Breastfeeding in a flight -KLM case - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 667
My Mood: Cheeky

Breastfeeding in a flight -KLM case


What do you think of breastfeeding generally? Are burqas needed to cover this shameful act or it is free and normal act when mom is feedig a baby? Does anyone find it offensive toward females for trying to hide both of them under a blanket? Why women and babies should be ashamed for eating?

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:37 PM
SAS Member
 
SorryForMyEnglish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Language: Bad English
Gender: Agender
Posts: 1,019
My Mood: Dead
I think women shouldn't feel ashamed to breastfeed whenever the child needs the milk (read: the circumstances that make them ashamed to do that shouldn't be present). That's good for both women and their babies/toddlers. More chance they won't have severe social anxiety and other mental health issues in future because breasfeeding on time is very important for both physical and pschological wellbeing of children. The psychological is as important as the physical because their psyche is forming. They gain this basic sense of safety of the world by being fed on demand. And this basic feeling is very important because it will be there during their whole lives with them. According to what I've read and how I understood it anyway.

Sorry for my English.
SorryForMyEnglish is offline  
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Vainglorious little sh*t
 
SparklingWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,185
Perfectly normal and natural. Teensy humans have to eat. Personally, I'd throw a light privacy sheet over breast and baby and feed away. In an ideal world, a privacy sheet wouldn't be needed, but as it is, many women do prefer it.

No one should be required to use one though. If one doesn't mind pervs possibly enjoying the show or the 'clutch their pearls' crew pitching a fit, feel free to free boob it. Most decent pple look away and society is becoming more progressive so hopefully it won't be a big deal for too much longer.

On enhanced mobile I don't receive notifications besides pms. Apologies if I don't respond.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
SparklingWater is offline  
 
post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:37 PM
SAS Member
 
Micronian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Gender: Male
Age: 39
Posts: 3,659
to me, breastfeeding in public is a lot like blowing your nose or sneezing in public: it happens, and it's understandable. But it's also kind of off-putting. It never quite has its place among a group of people (I remember I used to visit a daycare to change winter floormats every couple of weeks. In one part of the facility where I had to change the floormats there were sometimes women breastfeeding out in the open. I remember just wanting to get the heck out of there as quickly as possible!).

The shame part though, I don't know. Maybe it's a legacy of class society. You wouldn't imagine the nobility breastfeeding their children in public--they probably never even did it; they could have gotten someone to do it for them. The lower classes, the peasant farmers, the "savages" of un-modernized lands, you'd imagine them breastfeeding in public in such times. and it probably carried on in the way we understand "proper" behaviour...especially through education and schooling.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
Micronian is offline  
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 667
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
to me, breastfeeding in public is a lot like blowing your nose or sneezing in public: it happens, and it's understandable. But it's also kind of off-putting. It never quite has its place among a group of people (I remember I used to visit a daycare to change winter floormats every couple of weeks. In one part of the facility where I had to change the floormats there were sometimes women breastfeeding out in the open. I remember just wanting to get the heck out of there as quickly as possible!).

The shame part though, I don't know. Maybe it's a legacy of class society. You wouldn't imagine the nobility breastfeeding their children in public--they probably never even did it; they could have gotten someone to do it for them. The lower classes, the peasant farmers, the "savages" of un-modernized lands, you'd imagine them breastfeeding in public in such times. and it probably carried on in the way we understand "proper" behaviour...especially through education and schooling.

Breastfeeding makes us animals, mammals, and some people cannot accept that That shame actually also exist in some countries where is no too clear nobility-history, but I like that explanation.


World sometimes gives a good laugh by settling the "proper behaviour" . No public breastdeeding, no nipples but set that rapper free which beat a guy unconciously in Sweden.. I just take a call... Wonder when trashing women ends.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 667
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
I think women shouldn't feel ashamed to breastfeed whenever the child needs the milk (read: the circumstances that make them ashamed to do that shouldn't be present). That's good for both women and their babies/toddlers. More chance they won't have severe social anxiety and other mental health issues in future because breasfeeding on time is very important for both physical and pschological wellbeing of children. The psychological is as important as the physical because their psyche is forming. They gain this basic sense of safety of the world by being fed on demand. And this basic feeling is very important because it will be there during their whole lives with them. According to what I've read and how I understood it anyway.
Yes, breastfeeding also gives secure and comfort thereby sometimes breastfeeding is a quiet blessing for other passangers .

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Cooked.
 
Karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Yawk
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 8,787
My Mood: Worried
Breastfeeding shouldn't be frowned upon at all. People need to stop sexualizing a perfectly natural and NECESSARY act.

Let the little hairless, wrinkly things eat in peace!

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
Karsten is offline  
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 667
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Breastfeeding shouldn't be frowned upon at all. People need to stop sexualizing a perfectly natural and NECESSARY act.

Let the little hairless, wrinkly things eat in peace!

Yes indeed!

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:30 PM
Is that what day it is?
 
