Would you be tempted by Vampirism? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Would you be tempted by Vampirism?

Let me set this up:

- you are captured by a group of vampires.
- you are given the choice of either being sucked dry and left dead, or the option of being turned.

Some facts about vampires:

- you don't age. you live virtually forever unless you are killed.
- superhuman strength.
- the sunlight kills you obviously.
- you lust for human blood. You can't live without it without becoming mad, and it makes you feel euphoric, and makes you stronger.
- you don't feel remorse, or empathy with humans. You technically become a psychopath (or you get a terminal case of ASP disorder).
- you live with other anti-social vampires, in cool ancient castles.
- you can hibernate for hundreds of years.
- you don't have to sleep in a coffin, that just looks dumb honestly.
- not sure if you get burnt by crosses ... you can try though, if you want to risk it.
- you get to wear sexy vampire outfits. I mean what's the point otherwise?

---

Would you accept the offer to be turned?

Also, If so, how would you live as a vampire?

- would you just feed on animal blood (fact: animal blood tastes worse, not very nourishing, and generally makes you feel unwell and weak).
- would you embrace a vampiric lifestyle? (hunting people and killing them, etc)
- would you just hunt people and drink some of their blood without letting them die?
- would you also turn your human loved ones too?

---

BTW, I do not advocate for killing people or recommend drinking anyone's blood (you'd probably get sick).

لا خيرَ في كثيرٍ من نجواهُم
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:45 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Nah, I wouldn't want to kill people. Living off animal blood just sounds like torture for vampires, so I don't think I would enjoy endless hunger and food poisoning

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 02:37 PM
Ω

Okay, but does my skin sparkle in the sunlight?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
Nah, I wouldn't want to kill people. Living off animal blood just sounds like torture for vampires, so I don't think I would enjoy endless hunger and food poisoning
I was thinking of this scene from Interview with the Vampire. Lol, I remember watching this movie as a kid and it scarred me for life

^ That woman screaming for her dogs just makes it harder to be a moral vamp. Just let him drink the damn dog :/

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:13 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni-slash View Post
Okay, but does my skin sparkle in the sunlight?
This. Cause if it does, I'll chose death.

I m afraid of not being enough
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:18 PM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Nope, those vamps can suck me dry.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Depends, what kind of Vampire I'd turn into

Will I be Angel from BTVS. A soul restored Vampire who can never experience true happiness. Louis the Whiner, Lestat the Rockstar Vampire, who drinks the blood of animals from The Vampire Chronicles. Will I be a Classic Vampire, Ala Christopher Lee, Vincent Price. A Vampire from the Vampire Diaries or a Twilight Sparkling Vampire. I would prefer to come back as a Spike Vampire, a bad boy Vampire with a sexual appetite and who has some fun or Kurt Barlow from Salems Lot a terrifying Vampire

I m afraid of not being enough
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:33 PM
Some people juggle geese.

No, whatever the kind of vampire it still means hanging around too long.

@Myosr , what's your response?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:42 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
yeah I think I'd give it a go. plus itd make suicide pretty accessible if it wasnt working out. I dont like humans anyway, a lot more care for non human animals. idk if I'd be any good at luring people away.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:47 PM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Do I need to throw holy water on this thread ?

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by introvert33 View Post
@Myosr , what's your response?
I'd probably be tempted, not sure why. Though honestly, biting peoples' necks does sound pretty disgusting, especially if they're sweaty, ew. Or maybe I get a hair stuck in my teeth. They'd have to wash their necks before I bite into them .__.

Or better yet, I'll just live off of blood bags.

Living forever seems cool enough, knowing everyone around you will wither and die. If I get too bored, I just step into the sun.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 06:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I became a vampire in Skyrim. I got bitten by a vampire, it was not something i choosed. I could only go out when it was dark and everyone chased me. It was a nightmare. i had to use a cheat code to get ride of the Vampirism. Never again!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 07:03 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
No, I wouldn't be tempted and I wouldn't accept; I'd just be happy to finally be killed.

I really don't understand peoples' fascination with "living forever." It's like, this life sucks enough while it lasts; do you really want to prolong it at all, much less FOREVER? I feel like most people can't grasp all the implications of "forever." Or they think it'd be some kind of magic "forever" where they'd never suffer and always be happy, which is ridiculous -- if you're miserable now then what makes you think an extra century or two could fix that?

"Sin" is an imaginary disease invented to sell you an imaginary cure.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 01:08 AM
SAS Member

Living forever is overrated.
I'd rather just have enough money to live comfortably.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 03:54 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
If I stopped feeling remorse/empathy and became a psychopath I would no longer be me, so it wouldn't be me becoming immortal, it would be someone else. So there's no incentive with that condition in place.

Otherwise, yeah, I probably would. My suicidality is a byproduct of unwinnable living conditions, many of which would be ameliorated by the acquisition of vampiric powers. Unlike many people, I don't find life boring or pointless. I simply find it too painful. I'm sure I could keep myself busy for a few hundred years. And since stepping out into the sun is always an option, it's not like you're being condemned to eternal life. You're only being condemned to as much time as you want.

I wouldn't kill people, though. That's an absolute no-no. I'd find people willing to share their blood consensually. Or maybe take advantage of evildoers if I had to.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
If I stopped feeling remorse/empathy and became a psychopath I would no longer be me, so it wouldn't be me becoming immortal, it would be someone else. So there's no incentive with that condition in place.
Hm. Interesting. I don't think I wouldn't be me if I had no empathy. I mean there are probably drugs that can do that, or if you get a lobotomy. Or do you mean that your empathy is an essential part of who you are so it would require so much change for that to happen?

