extinction rebellion london tube - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
nothing fills the void

Language: rambling

extinction rebellion london tube

surprised no one is talking about this?

extinction rebellion protesters climb onto roof of london tube. to prevent commuters going to work.

thoughts?

I like donuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
nothing fills the void

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50079716

Quote:
Commuters have dragged climate change protesters from the roof of a London Underground train.

Extinction Rebellion activists climbed on to trains at Stratford, Canning Town and Shadwell in Thursday's rush hour. Eight protesters have been arrested, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

The Jubilee Line and Docklands Light Railway were temporarily suspended.

Extinction Rebellion later said it would "take stock" of the reaction to the latest action for future protests.

Spokesman Howard Rees said: "Was it the right thing to do? I am not sure.

"I think we will have to have a period of reflection. It is too early to say."

Extinction Rebellion previously said the disruption was "necessary to highlight the emergency".

Hayden Green, a commuter at Canning Town, said he saw the protester "dragged to the floor and kicked repeatedly".

"Police have struggled to deal with the protest in London so the public stepped in and in the heat of the moment it was taken too far," he told the BBC.

"I support their cause but I think how the protests have been carried out has led to more divisions."

In footage shared on social media, a passenger waiting for a train is seen climbing on the carriage to get to one of the protesters.

The activist is grabbed by the knees and dragged down, falling to the platform where he appears to then be kicked and hit by angry commuters on the platform.

Others can be heard shouting and swearing at the protesters.

One shouts: "I have to get to work too - I have to feed my kids."

A second protester was chased along the top of the train carriage by a commuter before being dragged off.

A third Extinction Rebellion activist, who was broadcasting the protest on the group's social media accounts, said he was also attacked and "kicked in the head".

BTP said it was investigating what happened at Canning Town station, adding it was "concerning to see that a number of commuters took matters into their own hands, displaying violent behaviour to detain a protester".

It has appealed for anyone with information, pictures or mobile phone footage of any of the incidents to upload them to its website.

Assistant Chief Constable Sean O'Callaghan said: "It is important that commuters and other rail users allow the police, who are specially trained, to manage these incidents.

"Unfortunately, there is still a risk that Extinction Rebellion will target the rail network during this evening's peak. We will continue to have extra officers on patrol and will work to disrupt any potential criminal action before it happens."

I like donuts
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:46 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
The way everyone in London moves about like ants as part of a hive and nobody stands out or stops acting like automatons walking at a set speed, makes this very entertaining for me, though if you have to get somewhere very annoying.

I don't know much about this movement except that it's a youth movement. This pretty much sums up my generation:

https://hotelconcierge.tumblr.com/po...adult-fictions

Quote:
Unfortunately, the ability to parrot accepted opinions is often taken for the ability to derive judgments of one’s own. I’m thinking of a homestuck 13 year old who is constantly told that he/she is “so mature” for getting straight A’s and being well-spoken with the dinner guests and not ditching class to smoke brick weed with Devin. Whether or not those behaviors are good, the kid isn’t mature, he or she is well-trained, and if you keep claiming maturity then you are going to stunt development. Sorry: not having an adolescent rebellion means you didn’t complete adolescence. The result is neotenous adults who are not overly sensitive—as conservative media would claim—but rather overly dependent on external rules. Cards Against Humanity is so funny, right? You get to say bad words, but it’s only a game.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 04:47 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
nothing fills the void

tbh I get the impression a lot of extinction rebellion are people who are out of touch with working class people. there are a lot of people that think they are more in touch with them because they are going against the grain of their comfortable upbringing, but for a lot of people its just a badge of honour and more of an egotistical thing. you get a lot of extremists that use violence or non peaceful protests as a way to justify their inherent violent natures. not saying that most go about this way of doing things or are motivated in such a way, but its often the ones who do these sorts of acts of drawing attention to themselves that seem more egocentric. this is really an own goal for their movement, ok so I understand that rebellion needs to be radical for it to cause change, but you've got to win over the general public if you want a mass shift in consciousness and for there to be an actual uprising. this just makes me think they are all a bunch of disorganised self important out of touch idiots that have no idea what they are doing.... targeting capitalist structures and buildings with little to no affect on the people you are trying to win support from, but more that it affects those minorities in power would be a lot better imo.

I like donuts
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:03 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Big cities like London are crazy I heard alot of the worker ants there are high on cocaine most of the time so they can go faster & be more agressive/productive, rat race on coke is indeed a runaway freight train.

The protestors are probably smoking marijuana, I think there needs to be some sort of drug exchange programme happening & everything might balance out.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:10 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Big cities like London are crazy I heard alot of the worker ants there are high on cocaine most of the time so they can go faster & be more agressive/productive, rat race on coke is indeed a runaway freight train.

The protestors are probably smoking marijuana, I think there needs to be some sort of drug exchange programme happening & everything might balance out.
See you get it.

https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-...y-day-11830741

This song is actually about him leaving London because he hated how competitive and stressful the economy is (specifically the music industry but it's not just the music industry):

This is like the more realistic video because I think the above one was meant to be more abstract and less related (also different version of the song)

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
nothing fills the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
The kicking of the protester reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3_dJArFV8
I think violence against each of the protestors is wrong. I think these came about in different ways though, in that example its religion associated with their ego, someone attacks religion they feel they have been attacked personally. associating ideology with identity. in the train example, people are probably not so much ideologically motivated but more that they are just tired ,already pissed that they have to use an overcrowded sardine tin which is always subject to disruptions and they work in a job they probably hate and now you've got the icing on the cake with someone making their lives even worse by jumping around on the roof of the train. not excusing either. it's ****.

i've just noticed the thumbnail for the video looks like jason statham being pulling off a train roof.

