post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Stressed
Arrow

Hillary Clinton no longer considers Trump a joke

To Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump Is No Longer a Laughing Matter

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/us...tter.html?_r=0

WATERLOO, Iowa — Until Monday, when Donald J. Trump proposed a ban on Muslims entering the United States, Hillary Clinton could hardly keep herself from laughing at the mention of his name. “I’m sorry, I can’t help it,” she told ABC News on Sunday, letting out a giggle that made advisers squirm.

She is no longer laughing.

At a town hall here on Wednesday, Mrs. Clinton delivered her most damning, direct criticism of Mr. Trump, saying that he traffics “in prejudice and paranoia,” and that his Muslim proposal was “not only shameful, it’s dangerous.”

But Mrs. Clinton also strove to recognize something stirring in the electorate that Mr. Trump had clearly tapped into. “It’s O.K., it’s O.K. to be afraid,” she said. “When bad things happen, it does cause anxiety and fear,” she added. “But then you pull yourself together and, especially, if you want to be a leader of our country, and you say: ‘O.K., what are we going to do about it? How are we going to be prepared?’”

The remarks bore little resemblance to Mrs. Clinton’s previous dismissals of Mr. Trump. She had portrayed him as a reality television sideshow who voiced more extreme beliefs that, she contended, his more serious Republican rivals shared.

But since Mr. Trump’s response to the Dec. 2 terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Calif., Mrs. Clinton and her campaign, confounded by his continued strength in the polls, have had to rethink how they handle Mr. Trump and what his candidacy, and the anger in the electorate that has fueled it, means for her chances in 2016.

Some of her own voters are giving her reason to.

Bennie Stickley, a 75-year-old in Gilbertville, Iowa, who retired from a John Deere factory, said he was supporting Mrs. Clinton but agrees with Mr. Trump’s proposal to bar Muslims. “I’m for him on that,” he said. “We shouldn’t be letting those people into the country,” he added.

“She’s as amazed as everyone else is” by his staying power, said Edward G. Rendell, a former governor of Pennsylvania, who recently spoke to Mrs. Clinton about Mr. Trump.

That befuddlement played out in the 24 hours after Mr. Trump released his proposal on Monday. The Clinton campaign, caught off guard, seemed to grapple publicly with how to respond.

Mrs. Clinton alternated between tugging at the heartstrings with messages of inclusiveness and capitalizing on Mr. Trump’s comments in ways that some Democrats considered unseemly. After she quickly rejected Mr. Trump’s remarks on Twitter, a fund-raising email went out that night from a top aide, Huma Abedin, under the subject line “I’m a proud Muslim.”

The campaign released a “Love Trumps Hate” bumper sticker, and on Tuesday, Mrs. Clinton published an open letter on Medium titled “No, Donald Trump, We’re Not Barring Muslims From Entering the Country” that pleaded for tolerance.

But privately, campaign aides said a day later that the dust had not settled, and they were searching for how best to hit back at Mr. Trump without dismissing the heightened feelings of insecurity that he was playing upon.

Mrs. Clinton nodded sympathetically. “That’s why I called Trump out at the beginning of what I said today,” she said. “I think it’s shameful for our country to have people running around to be president of the United States, saying these things, demonizing people.”

Moments later, when a college student asked Mrs. Clinton to make a Snapchat video saying, “You’re fired, Donald Trump,” she demurred.

“I’m not going to say that,” she said, as if to do so would cross a line. Instead, she agreed to make a lighthearted, quick video for the young man that did not mention Mr. Trump.

On Thursday night, when asked about Mr. Trump in an appearance on NBC’s “Late Night with Seth Meyers,” Mrs. Clinton said, “You know, I have to say, Seth. I no longer think he’s funny," adding that Mr. Trump’s latest comments had “gone way over the line.”

Mrs. Clinton is not the only Democrat struggling to settle on a strategy for responding to Mr. Trump’s campaign, the unpredictable Republican race and what Mr. Trump’s appeal says about the mood of the electorate.

Even when the White House press secretary, Josh Earnest, sternly said Mr. Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims “disqualifies him from serving as president,” Mr. Earnest also called Mr. Trump a “carnival barker” and poked fun at his “fake hair.”

