Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Medication (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Xanax better than Klonopin? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f30/xanax-better-than-klonopin-2234733/)

kcauley12 07-30-2020 05:48 PM

Xanax better than Klonopin?

So when I was on Xanax I was taking .5 x2/day and it worked great. That was when I was on Nardil too.

Fast forward, I’m now on Zoloft 150mg, Nortriptyline 50mg, and Klonopin .5 x2/day.

Seems to me like Klonopin has VERY delayed onset. It takes maybe 90 minutes to kick in and only lasts 4 hours. When I was taking Xanax it would hit hard within 30 minutes and last 2-3 hours.

Do you think the Xanax was working better because I was taking Nardil as well?

either/or 07-30-2020 06:28 PM

I've only ever taken Xanax and just in small does for when I have to do presentations or something. If I take too much like more than .25 MG it makes me want to go lay down and pass out. But I will say it takes last least an hour to hit me. And then another hour to peak It even seems to take a while when I take it sublingually. And it only lasts like 2 hours.

Are you taking it on an empty stomach? Or sublingual? Or other?

kcauley12 07-31-2020 08:20 AM

I normally take Klonopin on an empty stomach. I don’t let it dissolve under my tongue either. I’ll just take it was some water.

I know Xanax it’s you harder and Klonopin lasts longer throughout the day. It’s frustrating because I wish Klonopin could hit as hard a Xanax but also last for a long time.

CopadoMexicano 07-31-2020 08:28 AM

xanax i remember asking my private psychiatrist for it and declined at the time he had me on clonazepam. he told me i dont want you to get addicted to it. I think ive gotten tolerant to it after taking it for fourteen years consistently. Xanax i believe is more potent is relieving anxiety and panic attacks/panic disorder much quicker then klonopin.

Ben12 07-31-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcauley12 (Post 1093987775)
So when I was on Xanax I was taking .5 x2/day and it worked great. That was when I was on Nardil too.

Fast forward, Im now on Zoloft 150mg, Nortriptyline 50mg, and Klonopin .5 x2/day.

Seems to me like Klonopin has VERY delayed onset. It takes maybe 90 minutes to kick in and only lasts 4 hours. When I was taking Xanax it would hit hard within 30 minutes and last 2-3 hours.

Do you think the Xanax was working better because I was taking Nardil as well?

Xanax kicks in faster than klonopin does. It probably did work better for you while you were on the Nardil. That wouldn't surprise me. Just curious but what made you want to quit the nardil?

Xanax is definitely more effective for panic attacks when your having one in the moment. However it is feared by clinicians and for good reason because coming off of it can be quite hard. Klonopin takes longer to kick in but it should work longer than 4 hours when it does kick in. You are on a pathetically low dose of klonopin. Quite frankly I'm surprised you are feeling it as much as you are.

kcauley12 07-31-2020 12:02 PM

When I was on Nardil the magical dose was 60mg. But at that dose I could NOT orgasm... and my wife and I were trying for a baby. We decided to lower the dose to 45mg and keep trying. Well, we finally got pregnant, and she’s due very soon.

The down side is that the same month that we found out she was pregnant, I got fired from my job. With no insurance, Nardil was going to be about $60/month with the GoodRX app. I decided to just come off of it.

I tried to go back on the Nardil but my psychiatrist but he wanted to go SSRI route. Now here I am. Jobless, baby on the way, suffering. Praying everyday that now how I’ll make it.

either/or 07-31-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcauley12 (Post 1093988141)
I normally take Klonopin on an empty stomach. I don’t let it dissolve under my tongue either. I’ll just take it was some water.

I know Xanax it’s you harder and Klonopin lasts longer throughout the day. It’s frustrating because I wish Klonopin could hit as hard a Xanax but also last for a long time.

Empty stomach or sublingual is key to feeling the effects as soon as possible. Sounds like you're already doing that. Maybe ask your doctor bout Xanax XR? That might due the trick.

CopingStrong 08-15-2020 06:23 AM

Klonopin lasts practically all day (6-8hrs) and doesnt hit you all at once! Xanax is more of an I need help immediately type benzo. Plus, you build up a tolerance. VERY fast because it leaves your system quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben12 08-15-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcauley12 (Post 1093988267)
When I was on Nardil the magical dose was 60mg. But at that dose I could NOT orgasm... and my wife and I were trying for a baby. We decided to lower the dose to 45mg and keep trying. Well, we finally got pregnant, and she’s due very soon.

The down side is that the same month that we found out she was pregnant, I got fired from my job. With no insurance, Nardil was going to be about $60/month with the GoodRX app. I decided to just come off of it.

I tried to go back on the Nardil but my psychiatrist but he wanted to go SSRI route. Now here I am. Jobless, baby on the way, suffering. Praying everyday that now how I’ll make it.

