2023 0 0%
2024 0 0%
2025 or later 1 3.03%
Never 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語

Coronavirus vaccine- when will we have one?

As in when will a vaccine be available to the general public at large. Even if you know nothing about science, place your bets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:23 PM
Failure's Art

You were right, this is a good idea for a thread. But you didn't even vote in your own damn poll yet!!1 : O

I'm gonna say 2021. Honestly if there isn't a vaccine in 2021 I don't know that I even want to be around for 2022 or later. Would be too miserable. Wow, feels weird to type 2022.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:29 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Angelic
They'll be a vaccine next year but it will be 2022 before there's enough for everyone & most people still alive will have antibodies by then anyway, might take even longer in some countries I believe.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:35 PM
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
They'll be a vaccine next year but it will be 2022 before there's enough for everyone & most people still alive will have antibodies by then anyway, might take even longer in some countries I believe.

Antibodies are only effective for like 2-3 months then you can get reinfected....

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
Antibodies are only effective for like 2-3 months then you can get reinfected...
Yeah I heard that, can the same thing happen the vaccine though I wonder ?

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 01:42 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Earliest is autumn but I think it will probably be next year. How successful it will be will be the question but they're definitely going to try something they're already testing a few now. Because people are going crazy they're going to try stuff like this in an attempt to calm people down.

They will probably make people get a vaccine for it seasonally if they can find one that works for a few-several months.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:05 PM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

My Mood: Lurking
There's no guarantee about there ever being a vaccine. I know that's what all the 'somebody else can take care of it for me' people are counting on. Granted, I don't follow the news on this crap very closely, but I haven't heard anything that says there is any real progress being made.

Think of all the stuff that has been around for decades or centuries that there is still no vaccine for.

I think a more viable solution is for people to just stay away from ALL other people for a few months and wait until the virus kind of ceases to exist. (As if that could ever happen).

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I couldn't vote because there isn't an option for "I don't know"
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:16 PM
Permanently Banned

I voted never.

We don't have a vaccine for the common cold and it could be that we will never in the 2020's come up with a vaccine for covid-19.

Eventually science might help, but the way that science is treated these days, why should it?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:43 PM
drifting in mist

I'm optimistic because the whole world will be focusing their resources towards this. The impacts have been large enough that I imagine there shouldn't be a struggle for money and manpower. Although the downside is that other diseases will probably have funding taken away from them. Hoping next year.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:44 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
I was going to vote 2022 ( ) but I don't want to jinx things. -_- We never even finished trying to come up with a vaccine for the original SARS!

EDIT: And given the news about Gilead and remdesivir, chances are high most people won't easily afford the potential vaccine...and a lot of people would refuse to get vaccinated anyway.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 02:58 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by firelight View Post
I'm optimistic because the whole world will be focusing their resources towards this.
Well...you would think that the whole world would be doing that. But then again, you would think the whole world would have been focussing it's resources on other things to make this whole thing less of a disaster than it has been and it just has not happened. It has happened in some places but not others. Some people refuse to work together.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:03 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Based on what the news source has said, anywhere from 18 - 24 months, which the earliest if we are to go by that time frame is 2021. But who knows. There's even a plague going around in some mammals and one teenager who had eaten one died recently. We might not make it by then anyway.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:33 PM
drifting in mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Well...you would think that the whole world would be doing that. But then again, you would think the whole world would have been focussing it's resources on other things to make this whole thing less of a disaster than it has been and it just has not happened. It has happened in some places but not others. Some people refuse to work together.
Yeah there's been a lot of incompetence. I just think it's so strongly in everyone's self interest that overall the motivation will be strong. If it were only people dying maybe not, but economies dying should be enough to motivate the even the rich and the powerful.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:15 PM
Temporarily Banned

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by firelight View Post
I'm optimistic because the whole world will be focusing their resources towards this. The impacts have been large enough that I imagine there shouldn't be a struggle for money and manpower. Although the downside is that other diseases will probably have funding taken away from them. Hoping next year.
It's very politicised:

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:58 PM
drifting in mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Well that is depressing.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 PM
Sas user

i was thinking end of 2020 there should be a viable vaccine. maybe mid 2021 before its mass produced for the general population.

Maybe 2023 before the vaccine is easily created to fight various mutations like for the flu. completely guessing tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 10:49 PM
Pesky Pessimist

2021 or 2022. Although I can't imagine any of them working well.

If they develop one, bigger question is, how effective would the best working one(s) even be? Humans not being able to develop anything aside from very short term antibodies to the coronavirus, makes a working vaccine prospect to be very bleak.

Innovations of antiviral and post-infection treatments however, it seems like they are making good progress on. So maybe that will end up being the focus more than the vaccine itself.

I think it's highly probable that before we ever develop an efficient vaccine, the virus would've dissipated to non-pandemic levels, or it would have mutated to the point of being way less deadly, leading to the demand for the vaccine to wane and they will just abandon on its development.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 02:59 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
2021 or 2022. Although I can't imagine any of them working well.

If they develop one, bigger question is, how effective would the best working one(s) even be? Humans not being able to develop anything aside from very short term antibodies to the coronavirus, makes a working vaccine prospect to be very bleak.

Innovations of antiviral and post-infection treatments however, it seems like they are making good progress on. So maybe that will end up being the focus more than the vaccine itself.

I think it's highly probable that before we ever develop an efficient vaccine, the virus would've dissipated to non-pandemic levels, or it would have mutated to the point of being way less deadly, leading to the demand for the vaccine to wane and they will just abandon on its development.
I think you're probably right. I also think you're quite a lot smarter than I am so I'll just go with what you said.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 12:26 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I think you're probably right. I also think you're quite a lot smarter than I am so I'll just go with what you said.

Don't insult yourself like that. Me is just am moron.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page