global warming/climate change - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

global warming/climate change

Well, this year I REALLY noticed the effects of Global Warming- Climate change. Where I live, in early May, it snowed once and I heard in the US, there was one very hot day and then the next day it snowed! Now that is so scary/freaky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 05:30 PM
Failure's Art

Yep, **** is already starting to hit the fan out on the West Coast with all the wildfires which grow in intensity every year. We're feeling pretty comfortable on the East Coast right now but give it 20 years until sea levels start to rise considerably.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
There have been lots of examples for a while now. In the UK it floods in tons of areas so many people's homes and businesses are built in areas that flood. I watched a video of a house in Scotland just collapse into the water during the last big storm earlier in the year:

and some other guy in England was talking about how it was the third time his business got flooded so he was finally going to move. But we have a high population density and it's not always practical a bit of a case of this:

and it's a lot worse for people in developing countries obviously.

Also of course the hellfire/Blade Runner apocalypse happening in the Western US right now.

One thing though people here really need to learn to tie **** down. It's always trampolines. I saw several twitter threads about different trampolines ending up on train tracks or motorways etc.

(I wouldn't be that weirded out by sudden weather changes here though, since in the UK that's normal.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 01:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
Well, this year I REALLY noticed the effects of Global Warming- Climate change. Where I live, in early May, it snowed once and I heard in the US, there was one very hot day and then the next day it snowed! Now that is so scary/freaky.

It can do that in Colorado. My mom use to have family there and it is not uncommon. I seen pictures of people skiing wearing just bathing suits. It snows one day and warms up again and vice versa.

Also, we are in low solar activity which brings less solar energy. That's why a lot of meteorologist are predicting a harsh winter here in the northern us.

I am not denying there is climate change. I seen it where I live. When I moved here 24 years ago. No one had AC units. Then over the years everyone has bought one. The summers have become more warm and humid here and have been lasting longer. When I came here it might have been like three days then it would cool back off. Now the hot times last weeks.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 11:50 PM
Socializing with myself

Language: Created my own language for context
The weather doesn't seem confused at all. The weather patterns fluctuate at specific times as if someone assigns the time to rain, snow, sunny, windy, and cloudy. Looks like intervals are happening here. Just the human thought patterns change to happy, sad, mad and depress. That joint is inconsistent.

I live in New York City and the weather fluctuate rapidly.

The weather in Florida fluctuate slowly, and the human thought patterns change once in a while. When I was living in Kissimmee Florida the weather and the people wasn't rushed down like NYC.

Signature Under Construction - Be back very soon to update knowledge!

In the meantime. I'll perfect my writing techniques.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 12:01 AM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Global warming might actually improve our weather for my time at least, the extremes seem to be happening elsewhere, it's children being born now who are really screwed.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 05:46 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
I was reading articles about why , if you somehow managed to get dinosaur DNA to bring back dinosaurs, that it wouldn't be fair on the dinosaurs.

One reason is that our modern climate Is TOO DAMNED COLD for them. They likely wouldn't survive our colder climate .

When the dinos were around, the earth was MUCH hotter than it is today.

Why won't or can't people.just have to accept that the climate of the earth is in constant natural flux, always has been in constant flux, and always will be in constant flux?

Eventually thousands of years from now, we'll be in another ice age. That IS going to happen eventually.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear.
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 06:40 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILOBRAVO View Post
I was reading articles about why , if you somehow managed to get dinosaur DNA to bring back dinosaurs, that it wouldn't be fair on the dinosaurs.

One reason is that our modern climate Is TOO DAMNED COLD for them. They likely wouldn't survive our colder climate .

Why won't or can't people.just have to accept that the climate of the earth is in constant natural flux, always has been in constant flux, and always will be in constant flux?