Nonsensical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nowhereville
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 7,808
My Mood: Dead
Taking a dump is normal but you don't pull down your pants and do it on the kitchen table. I think breast feeding in public should be avoided, it'll make some people uncomfortable. Understandable if you're in a situation where you can't get much privacy.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Nonsensical is offline  
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:38 PM
'internet nerd'
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 35,902
I don't see the problem I guess people are uncomfortable with being reminded that Humans are animals and this is one of those things that reminds people but yeah people can look away it's not like you have to stare.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."
Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM
SAS Member
 
Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La La Land
Gender: Male
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Taking a dump is normal but you don't pull down your pants and do it on the kitchen table. I think breast feeding in public should be avoided, it'll make some people uncomfortable. Understandable if you're in a situation where you can't get much privacy.
Great analogy. Colostrum & faeces.. same thing!

We need to protect the uncomfortable and innocent bystanders from offensive and disgusting things like boobs.
Shredder is offline  
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:09 PM
monk
 
andy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chch
Language: english, silence
Gender: Non-binary
Age: 34
Posts: 6,174
My Mood: Amazed
on a flight? i guess it'd be nice to ask the person(s) next to you if they're ok with that. otherwise cover for discretion? baby's gotta eat. be wary of different customs in different places if you're traveling. no one has a monopoly on etiquette. the airline must have rules about this, so you ought to check what the rules are. etc. etc.


one lady at meetup brought her baby with her and breast fed at the table in a cafe. a bit awkward, but everyone was fine with it. sometimes you just have to assert yourself and what you've got to regardless of people's feelings. got nothing against the people that don't want to see it, etc. everyone gets uncomfortable sometimes, about different things.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
andy1984 is online now  
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Cooked.
 
Karsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Yawk
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 8,787
My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Taking a dump is normal but you don't pull down your pants and do it on the kitchen table. I think breast feeding in public should be avoided, it'll make some people uncomfortable. Understandable if you're in a situation where you can't get much privacy.
Taking a dump on the kitchen table isn't only disgusting, it's unhealthy. Humans are wired to be repulsed by **** for obvious reasons.

I don't think women should be shamed for taking care of their child. This is a case of people sexualizing something which isn't sexual at all.

*EDIT* As far as on a flight, like Andy said, I think it's really up to the discretion of the airline. KLM does tons of international flights and it's important for them to maintain a culture-friendly environment so to speak.

Personally, however, I could give a **** about culture. I do not respect it to any degree. I don't care that X culture sexualizes women so much to the point that they should be deterred from nurturing their child. The same way I don't respect cultures that force women to cover up. It's archaic and absurd.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
Karsten is offline  
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 PM
'internet nerd'
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 35,902
Some women actually choose not to breastfeed because they're worried about having to do it outside the home.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b013392edfa3e7

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."
Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 PM
Is that what day it is?
 
Nonsensical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nowhereville
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 7,808
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Great analogy. Colostrum & faeces.. same thing!

We need to protect the uncomfortable and innocent bystanders from offensive and disgusting things like boobs.
Your nose isn't offensive but picking it in front of people is. You can still do it in public if you like, but naturally you won't because it it's impolite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Taking a dump on the kitchen table isn't only disgusting, it's unhealthy. Humans are wired to be repulsed by **** for obvious reasons.

I don't think women should be shamed for taking care of their child. This is a case of people sexualizing something which isn't sexual at all.

*EDIT* As far as on a flight, like Andy said, I think it's really up to the discretion of the airline. KLM does tons of international flights and it's important for them to maintain a culture-friendly environment so to speak.

Personally, however, I could give a **** about culture. I do not respect it to any degree. I don't care that X culture sexualizes women so much to the point that they should be deterred from nurturing their child. The same way I don't respect cultures that force women to cover up. It's archaic and absurd.
I don't think women should be "shamed" for it either but I think some common courtesy would be nice.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Nonsensical is offline  
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:11 PM
SAS Member
 
Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: La La Land
Gender: Male
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Your nose isn't offensive but picking it in front of people is. You can still do it in public if you like, but naturally you won't because it it's impolite.
I think you missed the target again. It's not the nose... it's the booger and snot that's the issue. Anyway, TBH I usually feel uncomfortable if I see a woman breastfeeding but that is MY issue not hers. There is absolutely nothing WRONG with a woman breastfeeding. Good on them I say! If it makes me uncomfortable I have no right telling them what they should or shouldn't be doing.
Shredder is offline  
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:44 PM
Flying Backwards
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 46
Posts: 27,490
My Mood: Relaxed
I can't find it within me to get bothered by this. Plenty of stuff going on that actually matters to expend your mental energy on.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 PM
Malevolent Dictator
 
truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cislandia
Gender: Transgender
Age: 47
Posts: 8,698
My Mood: Brooding
Doesn't bother me at all. I haven't prioritized my personal comfort over a baby's personal comfort.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
truant is offline  
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 667
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Some women actually choose not to breastfeed because they're worried about having to do it outside the home.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b013392edfa3e7

Some World's health organization was speaking to settle breastfeeding legal. Yes, yes,it is legal already but in a purpose that a breastfeeder would be protected and they should add covering cannot be required.
I don't if any country really did that.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
Gender: Female
Posts: 667
My Mood: Cheeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Doesn't bother me at all. I haven't prioritized my personal comfort over a baby's personal comfort.
This. I feel it odd when for example 36 years old person start to anger like negative ager and demands babies rights to eat and feel safe away.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
smoothlinghs is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome