How do you know which religion is the right one? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

How do you know which religion is the right one?

There are many religions that exist in the world. Just in Christianity there are groups within this religion. They interpret the bible differently and leads them to have slightly different beliefs, beliefs and practices that according to the bible can make a difference whether or not the person will be rewarded with an afterlife. How do you know that your religion is the right one or the correct one? The one with the truth. If you were born in another part of the world, would this still be your religion?(Whatever that religion might be). Have you studied other religions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 05:03 PM
SAS Member

I don't think there is or will ever be a way to find out which (if any) religion is 'the right one'. It just comes down to whatever people believe. I haven't studied other religions, but I can't ever say that someone elses religion is wrong or stupid because I just don't know.

I was brought up to believe in Jesus and God, but I won't go as far as to believe he will return. I suppose the only way we will ever know is if when we die, there is something else. Of course it could be that when we die, thats it. You just don't know.

What is the meaning of life?

Whatever you want it to be.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 AM
SAS Member

A ouija board can tell you

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:57 AM
SAS Member

Real religion is in your heart, it has to do with finding peace and meaning in your life, with a good conscience, and the churches are kind of a guidance help only, it is good to think independently of your church in common sense ways, and think of the church as not a primary source of guidance but a secondary one. Your own spirit and mind come first. After all Jesus showed you can have fellowship through God directly, this is what I disagree with the Catholics on too, they say you need the church. YOu don't. All you need is a relationship with God. Your mind that says that Mary prayers and the rosary for hours is not helpful maybe should be obeyed...and you should pray in a regular way. I believe in putting your conscience first and 2nd.. Catholic and Protestant churches as well as honoring truth in however it comes, 3rd..from psychologists or mythology parables etc. Putting a religion before your mind is a disaster, you really cannot trust any church to guide you well, but you can put them second, they can have a place in your life too. Actually blindly following anyone is always a distaster, but yet you still know others have value in your life.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:21 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinAkuma View Post
There are many religions that exist in the world. Just in Christianity there are groups within this religion. They interpret the bible differently and leads them to have slightly different beliefs, beliefs and practices that according to the bible can make a difference whether or not the person will be rewarded with an afterlife. How do you know that your religion is the right one or the correct one? The one with the truth. If you were born in another part of the world, would this still be your religion?(Whatever that religion might be). Have you studied other religions?
if you want to find the right religion, esp in christianity, you have to invest in your time, studying different doctrines of other christian churches, and compare their critical points with each other.

after that, observe those churches, who is following their doctrine and who is not (there are churches that their subcultures dictate their way of life, not their doctrine).

lastly, your never-ending commitment of searching for God, will eventually lead you to the 'truth' you are seeking.

your relationship to God is more fulfilling than religions, religions are just organized groups of people who believe they are the chosen ones or the chosen people. our logic tells, that god is fair, therefore, he will not favor one religion vs other.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 04:23 AM
avast ye landlubbers

Just remember, if you choose the wrong one you'll burn in hell for eternity.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:43 PM
SAS Member

I don't think there's really any "right religion".

I think people should just believe what they want to believe and not be judged for doing so. I also think there has to be a line drawn somewhere though...

I've never really studied any type of religion, i was just brought up Catholic. I dont really have a religion now, i just believe in certain things that makes sense to me.

"The good life is what I need
Too many people stepping over me
The only thing that's been on my mind
Is the one thing I need before I die" -Three Days Grace

I don't got a myspace, facebook, twitter, etc...i just have youtube: http://www.youtube.com/Dov3Lvr27
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
SAS Member

They're all wrong. It's my opinion that organized religion has done more to turn people away from God than it has to bring them closer. Seems they only care about which one is right, which one has more followers, how they can make more money, etc.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:24 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

^ The Cheat, I do believe you're onto something there!

It's whatever one feels right to you - the one that helps your heart connect with deity and/or yourself. You should be able to safely question your religion's beliefs without being shamed by fellow worshipers, too. That doesn't always have to do with the religion, but the group or church you worship with... in which case, you should move on.