“The elite political community has been struggling to figure out how to deal with him because they don’t fundamentally understand the phenomenon,” said David Axelrod, former senior adviser to President Obama. “He’s speaking to something that they’re just getting their arms around.”

If Mrs. Clinton and other Democrats are certain that Mr. Trump’s candidacy is harming the Republican Party, they appear less sure how to respond to it.

Mr. Rendell condemned Mr. Trump’s more incendiary ideas, but added that there were parts of his message, like the need to hem in China and put a stop to currency manipulation that hurts America in trade deals, that could appeal to white working-class Democrats who are concerned about the shrinking middle class.

“A lot of what he says resonates with what you and I would call ‘reasonable, thinking people,’” Mr. Rendell said. “That’s the part that I think is important for Hillary or any Republican running, or Bernie Sanders, or anybody. That’s the part that I think is important for them to realize.”

Many of Mrs. Clinton’s advisers say they still doubt Mr. Trump will be the Republican nominee, but they have contemplated what it would mean for Mrs. Clinton, a policy wonk known for her 12-point plans to approach problems, to run against the visceral Mr. Trump, said several of those advisers who insisted on anonymity to discuss private conversations.

In Washington on Thursday, Mrs. Clinton’s pollster, Joel Benenson, told a campaign briefing that he believed Mr. Trump would linger and be a "dominant" force, but that he could not predict whom the nominee would be, according to an attendee.

Former President Bill Clinton has been particularly intrigued by Mr. Trump’s appeal, referring to his campaign as ideal for what he dismissively calls an “Instagram election” of quick sound bites and easy responses (“Build a wall!” “Close the borders!”) to extremely complex problems, said one of these advisers with direct knowledge of Mr. Clinton’s conversations.

Mrs. Clinton’s campaign has tried to portray Mr. Trump as the id of the Republican Party, saying what his more measured rivals think. This week, the campaign released a “Who said it: Donald Trump or not Donald Trump?” online quiz. “When it comes to hateful rhetoric, it’s difficult to tell the difference between the Republicans running for president,” the quiz read.

That connection may not be durable with voters after Mr. Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims, which some of his Republican rivals forcefully rejected.

At the same time, the threat of a homegrown terrorist attack has elevated anxieties and made Mr. Trump’s proposal appealing even to some voters who support Mrs. Clinton.

In Waterloo, Mike Russell, 60, called Mr. Trump “an idiot.” But when he was asked if he thought Mrs. Clinton had been aggressive enough in outlining her plan to defeat ISIS, Mr. Russell paused.

“I don’t know,” he said. “That last deal in California, that changes the game.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Former President Bill Clinton has been particularly intrigued by Mr. Trump’s appeal, referring to his campaign as ideal for what he dismissively calls an “Instagram election” of quick sound bites and easy responses (“Build a wall!” “Close the borders!”) to extremely complex problems
Along those lines -- if Trump wants a chance at the presidency, he needs to figure out how to get his supporters off the internet (or wherever) and into actually voting. That could be a very tall task.

Quote:
In Waterloo, Mike Russell, 60, called Mr. Trump “an idiot.” But when he was asked if he thought Mrs. Clinton had been aggressive enough in outlining her plan to defeat ISIS, Mr. Russell paused.

“I don’t know,” he said. “That last deal in California, that changes the game.”
Who is Mike Russell? Did they ask random residents their opinions until they found one who labeled him "an idiot"? Speaking of soundbites...

Why does California change things? Did people think they'd become immune to terrorism on the homefront? If it "changed things" for you, boy, gotta get your head out of the sand and look around you.

Keep dismissing him, and he'll eventually go away... That still seems to be the prevailing attitude. "It's not possible for someone like Donald Trump to get the nomination." --> There are a lot of things that were "impossible" before they happened.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:21 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Devilish
Donald Trump is a complete and utter moron and if he's the Republican nominee I'm voting for the Democrats.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:32 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHearts View Post
Donald Trump is a complete and utter moron
I think he's brilliant.

One of three things is going on here,

1) He wants the attention. He doesn't care about the presidency, and is just using the election as a means to draw attention to himself. Mission accomplished.

