International bullying at its finest : covid travel advisory to the Caribbean - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

International bullying at its finest : covid travel advisory to the Caribbean

http://bb.usembassy.gov/level-3-trav...ern-caribbean/

Last week the USA issue level 3 travel advisories for the Eastern Caribbean. If you continue to the link and read further, you will see under some of the "risks" it talks about a high chance of. Contracting covid 19, encountering lockdowns and civil unrest.

That is blatantly untrue !
There are no massive protests or widespread unrest. Some of our islands have not had a new confirmed case for weeks !

Some of our islands have not even had a single covid19 death !

Yet these travel "advisories" label our islands as risky territories amid the pandemic.

I hope this post isn't too sensitive a topic. But it's really frustrating the way our countries are always being squeezed like this.

Earlier this year...shipments of PPE were literally blocked from coming in our islands. A few weeks ago we heard that stock of the proposed treatment was bought off.

The only saving grace is that thanks to the internet everyone can see what's going on for themselves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post

Last week the USA issue level 3 travel advisories for the Eastern Caribbean. If you continue to the link and read further, you will see under some of the "risks" it talks about a high chance of. Contracting covid 19, encountering lockdowns and civil unrest.

There are no massive protests or widespread unrest. Some of our islands have not had a new confirmed case for weeks !

Yet these travel "advisories" label our islands as risky territories amid the pandemic.

I hope this post isn't too sensitive a topic. But it's really frustrating the way our countries are always being squeezed like this.

Earlier this year...shipments of PPE were literally blocked from coming in our islands. A few weeks ago we heard that stock of the proposed treatment was bought off.

The only saving grace is that thanks to the internet everyone can see what's going on for themselves
I am by no means suggesting that our countries are perfect utopias. I am sure there may be some things about our cultures that people from first world nation's may find backwards ....but to suggest that we are filled with covid cases and civil unrest ???

The numbers don't lie

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:19 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
Yeah its funny like that, I was reading an article how the USA had updated its travel advisory on New Zealand which has had no domestic cases for ages now. Not that anyone (non-citizens) can go there anyways since the border is closed. If I recall several months ago a shipment of masks that was supposed to go to Germany was diverted to the USA. Trump was pressuring 3M to stop sending masks to Canada too.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Yeah its funny like that, I was reading an article how the USA had updated its travel advisory on New Zealand which has had no domestic cases for ages now. Not that anyone (non-citizens) can go there anyways since the border is closed. If I recall several months ago a shipment of masks that was supposed to go to Germany was diverted to the USA. Trump was pressuring 3M to stop sending masks to Canada too.
That travel advisory is an insult on the intelligence of any person who can read and write.....and is an insult to every hardworking health care worker in the Caribbean.

I guess it takes too much humility to ask us how did we manage to keep our caseload this low ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Permanently Banned

Our government (USA) is projecting, just like the traitor in chief does all the time.

250,000 maskless bikers are gathered in sturgis right now, so this country will be a cesspool of viruses for the foreseeable future

be glad americans aren't going the caribbean, we are all infected
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:54 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Trump was pressuring 3M to stop sending masks to Canada too.
I never bothered to verify if that was true or not but I remember hearing about that when NYC and NJ were the worst place in the world for Covid deaths. So even if true you would have to understand that on the nightly news you had nurses literally crying that they didn't have enough N95 masks and bodies were piling up in refrigerated storage trailers. NYC and NJ were a disaster they account for about one third of US deaths. Unfortunately 3M is one of if not the only company making N95 masks in the US. If Trump didn't do that then he would have been rightly criticized for not heeding the cries of nurses and doctors here. Meanwhile Canada doesn't even have many total cases even till today.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 04:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Why would you want diseased and contagious foreigners coming into your country anyway? It's decimating our tourism industry but keeping the borders sealed to nonessential travel is the way to go right now.

My country has an advisory for literally every other country (advising against travel to them).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 05:45 PM
bipolar

Like others have said you shouldn't be concerned what the Americans say about anything. The only country that has handled it almost as badly as they have is Brazil. Their country is run by an idiot too -who also recently contracted the virus.