I like donuts
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:26 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployment simulator View Post
I think violence against each of the protestors is wrong. I think these came about in different ways though, in that example its religion associated with their ego, someone attacks religion they feel they have been attacked personally. associating ideology with identity. in the train example, people are probably not so much ideologically motivated but more that they are just tired ,already pissed that they have to use an overcrowded sardine tin which is always subject to disruptions and they work in a job they probably hate and now you've got the icing on the cake with someone making their lives even worse by jumping around on the roof of the train. not excusing either. it's ****.

i've just noticed the thumbnail for the video looks like jason statham being pulling off a train roof.
lol it does look like him.

It's different but in some ways similar. Like you submit to a force greater than you that gives you no freedom (God, capitalist society,) then someone comes along and strips away that last piece of control (control of women/their own sexuality, control of movement.) Very frustrating. But that's not why I linked it, it was more just the fact that people often resort to knocking someone down and then kicking them repeatedly when they do something that pisses them off.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
nothing fills the void

Quote:
It's different but in some ways similar. Like you submit to a force greater than you that gives you no freedom (God, capitalist society,) then someone comes along and strips away that last piece of control (control of women/their own sexuality, control of movement.) Very frustrating.
that's a good way of looking at it and also makes logical sense.

I like donuts
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:07 AM
Socializing with myself

Language: English
Desperate thoughts of curiosity, seeking awareness from similar people to rage one location.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

NSA Software Engineers computionally remapping buildings, jobs, relationships, wealth, education, and income using bio intelligence system to manage citizens time & events in their own environment.

The real creator gave the programmers restricted technologies.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:40 AM
SAS Member

why would environmentally conscious activists try to disrupt MASS TRANSIT, which is powered electrically??

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:52 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
lol it does look like him.

It's different but in some ways similar. Like you submit to a force greater than you that gives you no freedom (God, capitalist society,) then someone comes along and strips away that last piece of control (control of women/their own sexuality, control of movement.) Very frustrating.
were those women even muslim? it makes a lot less sense if they weren't.

It would be like a stranger coming over to your house, or family reunion, and telling you how bad your family is. It's just asking for trouble. Though I don't think the women deserve to get kicked about, they should have known something was going to happen to them. If I see any similarity in these two events, is that the protesters are picking the wrong fights.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:55 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
were those women even muslim? it makes a lot less sense if they weren't.

It would be like a stranger coming over to your house, or family reunion, and telling you how bad your family is. It's just asking for trouble. Though I don't think the women deserve to get kicked about, they should have known something was going to happen to them. If I see any similarity in these two events, is that the protesters are picking the wrong fights.
No they definitely weren't Muslims but those women have my full support none the less and it certainly raised a lot of attention, I'm sure they were aware of the risks going in considering the deeply sexist beliefs of conservative Islam. The environmental protesters.. I'm not sure what they're hoping to get out of it in terms of results but still as I said it's entertaining to me contextually. I'd probably round it off to a form of performance art.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployment simulator View Post
surprised no one is talking about this?

extinction rebellion protesters climb onto roof of london tube. to prevent commuters going to work.

thoughts?

WTF did I just watch?

/WYSD
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
why would environmentally conscious activists try to disrupt MASS TRANSIT, which is powered electrically??
Because those people are going to make money, that they're gonna spend on flights, meat, fossil fuels, procreation, products & services delivered by diesel vehicles, all aspects of daily life adds to the environmental crisis, the question is what do the protestors want people to do otherwise, walk of a cliff like a bunch of lemmings ?

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
nothing fills the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post

WTF did I just watch?
a trailer for crank 3, this time it's even more low budget.

I like donuts
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
nothing fills the void

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Because those people are going to make money, that they're gonna spend on flights, meat, fossil fuels, procreation, products & services delivered by diesel vehicles, all aspects of daily life adds to the environmental crisis, the question is what do the protestors want people to do otherwise, walk of a cliff like a bunch of lemmings ?
i've been looking around for some type of official statement on why they targeted the things they did and what the motivations were. but so far only coming up with confused points about "whole lifestyle changes". I think xr really just need to organise themselves better, formulate a strategy, try and come up with an actual political perspective and present a REAL alternative.

I like donuts
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead
As I said in the thread about Greta Thunberg in the most sarcastic of tones, "convince people the world is going to end in a few years, nothing bad ever happened because of this."

Extinction rebellion is a cult. Cults don't attract rational people.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:02 PM
deceased

Extinction Rebellion is no cult, but some of their recent activities leave a lot to be desired. Alienating the working class is not gonna help them make further progress in their aim, no matter how noble they think it is. But **** them macho vacuum-brained idiots assualting them like that. Also bizarre that Islam and Muslims are even being mentioned in this thread. Classic SAS

'The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down!' - Alan Partridge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page