Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Are you a homebody or do you love the outdoors?

6K views 53 replies 38 participants last post by  WillYouStopDave 
#1 ·
Are you a homebody or do you love the outdoors?

Personally I am 50/50. I love being home and relaxing just reading, listening to music, watching great movies, messing around online. But I also love the outdoors, love hiking, being in the woods, just going for a walk or run, love the different seasons and beautiful sunny blue days.

I've been stuck indoors for so long due to damn Covid-19 I'm seriously starting to jones some outdoor time but still feel like its too risky to spend much time outdoors where I could run into someone who is sick.

#2 ·
There's no risk outdoors if you have any wide, uncrowded trails. Minimal risk even if you encounter people on a narrow trail, because outdoors is much less risky than indoors plus the amount of time you're in breathing range of any particular person is very short.

I hike maybe 2 or 3 times a week, maybe a short neighborhood walk another day or two, but the rest of the time I'm home because (pandemic or no) I don't really have any non-hiking away from home activities.

#20 ·
Yah that's the problem though, no wide uncrowded trails. All the ones in close proximity are narrow and heavily traveled. I'm afraid of someone who's sick squeezing by me on a trail, breathing heavily, then I get their droplets on my face or hands and touch my face by accident or something and there we go I'm infected. I have a lot going on right now so I can't really afford to get sick. I'm taking every precaution I can think of to prevent getting sick, the last thing I need to to spend 2 weeks or more sick.

What kind of hiking do you do? Just in the woods or in the mountains or hills? I hit the mountains when I can but usually just in the woods. I also used to walk / run every AM around the 'hood but can't do that anymore thanks to Crapvid-19

I'd say 50/50 as well. I like doing outdoor activities, but a lot of times have trouble getting the energy to leave my house. Also hate mosquitoes, but they aren't bad yet.
Worse than the mosquitoes are the damn black flies. Not sure if you guys get those around there but they're so annoying. They swarm and bite you relentlessly.

Why do you lack energy? Insomnia or depression? I also lack energy but just force myself. I find that once I get going and my heart is pumping i'm fine no matter how tired I feel beforehand. I think the body starts pumping adrenaline and wakes you up. I've started out on hikes just wanting to lay down and nap and within 30 mins of hiking up the trail I'm wide awake and alert and got my head in the game.

I like being out but I have no one to be out with. I find it embarrassing to go out alone so often especially in a small town. Worried people are starting to feel sorry for me.
I don't either but I just go anyway. Don't want to forego things I love and the natural beauty of the outdoors just because others are judging me. F them. It can be a bit embarrassing when I'm hiking up a trail and everyone else I walk by on the way up is with someone else but whatever. Life is too short to give a ****.

I'm more of a homebody though it's nice to walk in nature once in a while and take hundreds of pictures of trees. I'd probably go walking more often (I'm fat and out of shape but I can walk a good long while if I wish) if I had somebody to walk with. I feel rather dumb walking alone. :sigh

Walking is it, though. No jogging, no swimming (don't know how), no paddling, no camping, no carrying huge backpacks, no climbing, I can manage to hike somewhat but nothing really steep or hugely strenuous because like I said I'm fat and I have a hernia and heights scare me.
Oh I love taking pics too! Here are a couple of mine feel free to share yours too!

Hiking up hill isn't too hard, even if you are out of shape. You just need to do a little at a time, baby steps. Just go an extra quarter of a mile or half a mile on every other trip and your body will adjust and its great exercise.

Homebody for sure. I can go on a walk every once in a long while but I don't have to. There is nothing for me out there.
Where do you walk? There doesn't have to be anything out there, the walk or run or hike is an end in itself.

I am an outdoor homebody. Love being outdoors, but in exclusion and alone (unless companions are 4 legged).

Being home all day usually triggers my depression more often than not.
Same for me..I think it would be difficult hiking or whatever and trying to socialize at the same time. I love hitting the mountains on off days during the week in winter when I have the whole mountain to myself. Not that safe but amazing to be the only one around for miles.

Being home for too long also makes me depressed, I need to get out into the natural world to recharge.

#3 ·
I'd say 50/50 as well. I like doing outdoor activities, but a lot of times have trouble getting the energy to leave my house. Also hate mosquitoes, but they aren't bad yet.

Have gone out quite a few times this year despite covid. Not sure how much of an option it is for you, but I try to pick places with very few people. Has been hard because people are out more than usual. Places that I used to think of not having much activity now have full parking lots. Two best places I've found have been state games areas that have a road going through a marsh. At the one place encountered no one and at the other saw one other person each time I went there. Walking a gravel road is kind of boring but being that both go through marshes there has been a nice amount of wildlife(snakes, turtles, birds, etc).

