American Family Association reverses course on 'Gays' - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Comrade

Lightbulb

American Family Association reverses course on 'Gays'

Quote:
OneNewsNow, the "Christian news service" covertly owned by the AFA, receives syndicated content from providers like the Associated Press and edits instances of the word "gay" to read "homosexual." Although the site is registered to the conservative, anti-gay organization, the fact is not disclosed anywhere on the site.

An article posted Sunday night about Olympic track and field star Tyson Gay was no exception.

"Tyson Homosexual easily won his semifinal for the 100 meters at the U.S. Olympic track and field trials," the article read, "and seemed to save something for the final later Sunday." The headline read "Homosexual eases into 100 final at Olympic events."

"On Saturday," it went on, "Homosexual misjudged the finish in his opening heat and had to scramble to finish fourth, then in his quarterfinal a couple of hours later, ran 9.77 to break the American record that had stood since 1999."

"Asked how he felt, Homosexual said: 'A little fatigued.'"

This morning, OneNewsNow changed its stance on 'Gays' (but not 'gays') and changed the article back to the way the AP had first written it. As late as 9:45am ET today, the online version below referenced the runner as "Tyson Homosexual"; by 10:06am ET the headline and story text had been edited to reunite Gay with his original name.

AP spokesman Jack Spokes said he could not comment without first reviewing the information first brought to him by PageOneQ. Cindy Roberts of the American Family Association said she would "take a look" at the news post. A follow-up message seeking comment on why the ownership of OneNewsNow is not disclosed on the site has not been returned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 AM
SAS Member

Re: American Family Association reverses course on 'Gays'

Oh good grief. You'd think someone would have read that and fixed it before it went out.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Comrade

Lightbulb

Oh, I can see it now..."The MoTown Collection: Marvin Homosexual 's Greatest Hits"

"Let's get it on"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM
SAS Member

You got to be kidding me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 PM

Just goes to show you how desperate they are to dehumanize us, and also the importance of word choice. "Homosexual" in the sense they use it pathologizes us, and focuses in on the "sex" part they're all so obsessed with. "Gay" on the other hand, has long meant happy and carefree. And we can't be portraying homosexuals as happy, now, can we?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:42 PM
SAS Member

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapluie
Just goes to show you how desperate they are to dehumanize us, and also the importance of word choice. "Homosexual" in the sense they use it pathologizes us, and focuses in on the "sex" part they're all so obsessed with. "Gay" on the other hand, has long meant happy and carefree. And we can't be portraying homosexuals as happy, now, can we?
Well, "Gay" also has negative connotations. But that's neither here nor there. The culture of spoken language is often different and more localized compared to its formal, written, counterpart.

More importantly, if I were the runner I would be upset for misrepresenting his name. This is more than a typo.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday
Oh, I can see it now..."The MoTown Collection: Marvin Homosexuale 's Greatest Hits"
I was obviously a search and replace gone awry. I wouldn't say this is reversing course, though. An apology to the athlete and a retraction in the next issue would be sufficient. Blowing this up isn't.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian

Well, "Gay" also has negative connotations. But that's neither here nor there.
I suppose you're referring to younger people who use the word "gay" to mean "stupid" or "lame." Yeah, it's annoying, but it seems to be limited exclusively to the younger set. I've never heard an adult say "that's so gay" and meant it like that.

"Gay" is still overwhelmingly the most accepted term used to refer to men (and sometimes women) who are exclusively attracted to persons of their own gender.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page