I hate youtube "Rs" - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I hate youtube "Rs"

I watch some because it's kind of entertaining and it's there but you always have to put up with their panhandling. "Give me money cause youtube demonotizes me!!!"
Wow, they don't want to pay you for something they're not obligated to pay you for. Who could have guessed that when you quit your job to make internet videos full time?
It can never work in the long term. A large number of people have always wanted to make a living as entertainers but the economy just can't handle that.

Work a little bit harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 AM
SAS Member

I used to post videos on youtube regularly around 2006, but then they started asking me if I wanted to monetize those videos. They would "pay" me a tiny fraction (like a few cents) for X amount of views if I let them place advertisements in my videos, and I just rejected the whole idea completely. I figured: why would they pay me a couple of cents for something I created, so they can piggyback an advertiser on my video who will make exponentially more money for themselves and youtube? The content creator is far more valuable to youtube than any advertiser or technology, it's what makes youtube popular, and it's youtube who should be kissing the feet of the content creators for giving their technology life.

but that was so many years ago. I pretty much quit doing any voluntary content on youtube after that. For me, posting videos was strictly voluntary, and youtube was different in those days. Now it's so commercialized, and because it's gotten so commercialized you're going to find entrepreneurs swarming youtube. It's silly to complain about the attitude of these new entrepreneur content-makers, when it was youtube who drew them in to begin with!

there's a right-wing youtuber, stephen molyneux I think his name is, who made a video recently almost begging for $ support. He says that because of his right-wing views he's become socially "blacklisted" and his revenue streams have dried up. That's terrible of course (and I hate it that it has to happen this way, whether your views are left wing or right wing), but as a conservative he should know that money is only made by getting a "real job", not youtube, or public speaking....unless you're a con artist.

Nevertheless, I think it's terrible that he doesn't have the opportunity to make money by making use of his talent. There is so much hostility in people's political consciousness that they'll suppress anything/anyone they don't agree with. Youtube is one of these. If youtube is just a business, they shouldn't be demonetizing anyone. They should be paying the content-creators (agreed-upon) money for increasing viewer traffic to their site and their advertisers, not changing the rules as they see fit. This is where they are upsetting their content-making entrepreneurs.

If they are so "liberal" and socially conscious, they shouldn't be having the business model they have; they should keep their site small, voluntary, and not bring in advertisers or entrepreneurs like it was when they started. Youtube is being two different things, and no wonder people get upset, for one side or another.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:16 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
The economy doesn't have enough other jobs for people to do anyway. YouTube should be paying the people who make content for them though.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:20 AM
The Groat King

"don't forget to like and subscribe and be sure to check out my patreon for exclusive content!"
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
^ Patreon is the one that gets to me. I'd rather buy the content not pay for a subscription service.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:32 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

There was a UK survey that revealed that 1-3 children and teenagers wanted to be YouTube stars. I think that's a working class/lower middle class dream it used to be that they'd try to be footballers/conventional celebrities and their parents would try and push for that (there's an ex-member of the Spice Girls who's a really obvious example of this,) but times have changed. The fact that it's such a large percentage of kids shows how many people know they have no hope of ever being a doctor etc.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-vloggers.html

In the US on the other hand (and I'm sure it's similar here,) only 27% of college graduates have a career related to their major. Most graduates are also underemployed. You basically can't win now is what I'm saying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48091971
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM
SAS Member

It's cliche at this point but I preferred youtube 10 years ago when it boosted amateur content rather than legacy media, I suppose when something gets big enough it gets co-opted and controlled by whoever has the biggest wallets. I don't mind my subscribed channels asking to "like, subscribe, and check out my patreon", if I'm subscribed it means I think they're worthy of staying afloat. It's 10 second at the end of the vid.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I watch some because it's kind of entertaining and it's there but you always have to put up with their panhandling. "Give me money cause youtube demonotizes me!!!"
Wow, they don't want to pay you for something they're not obligated to pay you for. Who could have guessed that when you quit your job to make internet videos full time?
It can never work in the long term. A large number of people have always wanted to make a living as entertainers but the economy just can't handle that.
Why do you let it bother you? I notice they beg for money but it doesn't bother me unless they try to force it somehow (there are some ways they try to force people to pay them). In which case I just drop them and move on. If I had an income myself I wouldn't mind giving the people I watch a few dollars here and there. Assuming I had a few dollars to give, I'd rather pay for content I really like and find interesting than pay for homogenized garbage (filled with toxic propaganda) like we used to with cable.