For the most part I've been just walking our regular trails with my dad at places we think won't be super popular. There was one place we liked to walk, but the parking lot has been full the last couple of times we checked. Another place we used to go was in the next county, but my dad doesn't want to go because the covid cases are 5 times worse there(when adjusted for the population difference).

Debating going kayaking soon, but don't have a good vehicle to transport it any more.

#6 ·
I'm more of a homebody though it's nice to walk in nature once in a while and take hundreds of pictures of trees. I'd probably go walking more often (I'm fat and out of shape but I can walk a good long while if I wish) if I had somebody to walk with. I feel rather dumb walking alone. :sigh

Walking is it, though. No jogging, no swimming (don't know how), no paddling, no camping, no carrying huge backpacks, no climbing, I can manage to hike somewhat but nothing really steep or hugely strenuous because like I said I'm fat and I have a hernia and heights scare me.

#7 ·
I'm a home body & my home is in the outdoors.

#12 ·
Send me your spiders, I will give them homes.

...I frequently greet and chat a bit with the spiders I find lurking in our corners and windows. "Oh hello, you're new." "Wow, you're a big one!" "Good luck catching something." "Spideys vacate! I'm going to use the tub now!" "Oh no, you're an outdoor spider, what are you doing in here?" "Why did you have to build a web there? That's a stupid spot, you know?"

This is probably rather weird and pathetic of me. :serious:

#15 ·
I stay home enough time so that the neighbor once exclaimed "Good to see you after so long!" :|

#18 ·
I know the feeling. I have a neighbor that we've had issues with but still feels the need to come over and talk to me. Most of the time it has been to tell me he thinks I'm doing something wrong with my yard and act like he is helping. My partner has also reported them for their dog being out barking constantly. I personally don't care much(I like dogs), but since they never see her my neighbor and his wife confront me. I've been yelled at by his wife multiple times. Should mention he was bugging me about my yard before my partner started reporting his dog.

I just don't feel comfortable spending anytime in my yard. Would like to have a garden and be able to grill. Have to do that stuff at my dad's house, but even there I'm nervous if his neighbors are out. Have to mow today but I dread it because I have anxiety that I'm going to have a run in with my neighbor or his wife. Would love to live in a wooded area or farm area where I don't have neighbors so close.

#19 ·
I really like the outdoors, but I don't seem to be willing to travel to get there as frequently as I would like. So I go to local trails and parks mostly for exercise purposes because they're easy, but anything that requires me to drive several hours seems to be an obstacle that I'm not willing to transverse even though it might force me out of ruts and refresh my mind. I seem to get invigorated and lighter after spending time in nature, but my laziness seems to pull me towards chairs and my bed where I don't actually have to put forth any effort.

#28 ·
@either/or I just started trying to climb some real mountain peaks in the last year or two, Round Top is the tallest so far at 10,381'. Most of my hiking in the mountains isn't peaks, usually waterfalls and lakes.

Only time I've been on a tiny part of the John Muir trail was long ago at Yosemite, it's pretty far south of me. Backpacking doesn't really appeal to me, just day hikes (or night hikes, I guess... I wouldn't do a bouldery mountain at night either, but hills are fine).

#30 ·
Oh wow that's tall, do you know how much elevation gain? The tallest mountains I usually hike are between 5-6 thousand feet but elevation gain is usually 3-4 thousand feet.

Do you hike the hills at night like in the pitch black dark? Do you just use a headlamp? I'd still be nervous to hike at night alone even if it were just hills.

#29 ·
I'm a bit of both. I love the outdoors as long as there aren't a ton of people around. I'm actually building up a 4x4 overlanding vehicle for just such activities.

At home I enjoy gardening, cooking, working on my car, and snuggling with my baby of course.

I get very anxious if I don't always have some hobby that I'm working on.

#31 ·
I’m not an outdoorsmen, put out in the wild with some supplies & I might last a while but a while always passes.

I do like nature though, long walks, long bike rides, sitting by bodies of water when nobody is around, watching the clouds, walking/cycling in the rain, quading, snowmobiling, camp fires, etc

I react horribly to mosquito bites & bugs in general though & have some allergies & asthma as well though so has to be balanced

#32 · (Edited)
I've never been a huge fan of the outdoors - I'd much rather be inside with my books and a big television. I like controlled environments - I like parks if they're well maintained and fairly small, and beaches if there are people around and even better a hotel/shops nearby. Then I'm happy to go for walks in the early morning and again in the late afternoon. Otherwise - forget it.

#33 ·
Definitely outdoors. But I am more of a homebody because I usually don't have an excuse or opportunities that will motivate me to be outdoors too much. Although I think I am better at this the older I got, when I become more comfortable being outdoors alone. When I was younger, I panic at the idea off other seeing me out and about alone, thinking I will be seen as strange for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.