How do you feel about the coronavirus? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Coronavirus, how you feeling?
Not concerned 5 7.25%
Concerned but not panicky 38 55.07%
I’m freaking out 5 7.25%
I don’t know how I feel 9 13.04%
It’s time for another population reducing pandemic 1 1.45%
Bring on the apocalypse 7 10.14%
other 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired

How do you feel about the coronavirus?

Now that it's been declared a pandemic, are you worried about it or are you living your life like you normally do?

TRE45ON

Mayor Pete, top choice for US vets- a sus ordenes mi teniente.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump
No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 06:03 PM
SAS Member

I'm pretty concerned. There's not enough tests being done, we have no idea how many people are carriers without symptoms. The protocols here aren't that good. Screenings being done are just questionnaires, which people can easily lie on. Many people don't even know if they've been exposed. I work in a hospital where most of the patients are elderly. I'm afraid it'll spread to them through us. Or I'm afraid I'll take it home from the hospital and my diabetic dad will get it.

Idk. There still haven't been any confirmed cases here, that we know of.

Not panicky yet.
post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 06:15 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
I fully expect that most of us will become sick with coronavirus eventually. I'm mostly worried about becoming a carrier of the disease and giving it to one of my family members with health issues. I don't really know how my immune system will handle it, either (but I'm not too worried about that). I just hope we can keep the healthcare system from being flooded all at one time. I'm also a little worried about food, and that some of my friends whose source of income has suddenly diminished and are going to struggle. Right now, I think I have job that's going to be steady for at least a little while, but it does seem like business is gradually slowing down.

Edit: other than that, I'm just going about my normal routine. I've always kept my distance from people. Just wish I could take off for a while

Life's Wack

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 06:32 PM
Chonker

Pretty concerned. Even being quarantined I'm still assuming that I'll get infected or my mother will be. I'm going to try to get my will done sooner than later. Plus with the economy crashing the house will probably have to be sold and there won't be jobs available. And if my mother dies from it there won't be a funeral due to the restriction on crowds. So yeah, imagining if it's a worst case scenario.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 07:44 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
It is sort of fascinating in a morbid sort of way. It is like we've been thrown into the history books and are just waiting what the result of it is going to be.
I can imagine things will change, sort of change like post 9/11, in how we act and behave going forward since this is unlikely to be the last time something like this happens with globalization and population growth happening without bound.
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 07:53 PM
SAS Member

^ That too. I wonder how this will be talked about in the future.
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 07:54 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Right now, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I'm worried about older people, and am curious what kind of world it will be post covid-19. Things are going to change, I just don't know how they will change. I imagine privacy will be further a thing of the past, that there will be more cameras keeping track of us, more tools in general that will be used for prevention against another pandemic.. but perhaps UBI will become a new thing, we will come together and build homeless people homes, health insurance will become a right.

I think I felt more panic, back in February. I purchased most of my food back then, and started making preparations - but even then I was not running around in circles, screaming that the end is nigh! Right now, I'm more so worried about other people. So yeah, at this point I'm thinking about the future, my mind is focused on what is to come as a result of this pandemic.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 07:59 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
My coworkers know people who have it. It's only a matter of time before someone at work infects everyone. Most of my coworkers don't really bother to wash their hands and pretty much just continue being as disgusting as they usually are.
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:16 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Mainly I'm worried about my parents, since they're all I have in the world and they're in COVID-19's target demographic. This has also affected our ability to shop for our weekly groceries (I needed things like antibacterial soap and medical gloves long BEFORE this outbreak), and my ability to get medical procedures done in a timely manner (was supposed to have a major dental procedure done this Thursday...now it's been moved to May -_- ).

The social distancing thing, though, has hardly affected me because that's been my life (unwillingly) for around the past thirty years. I feel rather cynical watching all the "anxiety experts" gushing out advice on the news ("Live in the moment!"--what's next, "Just stop worrying about it"?) and formerly sociable people complaining about how harrrrrd it is to be alone for a few months. Boohoo. They've still got loads of friends on Skype/Facebook Live/whatever. And nobody cares/cared that permanent social distancing is just everyday life and has been, for DECADES, for many of us. At least when this is over, those people can happily go back to their sociable lives while many of us will still be as alone and miserable as ever. And nobody will care.

I think it's about time non-anxious people got a taste of what unwilling social isolation is like...too bad it has to come with a potentially lethal illness, though. Would prefer to do without that part. But go figure, plenty of these people refuse to take it seriously (because it's so harrrrrd) and continue endangering themselves and everyone around them by going to social gatherings...well, I don't have much pity to spare for them. I'll save that for the people they're selfishly endangering because they can't isolate themselves for a minuscule amount of time.

...Yeah, I guess I've gotten bitter. Would've been nice if these anxiety experts and sociable people gave a crap about those of us who've been dealing with this for years, but nope. "Go out and talk to people" was all I ever got.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:48 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
This is just a trial from God. To shake people and drop them to their knees. Remind people its Him we need not our jobs, money, items, health, etc. Just a small appetizer to the main course....when He returns.

I'm at peace . Just wish others would think about someone other than themselves for once. Its like survival of the fittest mentality.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #11 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:34 PM
Packing My Bags

Hard to say, with how fast things have been unfolding this past few days. But I guess the faster it's peaking, the quicker this will pass hopefully. Although I am expecting for this to return and get bad again after a period of remission with everyone's guard and precautions being down and all after that.