Whether or not it causes harm to yourself and your loved ones in the name of "sacrifice" and piety is another factor to take into consideration, IMHO. I've never been a fan of those religions where family members are disowned because they left the faith. That just does not sit right with me.

Of course, "organized religion" might not be right for you. In that case, you can go the "spiritual" route, paving the way on your own, taking in wisdom from many sources, be they different philosophies, religions, and your own life experience. As they say, the world is your oyster.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 PM
SAS Member

I'm Middle Eastern and as you know every major religion is from there. Middle Easterners weren't always polytheistic though. It all started from Zoroastrianism. This religion came wayyy before even Judaism. It is the first known monotheistic religion in the world. It encouraged the believers to do good (good words, good thoughts and good deeds were its 3 pillars) and it told them that you will go to hell if you do bad things. It introduced the world to ahriman (the devil) and also introduced heaven and hell.

This religion was the state religion of Iran and was one of the reasons Iran grew to become the largest empire the world had ever seen. The picture you see in my avatar is called farvahar and it's a guardian angel (of Zoroastrians).

MONOTHEISM UNITES PEOPLE UNDER ONE FLAG! Instead of different Persian tribes fighting each other over diff gods, they started uniting under Zoroaster. Instead of killing each other, they went after the "pagan Babylonians" .... all the way to the Greeks.

This made the Persians the sole hyper power for 300 years and a super power for almost a 1000 years. Similarly, around the 600's, a brilliant man by the name Mohamad made up Islam. He did smtg no other man before him was able to do, which was to unite Arabia! He then conquered Persia all the way to Spain (Spain was a Muslim country for hundreds of years).

I don't want to go against the forum's rules by talking against religion, but take it from a Middle Easterner who has seen it all. Religion is made up! However, brilliant military men like Mohamad know how to use religion to their advantage.

The most recent Middle Eastern creation is Bahaism!! It was invented in Shiraz (Iran) in the 1800's by a man named Bahaollah! The guy called himself a prophet and said he is carrying the word of god. Before long he had found followers and this made him a dead man. Now I want you to go on youtube and type in Bahaism and see how people FROM ALL OVER THE PLANET are becoming Bahai!! Today, a mere 200 years after this event, hundreds of thousands (if not millions, I never looked it up) are Bahais and most of them are non-Iranian. Religion is a powerful tool, don't ever forget it.
The bible, torah, Quran etc... were all made up within a few hundred mile radius of where I was born and many like them are being made up as we speak lol
Believe in them if you want to belong, but never take them as reality or "god's words" cuz they aint nothing but the words of smart Middle Eastern individuals <<lol
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfi View Post
I'm Middle Eastern and as you know every major religion is from there. Middle Easterners weren't always polytheistic though. It all started from Zoroastrianism. This religion came wayyy before even Judaism. It is the first known monotheistic religion in the world. It encouraged the believers to do good (good words, good thoughts and good deeds were its 3 pillars) and it told them that you will go to hell if you do bad things. It introduced the world to ahriman (the devil) and also introduced heaven and hell.

This religion was the state religion of Iran and was one of the reasons Iran grew to become the largest empire the world had ever seen. The picture you see in my avatar is called farvahar and it's a guardian angel (of Zoroastrians).

MONOTHEISM UNITES PEOPLE UNDER ONE FLAG! Instead of different Persian tribes fighting each other over diff gods, they started uniting under Zoroaster. Instead of killing each other, they went after the "pagan Babylonians" .... all the way to the Greeks.

This made the Persians the sole hyper power for 300 years and a super power for almost a 1000 years. Similarly, around the 600's, a brilliant man by the name Mohamad made up Islam. He did smtg no other man before him was able to do, which was to unite Arabia! He then conquered Persia all the way to Spain (Spain was a Muslim country for hundreds of years).

I don't want to go against the forum's rules by talking against religion, but take it from a Middle Easterner who has seen it all. Religion is made up! However, brilliant military men like Mohamad know how to use religion to their advantage.

