Coronavirus discussion - Page 178 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #3541 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 02:42 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Anyone wish to offer their opinion on the upcoming Pfizer and Moderna vaccines...? The medical professionals are saying they're going to be great, we don't know for sure yet how long the immunity will last but at least it's something, and despite how much more quickly than usual the process has gone, they should be relatively safe. It'll take a while longer and the worst of the pandemic is likely still ahead of us (especially given the numbers of people ignoring CDC guidance and crowding airports at the minute, getting ready to travel for Thanksgiving--and the same thing almost sure to happen at Christmas) but "The cavalry is coming," Dr. Fauci says.

As much as I trust Dr. Fauci...I can't help but feel really skeptical about this one. Not really because of any perceived danger in the vaccines (the experts mostly seem to agree that by the time these are (hopefully) approved, it will have been enough time, based on past vaccine developments, to determine them to be safe)...but more because:

1. it just didn't seem like a long enough amount of time passed to determine efficacy, I think they gave it a week?--with how long this virus takes to incubate AND display symptoms, this just seems iffy;

2. I'm not sure how they accounted for test subjects' odds of getting infected in the first place--for example, are these people going out without masks or other protective measures, deliberately TRYING to get infected?--if they're being safe or at least going about their normal lives, how can you tell if it was the vaccine or just a lack of exposure to the virus that accounts for them not getting infected?; and

3. this year has just sucked SO much, with almost NO good news to be had, and so many previous "miracle" treatments for this virus fizzled out soon enough...I just can't help but suspect we're all getting our hopes up way too soon.

I really hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to keep up that hope. Maybe I just don't understand the process well enough.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 03:08 PM
Locked and Loaded

My Mood: Doh
@tehuti88 I'm a bit skeptical of the vaccines myself, not because I am against them but because they are rolling these out so quickly in just a years time, normally these things take years of study to make sure they are safe. My main concern is what the side affects are and if there will be any 5,10 or more years down the road.
post #3543 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 04:03 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Anyone wish to offer their opinion on the upcoming Pfizer and Moderna vaccines...? The medical professionals are saying they're going to be great, we don't know for sure yet how long the immunity will last but at least it's something, and despite how much more quickly than usual the process has gone, they should be relatively safe. It'll take a while longer and the worst of the pandemic is likely still ahead of us (especially given the numbers of people ignoring CDC guidance and crowding airports at the minute, getting ready to travel for Thanksgiving--and the same thing almost sure to happen at Christmas) but "The cavalry is coming," Dr. Fauci says.

As much as I trust Dr. Fauci...I can't help but feel really skeptical about this one. Not really because of any perceived danger in the vaccines (the experts mostly seem to agree that by the time these are (hopefully) approved, it will have been enough time, based on past vaccine developments, to determine them to be safe)...but more because:

1. it just didn't seem like a long enough amount of time passed to determine efficacy, I think they gave it a week?--with how long this virus takes to incubate AND display symptoms, this just seems iffy;

2. I'm not sure how they accounted for test subjects' odds of getting infected in the first place--for example, are these people going out without masks or other protective measures, deliberately TRYING to get infected?--if they're being safe or at least going about their normal lives, how can you tell if it was the vaccine or just a lack of exposure to the virus that accounts for them not getting infected?; and

3. this year has just sucked SO much, with almost NO good news to be had, and so many previous "miracle" treatments for this virus fizzled out soon enough...I just can't help but suspect we're all getting our hopes up way too soon.

I really hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to keep up that hope. Maybe I just don't understand the process well enough.
This little podcast talks a bit about vaccines - Norman Swan does a regular thing about the Coronavirus on the ABC here. (sort of like the Uk's BBC)

It's quite good but a bit confusing. (to me anyway)

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...right/12873434

Edit: I think this was broadcast before the vaccines' effectiveness rate was announced.

post #3544 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 04:16 PM
bipolar

I listened to it a few times and I think I get it now.
post #3545 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 11:43 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

That's what the 'double blind' aspect is all about. The participants are 'blind'; they don't know whether they received the vaccine or not. That means the behaviour of the two groups (those that received the vaccine and those that didn't) won't be affected by such knowledge. There will be variations in how individuals behave, but the groups should be large enough to even out the range of behaviours between the two groups. The researchers are also 'blind', so when they analyse the results, they won't be biased in their interpretation of the results. The study is only 'unblinded' once the results have been analysed.