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Royally F***ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myosr View Post
Hm. Interesting. I don't think I wouldn't be me if I had no empathy. I mean there are probably drugs that can do that, or if you get a lobotomy. Or do you mean that your empathy is an essential part of who you are so it would require so much change for that to happen?
Well, my mood depends primarily on the mood of the people I interact with. If people are happy, I'm happy. If people are angry, I'm angry. If people are depressed, I'm depressed. I seem to be unusually susceptible to emotional contagion.* If that stopped being the case, I would no longer interact with anyone the way I currently interact with them. The shift would be as dramatic as a very introverted person suddenly becoming very extroverted. I can't even imagine what it would be like not to care about how people feel.

On top of that, being kind and caring and helping people is my fundamental value. I've spent most of my life (on and off, between all the other stuff I have to get done) studying psychotherapeutic techniques because I'd like to develop therapy that works for everyone, not just the people who are already mostly well-adjusted. Most people with serious MH issues are not significantly improved by therapy, and I think a lot of that has to do with the way therapists frame MH issues and their reliance on inadequate techniques.** Alongside that, I have been very interested in finding ways to eliminate prejudice (racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.). As this has been my primary, overriding goal for most of my life, and it is rooted in my empathy, I would lose the rationale for my existence.

So, basically, suddenly losing my empathy would create such a drastic transformation in how I think and feel about the world that I would no longer recognize myself. I would no longer feel like myself. And I would probably find it impossible to understand any of my prior behavior. Frankly, I find the idea of becoming psychopathic horrifying. Far worse than the thought of having to drink blood. If you stop being you then it isn't you becoming immortal. It's one person turning into a different person who lives forever (sort of like reincarnation).

* This is the reason I can't watch the news, or reality TV (secondhand embarrassment), and why I avoid my siblings IRL (who all have serious MH issues). It's a lot easier for me to handle interactions online via text because my mirror neurons are less likely to get hooked.

** As well as the more or less complete apathy our culture has about helping anyone with MH issues which leads to the lack of funding which leads to therapists relying on inadequate techniques.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Barbells and kittens

Definitely. I've always liked vampire fiction. You could always just kill evil doers like Lestat in The Vampire Chronicles or drink pig's blood like Angel or blood bags like Stefan in The Vampire Diaries. Living forever would be great and if it ever became not great you could always step out into the sun.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

@truant

Interesting. I don't think I relate much honestly. I mean I remember having a lot of emotional empathy for the world growing up, but I think I've learned mostly that emotional empathy is not useful, and that being able to help others requires more agency than I have.

I think most of my emotional empathy died away over time, because I see it as a form of selfish self indulgence. I want to cry for the woes of the world, but really it's because it feels good to do so.

I remember writing a poem about a dead little bird I couldn't save as a child (well, a teenager anyway). That was such an emotional moment for me at the time and I cherished that poem so much, and I felt that poem to be a big part of who I was. Now, that memory feels like total cringe & self indulgence. I probably wouldn't feel as any guilt worth mentioning for a random bird now. I donno. I mean if I can't save the damn bird, it doesn't really matter how I feel. It's just useless overhead that does nothing. (and the bird would probably agree, too).

I donno. Maybe I'm already turning into a vamp

I think what you mean by empathy is different than what I'm describing though, because it's not just the emotions but what you can do to help other people I assume.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 04:55 PM
Royally F***ed

@Myosr

Discussions like this are difficult because people have such idiosyncratic ways of experiencing and understanding the world. For example, how I feel or don't feel about empathy as a trait is irrelevant, since I have no control over my feelings. If I feel empathy for another person, I feel empathy for that person, and there is nothing practical I can do to alter that experience of empathy. I can't just "decide" that that feeling is self-indulgent and stop feeling it. I also can't separate that feeling from my desire to help them feel better.

I do not find empathy a pleasant emotion; it is almost always a painful emotion for me. If I do not have the ability to help a person in pain, I experience pain. My desire to ameliorate their pain is motivated in part by my desire to get out of the pain they are making me experience. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "it feels good to do so", unless you mean that experiencing empathy makes me feel like a morally superior person and I am deriving self-esteem benefits through self-reflection and comparison. I do not consider myself a better person for experiencing empathy, just as I don't consider myself a better person for being particularly sensitive to the cold or for getting migraines or for having social anxiety. I am not responsible for the empathy I feel, it's just something that happens to me. I also do not enjoy sadness or melancholia (if that's what you were getting at). I do everything I can to avoid those kinds of emotions.

I could argue (to play devil's advocate) that people who don't feel empathy have taken the "easy", "self-indulgent" way out of experiencing the kind of pain I experience and are deriving pleasure from the thought of their own intellectual or moral superiority to people like me (ie. believing that they are less sentimental, more realistic, more rational, less selfish, etc.). But I'm a determinist and I don't primarily think in those terms. Whether some people derive self-esteem benefits from the way they rationalize their own behaviors is secondary to the need for defensive formations in the first place. People develop different ways of coping with the psychological pain they experience. For some people, that takes the form of ameliorating the pain of others; for others, it takes the form of avoiding or repressing that pain (frequently by "blaming the victim"). People are not responsible for the particular defensive formations they develop. Those are a product of circumstance. Which we then rationalize after the fact as the "right" way to behave.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page