2) He is a Democrat in disguise or is in cahoots with Hillary Clinton. He is deliberately sabotaging the Republican Party, or is specifically trying to get her elected. (He used to identify as a Democrat!) If this is what he wants to do, he will make it happen.

3) He is genuinely interested in the presidency. He knew that the only slightest chance he ever had was to make all these outlandish statements, and to get himself into the media's spotlight and keep himself there. If he hadn't have been doing this, he'd be polling at 1% right now (if not already dropped out of the picture). If his goal was to give himself the ever-so-smallest chance at it, then mission accomplished. Can anyone think of another way he could have kept his name in the running all this time?

Whatever his reasons are, whatever his end game is... he is doing it very successfully.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Stressed
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHearts View Post
Donald Trump is a complete and utter moron and if he's the Republican nominee I'm voting for the Democrats.
Definetly not a moron. Brash, arrogant, outspoken ... but not a moron.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:40 PM
SAS Member

I've been saying for a long time now that he has a good chance of taking the Republican nomination. To this day there are pundits pretending he has no chance at all, but they're wrong. He'll probably get it at this point.

It's incredibly sad for the American democratic process. A tiny percentage of the country will make him one of only two "real" candidates, he'll lose the general election, and nobody will have had any genuine choice at all.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:48 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
Perhaprs raterded is better than a moron?

How is it possible that people take this guy for serious? How stupid do you have to be?

Seriously, I get scared knowing so many people in the USA are voting for this guy.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by binckie View Post

How is it possible that people take this guy for serious? How stupid do you have to be?

Seriously, I get scared knowing so many people in the USA are voting for this guy.
I'm not. Look who they voted for the last time.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Inoffensive kitty pic

My Mood: Sneaky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
LOL

you know being a moron and being successful are not mutually exclusive.

Follow me on twitter! I like interesting things and conversations - https://twitter.com/ademotivator

My political blog latest post! (about American gun culture!) - http://thedemotivator.com/anything-but-guns/

Soundcloud for my acoustic rock music - https://soundcloud.com/thedemotivator
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I think it would be fair to say that she never did. Maybe an inside joke.

/WYSD
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amused
You can't just ban an entire religion. How could you even enforce this? Would he just ban arabs? Because their are many non-Muslim arabs. Also their are white, black, and asian Muslims. How do you go about identifying one as a Muslim? It's not possible. I don't think Donald Trump has even thought this through. It's a terrible proposal apart from all rational.

And this is coming from a guy who HATES the religion of Islam. Thinks its worse than all the other religions. And is a threat to western society. I also do not support letting refugees into this country. Despite this Im opposed to just barring all Muslims. That crosses the line of sanity and turns into fascism and REAL "islamaphobia". *pukes*

And you are a terrible human being if you are in favor of Trumps proposal. Need to re access who you are as a person and what you value in life.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 08:20 AM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
You do tend to stop laughing when you realise the number of braindead idiots who are dumb enough to support a clown like Trump. Then you start weeping for humanity.

Quote:
Bennie Stickley, a 75-year-old in Gilbertville, Iowa, who retired from a John Deere factory, said he was supporting Mrs. Clinton but agrees with Mr. Trump’s proposal to bar Muslims. “I’m for him on that,” he said. “We shouldn’t be letting those people into the country,” he added.
That's a world class intellect right there.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 08:37 AM
SAS Member

He seems to be pretty skilled at demagoguery and gaining copious amounts of media attention. Whether this will translate to votes for the primary elections, who knows.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:08 PM
:D

Quote:

He didn't become a billionaire by being stupid. He understands business and understands economics. People are voting for him because he has decades of experience in making things happen and building great things.

Check out my YouTube channel.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismeyo View Post
He didn't become a billionaire by being stupid. He understands business and understands economics. People are voting for him because he has decades of experience in making things happen and building great things.

You do realize he got a lot of money to start ?
It is a lot easier if you get a sh*tload of money to start off and you have capital behind you.
(+do not forget and this is often overlooked: he made money in real estate in the golden age! At that time everyone in real estate could make lots of money if you had the start capital)

And does he understand business and economics? He had a lot of luck (and actually he made lots of bad decisions).
So I have doubts.

Not everyone of those rich people is really smart of knows how to deal with stuff.
What they often do share is a sociopathlike trait.

And people are voting for him because he plays it smart by refering to issues that people care about but hardly know about.
He is targeting the sentimental parts of people.
He is just picking up the more popular topics to talk about, if you look at the content of what he is stating you will right away notice he is making stupid empty comments!

Being a politician and often becoming a famous one has more to do with talking in such a way you are confirming people in their believes than being smart and talking about real important issues!
The majority of people are rather "stupid" and not really into the real problems.

Why do you thinks technocrats are often not elected?
Politicians are often a facade. THe real thinkers are behind them (or often not, sadly enough).
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

+I have not even mentioned he got bankrupt!!!
+ he got back up on his feet because he got lots of money when his father passed away.

I am sorry: but its easy to get rich that way.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You do realize he got a lot of money to start ?
It is a lot easier if you get a sh*tload of money to start off and you have capital behind you.
(+do not forget and this is often overlooked: he made money in real estate in the golden age! At that time everyone in real estate could make lots of money if you had the start capital)

And does he understand business and economics? He had a lot of luck (and actually he made lots of bad decisions).
So I have doubts.

Not everyone of those rich people is really smart of knows how to deal with stuff.
What they often do share is a sociopathlike trait.

And people are voting for him because he plays it smart by refering to issues that people care about but hardly know about.
He is targeting the sentimental parts of people.
He is just picking up the more popular topics to talk about, if you look at the content of what he is stating you will right away notice he is making stupid empty comments!

Being a politician and often becoming a famous one has more to do with talking in such a way you are confirming people in their believes than being smart and talking about real important issues!
The majority of people are rather "stupid" and not really into the real problems.

Why do you thinks technocrats are often not elected?
Politicians are often a facade. THe real thinkers are behind them (or often not, sadly enough).
It's easy to judge someone or claim that they got lucky. It's also preposterous to me that you think its easy becoming a billionaire. Is Bill Gates lucky too? Steve Jobs? They were both computer guys who were eager to start businesses during the computer boom.

Trump has never been bankrupt. A few of his hundreds of businesses has filed for bankruptcy at some point. That is a pretty good success rate if you ask me. What successful person (or any person in that matter) hasn't made some mistakes of bad deals in their life? :P

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:40 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
It's easy to judge someone or claim that they got lucky. It's also preposterous to me that you think its easy becoming a billionaire. Is Bill Gates lucky too? Steve Jobs? They were both computer guys who were eager to start businesses during the computer boom.

Trump has never been bankrupt. A few of his hundreds of businesses has filed for bankruptcy at some point. That is a pretty good success rate if you ask me. What successful person (or any person in that matter) hasn't made some mistakes of bad deals in their life? :P

Ok so this shows clearly you do not know about certain things or you are mixing things up.

1) Trump was indeed , personally, never brankrupt. But be honest: one of his companies was billions of dollars in depth! The only reason he was not sleeping on the street is because of ****ty laws that protect people like him.
I am sorry, but he was just protected by stupid laws and the fact that he had a huge startcapital.
2) In many countries he would be sleeping on the street. Only in a very capital orientated country as the USA he was able to stay of the streets
3) Steve jobs was a strategic "seller" not really a smart one. (and frankly a thief because lots of the ideas and even the start idea he used to get where he was , was stolen).
The way how people see some sort if idol in him, I do not get it! He was a very narcissistic person and would steal your pants when you had them still on if he could make lots of money on them (making a statement here).
He was not really a very fair person nor the best out there. He was a good seller and somehow managed to sell stuff overpriced because of idiots that liked everything apple made.
He knew how to play "the simple" people out there.
By the above I am not saying he was really stupid, but I am also not stating he was really smart.
He was a good in manipulating people and somehow knew how to play it well. But calling him a genious or brilliant mind? No, that is too much.
4) Bill Gates is a different story, he truely is a genius.

