Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Society & Culture (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f32/)
-   -   Feral cats (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f32/feral-cats-2223313/)

sabbath9 05-09-2019 03:55 AM

Feral cats

Australia has a plan to kill two million feral cats by air-dropping poisoned sausages.

Feral cats kill birds and other native wildlife.

I feed a feral cat that used to hang out at my neighbors, when they moved away I kinda adopted it. It doesn't let me pet him much or get close to him, but it sure loves feeding time.

New Zealand also has a problem with feral cats.

It may be cruel but I think I agree with the culling of feral cats.

3stacks 05-09-2019 04:00 AM

It's raining sausages should've been the name for it's raining men lol. But yeah that's kinda sad.

Persephone The Dread 05-09-2019 10:33 AM

I don't know logically if you agree with it, then you also have to agree with the culling of Humans (Humans cause tons of destruction, and are also getting in each others way all the time.) But I do lots of stuff I disagree with.

WillYouStopDave 05-09-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread (Post 1093711897)
I don't know logically if you agree with it, then you also have to agree with the culling of Humans (Humans cause tons of destruction, and are also getting in each others way all the time.) But I do lots of stuff I disagree with.

:lol

Well, this thread just got better. :lol

TheForestWasDark 05-09-2019 10:58 AM

that is sad and remind me of farmers who kill the rampant offspring of cattle dogs.. remind me to only buy sterilized water at the grocery store from now on.. (jk im willing ti take 1 for the team)

blue2 05-09-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

then you also have to agree with the culling of Humans (Humans cause tons of destruction, and are also getting in each others way all the time.) But I do lots of stuff I disagree with.

..... Yes.. but that's the good kind of destruction & we're supposed to like it :lol ...maybe some hungry humans will eat the sausage too :yes

Persephone The Dread 05-09-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2 (Post 1093711955)
..... Yes.. but that's the good kind of destruction & we're supposed to like it :lol ...maybe some hungry humans will eat the sausage too :yes

I only enjoy the destruction and/or intermittent reversal of hegemony. So basically chaos.

If you kill people with sausages, then you can't **** with them which is kind of boring. Which probably explains why God's kill count is way higher than Satan's you know.

slyfox 05-11-2019 10:08 PM

Seems risky as far as killing a ton of non targeted species. Doesn't seem smart at all, unless if is better targeted than I'm thinking. Aside from that I agree with it, because there are just too many and they greatly damage wildlife.

komorikun 05-11-2019 10:39 PM

Lots of pet dogs will eat those sausages too.

But yeah, they always talk about animals transplanted from other areas as "invasive species" but humans are the worst invasive species of them all. Like humans will move out to the boonies/countryside and then complain about animals eating their garden or moving into their attic. What a joke.

I mean look at Chernobyl. Wildlife is flourishing there even with all the radiation.

A Toxic Butterfly 05-11-2019 10:56 PM

"feral cats kill wildlife" *poisoned sausages are consumed by all the wildlife in the area* well.......

:lol I've seen birds eat meat, they'll pick it up too. Raccoons, whatever else around scrounging for something to eat. People walking their dogs, or if it ends up in yards, pets will be consuming them too. It seems like a really stupid plan. Humans aren't fixing their pets, so let's just poison them if they refuse ;)

I'm joking. I don't condone killing of anyone. (but again it does seem to point back to us) :stu

andy1984 05-11-2019 11:03 PM

just let nature sort it out. those native animals are too dopey to live.

but really it's just some people's aesthetic preference. they don't care about the cats or the natives. they want to impose their will on the world. go for it I guess. but the vegan side of me wants to kill them in return. lol. I've got a poison sausage for them.

roxslide 05-12-2019 12:50 AM

I'm biased, but I can't be ok with that.

But I also have to recognize that I have supported other efforts to eradicate invasive species. Like lionfish and bullfrogs. In fact I was happy when I read about this a while ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pop...hunting-robot/

But... poisoned sausages. Killing cats or not that just seems like a stupid idea with dire side effects.

I just feel like they should do everything in their power to devise a solution that does not kill those cats. But I know if it were any other animal I'd probably understand.

Like, I don't hear anybody talking about this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay.n...ee-animals-spd

Suchness 05-12-2019 01:12 AM

Poisoned sausages is such an Australian thing to do, lol.

WillYouStopDave 05-12-2019 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Toxic Butterfly (Post 1093714641)
"feral cats kill wildlife" *poisoned sausages are consumed by all the wildlife in the area* well.......

:lol I've seen birds eat meat, they'll pick it up too. Raccoons, whatever else around scrounging for something to eat. People walking their dogs, or if it ends up in yards, pets will be consuming them too. It seems like a really stupid plan. Humans aren't fixing their pets, so let's just poison them if they refuse ;)

I'm joking. I don't condone killing of anyone. (but again it does seem to point back to us) :stu

Yeah there are lots of wild animals that will eat just about anything they find that's edible. Doesn't sound like a smart plan.

Silent Memory 05-19-2019 05:24 PM

I havenít heard about this, but if itís true, itís sad. The problem with feral cats wouldnít be so bad if people kept them in their homes as indoors cats, where theyíre safer. Other animals could eat the poisoned sausages, especially lost dogs.

exceptionalfool 05-19-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

This.

millenniumman75 05-19-2019 11:07 PM

I am surprised that no one mentioned Feline AIDS. It's the #1 killer of domestic cats.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/73/7393...4d5b91f35e.jpg

Persephone The Dread 05-19-2019 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenniumman75 (Post 1093721457)
I am surprised that no one mentioned Feline AIDS. It's the #1 killer of domestic cats.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/73/7393...4d5b91f35e.jpg

millenniumman75 05-20-2019 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread (Post 1093721475)

[emoji38]. That would worry me, too.

CaptainBoz 05-20-2019 07:30 AM

I remember many years ago, my late uncle was telling me that he received a donation letter from one of the several humane societies here in the US. They were asking for some amount, $15 or $25 dollars which would be used in catching a feral cat, sterilizing it, and then releasing it. He said the wrote back to them offering to send them $1 which would take care of 50 cats if they would use it to buy a box of 50 .22 bullets (that was the price at the time) which they could use to shoot each in the head after they went to the trouble of trapping them.

He was a farmer, so he was no stranger to getting rid of pest animals around the farm.

Still, spreading poisoned bait sounds like a bad idea. Too much potential for an unintended outcome. They should just trap them and kill them.