to monke
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 01:19 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Central and Eastern Europe have racism issues, more so than West, certainly if their football fans are anything to go by.

I've spent some time out there, and have been taken aback a few times in conversations where blatent racist comments have been made along the lines of "I couldn't live in the UK as there are two many black people" or nicknaming a black work colleague Coco. I mentioned that I dont like comments like that but it was very hard to keep my mouth shut and escalating things, and would have if it was outside of the workplace.

Sure it happens in the UK, but I've never experienced that kind of racism in my life.

Its dusgusting this is still happening, whether race or sexuality. The only time abuse should be given to a group of people is if they are Portsmouth footabll club fans.

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 03:14 AM
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Ah **** here we go again, "the great replacement" I don't personally want anyone to get banned from here, because this a great civil community that's not a complete circle jerk, but I'm not surprised if you do get banned, because that's HEAVY

I'm more commenting on the violence and conflicts that occur when a majority group shifts towards a minority group or cultural differences cause increased tensions to the point of disaster. This is more a problem in Europe than America because America's culture is rather unique in having civic nationalism.

Quote:
Wow, anyway, a belief that the European culture, values and politics don't actually mean **** and the genetic make up among the European population being the only reason why the western standards of living are so high, is insane. Ffs this very same population has been in war for centuries, committed numerous genocides, burned thousands of witches, etc etc.
Bring the enlightenment and remove the religion from any population of any ethnicity and BOOM high standards of living just like that

I dislike myself for citing Ben Shapiro here, but he's right for once; "I don't care about browning of America, ideology matters"
If you take a look around the world you'll quickly find out how right I am. No other culture on the planet is more welcoming to foreigners than European influenced ones. Also the only person that made comments on racial replacement is you. I was thinking about different societies being in conflict because of the lack of assimilation into their host nation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ant-countries/

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 12:51 PM
Hufflepuff

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
I'm more commenting on the violence and conflicts that occur when a majority group shifts towards a minority group or cultural differences cause increased tensions to the point of disaster. This is more a problem in Europe than America because America's culture is rather unique in having civic nationalism.
I argued that having "minority groups" and "cultural differences" after immigration is not inevitable and can/should be avoided. Of course it IS inevitable if we hang on our ethnic identities. "Race of the future" IS inevitable in every scenario and with it comes the global mono culture. I "don't" want to sound pretentious, but it would be pretty nice if the culture and the values of that sole light brown human race of the future was based on the current western standards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_the_future

Quote:
If you take a look around the world you'll quickly find out how right I am.

Nubly DID say you're far right...
Quote:
No other culture on the planet is more welcoming to foreigners than European influenced ones. Also the only person that made comments on racial replacement is you. I was thinking about different societies being in conflict because of the lack of assimilation into their host nation.
Correct, westerners were the first ones to get this whole "how accept the inevitable and how to run happy progressive sustainable societies" right. There is still much to learn about that sustainability, but this is what we must teach to immigrants too, not the other way around.

Sorry did I misinterpreted the term "displacement" by equating it with "replacement"? In this context they sound kinda interchangeable and remind of the "great replacement theory". By displacement do you mean "white flight"? Well if white flight occurs, that means we're doing the immigration wrong and someone is putting the emphasis on their ethnicity and/or the cultural assimilation hasn't worked.

Embrace tradition, return to monke
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 03:15 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Europe is not a unitary culture, not even within individual countries - East Germany is notoriously still much more right-leaning than the west, courtesy of decades of commie rule. Almost all former Warsaw Pact countries are varying degrees of right-wing, including explicit racism.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 06:39 PM
Is that what day it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
I argued that having "minority groups" and "cultural differences" after immigration is not inevitable and can/should be avoided. Of course it IS inevitable if we hang on our ethnic identities. "Race of the future" IS inevitable in every scenario and with it comes the global mono culture. I "don't" want to sound pretentious, but it would be pretty nice if the culture and the values of that sole light brown human race of the future was based on the current western standards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_the_future
As I said in my post this is less of a problem in America than europe because we have civic nationalism to create unity within our republic though in recent history the far left have been trying to tear that apart and call it white supremacy to be patriotic.

Quote:
Nubly DID say you're far right...
Nubly called dozens of users here alt right I once had to confront him about that and he asked me to prove it. I got so annoyed about it with him at that point that I actually did the ground work and found a ton of posts from him calling people nazi's and white supremacists including mod staff.

Quote:
Correct, westerners were the first ones to get this whole "how accept the inevitable and how to run happy progressive sustainable societies" right. There is still much to learn about that sustainability, but this is what we must teach to immigrants too, not the other way around.

Sorry did I misinterpreted the term "displacement" by equating it with "replacement"? In this context they sound kinda interchangeable and remind of the "great replacement theory". By displacement do you mean "white flight"? Well if white flight occurs, that means we're doing the immigration wrong and someone is putting the emphasis on their ethnicity and/or the cultural assimilation hasn't worked.
Dude, you're extreme and a half. All you see is race in every thing and I'm absolutely flabbergasted to the point that I don't know how to respond to this racism. You victimize minorities and behave as though they are powerless entities and you're approval of committing genocide against a people due to skin tone is highly unsettling for me. My commentation is solely based on ethnic and cultural differences. Ethnicities are not race. German is an ethnic identity, British is an ethnic identity, scottish is an ethnic identity. Why do you strive towards the destruction of the values and proud nations that have grown out of these peoples? I can't even with you. I'm not anti immigration, I'm pro immigration if they adhere to our laws and social customs. They left their country for a reason, turning our country into what they left is hardly helping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchedEarth View Post
Europe is not a unitary culture, not even within individual countries - East Germany is notoriously still much more right-leaning than the west, courtesy of decades of commie rule. Almost all former Warsaw Pact countries are varying degrees of right-wing, including explicit racism.
No it's not which is why there have been so many conflicts in Europe but for some reason specific Europeans still can't figure out that cultural and ethnic divisions driven to extremity cause violence. (not talking about you). Some places are more racist than others in the west, but you lack comparison with other populations. if you go to asia, africa, the pacific islands ect you'll witness far worse and more common prejudices including against whites.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 11:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
No it's not which is why there have been so many conflicts in Europe but for some reason specific Europeans still can't figure out that cultural and ethnic divisions driven to extremity cause violence. (not talking about you). Some places are more racist than others in the west, but you lack comparison with other populations. if you go to asia, africa, the pacific islands ect you'll witness far worse and more common prejudices including against whites.
Yeah, I can absolutely believe most of the world makes eastern Europe look like Stockholm on social issues. I don't believe ethnicity has to be an issue, necessarily, depending on how much tribalism/segregation is going on. But there's no cure for cultural/ideological disunity, it's always going to cause cause serious fractures in a society. Ethnicity, "race", sex, gender, sexuality, none of this stuff has to be divisive as long as you're willing to live and let live, treating people as individuals rather than representatives of some demographic. But if you have certain expectations of your government and they have diametrically opposing expectations... well, one of you is going to get screwed. Maybe both, or maybe you'll take turns getting screwed by two huge parties that stir up hate for votes and power.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 03:58 AM
Guide - Politics Section

Language: English, Czech
I think answering such a question requires familiarising yourself with quite a bit of research and information. Anecdotal evidence could always lead to exceptions rather than rules being accepted as the norm.

Also, as others have correctly pointed out, Europe is quite a diverse place. I've travelled quite extensively through Western and Southern Europe, and even within certain countries there are big differences. The south of France is a world apart from the more industrialised north, where Lens, Lille etc are near the Belgian border.

All of this is to say that it's difficult to give a well-informed answer to the original question.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page