Historical Figures You'd Like to See Movies About - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
throwaway

Historical Figures You'd Like to See Movies About

And why or which part of their life story.

the truth may vary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 03:23 PM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Hard to think really since most historical figures I'm aware of don't interest me much, and some who do already have films about them and I haven't seen all of them (like The Imitation Game.)

Dali is somewhat interesting, especially his sexuality, but I don't really have much interest in watching a film about him. I dunno, I can just kind of read about people online. There's one anecdote of him looking at a dead bat as a child being devoured by ants and then he picked it up and bit into it which I think would be cinematically interesting. (Also I don't know if there's already a film about Dali I don't know about, quite probably.)

I was thinking recently it would have been nice if The Danish Girl was historically accurate (I didn't watch the film though, just read through the script and read reviews.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 03:41 PM
Self isolating from self

I think that most historical figures I'm aware of have already been depicted in a film or tv series.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing limited series about the Gracchus brothers.

Setup progress now at 100% capacity.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 07:54 PM
SAS Member

The historical figures would have to be recent...or re-interpreted. For example, a movie about J. Edgar Hoover's closet sexuality rather than his professional life.

As for recent, maybe Ronald Reagan, maybe even Donald Trump, or a Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky thing...although for a Clinton thing, he'd have to be long dead. There's no way they'll have a movie of him in a compromising position while he's alive.

Personally, I'd like to see a movie biopic of Manuel Noriega. It would be interesting to see how a liberal "take" on his life would look like...

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 05:50 AM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
Edith Stein and Witkacy come to mind, there's a bunch more I'd remember if I weren't sleep-deprived at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
For example, a movie about J. Edgar Hoover's closet sexuality rather than his professional life.
The Fate series has an interesting take on this

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 06:26 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I'd watch a comedy about Seńor Hilter's life in Argentina, where he has to evade the Mossad while enduring Fegelein's antics.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
A film about the life of Bj Blaskovits, but without his daughters,

What is a man?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 11:24 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Harold Godwinson/William the Conqueror movie would be great because it's such a pivotal moment in English history.

Also maybe an early church father like John Chrysostom would be interesting because I like that late antique period.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 01:06 AM
Socializing with myself

Language: Created my own language for context
I wouldn't need to watch any historical figure in a movie. I want to watch the actual person at their existing time.

Signature Under Construction - Be back very soon to update knowledge!

In the meantime. I'll perfect my writing techniques.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 03:19 PM
SAS Member

A lesser known historical figure, but I'd like to see a great film, an epic film, about the female World War Two Russian sniper, Roza Shanina. Quite a lot is known about her life and she recorded her experiences on the front-line in a diary. She had great courage and at age 14 walked 200 kilometres across the tundra(!) to attend college in Arkhangelsk. But like a lot of touching films, her story doesn't have a happy ending either. It would be a tear-jerker.

Here's her Wiki page if you'd like to read more about her:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roza_Shanina
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 05:14 PM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
Two Mexican heroes, Emiliano Zapata and Pancho Villa. I'd also watch a movie about the atrocities of Villa's Butcher.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 07:00 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
I don't know if there are any I'd really want to see movies about right now. I have limited patience for movies these days. I usually don't make it through the ones I do start watching because I'll get 15 minutes into it and start thinking about something unrelated that I'm curious about and want to look it up online and research it. I guess the internet has ruined me.

/WYSD
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 04:34 AM
Guide - Politics Section

Language: English, Czech
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubly View Post
Two Mexican heroes, Emiliano Zapata and Pancho Villa. I'd also watch a movie about the atrocities of Villa's Butcher.
I'd definitely watch a film about either of these figures. I'd also be interested in a film documenting the Neo-Zapatismo, or Zapatista, movement in Chiapas. I think their stance against Neo-Liberalism and in favour of indigenous communities is inspirational. I've read a few books written about and by members of the Zapatistas.

I'd also be interested in a film about the Spanish Anarchist Buenaventura Durruti, who led a quite remarkable life by all accounts.

For non-overtly political figures, I'd probably go with Fyodor Dostoevsky, who escaped the firing-squad thanks to a reprieve, and went on to become one of Russia's best respected writers.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 02:20 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
The first person to steal someone's thunder:

Quote:
This idiom comes from an actual incident in which playwright and critic John Dennis (1657–1734) devised a “thunder machine” (by rattling a sheet of tin backstage) for his play, Appius and Virginia (1709), and a few days later discovered the same device being used in a performance of Macbeth, whereupon he declared, “They steal my thunder.”
My friend told me about this. I would pay money to see a dramatization of this historic event.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 06:01 AM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead
Probably mad jack because the man really was a lunatic. Bagpipes in hand going into battle during WWII and he used a long bow as a weapon on the battlefield even getting some kills with it.. Not the greatest man that ever lived, but the entertainment value on the big screen 10/10

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 10:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Probably mad jack because the man really was a lunatic. Bagpipes in hand going into battle during WWII and he used a long bow as a weapon on the battlefield even getting some kills with it.. Not the greatest man that ever lived, but the entertainment value on the big screen 10/10
I'd go as far as to say that he was one mad lad.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 05:23 AM
SAS Member

A great film about the geologist Eugene Shoemaker would be awesome. He set out to prove that large asteroids and comets sometimes do in fact collide with our Earth, and was vindicated in 1994 (and I remember this, too) when he co-discoverd Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9 which ploughed into the planet Jupiter with devastating results. It was big news at that time. Eugene Shoemaker. A pioneer.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 05:05 PM
SAS Member

I'd like to see one about Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko, the female Soviet sniper in the Red Army during World War II, credited with 309 confirmed kills, making her the most successful female sniper in recorded history.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 11:59 AM
SAS Member

Freddie Oversteegen, a 14 year old girl from raised by a communist mother, joined the Dutch resistance during WW2, blowing up train tracks and bridges, helping Jewish children escape concentration camps, smuggling children out the country, and assassinating an unknown amount of Nazi soldiers during the war, she ended up living till she was 92 years old, dying in 2018.

"have I not reason to hate and to despise myself? Indeed I do; and chiefly for not having hated and despised the world enough."
~William Hazlitt

"There have been times when only a hair's-breadth has intervened betwixt myself and the seething devil-ridden world of madness; for the hideous knowledge, the horror- blackened memories which I have carried so long, were never meant to be borne by the human intellect."
~Clark Ashton Smith
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 12:06 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo15 View Post
I'd like to see one about Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko, the female Soviet sniper in the Red Army during World War II, credited with 309 confirmed kills, making her the most successful female sniper in recorded history.
Battle for Sevastopol (2015)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Sevastopol

"have I not reason to hate and to despise myself? Indeed I do; and chiefly for not having hated and despised the world enough."
~William Hazlitt

"There have been times when only a hair's-breadth has intervened betwixt myself and the seething devil-ridden world of madness; for the hideous knowledge, the horror- blackened memories which I have carried so long, were never meant to be borne by the human intellect."
~Clark Ashton Smith

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page