No country in the world will want an American coming anywhere near their's for a long time. Not if they've got any sense anyway. There's more virus there than anywhere else in the world.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:26 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:

I didn't see anything about unrest.

Quote:
After nearly five months of a global do not travel advisory, the upgrade to Level 3 takes into account both the current assessment of conditions on the ground and the fact that the COVID-19 pandemic continues to pose unprecedented risks for travelers. We routinely review safety and security conditions across the region and will update destination-specific information as appropriate. Travel advisories are not issued against countries. They have a singular purpose to keep U.S. citizens informed and help ensure their health and safety. We will continue to work with Barbados and the countries of the Eastern Caribbean through bilateral communication, economic cooperation, and humanitarian aid to end the spread of COVID-19.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Quote:

I didn't see anything about unrest.

Quote:
After nearly five months of a global do not travel advisory, the upgrade to Level 3 takes into account both the current assessment of conditions on the ground and the fact that the COVID-19 pandemic continues to pose unprecedented risks for travelers. We routinely review safety and security conditions across the region and will update destination-specific information as appropriate. Travel advisories are not issued against countries. They have a singular purpose to keep U.S. citizens informed and help ensure their health and safety. We will continue to work with Barbados and the countries of the Eastern Caribbean through bilateral communication, economic cooperation, and humanitarian aid to end the spread of COVID-19.
To see the part about unrest you have to type the individual island names....then you will see XYZ is under level three advisory: risk for covid infection, lockdowns, rioting ....all of which better describes the current situation in the USA, than our islands.

But ..perhaps it's better this way, our economies cannot sustain a second wave from non-essential immigrants.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 01:39 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Are they advising against travel to other areas of the world too? I don't really check these things tbh, we have a bad enough situation in the UK. A lot of Americans think the virus is a hoax and aren't taking it seriously for political reasons, so you'd be better off without them travelling.

It's not like there are a lot of countries the Trump administration likes anyway lol.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
A lot of Americans think the virus is a hoax and aren't taking it seriously for political reasons,
I know right. I've tried unsuccessfully to do my part of health promotion on different forums....but it often feels pointless.

How are you supposed to educate a people on public health safety, when they equate even the slightest form of conformity (ie facemask and social distancing) as an imminent threat of communism..?

I often get comments like: "my first amendment rights" or "my second amendment rights" or "I would rather die than live like a slave"

But my personal favourite is when people get defensive and say "we do things in the USA how we want...and basically some form of **** any foreigner's opinion"

Fine. You can take that stance if we are talking about gun culture, or local crime rates. But not when discussing the pandemic. Failure to contain the virus in such a large nation like the USA *does* affect the rest of us. To suggest that your flippant attitude towards the virus is not my concern ...when your carelessness can infect me and my family is the height of selfishness !

Taking advice from others doesn't make your nation weak. If another country is further in vaccine trials ... doesn't mean you have to discredit them.

Sometimes if people would rather die than be proven wrong.

Personally, I would rather live and learn.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 09:54 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Taking advice from others doesn't make your nation weak. If another country is further in vaccine trials ... doesn't mean you have to discredit them.

Sometimes if people would rather die than be proven wrong.

Personally, I would rather live and learn.
Maybe I'm wrong but you sound like your talking about Russia here. If so the criticism isn't that they are further along in trials it's that they are skipping the trials all together. A bad vaccine can make the virus worse so that is a risky thing to do but it may work out okay. Other countries are not willing to abandon the guidelines for a risky faster result.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 09:21 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
To see the part about unrest you have to type the individual island names....then you will see XYZ is under level three advisory: risk for covid infection, lockdowns, rioting ....all of which better describes the current situation in the USA, than our islands.

But ..perhaps it's better this way, our economies cannot sustain a second wave from non-essential immigrants.
Neither can ours. That's why we are trying to clamp down. We have blocks between states! For a while, I couldn't travel to New York and my state had fewer cases!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page