77 pound toddler among the youngest ever to be diagnosed with type II diabetes - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Brooding
Exclamation

77 pound toddler among the youngest ever to be diagnosed with type II diabetes

Toddler among youngest ever diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/toddler-...pe-2-diabetes/

A 3-year-old girl was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, making her what is thought to be one of the youngest people ever seen with the condition. Her story is documented in a case study being presented this week at the annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes in Stockholm.

Type 2 diabetes is typically seen in adults, but as the epidemic expands, the disease has been rising in children, as well.

Dr. Michael Yafi of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, who is presenting the case study, said a 3-and-a-half-year-old Hispanic girl presented to the paediatric endocrinology clinic where he is based for evaluation of obesity. The child weighed 77 pounds -- compared to an average of about 35 pounds for a girl her age.

Her symptoms included excessive urination and thirst, though her medical history showed no sign she was at an increased risk for diabetes.

Doctors reviewed the child's diet and found the family had poor nutritional habits with uncontrolled calories and fat. Both her weight and body mass index (BMI) were in the top 5 percent of all children her age.

After ruling out other potential causes for her obesity and weight gain, doctors diagnosed her with type 2 diabetes.

"The incidence of [type 2 diabetes] has increased dramatically worldwide in children due to the epidemic of child obesity," Yafi said in a statement. "Clinicians should be aware of the possibility of type 2 diabetes even in very young obese children, although of course type 1 diabetes can also still occur in obese children and is in fact much more common in young children than type 2 diabetes."

Early identification is key, especially when it comes to children, Yafi said, as early therapies can help reverse the disease.

In this particular case, the girl started a liquid version of the diabetes drug metformin and her parents received nutritional training and medical advice to help them control their daughter's food intake and increase her physical activity.

The metformin therapy was decreased by 50 percent each month, and then stopped. Six months after her diagnosis, the girl had dropped 25 percent of her body weight and had normal blood glucose levels.

"Reversal of type 2 diabetes in children is possible by early screening of obese children, early diagnosis, appropriate therapy and lifestyle modification," Yafi said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Permanently Banned

It's time we start actually doing something about our sever health issue.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Brooding
Yeah, that's really sad. Poor kid is doomed to a life of bad health, maybe even early death.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 PM
SAS Member

Language: I speak amurrican..
That is just borderline criminal negligence..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 11:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
"Reversal of type 2 diabetes in children is possible by early screening of obese children, early diagnosis, appropriate therapy and lifestyle modification," Yafi said.
If it is so simple why not just treat all obese young children ahead of time instead of testing them until they need metformin? Test for causes of obesity and then start nutrition training and medical advice for all parents with truly obese young children before they get old enough to start demanding their own choices of food. I think many obese people were doomed by their parents because of a poor diet from the start leading to poor food habits even among those that weren't obese as children.

My greatest point is my persistence.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 12:23 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Paranoid
What's with the parents? Honestly, if I had a child, that's incentive for me to get healthy, so my child doesn't have to face embarrassment and humiliation for its, and for my future.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 12:46 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Yep - the parents coddling their children to shut them up with food.
They should never get their way with food because they don't know about nutrition/calories.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Yep - the parents coddling their children to shut them up with food.
They should never get their way with food because they don't know about nutrition/calories.
I don't understand why if those parents are so concerned about helping their child, why are they feeding him donuts and junk food in the back room of the studio?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 12:55 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerroom View Post
I don't understand why if those parents are so concerned about helping their child, why are they feeding him donuts and junk food in the back room of the studio?
I don't know. Those Cheese puffs looked good.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
I don't know. Those Cheese puffs looked good.
Yes they did, but gold fish crackers in tomato soup tastes amazing
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Permanently Banned

I started metformin about a month ago. My GP found my test numbers acceptable, looking only at Ac1. I looked at fasting blood sugar year after year (109 this year) and demanded that action be taken. He didn't argue with me.

Ironically, this is a GP with a passion for handing out antipsychotics, which will only make patients larger and even more of them diabetic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page