Alabama woman loses unborn child after being shot, gets arrested; shooter goes free - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
'internet nerd'

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語

Alabama woman loses unborn child after being shot, gets arrested; shooter goes free

So earlier this month an Alabama megachurch has gotten it's own police force:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/21/p...rnd/index.html

Not to be outdone in stupid ****ing legal **** - a woman has now been arrested for getting shot and miscarrying:

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...dismissed.html

Quote:
A woman whose unborn baby was killed in a 2018 Pleasant Grove shooting has now been indicted in the death.

Marshae Jones, a 27-year-old Birmingham woman, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury on a manslaughter charge. She was taken into custody on Wednesday.

Though Jones didn’t fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities say she initiated the dispute that led to the gunfire. Police initially charged 23-year-old Ebony Jemison with manslaughter, but the charge against Jemison was dismissed after the grand jury failed to indict her.

The shooting happened about noon on Dec. 4, 2018, outside Dollar General on Park Road. Officers were dispatched to the scene on a report of someone shot but arrived to find the shooting victim – later identified as Jones - had been picked up and driven to Fairfield. Police and paramedics then found the Jones at a Fairfield convenience store.

Jones was taken from Fairfield to UAB Hospital. She was five months pregnant and was shot in the stomach. The unborn baby did not survive the shooting.

“The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,’’ Pleasant Grove police Lt. Danny Reid said at the time of the shooting. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.”

Reid said the fight stemmed over the unborn baby’s father. The investigation showed, he said, that it was Jones who initiated and pressed the fight, which ultimately caused Jemison to defend herself and unfortunately caused the death of the baby.

"Let’s not lose sight that the unborn baby is the victim here,’’ Reid said. “She had no choice in being brought unnecessarily into a fight where she was relying on her mother for protection."

The 5-month fetus was "dependent on its mother to try to keep it from harm, and she shouldn’t seek out unnecessary physical altercations,” Reid added.

Quote:
Alabama next to last in US News ranking of best and worst states
Yes, that seems accurate.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:41 PM
SAS Member

I wonder how many months away we are from the Alabama GOP passing a law that legalizes burning witches at the stake to get rid of the feminist population.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:19 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Mississippi might be worse. Heavy competition between the two. Ironic. Poorest state in the country is the hardest to get an abortion.

Arizona is a real craphole too. Abortion is hard to get and they are uber racist. Hate Mexicans with a fervor. Plus it's 120 degrees half the year there.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:27 PM
SAS Member

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:44 AM
ghostly

dont think its possible to try and see their point of view... its so far gone that by the time you get there you wont be able to remember your original perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
'internet nerd'

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Mississippi might be worse. Heavy competition between the two. Ironic. Poorest state in the country is the hardest to get an abortion.

Arizona is a real craphole too. Abortion is hard to get and they are uber racist. Hate Mexicans with a fervor. Plus it's 120 degrees half the year there.
I looked it up and apparently Mississippi was the third worst, Louisiana was the worst which I wasn't expecting (I didn't expect it to be near the top but not the worst, apparently it's the third year in a row though.)

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.

🎸

Silly boy!
Let it go."
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:49 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Christian Sharia laws. Manslaughter charges have been dropped. It's sad it took a public backlash to rectify this backward charge.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
'internet nerd'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubly View Post
Christian Sharia laws. Manslaughter charges have been dropped. It's sad it took a public backlash to rectify this backward charge.
Good this was the most ridiculous case I've seen in a long while.

Quote:

🎸

Silly boy!
Let it go."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:02 AM
SAS Member

Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
My Mood: Cheeky
You have no human rights in USA? This is laughable and I hope there is a possibility to fix that.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:56 AM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
Did the shooter face any charges or was it a perfectly legal instance of self defense? If the gun were legal, and the shooter was exonerated, I don't see the manslaughter charge on the mother being all that farfetched.

If, however, the shooter broke any laws (e.g., illegal weapon), then the manslaughter charge should fall on them.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:16 AM
SAS Member

Language: I have a one tongue and that is not English
My Mood: Cheeky
The one who fired the bullet is quilty.

No, I don't speak English and that is a secret of my happiness!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
'internet nerd'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Did the shooter face any charges or was it a perfectly legal instance of self defense? If the gun were legal, and the shooter was exonerated, I don't see the manslaughter charge on the mother being all that farfetched.

If, however, the shooter broke any laws (e.g., illegal weapon), then the manslaughter charge should fall on them.
She got off on self defense (jury decided that,) this was apparently before the new stronger abortion laws went through (but I've read elsewhere that they've had feotal homocide laws since 2006 so..) and regardless I'm strongly against death of unborn fetuses being criminalised:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48789836

Quote:

🎸

Silly boy!
Let it go."
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
She got off on self defense (jury decided that,) this was apparently before the new stronger abortion laws went through (but I've read elsewhere that they've had feotal homocide laws since 2006 so..) and regardless I'm strongly against death of unborn fetuses being criminalised:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48789836
I'm 100% pro choice as well, but opinions aside, people are making this out to be some sort of absurdity, which it's not.