As it is now, I'm just as broke as they are (more broke than they are) so if they'll put it out there to watch for free, I'll watch it. Often it is the case where they are just asking people who are willing to give them a few bucks to do so and they know there are a lot of people who don't have the money to give away. So they don't mind if you don't.

If they try to guilt trip, I just ignore that. You don't have to let it bother you. There are always a few Youtubers who are just basically making videos because they like doing it (though that's somewhat rare now). Entertainment generally is not 100% free. Or at least it tends to only be free until the entertainer needs to eat.

Whatever. I watch what I can when I can and if I could afford it, I'd toss a few coins in the pot to help them out.

/WYSD
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
There was a UK survey that revealed that 1-3 children and teenagers wanted to be YouTube stars. I think that's a working class/lower middle class dream it used to be that they'd try to be footballers/conventional celebrities and their parents would try and push for that (there's an ex-member of the Spice Girls who's a really obvious example of this,) but times have changed. The fact that it's such a large percentage of kids shows how many people know they have no hope of ever being a doctor etc.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-vloggers.html

In the US on the other hand (and I'm sure it's similar here,) only 27% of college graduates have a career related to their major. Most graduates are also underemployed. You basically can't win now is what I'm saying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48091971
I'd not want to be a celebrity. Seems like it would be really hard on the mental health long term. Not that normal living when you're poor isn't. Just...you know. Different sides of the fence.

/WYSD
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:54 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I'd not want to be a celebrity. Seems like it would be really hard on the mental health long term. Not that normal living when you're poor isn't. Just...you know. Different sides of the fence.
You're right but being a YouTube celebrity is more like being a semi-well known author or part of some niche indie band unless you're one of the really big ones. Becoming the next Beatles for example is sort of impossible these days because of the way people consume media. On the other hand you can be relatively obscure and attract tons of hate now (more than you ever could before,) because of the way the internet and social media functions. So it's not exactly better.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:34 AM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
This might be a decent argument if it weren't for the fact that youtube specifically discriminates against independent creators in favour of large corporations who make content, by demonetising independent creators for utterly trivial reasons and biasing the recommendation algorithm against them, while at the same time maintaining monetisation on corporate content that violates rules that would get independent creators demonetised, and recommending the crap out of corporate content. The independent creators are the entire reason for youtube's success, and it's outrageous that they repay them by continually screwing them over like this. All the independent creators are asking for is that the revenue they get reflects the amount of viewership and engagement they generate, and that the algorithm is fair and doesn't get artificially biased against them.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Addendum - There are a few people I watch who sell stickers or mugs or shirts with their logos and stuff on it. That's also fine. It helps them out and it gives you a cool little fan thing. I mean, it's pointless if you don't really dig their channel but there are a few I have been watching for years so am kinda invested in them enough that I'd put their sticker up somewhere.

/WYSD
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:29 AM
SAS Member

I don't begrudge YouTubers who are able to sustain themselves by collecting donations. If you're so good at making content that your viewers are willing to pay you to keep doing so, then more power to ya. I only have a problem with it when it's excessive or done dishonestly, i.e. making up tales of financial hardship when it's evident you're doing just fine.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:11 PM
dumb fantasy

Language: rambling
"check out dollar shave club"

but I have a beard!!

I watched the king of comedy recently after all the hysteria surrounding joker, and I think some of these themes about celebrity idolization are kind of relevant here.

it's interesting how people chase this sort of fame, here it's portrayed as mental illness although it was exaggerated and I think de niro and his mental health represents a societal relationship people have with fame. these days you hear about a kid that from an early age always wanted to be famous and did all this stuff to further their chances of their dream career with dogged persistence bordering obsession and everyone is saying go you! well done! are these people even happy though? like really happy?

(bit aware of the irony of posting a yt vid. but fear not, there are no ads! just an unobtrusive peatron logo at the end which made me chuckle given the discussion)

I like donuts
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:10 PM
butterball

My Mood: Mellow
Some uploaders have resorted to sponsors in their videos, which can cause them to lose fans. That's never really bothered me, what was most annoying is when they beg for likes throughout the video, or fill a 10 minute video with fluff just so they can have enough time to meet the quota. I remember a motivational speaker guy that uploaded a video straight up begging for money because he was broke apparently and he didn't have a normal job, and that caused him to lose a lot of respect.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl with a pen View Post
"Put up with"? Entertainment isn't free.
True but I've never liked paying money for entertainment. It used to be just paying the cable bill, now everybody's trying to nickel and dime you to death from all sides. I'm amazed people actually send them money and everybody's always *****ing about how broke they are.