The most recent Middle Eastern creation is Bahaism!! It was invented in Shiraz (Iran) in the 1800's by a man named Bahaollah! The guy called himself a prophet and said he is carrying the word of god. Before long he had found followers and this made him a dead man. Now I want you to go on youtube and type in Bahaism and see how people FROM ALL OVER THE PLANET are becoming Bahai!! Today, a mere 200 years after this event, hundreds of thousands (if not millions, I never looked it up) are Bahais and most of them are non-Iranian. Religion is a powerful tool, don't ever forget it.
The bible, torah, Quran etc... were all made up within a few hundred mile radius of where I was born and many like them are being made up as we speak lol
Believe in them if you want to belong, but never take them as reality or "god's words" cuz they aint nothing but the words of smart Middle Eastern individuals <<lol
Quote:
It encouraged the believers to do good (good words, good thoughts and good deeds were its 3 pillars) and it told them that you will go to hell if you do bad things.

Instead of different Persian tribes fighting each other over diff gods, they started uniting under Zoroaster. Instead of killing each other, they went after the "pagan Babylonians" .... all the way to the Greeks.
Exactly. They followed a religion that says "do bad things, you're going to hell"...and then killed anyone who didn't believe in their religion. That is why religion is the worst. The message of each religion are fine, but they almost always get forgotten as that religion fights for more followers, because that equals more power and more money. Ugh.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Agoraphobic Anxietist

After a lot of research and feeling around, I've found that for me, there is no 'proper' religion. I agree with aspects of many religions, by what is important to me, and that is the code I live my life by. What better code to follow than the one which makes you who you want to be? I grew up as a Christian but my love of humanity and struggle to understand how anyone could deserve hell changed that. Religion is not always an 'awakening' experience. Sometimes it's the progression of self-realization. In whtever you uncover, I wish you luck.

Love is the only way to Justice
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticinjustice View Post
Religion is not always an 'awakening' experience. Sometimes it's the progression of self-realization.
Yes, I agree!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cheat View Post
Exactly. They followed a religion that says "do bad things, you're going to hell"...and then killed anyone who didn't believe in their religion. That is why religion is the worst. The message of each religion are fine, but they almost always get forgotten as that religion fights for more followers, because that equals more power and more money. Ugh.
Religion is like a cell phone contract. It's all good until you get to the fine prints.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:50 AM
jaynex10

“I do not pretend to be able to prove that there is no God. I equally cannot prove that Satan is a fiction. The Christian God may exist; so may the Gods of Olympus, or of ancient Egypt, or of Babylon. But no one of these hypotheses is more probable than any other: they lie outside the region of even probable knowledge, and therefore there is no reason to consider any of them"
-Bertrand Russel
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 02:10 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cheat View Post
They're all wrong. It's my opinion that organized religion has done more to turn people away from God than it has to bring them closer. Seems they only care about which one is right, which one has more followers, how they can make more money, etc.
I agree they are cults. Everyone believes they are the right one. Completely ignorant. How can anyone know what truly in a person heart. We don't have a right to judge others yet everyone constantly does. Human nature I suppose.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
SAS Member

Whatever makes you feel at peace within yourself should be the proper religion for you.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagueResemblance View Post
Just remember, if you choose the wrong one you'll burn in hell for eternity.
I dont think imposing fear can make ppl believe with their heart.

I personally think religions have got out of hand. Too many rules, traditions and other crap that obscures the original purpose.

I say In essence all religions at their core are the same. You have to be critical and see what stuff was added by man over the millennias.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinAkuma View Post
The best answer is the simplest according to Occam's Razor and in this case it is atheism.

Why do we need something supernatural like God or Gods?
There is no need indeed.
About monotheistic religions: God is just the projection of the archaic need of an unquestionable leader, like there is in many groups of apes.

About pantheistic religions such as Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduisms these are actually philosophies, in a modern view they are totally compatible with atheism.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Maimonides said Judaism has two kinds of truths, Actual Truths which are actually true and Necessary Truths which aren't actually true but the Jews have to believe in them to avoid assimilation and have Judaism survive.

I think every religion has Necessary Truths, they don't really do anything except mark a line between who is a member of the religion and who is not. What really matters aren't these lines between people but the line between right and wrong.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page