She was obviously the aggressor here - at least enough to warrant someone shooting her and getting off on self defense. She wasn't a "shooting victim", at least according to the police investigation. The baby died because of her careless behavior... How is that any different from your typical manslaughter charge?

IF the gripe is with how the prosecution considers the fetus a child, then this is just your typical Pro Life vs Pro Choice debate. But at least frame it as such.

I don't even know why I'm trying to play devil's advocate here, lol. I guess I'm bored.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
'internet nerd'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
I'm 100% pro choice as well, but opinions aside, people are making this out to be some sort of absurdity, which it's not.

She was obviously the aggressor here - at least enough to warrant someone shooting her and getting off on self defense. She wasn't a "shooting victim", at least according to the police investigation. The baby died because of her careless behavior... How is that any different from your typical manslaughter charge?

IF the gripe is with how the prosecution considers the fetus a child, then this is just your typical Pro Life vs Pro Choice debate. But at least frame it as such.

I don't even know why I'm trying to play devil's advocate here, lol. I guess I'm bored.
She was arrested for manslaughter, not attacking a woman (and since no in depth details of that were given I'm also somewhat skeptical tbh. Comments from the police about how 'the only victim here was the feotus' are a bit suspicious too.)

I mean I've grown up in a culture where guns are illegal and that obviously biases my opinion somewhat but did she have a weapon too? How hard is it to get away from a pregnant woman without resorting to shooting her in the first place? People get into fights here and they'll maybe get fined or nothing much will happen if nobody is seriously injured.

Like from my pov it's like... You shot her, you already used more force then was probably necessary and you got away with that, so it's over now.

edit: at like best legally if you consider fetuses protected you could say this is negligence.

Quote:

🎸

Silly boy!
Let it go."
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:16 PM
SAS Member

Well, I'm sure that child would have had a fabulous life with parents like that. Fighting with another woman over the father who would most likely not contribute anything more than sperm.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Well, I'm sure that child would have had a fabulous life with parents like that. Fighting with another woman over the father who would most likely not contribute anything more than sperm.
I suppose they would have been good Springer guests back in the day. Same old **** every day.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:59 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
She was arrested for manslaughter, not attacking a woman (and since no in depth details of that were given I'm also somewhat skeptical tbh. Comments from the police about how 'the only victim here was the feotus' are a bit suspicious too.)

I mean I've grown up in a culture where guns are illegal and that obviously biases my opinion somewhat but did she have a weapon too? How hard is it to get away from a pregnant woman without resorting to shooting her in the first place? People get into fights here and they'll maybe get fined or nothing much will happen if nobody is seriously injured.

Like from my pov it's like... You shot her, you already used more force then was probably necessary and you got away with that, so it's over now.

edit: at like best legally if you consider fetuses protected you could say this is negligence.
Then again, from the shooter's perspective, it is completely plausible that she was protecting herself/close ones from it. (It doesn't become evident, that for example she didn't have a child of her own with her, which, at least I, would be afraid for at such a situation - and defend myself and my loved ones in whatever means I saw necessary).

It is also possible that the gun was, at first, intended to scare her away - which didn't work.

If you have a weapon, and someone keeps coming at you, for the sake of everyone you need to put them down (hopefully in a manner that is not fatal), because fighting over a gun may end much worse.

There seems to be much speculation, and I don't think the articles provide enough evidence to speculate much; someone attacked someone, got shot in self-defense.
You can argue that shooting in self-defense is too much, but defending in some other way could result in even worse results.

(For example the victim instead becoming paralyzed below the neck and the child still dying, not rare when you hit your head on a fall?)

I'm not defending the shooter here; I'm trying to point out that not enough context is provided to know what the situation exactly was, and therefore judge whether or not it was actually self-defense.

I do believe that an attacker is for the most part responsible for whatever is deemed necessary to defend the attack; You always CHOOSE to attack, whereas the defendor may not have an option but to use violence against you, or they might risk injury or death (and they do not know how far you're going - will you stop once they lose consqiousness? Will you leave them in a bloody mess, to die? Will you kick them in the head once they're down until their brains splatter on the concrete? These are things you need to consider when you're under attack).

The charge on her is a bit difficult to decide on; if you are responsible for the safety of another being, then you should act in a manner that does not set them in danger (at least due to your actions)... So I guess it is about whether or not you are responsible for a child before it is born. This is an issue that is very difficult to draw a line on once you start to think about it, instead of just going full-on outrage.

Agree on the laws being ridiculous, so I'm not going to comment any more on them, though.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page