Girl's passport photo rejected for being too offensive - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Girl's passport photo rejected for being too offensive

By Paul Stokes
(Filed: 14/08/2006)

A five-year-old girl's passport application was rejected because her photograph showed her bare shoulders.

Hannah Edwards's mother, Jane, was told that the exposed skin might be considered offensive in a Muslim country.

The photograph was taken at a photo-booth at a local post office for a family trip to the south of France.

Because of the way the camera was set up, the picture came out showing Hannah's shoulders.

The family had it signed and presented it at a post office with the completed form but were told that it would not be accepted by the Passport Office.

A woman behind the counter informed them that she was aware of at least two other cases where applications had been rejected because a person's shoulders were not covered.

Mrs Edwards, a Sheffield GP, said: "I was incensed. I went back home and checked the form. Nowhere did it say anything about covering up shoulders. If it had, I would have done so, but it all seems so unnecessary.

"This is quite ridiculous, I followed the instructions on the passport form to the letter and it was still rejected. It is just officialdom pandering to political correctness.

"It is a total over-reaction. How can the shoulders of a five-year-old girl offend anyone? It's not as if anything else was showing, the dress she wore was sleeveless, but it has a high neck."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... port14.xml

(only a portion of the article; every official they quoted is scrambling to distance themselves from it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

The offending photo
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:17 PM
SAS Member

I agree with the rules. A passport is a formal document, you can't mock its importance. It's not a "season pass" that you can take wearing whatever you want, or making funny faces, and such.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:23 PM
SAS Member

In America, yes its an overeation. In America, yes it seems silly. In America, people wouldnt think twice about it. However, I am with Microanian on this one: Its a formal document. It shouldn't have such a casual pic. Whether or not we like the ideals of the Muslim world, we should respect their customs as much as we would like them to respect ours. Just because in America its not big deal doesnt necessarily make it "right." A formal pic would solve the problem overall.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo

The offending photo
People today. No respect for nuttin'

" "
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:47 PM

It would be a good idea if the passport office issued guidelines on what is appropriate to wear in the photo, even if its something as simple as "dress formally". I can understand the mother's frustration about only learning of the rule after she had followed all the instructions.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:52 PM
SAS Member

Well, I guess I know now not to show any skin in my passport photo, not that I've ever worn a tank top before, let alone gone shirtless for more than an hour. I have to go get my passport photos taken, though. I can imagine getting my passport is going to be frustrating, even if I have all of the documentation I need. I'm sure I'll be missing something that will take me two months to get and that will delay my leaving NJ.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
SAS Member

Re: Girl's passport photo rejected for being too offensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo
"This is quite ridiculous, I followed the instructions on the passport form to the letter and it was still rejected. It is just officialdom pandering to political correctness.

"It is a total over-reaction. How can the shoulders of a five-year-old girl offend anyone? It's not as if anything else was showing, the dress she wore was sleeveless, but it has a high neck."
Want to talk about over-reaction? geez

is here

My personal Blog!!! http://lostinthevalley.wordpress.com/
updated November 14th, 2010
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:22 PM

she is a child. she is not a sexual being.

it is a perversion of islam to require children to be covered. and a BS/PC excuse.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Permanently Banned

I agree with the rules, but I think it's silly that anyone could be offended by that.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Permanently Banned

Re: Girl's passport photo rejected for being too offensive

This is just plain stupid. A 5-year-old with exposed shoulders is provocative? To who? Michael Jackson perhaps (if the child in question were a boy).
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 04:59 AM
Permanently Banned

If a Muslim country doesn't like the photo, then they should go **** themselves...Since when does everyones' rights and laws depend upon what is permissible in a Muslim country?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterDave
Since when does everyones' rights and laws depend upon what is permissible in a Muslim country?
I agree. The United States should not require its citizens to conform to the expectations and social mores of some of the most repressive countries on earth.

Also, she looks so cute. Her eyes are huge.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Sassy

Quote:
If a Muslim country doesn't like the photo, then they should go @#%$ themselves...Since when does everyones' rights and laws depend upon what is permissible in a Muslim country?
Hear, hear!

I find it quite silly. Who's going to see her passport besides her family and some security people at the airport?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
SAS Member

So what are we to say then? That the entire WORLD should conform to American Standards? That other countries arent allowed to have their own customs and ideas? Personally, I think the girl looks cute and I see nothing wrong with the photo. But, if you are traveling to a Muslim country, you have to respect their customs, same as if you travel to America you have to respect American Customs. If you do not plan to visit any Muslim country then there is no problem.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Permanently Banned

It's simple, they start rejecting American passports, then we start rejecting Muslim countries' passports....Deterrence... We are the most powerful country in the world, the only Hyperpower...We do not accommodate other countries, they accommodate us....
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 05:35 PM
SAS Member

gee, I didn't know this was a national issue, threating the order of the free world as we know it.

I thought it was just some woman's lack of common sense.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
It's simple, they start rejecting American passports, then we start rejecting Muslim countries' passports....Deterrence... We are the most powerful country in the world, the only Hyperpower...We do not accommodate other countries, they accommodate us....
Hmmm not sure I am in agreement with that last statement there, Dave. "We do not accommodate other countries, they accommodate us." I would like to think that America is part of the world, not THE world. I would like to think that other countries, other people, and other cultures can coexist on some level. I am personally not fond of Iraq; that is why you wouldnt find me visiting there (which Kurdistan is trying to promote http://www.theotheriraq.com/ ). I am personally not a Muslim. I do not agree with lots of their customs, traditions, or ideas. Therefore, I choose NOT to visit their countries. But if its a custom to have your head covered or not showing a lot of skin, why is that so wrong? Because we dont adhere to that custom?

If I am a VISITOR to another country, I will respect their customs and traditions rather than come in all gung ho and say YOU MUST DO IT MY WAY. Just because you dont like or agree with something doesnt mean its wrong.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
ummm, who do you think is going to these "Muslim countries"?? Sightseeing tourists?
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny68
Quote:

If I am a VISITOR to another country, I will respect their customs and traditions rather than come in all gung ho and say YOU MUST DO IT MY WAY. Just because you dont like or agree with something doesnt mean its wrong.
i agree with penny that if you visit other countries then you should adhere to local customs HOWEVER, i do not agree that this should extend to imagery in passport photos. so when it comes to passports, i agree with dave.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page