The trial stopped once 170 of the subjects had become infected. The vast majority of those that caught the virus (95%) were in the control group that didn't get the vaccine. So that's good evidence that the vaccine works.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-b1724874.html

Quote:
Of those volunteers who tested positive for Covid-19, only eight had been given the vaccine. The remaining 162 infections were observed in the placebo group.
post #3546 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 06:13 AM
🌱🐌

My Mood: Angelic

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3547 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

The bowling ally and restaurant over in Houghton is disregarding the Health Dept orders to close up inside gathering. They were packed with customers. They donít understand that the hospital here is small and canít deal with a large jump in cases.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #3548 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 11:51 AM

Milk and soy milk selling out, sunflower seeds out at the Feed & Seed. Still got toilet paper though, ironically...for now at least.

My dad says nobody was restocking at Walmart (usually there are stockers blocking aisles), but there were plenty of "personal shoppers" with multiple carts and baskets overflowing with groceries for "curbside pickup."

I didn't tell him that as far as I'm aware, our local Walmart doesn't HAVE curbside pickup (at least, early in the pandemic they didn't, I had to sign up on their site to find this out--they didn't have online ordering, either--and they've never been very motivated to change their policies, I checked their local Facebook back then and a woman was complaining, "Why haven't you guys implemented curbside pickup yet??" and there was just a form response from the official Walmart--not our local one--parroting that they'd "look into it soon!" to which another user grumbled, "They've been 'looking into' this for months"), so I'm suspecting those are not "personal shoppers" doing the shopping for several people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
The bowling ally and restaurant over in Houghton is disregarding the Health Dept orders to close up inside gathering. They were packed with customers. They don’t understand that the hospital here is small and can’t deal with a large jump in cases.
That sucks.

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #3549 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 12:48 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Milk and soy milk selling out, sunflower seeds out at the Feed & Seed. Still got toilet paper though, ironically...for now at least.

My dad says nobody was restocking at Walmart (usually there are stockers blocking aisles), but there were plenty of "personal shoppers" with multiple carts and baskets overflowing with groceries for "curbside pickup."

I didn't tell him that as far as I'm aware, our local Walmart doesn't HAVE curbside pickup (at least, early in the pandemic they didn't, I had to sign up on their site to find this out--they didn't have online ordering, either--and they've never been very motivated to change their policies, I checked their local Facebook back then and a woman was complaining, "Why haven't you guys implemented curbside pickup yet??" and there was just a form response from the official Walmart--not our local one--parroting that they'd "look into it soon!" to which another user grumbled, "They've been 'looking into' this for months"), so I'm suspecting those are not "personal shoppers" doing the shopping for several people...

Now that the Trashbag is no longer president, you can finally be free. There is nothing stopping you or your family to become happy again.
post #3550 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 02:10 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

That sucks.
The Walmart here started doing that a couple of years ago. It started out they had a lounge where people sat to wait for their stuff to be picked up. Then they built a canopy for cars to park under. Then this past summer they expanded the parking space east of the canopy. I started doing this at the end of August so my dad doesnít have to go in. I also put him on one of my credit card accounts so he could use the pay at pump.

post #3551 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Another trip to CVS and Costco yesterday. Same mask "configuration". Double masks. Cheap "standard" "medical" mask on the bottom and cloth mask on the top. I feel like this trip was reasonably safe because although Costco was kinda crowded this time, it felt relatively easy to keep my distance from people. CVS was almost empty. I didn't see anyone without a mask this time. I didn't see anyone with their nose out this time either.

