Do you hate-follow people or hate-watch channels? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
customusertitle

Do you hate-follow people or hate-watch channels?

as in someone gets on your nerves but you always want to know what they're up to on FB or twitter or whatever, or maybe youtube channels you disagree with its creators but watch anyway?

If so, how do you explain it psychologically? .__.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 10:54 AM
😒🤡

Nope, not me. It's a waste of time when I can just use my time to watch channels I enjoy. that way I can enjoy my day as much as possible and do other things I like doing.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
The only place I'd even be capable of doing that is on youtube, as I hate-avoid Twitter and all that other social media garbage. I have never had a single account on any of them. I guess it's more accurate to say I ignore them completely. I don't know enough about them to hate them. It all just seems pretty toxic to me so I wan't nothing to do with it. On Youtube, I mostly just surf random stuff that interests me and spikes my curiosity and watch a select few personalities I find interesting. There are several who are kinda boring (AKA - They do pretty much the same stuff all the time) but I watch them anyway because they're colorful in a way that is entertaining.

If I don't like what I see, I don't watch again.

/WYSD

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 06:12 PM
SAS Member

No although with NEWS it's a little different maybe. Even there lately I started setting not to get notifications from x source anymore because most mainstream NEWS isn't even NEWS anymore but opinion pieces. Individual media uploaders though, no, never personally.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 01:24 AM
Loathed Loiterer

Watching and following certain people on youtube, podcasts or social media has never really been my thing. Why whenever people talk about their favorite youtubers or podcasters, I am always out of the loop.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 02:01 AM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Not regularly on YouTube if I really dislike them (wouldn't really use the word hate either.) On occasion I'll watch a few videos by someone I dislike, but usually after I determine they're really annoying I'll avoid them for a long while but will hear about them from other YouTubers or other people typically while not watching their videos. I often read/watch stuff that I don't agree with though even if it doesn't annoy me, some of it can be interesting.

The only exception on YouTube was a more complicated case where I'd previously liked them but it wasn't like I hated them either.

With other people it's more like I look them up a couple of times a year or something while remembering them. More typically I stumble on stuff I find annoying from random people and then investigate that person more, or look up certain topics that bother me. It's easy to stumble on stuff you find annoying on social media without trying though, because it's designed that way.

I think there are several different motivations depending on the specifics. Obviously there's the parasocial aspect for one, anger makes people feel better temporarily (an adrenaline rush,) psychological self-harm, or just curiosity about people very different to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 02:24 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
I don't "hate watch" anyone. I do watch videos/read things made by people who hate people like me, but only because I'm trying to understand their perspective.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 03:07 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
Not really, although I do occasionally browse sections of this forum that I have no business in just to scoff at it. Also a year or two ago I looked up the online profile of one of the guys who used to bully me regularly in middle school, and found out that he's now an outspoken misogynist and proponent of toxic masculinity with some kind of connection to a certain hate group that purportedly wants to murder people like me -- which didn't surprise me in the least. People never do change...

Psychologically I think it's got to do with the fact that the opposite of love isn't hate but apathy -- in other words, hate is a strong emotion. If you hate something then you can't help but care deeply about it, albeit in a negative way, and thus you'll be predisposed to keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't come back to bite you or affect you somehow. "Know your enemy" right? Something like that.

"Sin" is an imaginary disease invented to sell you an imaginary cure.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 02:14 PM
SAS Member

Not even a little. I remember back when I was in my late teens or early 20s it was super-cool to rip on the Twilight series of books/movies, and I had friends who would read the books or watch the movies just to mock them and complain about how bad they were. I never got the point of that.
Granted, I am a big fan of the show MST3k, which is basically all about ripping on bad movies, but that always had a different vibe to it, for me. It was more lighthearted and fun. And it wasn't like any of the movies they made fun of had a real fanbase or anything, because they were mostly crappy black-and-white films from 1950s Japan or whatever. My friends who used to rip on the Twilight movies did so with a real venom to it, up to and including mocking the fans for being stupid for liking it. That was never my cup of tea.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 03:28 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
Sometimes I try to challenge myself by reading philosophers I know I'll strongly disagree with, I guess that's a potentially constructive kind of hate-reading but it usually just means I'll be arguing with them in my head while I'm the shower and think myself to exhaustion.

I'll check up on people I've unfollowed on other sites and get reminded why I did after a few minutes, other times I'll look up someone like Ernest Cline or Rupi Kaur to help me feel better about my own attempts at poetry, thankfully I don't spend more than a few minutes doing those things tho and I put more effort into engaging with things I consider worthwhile.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 01:49 PM
Permanently An Idiot

My Mood: Lurking
I don't follow but I've been checking Trump's Twitter the past few weeks. I think it's a sort of self-sabotage method, proving to myself that people really are awful. Even non-Trump supporters on his Twitter can't help but be petty. And I understand it but... really, if you want to showcase the worst of humanity on all sides, that's the place to go.

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 01:10 AM
Guide - Politics Section

Language: English, Czech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barakiel View Post
Sometimes I try to challenge myself by reading philosophers I know I'll strongly disagree with, I guess that's a potentially constructive kind of hate-reading but it usually just means I'll be arguing with them in my head while I'm the shower and think myself to exhaustion.

I'll check up on people I've unfollowed on other sites and get reminded why I did after a few minutes, other times I'll look up someone like Ernest Cline or Rupi Kaur to help me feel better about my own attempts at poetry, thankfully I don't spend more than a few minutes doing those things tho and I put more effort into engaging with things I consider worthwhile.
Which philosophers, out of interest?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 07:37 PM
late bloomer

Language: Tagalog, English
i'm guilty
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 07:39 PM
SAS Member

Nope. If I don't enjoy the content it feels like a waste of my time.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 08:30 PM
SAS Member

Nope

I do the opposite. I block everything I don't like. Kinda wish YouTube had a blacklist feature in addition to it's current feature-set to not show certain channels.

The more obsessed I get with something I dislike, I have a tendency to get very brooding which is bad. Very bad. To avoid that, I just block it. What you don't know won't bother you.

Though I have always made it my practice to be pleasant to everybody, I have not once actually experienced friendship. I have only the most painful recollections of my various acquaintances ..."
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 09:48 PM
SAS Member

I usually have far right-wing content/personalities on my radar to one degree or another, mostly to remain informed on their bulls**t, I guess that's a form of hate-watching. There are journalists and different groups that report on far right-wing activity for a living so that makes it easier, not a job I'd want.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 07:19 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: French/English
No. I did look in the past, but it has no positive use. I don't crave it, it seems.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 12:55 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
I often keep track of far-right movements, and being able to understand how their politics developed and what kind of talking points they're circling this month is incredibly important in countering them.

"have I not reason to hate and to despise myself? Indeed I do; and chiefly for not having hated and despised the world enough."
~William Hazlitt

"There have been times when only a hair's-breadth has intervened betwixt myself and the seething devil-ridden world of madness; for the hideous knowledge, the horror- blackened memories which I have carried so long, were never meant to be borne by the human intellect."
~Clark Ashton Smith
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 12:08 PM
insert witty comment here

I don't hate watch anyone. But it's a thing on YouTube. It's basically mass bullying.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2021, 12:54 AM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page