Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Society & Culture (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f32/)
-   -   as someone with SAD, I find this disturbing... (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f32/as-someone-with-sad-i-find-this-disturbing-13827/)

mechagirl 09-08-2006 07:11 PM

as someone with SAD, I find this disturbing...

oh God this really disturbs me:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/v ... c0b5d9f799

I stumbled onto this while lurking here(its from the current events/news section).

what really freaks me out is that this sicko claimed he had social anxiety in his blog. :um

oh God...I know the connection between socially introverted people/loners & killers is exagerrated by the media, but then you see stuff like this... :|

this is why i never feel comfortable trusting anyone, not even others with social anxiety...

ps- i put this thread here & not in Coping cuz of it involving murder & the graphic nature of whats discussed...

orpheus 09-08-2006 07:22 PM

So what? Garrulous extroverts kill to. Just listen to Charles Manson run his mouth in his many interviews. There is no rule that says killers and rapists are a certain way and neither is there a rule that says loners/introverts are always harmless. It's when we focus on shy killers that it becomes easy to think there is a correlation, as illusory at it is.

Zephyr 09-08-2006 07:24 PM

I don't know if there's a real correlation between shyness/quietness and violent behaviour. I would guess there's actually an inverse correlation there, in general. However, it is true that the outgoing find us shy types kind of creepy. They probably think that by being quiet all the time, it shows we have something to hide.

Drella 09-08-2006 07:38 PM

It's a little bizarre that he posted in his blog right after he killed the little girl.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyr
I don't know if there's a real correlation between shyness/quietness and violent behaviour.

A little off topic, but I think I'm going to do my psychology senior project on that very topic. I have to calculate the statistical significance using SPSS so it'll be interesting to see -mathematically- how strong the correlation is, if there is one... if I don't scrap the topic.

UltraShy 09-08-2006 07:40 PM

Re: as someone with SAD, I find this disturbing...

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mechagirl
what really freaks me out is that this sicko claimed he had social anxiety in his blog. :um

this is why i never feel comfortable trusting anyone, not even others with social anxiety...

Given that some of the people on SAS are too afraid to even leave the house and many of those who do leave the house are much too afraid to actually do wild stuff like talk to others, I'd say it would be hard for them to be serial killers.

Jeffrey Dahmer (who lived within 10 miles of me) liked to pick up gay guys at bars and he liked teen boys too and he'd kill them after getting them back to his apartment. Ted Bundy really knew how to charm the ladies. It's kind of hard to imagine some totally awkward guy with SA having the social skill to charm someone into coming with them to kill them.

odun 09-08-2006 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orpheus
So what? Garrulous extroverts kill to. Just listen to Charles Manson run his mouth in his many interviews. There is no rule that says killers and rapists are a certain way and neither is there a rule that says loners/introverts are always harmless. It's when we focus on shy killers that it becomes easy to think there is a correlation, as illusory at it is.

ted bundy was a very outgoing man also. so was john wayne gacey.

WineKitty 09-08-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraShy
Quote:

Given that some of the people on SAS are too afraid to even leave the house and many of those who do leave the house are much too afraid to actually do wild stuff like talk to others, I'd say it would be hard for them to be serial killers.

Hmm somehow I find that hard to believe. I think that someone who is disillusioned with society, isolated and feeling alone, without a social network, frustrated with their attempts "normalize" their relations with others, to the rest of the world would be a perfect candidate for such an act. I UNDERSTAND your point completely, as i see things from the SA point of view, however, I am just not sure that this point would be well taken by the more social members of society.

OnyxHeart 09-08-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penny68
I think that someone who is disillusioned with society, isolated and feeling alone, without a social network, frustrated with their attempts "normalize" their relations with others, to the rest of the world would be a perfect candidate for such an act.

We're all time bombs in here! Lock us up! :troll

Interesting:

http://website.lineone.net/~tymaloney/info.htm

millenniumman75 09-08-2006 08:54 PM

From BlueMonday's link......

Terrible Triad

There are three common characteristics found present in most serial killers during there childhood. These are known as the terrible triad. There is no guarantee that if all three conditions are present, the child will for-certain, grow up to become a serial killer. But they are early warning signs to be aware of. The conditions are Bed-wetting, Fire-starting and Animal torture.

Bed-wetting-at least 60% of serial killers were wetting the bed past the age of 12.

Fire-starting-a large amount of serial killers have a fascination with arson, or started fires as children.

Animal torture-many serial killers, before moving to human victims, start with small, or dead animals

*I never wet the bed, I think fire is dangerous, although I did go through a phase where I like to burn candles (still do), but know the dangers of fire, and NEVER tortured animals. Well, there is the hissing back at cats, but they hiss at me first.

Argo 09-09-2006 05:21 AM

I wonder what the connection is with bed-wetting. Overgrown adolescence? Inability to control the self? Passive rebellion against social mores? It seems such an odd marker when matched with those other two.

Laura 09-09-2006 08:13 AM

Splotch 09-09-2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura
I always thought the reason why boys wet their bed was because their bladders were small.

Yes, they have small bladders but it's the inability to control their bladder (due to many reasons) that causes bed wetting. Not all boys with little bladders wet their beds.

Laura 09-09-2006 09:19 AM

millenniumman75 09-09-2006 09:35 AM

I know that in adolesence, there is a period of time where some parts of the body develop before others, including the bladder. That's no excuse, though. No water and a trip to the bathroom would suffice.

Thunder 09-09-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenniumman75
I know that in adolesence, there is a period of time where some parts of the body develop before others, including the bladder. That's no excuse, though. No water and a trip to the bathroom would suffice.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bed-we ... DSECTION=3

millenniumman75 09-09-2006 10:12 AM

:eek sleep apnea, too? :con
I don't have it, but I can see how the broken sleep can trigger the problem.

Drella 09-09-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splotch
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura
I always thought the reason why boys wet their bed was because their bladders were small.

Yes, they have small bladders but it's the inability to control their bladder (due to many reasons) that causes bed wetting. Not all boys with little bladders wet their beds.

Some bed wetting is indicative of abuse. That's what's said in the section of my psychology texts devoted to bed wetting. My cousin was severely abused by her mother and she wet the bed until she was 19 and engaged. I think that's the reason for that being included in the criteria. Many serial killers are victims of extreme emotional and physical abuse, and it can lead to bed wetting in some cases.

mechagirl 09-09-2006 05:36 PM

I agree with what Penny68 posted. The thing is if you read his blog this guy sounds a lot like many of us who post here. Hell maybe he even did post here? :um
what makes someone go from awkward antisocial loner to awkward antisocial loner who murders?

OnyxHeart 09-09-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

what makes someone go from awkward antisocial loner to awkward antisocial loner who murders?

Well...if that's how you feel, check into the nearest state hospital; and tell 'em to keep that Thorazine coming! :troll

It all keeps adding up,
I think I'm cracking up!

Futures 09-09-2006 06:11 PM

Most shy people wouldn't hurt a fly. I bet 90% or more of the people that post on this board have never even been in a fist fight in their entire life.

Look at the prison population. It's mostly filled with overly aggressive, outgoing people.