Eventually thousands of years from now, we'll be in another ice age. That IS going to happen eventually.
I don't think anyone is arguing the flux of weather patterns. People are just surprised at the sudden changes occurring to them; patterns of extremity that are unprecedented in their lifetimes. And not just that, these weather patterns are causing a lot of destruction. To get at the solution to this destruction, rational people begin with analysing the cause. If man-made activity is contributing to their own environment's destruction (i.e, homes, food, health), then you try to do something about it. It's not about winning an argument about geological weather patterns, it's figuring out what man-made activities we should modify to prevent more destruction.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 09:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

Yes, they evolved during relatively slowly changing climatic conditions and so were able to adapt. Unlike animals today that will experience very rapid warming. Many forests won't spread fast enough for the animals that rely on them to survive. Coral reefs, with all of the animals that rely on them are fairly static as well, so they'll die out.

Agriculture mostly exists in relatively thin strips around the world. As the world warms these areas will become too warm for our crops to grow. Increasing carbon dioxide means they will also need to use more water for photosynthesis. Some areas, including in the USA and the Middle East, are already experiencing severe water shortages. So that will also damage our agricultural industry.

Quote:

Because the Holocene - the last 10,000 years, in which our civilisation arose - has had a remarkably stable climate. We have also never had to survive the temperatures the dinosaurs experienced. Humans can't survive when temperatures get much above 50°C, but there are areas that are already experiencing such temperatures.

Increased migration due to rising temperatures and increased conflict due to lack of water aren't good things and we don't have to accept them, because we have the ability to halt this catastrophic change.

Quote:

Not if it's prevented by human caused warming.

The Milankovitch cycles, that lead to glaical periods, are currently in a cooling phase, which means global temperatures should be dropping, but they aren't. Why do you think that is?

Ice is receding in a way that it hasn't in previous inter-glacial periods, meaning we are about to exit the current Ice Age prematurely.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 09:32 PM
SAS Member

Guys, forget your fancy scientific method garbage that has been responsible for most of the world's advancements, when it comes to climate change we should really be looking primarily to the Republican party in the United States on this issue that effects literally the entire world, there's no way that they're wrong and everyone else in the world is right, it just wouldn't make sense.

Does my ignorant yet overly confident opinion bother you? Good. [insert some 'triggered libtard' meme from 2015]
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 12:45 AM
SAS Member

Quote:

The only thing we have to fight global cooling is....Gwyneth Paltrow candles....lots of them.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 07:52 AM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Doubtful
The climate is changing, it always has been changing, it always will be changing. There's nothing that can be done about it. It doesn't always change the way we want it to. It does what it wants to do.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 09:20 AM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:21 PM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead
You can't blame republicans solely for politicizing global warming, democrats are just as guilty for using it as a tool. Real solutions aren't talked about by democratic politicians they spew feel good bull**** about it and try to drum up more protests that don't do any thing other than cause more trash on the ground and carbon in the air. Nuclear power is the only viable solution, especially if we want to move to electric vehicles. Solar and wind power is a fairy tale, the production of turbine and solar panels will wind up causing just as much pollution. Plus solid waste as they have to repair and throw away those things every so many years, and vast destruction of habitat. You could cover the entire Saharra desert in solar panels and you might be able to power las vegas consistently.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:28 PM
SAS Member

How do I know if it's global warming, or just a hot year or whatever. Is this something we can even notice as individuals? The change in average temperatures and such.

لا خيرَ في كثيرٍ من نجواهُم
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 05:55 PM
alien monk

its science

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 06:47 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
Denver, Colorado. Actually, wide swings in temperature are common near the mountains, though. It can do the opposite, too - snow and then hours later be warm and dry.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 07:09 PM
alien monk

that's why you should rely on actual science rather than anecdotal evidence.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Hufflepuff

My Mood: Lurking

WTF I love fossil fuels and pollution now

Embrace tradition, return to monke
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2020, 11:21 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
This year for the first time ever, a subtropical cyclone made landfall in Portugal. Portugal! (There are two tropical systems that have made landfall in Spain that we know of as well, one in 1842 and Vince in 2005). There was also a cyclone in the Mediterranean, Ianos, that was likely tropical.

As the oceans warm, this kind of thing will become more common. We will see tropical cyclone landfalls in unusual places, and intense landfalls may become more common as well (since more oceanic heat content --> more energy for cyclones to do their thing).

Language is a virus from outer space!

--William Burroughs; Laurie Anderson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page