But hopefully this will mostly be behind us once/if a working vaccine finally gets developed and widely available.

A silver lining is, with future mass pandemics, at least we might be more prepared after learning from this.

^^^ Gibberish ^^^

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #12 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:53 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
Not worried at all, probably already had it a week ago, was quite sick, wasn’t worried then either
post #13 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:05 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
Right now, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I'm worried about older people, and am curious what kind of world it will be post covid-19. Things are going to change, I just don't know how they will change. I imagine privacy will be further a thing of the past, that there will be more cameras keeping track of us, more tools in general that will be used for prevention against another pandemic.. but perhaps UBI will become a new thing, we will come together and build homeless people homes, health insurance will become a right.

I think I felt more panic, back in February. I purchased most of my food back then, and started making preparations - but even then I was not running around in circles, screaming that the end is nigh! Right now, I'm more so worried about other people. So yeah, at this point I'm thinking about the future, my mind is focused on what is to come as a result of this pandemic.
I see what you mean now mate.

I'm pretty worried about it tbh. I was getting all worked up about it the other morning because my wife had really been going overboard - I worry more about her really. She has health anxiety - so anything like this really gets her upset. She tends to over-react - even to minor things, so with this it's not going to be good.

I'm just glad I'm not older than I am - that would be a lot scarier, but this is bad enough.
post #14 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:07 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
Concerned, mostly because of my dad. He's getting chemo so his white count is down, and if he were to contract the virus I don't think he could pull through. If I were to contract it and pass it to him... I don't think I could live with that. So I hope I'd die too.

It's also severely impacting my school life, as the university has moved all classes for the rest of this semester online, and the professor of my hardest class basically decided to ditch lectures altogether and just give us more homework. It's a class that I need a lot of TA help in, but that will all have to be online too, so it's going to be a major pain. And the software they're using is cumbersome to say the least. It's going to be a long five weeks.

On the other hand, I do believe that reducing the human population is necessary for this planet and for the future of humanity. The self-destructive and misanthropic part of me is actually kind of rooting for the virus, in some ways. Does that make me a terrible person?

"Churches ... appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.." -Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason
post #15 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 12:50 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
On the other hand, I do believe that reducing the human population is necessary for this planet and for the future of humanity. The self-destructive and misanthropic part of me is actually kind of rooting for the virus, in some ways. Does that make me a terrible person?

I think that is pretty typical, a lot of people wish death and/or misery on others for some benefit.

From the perspective of morality, it is kind of weird. I don't believe in a higher form of morality, built into the fabric of cosmos. It is strange how many people do though, and people die a lot because of it. I think even if there were a way to save the world, and humanity, people would still want others to suffer, and die. Does that mean, those people that desire the such should suffer and die, because they have crossed some line though?

I hope you and your family make it through this well. Does this make me a saint, and you a horrible heathen Am I just some grand standing virtue warrior? It all gets pretty complicated, but ultimately I don't think you are a horrible person, and I am a good person.

I'm just a bit dizzy from celebrating st. patty's day

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #16 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 03:38 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Pensive
Other than not being able to go to work, it's not impacting me in a large way. Thankfully I won't lose my job or my paycheck. But I would still say that I'm freaking out.

I'm concerned about other people. I'm concerned about the people at work (I work with a vulnerable population). I'm concerned about the economy - people losing their jobs, unable to pay rent or buy food. I'm concerned about grocery stores not being properly stocked because of hoarders. I'm concerned about hospital systems being overwhelmed so that people can't access proper medical care.

The worst part is that we don't know how long this will go on. I think it's just beginning and it's going to get worse.

It is the light she longs to find,
When she delights in learning more.
Her world is learning; it defines
The destiny she’s reaching for

- Marie Curie
post #17 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 03:56 AM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I worry less about it then crypto-facist psuedo-rationalist eugenicists slowly and sneakily trying to edge their way into the British government from the back end. Also the effects of it will be proportional to their **** ups.

"One way to get around the problems of unplanned pregnancies creating a permanent underclass would be to legally enforce universal uptake of long-term contraception at the onset of puberty."

That guy decided to quit after being figured out, and because he was only just hired and he can presumably sociopath somewhere else. You know there's probably some business or creative idea he needs to gradually destroy. But they're like ants.

You destroy the uh, 'permanant underclass' but who is going to kill you? Your clueless, loyal army of non-violent hard working idiots? No it's the people in prison right now. So I'm afraid it will have to be you guys first. We're going to have to go to purge.

The US is doing something similar atm with:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/0...message-online

The virus is going to successfully distract Americans from that, and also your election obviously.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #18 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 03:59 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #19 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 07:58 AM
Barbells and kittens

So far everything is pretty normal for me. We're still working every day at my job and my gym is still open. Those are about the only places I really go on a daily basis. My girlfriend works at a bank and they closed the lobby, but drive through remains open. So we're both still working like normal.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #20 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 08:05 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I was totally nonchalant about this a week ago, then suddenly society shut down. It just escalated super fast where I live - I never thought it would affect us like this.

I'm kind of nervous I guess.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page