Many succesfull people have made mistakes yes!
However owning billions of dollars => usually it means you are bankrupt and living on the street for the rest of your life. Sadly due to the system in the USA rich people (nice start capital) can somehow set up all kinds of legal crappy constructions to keep their own money out of the bankrupcy!

THe weird part is: their money must come from their companies, so how come when the company is bankrupt the owner is not while all his money comes from that company?
To some extent I understand this because you want to protect the person , however it makes no sense for those very rich ones that make millions (full bankaccount) and at the same time have a company that owns thousands of people money.... and never need to pay for it.

PS. studies showed that pretty much 80-90% of the so called "rich ones" got their fortune based on either luck or heritage.

The very few that get rich on their own (and because they were smart) are rare and Trump is not one of them.....

PS2. I never said it is easy to become a billionaire.. so not sure where you get that!
(however, and here comes the confusion I think: it is "easier" to become one if you already have a ****load if money... its pretty well known this effect and simple referred to as the rich get richer... or the rich stay rich... The more money you have, the more possibilities to keep it).
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Ok so this shows clearly you do not know about certain things or you are mixing things up.

1) Trump was indeed , personally, never brankrupt. But be honest: one of his companies was billions of dollars in depth! The only reason he was not sleeping on the street is because of ****ty laws that protect people like him.
I am sorry, but he was just protected by stupid laws and the fact that he had a huge startcapital.
2) In many countries he would be sleeping on the street. Only in a very capital orientated country as the USA he was able to stay of the streets
3) Steve jobs was a strategic "seller" not really a smart one. (and frankly a thief because lots of the ideas and even the start idea he used to get where he was , was stolen).
The way how people see some sort if idol in him, I do not get it! He was a very narcissistic person and would steal your pants when you had them still on if he could make lots of money on them (making a statement here).
He was not really a very fair person nor the best out there. He was a good seller and somehow managed to sell stuff overpriced because of idiots that liked everything apple made.
He knew how to play "the simple" people out there.
By the above I am not saying he was really stupid, but I am also not stating he was really smart.
He was a good in manipulating people and somehow knew how to play it well. But calling him a genious or brilliant mind? No, that is too much.
4) Bill Gates is a different story, he truely is a genius.

Many succesfull people have made mistakes yes!
However owning billions of dollars => usually it means you are bankrupt and living on the street for the rest of your life. Sadly due to the system in the USA rich people (nice start capital) can somehow set up all kinds of legal crappy constructions to keep their own money out of the bankrupcy!

THe weird part is: their money must come from their companies, so how come when the company is bankrupt the owner is not while all his money comes from that company?
To some extent I understand this because you want to protect the person , however it makes no sense for those very rich ones that make millions (full bankaccount) and at the same time have a company that owns thousands of people money.... and never need to pay for it.

PS. studies showed that pretty much 80-90% of the so called "rich ones" got their fortune based on either luck or heritage.

The very few that get rich on their own (and because they were smart) are rare and Trump is not one of them.....

PS2. I never said it is easy to become a billionaire.. so not sure where you get that!
(however, and here comes the confusion I think: it is "easier" to become one if you already have a ****load if money... its pretty well known this effect and simple referred to as the rich get richer... or the rich stay rich... The more money you have, the more possibilities to keep it).
The laws that protect the owners with limited liability? It's called a corporation or an LLC. Anyone can start one. I encourage you to start one.

I'm not gonna argue about which rich people you think are stupid or not, it's too funny lol.

Anyways, read the art of the deal. I think it will be good for you.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
The laws that protect the owners with limited liability? It's called a corporation or an LLC. Anyone can start one. I encourage you to start one.

I'm not gonna argue about which rich people you think are stupid or not, it's too funny lol.

Anyways, read the art of the deal. I think it will be good for you.
Yes: anyone can start one, but not everyone has a certain start capital to do what he did.

Thats not the point.
Those laws are not made (or maybe they are in the USA) for people with lots of money to get away without problems.
It is not normal that people like him can have hundreds of companies , making tons of money but when one of the companies goes bad, "hands off" go for bankruptcy and thats it?

You really seem to believe that all rich people are smart, don't you?

PS. you do realize that the book he wrote was higly criticized? It actually made or makes him look even more idiotic then he nows does (without the book).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page