Of course what makes Covid scary is you just never know. And the incubation period means you could feel fine for days and then it hits you. I had to go to Costco though because all my meds were due and Costco's pharmacy is inside the store.
post #3552 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 01:50 PM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
Some idiot who owns a barbecue joint in the west of my city decided he was above the law and opened his restaurant for dine-in despite the lockdown that started on Monday. He's styling himself as some kind of "hero" who is standing up to tyranny or some garbage like that. He's a typical whiny loser who talks like he's a brave alpha male, and he's previously put out conspiracy theories he probably read on some nut job's facebook feed about how the covid tests are mostly false positives (lol okay buddy, over 90% false positives... sure thing ) and other idiocy. The monkey even learned some fancy sciencey words like "PCR" and "cycles" to "prove" his case, obviously without understanding any of it, not knowing that he has no clue what the **** he's talking about or that it's all nonsense with no scientific backing.

They showed some footage of the restaurant from outside on the news, and of course almost everyone in there was not wearing a mask, and there was one maskless guy coming out of the restaurant sneezing a bunch of times. You can't make this **** up. All of his equally braindead supporters came to eat at the restaurant to own the libs (and apparently also the health system, everyone who wants to continue living, grandma, etc.). One of the people who showed up was a known white supremacist, so that's the calibre of people this guy is hoping to inspire.

So because this little snowflake and his over-inflated ego felt the need to fight some imaginary war against made up enemies, he's going to end up spreading the virus and killing a bunch of people. Thankfully the police yesterday went and shut him down, but he opened again today because he's a moron. And I just heard the police laid charges on him. Good. These triggered right wing conspiracy idiots are a virus, and we need to contain their spread. Let's ship them all off to Garbage Island and let them get sick with all the virus they please.

Last edited by Ape in space; 11-25-2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: added update about police action
post #3553 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
insert witty comment here

Quote:
One of our residents in one of our group homes has COVID. State law mandates we open one of our homes to be a COVID home. So we had to move our current residents out of that home into other homes to open that house up for COVID. Had a Zoom meeting with staff at the end of the day discussing this residents behaviors. I had only a few minutes to find some information about this resident. She just moved into one of our houses while I have been pretty much working from home so I didn't know anything about her. I now think this is going to spread like wild fire in our homes.
So how did it go? Are you seeing an outbreak? Or did you all get lucky?
post #3554 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 03:49 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
So how did it go? Are you seeing an outbreak? Or did you all get lucky?

Luckily, so far she is the only one. She still doesn't have symptoms. She has a small cough but she is a heavy smoker and this maybe the cause. This is the 13th day in Quarantine so she should be retested and if negative she can move back to her home. I don't know if they will move the three residents back into that home or just leave it empty for other COVID? There is going to be a big rise after Thanksgiving due to everyone congregating with extended family. Especially the Apostolic Lutherans with there large families and they don't follow any of the guidelines. I see them many times going into the stores without masks, and they had a protest against the latest restrictions at the bowling ally/restaurant over in Houghton last Friday.

post #3555 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
insert witty comment here

Quote:
Luckily, so far she is the only one. She still doesn't have symptoms. She has a small cough but she is a heavy smoker and this maybe the cause. This is the 13th day in Quarantine so she should be retested and if negative she can move back to her home. I don't know if they will move the three residents back into that home or just leave it empty for other COVID? There is going to be a big rise after Thanksgiving due to everyone congregating with extended family. Especially the Apostolic Lutherans with there large families and they don't follow any of the guidelines. I see them many times going into the stores without masks, and they had a protest against the latest restrictions at the bowling ally/restaurant over in Houghton last Friday.
Glad to hear it went well
post #3556 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 05:24 PM
banana enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape in space View Post
Some idiot who owns a barbecue joint in the west of my city decided he was above the law and opened his restaurant for dine-in despite the lockdown that started on Monday. He's styling himself as some kind of "hero" who is standing up to tyranny or some garbage like that. He's a typical whiny loser who talks like he's a brave alpha male, and he's previously put out conspiracy theories he probably read on some nut job's facebook feed about how the covid tests are mostly false positives (lol okay buddy, over 90% false positives... sure thing ) and other idiocy. The monkey even learned some fancy sciencey words like "PCR" and "cycles" to "prove" his case, obviously without understanding any of it, not knowing that he has no clue what the **** he's talking about or that it's all nonsense with no scientific backing.