Quote:
The economy doesn't have enough other jobs for people to do anyway.
Where I work they can't keep people. It sucks but it's livable pay. There are jobs if people are willing to do them.

Quote:
YouTube should be paying the people who make content for them though.
Yeah but they're not going to if they don't have to, same as anybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynihilist View Post
"don't forget to like and subscribe and be sure to check out my patreon for exclusive content!"

Work a little bit harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
True but I've never liked paying money for entertainment. It used to be just paying the cable bill, now everybody's trying to nickel and dime you to death from all sides. I'm amazed people actually send them money and everybody's always *****ing about how broke they are.

Where I work they can't keep people. It sucks but it's livable pay. There are jobs if people are willing to do them.

Yeah but they're not going to if they don't have to, same as anybody else.

No mathematically there really aren't enough jobs for everyone, and this will be an increasing problem as we go into the future as more and more jobs are replaced by automation and not everyone can become a computer programmer etc. Also imagine if your boss decided not to pay you because they didn't have to.

Anyway if this is a problem for you, you can just stop watching.

https://youtu.be/93sV5XGLmgQ?t=23m12s

You know what's sad they're not forcing you to pay they're asking for a donation or for you to buy their merch etc. Unlike these large companies who have tons of money, make you pay and produce increasingly stripped back content to get away with charging you lots more money. EA games will always be my go to example.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:23 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
If they are so "liberal" and socially conscious, they shouldn't be having the business model they have; they should keep their site small, voluntary, and not bring in advertisers or entrepreneurs like it was when they started. Youtube is being two different things, and no wonder people get upset, for one side or another.
Who says they're "liberal"? Does the Youtube CEO specifically claim that and let people know that on their site? Only the right wing whiners on the Youtube comment sections claim, that Youtube is run by liberal anti-white leftist Jews.
Companies offer ads for Youtube and those companies obviously have terms and wishes where they want/don't want their ads to be seen, like; "Please don't show our ads during that Stefan Molyneux's video about how women destroy nations, so it doesn't look like we support that"

Quote:
Originally Posted by every meme conservative ever
sob sob, why I'm being demonetized and losing views, must be those liberal algorithms
That "social blacklisting" is bs. Molyneux had his hayday and YT was constantly spamming his videos to me. Then there were lot of MGTOW stuff being suggested non-stop, when it was "new and cool" and now, there's always that anti-SJW gamersgate whining on my YT front page; "Why the media hates the Joker movie bla bla blaa" "The truth about Joker bla bla blaa(with conservative memes") FIIIIINE! If you insist YT, I watch them then...

You can't entertain large groups of people infinitely by acting like a sociopath, standing in a white room, whining and lecturing about the modern day women and IQ for the close up camera, it's all about respecting the superhero origins and traditions of the male scifi characters now Steve... Gamers rise up!

btw, what is the "Youtube "Rs" in the OP? Googled it and it gave stuff about "RuneScape" etc..

-61 Lincoln
-62 Fairlane
-65 Mustang
-68 Escort
-91 Thunderbird
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 12:17 PM
SAS Member

I also get annoyed by people asking me to support them. It would be OK to see a link to their paypal account or something for viewers who were feeling generous, but directly asking for money feels exactly like you put it - panhandling. And a lot of these money beggars are putting videos out once a month or so. I can imagine how such hard work warrants monetary donations

And Youtube has gotten pretty horrible. I can only watch only 5 minutes of video before I get a commercial?! I don't recall ever watching TV and having commercials this frequently. And some of the commercials last like 10 minutes?!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:14 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by veron View Post
And Youtube has gotten pretty horrible. I can only watch only 5 minutes of video before I get a commercial?! I don't recall ever watching TV and having commercials this frequently. And some of the commercials last like 10 minutes?!
You can get an ad blocker that will remove the ads but then the youtubers will have to beg more because eventually the money will dry up from the ad revenue.

But I've resigned to just blocking them all because if you don't block them they're annoying as all hell. So free youtube is doomed. It's a matter of time until we'll all have to pay to watch anything. Just like the good old days when cable was 60 bucks a month no matter how much or how little you watched (which wasn't a bad deal if you watched TV constantly).

/WYSD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page