So I was re-reading this post and I wanted to add some extra input.

There is another MAOI called Parnate which is very effective. It's considered to have less side effects than Nardil. I point this out because if you are trying to have a baby and you've also benefited from Nardil which is an MAOI, parnate is definitely worth considering.

I hate to see a situation like this where a medication being Nardil which increases many other neurotransmitters be replaced by a medication that only increases serotonin. If a doctor isn't willing to match the efficacy of a previous medication because they're in lala land thinking that SSRI monotherapy is just as good, they're on their high horse.

Unfortunately Nardil is globally being shorted. At least according to the latest news that I've updated myself on. Essentially whats going on is the manufacturers who produce Nardil have stopped developing it due to co-vid19. I learned this from a doctor Ken Gilman who is trying to raise awareness of this shortage and how we need production of Nardil to resume. So if your doctor didn't mention any reasoning as to not re-administering the treatment of Nardil, that is likely one of the reasons.

Also I want to add another point which I think is important. If it does turn out that your doctor is afraid of MAOI's because your doctor is of the belief that they are too dangerous, don't get suckered into a medication called Moclobemide. Moclobemide may not be available in your country since it's only available in Canada and Australia last I checked. Moclobemide is a reversible MAO - A inhibitor. Since it is reversible, you don't need to worry about the dietary restrictions. Therefore it is the safer choice if ever you see a doctor that is unwilling to trial a true MAOI.

Since you're on an SSRI, your brain is becoming used to the antidepressant benefits from that particular mechanism of action. What the research has shown is that Moclobemide doesn't help avoid the avoidance of the withdrawal effects of discontinuing an SSRI. So if a doctor ever presents such an option, respond with an emphasis on trying either Parnate or Nardil. Both of those are the more effective antidepressants. Moclobemide is not that effective.

Best of luck. I hope that this additional information is helpful. I can link you to where I got my information as well if you're ever interested.

SteveOReno 08-17-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben12 (Post 1093998633)
So I was re-reading this post and I wanted to add some extra input.

There is another MAOI called Parnate which is very effective. It's considered to have less side effects than Nardil. I point this out because if you are trying to have a baby and you've also benefited from Nardil which is an MAOI, parnate is definitely worth considering.

I hate to see a situation like this where a medication being Nardil which increases many other neurotransmitters be replaced by a medication that only increases serotonin. If a doctor isn't willing to match the efficacy of a previous medication because they're in lala land thinking that SSRI monotherapy is just as good, they're on their high horse.

Unfortunately Nardil is globally being shorted. At least according to the latest news that I've updated myself on. Essentially whats going on is the manufacturers who produce Nardil have stopped developing it due to co-vid19. I learned this from a doctor Ken Gilman who is trying to raise awareness of this shortage and how we need production of Nardil to resume. So if your doctor didn't mention any reasoning as to not re-administering the treatment of Nardil, that is likely one of the reasons.

Also I want to add another point which I think is important. If it does turn out that your doctor is afraid of MAOI's because your doctor is of the belief that they are too dangerous, don't get suckered into a medication called Moclobemide. Moclobemide may not be available in your country since it's only available in Canada and Australia last I checked. Moclobemide is a reversible MAO - A inhibitor. Since it is reversible, you don't need to worry about the dietary restrictions. Therefore it is the safer choice if ever you see a doctor that is unwilling to trial a true MAOI.

Since you're on an SSRI, your brain is becoming used to the antidepressant benefits from that particular mechanism of action. What the research has shown is that Moclobemide doesn't help avoid the avoidance of the withdrawal effects of discontinuing an SSRI. So if a doctor ever presents such an option, respond with an emphasis on trying either Parnate or Nardil. Both of those are the more effective antidepressants. Moclobemide is not that effective.

Best of luck. I hope that this additional information is helpful. I can link you to where I got my information as well if you're ever interested.

The reason manufacturers are stopping making Nardil is because demand is dropping. If they could make good profits selling Nardil, they would make tons of it. The Covid-19 pandemic has nothing to do with it.

The combination of an SSRI with a Benzo, or a Norepinephrine booster, has fewer side effects than Nardil or Parnate, and it works better for most people. And if it works, Doctors will prescribe it. If you think that all Doctors are in a conspiracy to not prescribe Nardil because it works best, you are crazy.

The answer to the original question "Do you think the Xanax was working better because I was taking Nardil as well", is YES. Nardil boosts GABA similarly to Xanax

SSRIManiac 09-04-2020 11:46 PM

Possibly a Nardil correlation but unlikely. The benzos themselves don't have a really good crossing effect that are "somatically" noticeable. Not that they are cross tolerant, but when going from a faster shorter duration drug to a longer medication you may feel sluggish for the first few days/weeks.

Can't really say one is better than another, it depends on the person and what they like. Good luck.