They showed some footage of the restaurant from outside on the news, and of course almost everyone in there was not wearing a mask, and there was one maskless guy coming out of the restaurant sneezing a bunch of times. You can't make this **** up. All of his equally braindead supporters came to eat at the restaurant to own the libs (and apparently also the health system, everyone who wants to continue living, grandma, etc.). One of the people who showed up was a known white supremacist, so that's the calibre of people this guy is hoping to inspire.

So because this little snowflake and his over-inflated ego felt the need to fight some imaginary war against made up enemies, he's going to end up spreading the virus and killing a bunch of people. Thankfully the police yesterday went and shut him down, but he opened again today because he's a moron. And I just heard the police laid charges on him. Good. These triggered right wing conspiracy idiots are a virus, and we need to contain their spread. Let's ship them all off to Garbage Island and let them get sick with all the virus they please.
This dickbag got arrested today, after preparing to open illegally for a third day. You can tell he's a huge attention *****, and the morons who follow him (and were there protesting - don't they have anything more productive to do?) started a gofundme for him. Talk about fleecing your own supporters. Just opening for takeout was too much of an imposition for this privileged little ***** - he felt entitled to have maskless people in his joint spreading covid and likely killing a bunch of people. Loathsome little turd. But I took a great deal of pleasure in watching him be dragged off in handcuffs, as well as another follower of his who attacked the police arresting him and was himself subsequently arrested. I enjoyed watching the uneducated chimps scream and cry about the arrest and "fascism". Funny, these are the same people who lick the boots of police when they're harassing nonviolent BLM protesters, but when they get arrested for blatantly defying a public health order in the middle of a deadly pandemic, and they get the justified consequence after 3 days of openly flouting the law, they suddenly cry "fascism!". If anyone even thinks of taking these cretins seriously for their ideological views, don't bother. They don't believe in anything other than helping themselves. Principles are disposable to them. They're just little children throwing a tantrum when they don't get their way, and we need to treat them as such. The owner of the barbeque is now in a "time out" in jail. I hope he rots.
post #3557 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 05:37 PM

@Ape in space

Some restaurants/bars in Michigan that kept violating the rules just got slapped with citations and their liquor licenses suspended, too.

post #3558 of 3560 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 09:28 PM
banana enthusiast

The hilarious thing is that the guy isn't even a struggling small business owner trying to stay afloat, as he seems to want to portray himself. He's a privileged douchebag who comes from an affluent family. The restaurant in question is a second restaurant he opened up (he apparently has 3). His father gave him the land for his first restaurant, according to this profile from 2016. And apparently he didn't even have a business licence to operate the restaurant that is currently in the news.

And by all accounts, he was doing very well in takeout sales, so it's not like he was struggling. I don't begrudge him for having an affluent family, but to portray yourself like you're a suffering business owner who is being oppressed by the lockdown is despicable, especially when there are businesses that are ACTUALLY suffering but still doing their part and adapting, and this guy's actions will just ensure that the pandemic and the economic hardship will go on even longer. So yeah, total fraud, wannabe hero.

Unfortunate that he had a brother who died from suicide, but that apparently hasn't made him have any compassion for the thousands of people who are dying because of the selfish actions of people like him.
post #3559 of 3560 (permalink) Old Today, 07:31 AM
Viva La Raza!

My Mood: Tired
A Karen claims to be a scientist and that there is no coronavirus. It's unbelievable that people actually think the virus is a hoax.
post #3560 of 3560 (permalink) Old Today, 02:33 PM
SAS Member

We have another resident that came down with COVID and had to be moved over to our designated COVID home. We also have another that is suspicious due to having diarrhea, fever but his guardian doesn't want to put him through testing. How stupid. We have three other that are in the 70's and 80's in that house. But that is the attitude here that this is a hoax.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page