We NEED to raise awareness for Cannabidiol (CBD) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

We NEED to raise awareness for Cannabidiol (CBD)

I suffer from paranoid schizoprenia. In 2002 I took a clinical study where I was put on pure Cannabidiol to to test it's effects on Schizoprenia. It worked great as an anti-psychotic, but what really fascinated me was that after taking the supplements for about a week my social phobia and anxiety were gone completely! For the first time in my life, I felt what I believe is how all normal people (without social anxiety/phobia) feel like.

It is my belief that the reason so many humans suffer from anxiety is due to a lack of Cannabidiol in the brain. The facts can't be anymore obvious. More and more studies are surfacing showing that our entire body has a huge intricate Cannabidiol system implemented.

My guess is that for millions of years, animals and humans consumed Cannabidiol rich fruits and plants that are now extinct. Cannabis is the only remaining Cannabidiol producing plant. Cannabidiol is not psychoactive or psychedelic drug, it has no cognitive effects as it's counterpart Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and can be used daily as an anxiolytic or anticonvulsant with no bad side effects or cognitive defects that benzodiazepines cause!

I'm posting here today to ask you guys to help me get the word out on this miraculous drug so we can get the laws changed and have Cannabidiol in production ASAP. Then we will finally be able to live our life the way God or the Universe intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:07 AM
SAS Member

Do you respond well to normal weed?
post #3 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Cheesus

Anandamide released after steady jogging for 20-30 minutes targets the same receptors and acts much in the same way. This is what's called the Runners High.

post #4 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 AM
SAS Member

My social anxiety used to get a lot worse after having smoked weed. Worse than after high doses of caffeine even. Am I missing something here?
post #5 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Cheesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
My social anxiety used to get a lot worse after having smoked weed. Worse than after high doses of caffeine even. Am I missing something here?
Ugh Marijuana is horrible for anxiety. I used to freak out on that ****. But I still continued to use it daily, how odd. Anyways, I wouldn't even trust cannabidiol on its own without THC or any of the other compounds in marijuana. Now Anandamide I trust 100% as this is what our own body creates and it binds to similar receptors.

Quote:
Researchers Discover Function for Brain's Marijuana-Like Compound

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Researchers, funded in part by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) of
the National Institutes of Health, have discovered a function for a natural
compound in the brain that is chemically similar to the active ingredient in
marijuana. This finding may lead to the development of new medications for
treating a wide variety of disorders.

Scientists have known since 1992 that the brain contains a compound that binds
to the same sites in the brain as delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the
active ingredient in marijuana. Evidence accumulated that this compound called
anandamide, inhibited movement when administered to laboratory animals. Now,
researchers at the University of California at Irvine; The Scripps Research
Institute in La Jolla, California; and Universidad Complutense in Spain; have
determined that anandamide inhibits movement by counteracting another brain
chemical called dopamine.

"This study of anandamide function in the brain is an example of how research
on drug abuse can lead to possible treatments for seemingly unrelated
diseases," says NIDA Director Dr. Alan I. Leshner. "Abnormalities in the
dopamine system in the brain are thought to play a major role in several
neurological and psychiatric disorders, as well as in drug addiction, so new
medications that can counteract these abnormalities might prove useful in
treating more than one disease."

The Scripps' researchers postulate that "anandamide and dopamine act in
opposite ways to control movements in an area of the brain called the dorsal
striatum." Dr. Andrea Giuffrida of the University of California at Irvine
explains that, "Dopamine stimulates movements by acting in this area, and
anandamide normally inhibits this action of dopamine."

Determining that anandamide can counteract dopamine may prove useful in the
development of medications for treating diseases that seem to involve dopamine
inbalances in the brain, suggests Dr. Giuffrida. Some diseases may be caused by
too much dopamine in certain brain regions, or perhaps hypersensitivity of
brain sites targeted by dopamine. These diseases include schizophrenia and
Gilles de la Tourette syndrome, which is characterized by facial tics,
repeating of words and phrases, and uncontrollable shouting of obscenities.
In
these diseases, medications that mimic anandamide might reduce symptoms by
dampening dopamine overactivity.

On the other hand, medications that block anandamide action in the brain may
prove useful in diseases that seem to involve too little dopamine in certain
brain regions or hyposensitivity of dopamine targets, he says. These diseases
include drug addiction and Parkinson's disease, a movement disorder.

In the study, Dr. Giuffrida and his colleagues first determined that
stimulating the nerve cells in the dorsal striatum, which is involved in
movement control, caused the nerve cells to release anandamide. This indicated
that anandamide, like dopamine, is one of the messenger chemicals that nerve
cells in the brain use for communicating with each other, according to the
scientists.

The investigators then administered a dopamine-like drug called quinpirole into
the dorsal striatum, which caused the anandamide level in this area to jump
eightfold. This indicated that dopamine stimulates nerve cells in the dorsal
striatum that release anandamide.

Finally, the researchers looked at the effects of a compound that blocks
anandamide function on movements induced by quinpirole. After an hour,
quinpirole by itself caused the rats to move around their cage more and engage
in activities, such as sniffing, with greater frequency. However, pretreating
the rats with the anandamide blocker caused the rats to move around the cage
and sniff even more than they did with just quinpirole. This indicated that, in
the dorsal striatum, anandamide ordinarily inhibits dopamine's stimulatory
effect on movements, says Dr. Giuffrida. Administering the anandamide blocker
removed this inhibitory control, thereby allowing the dopamine-mimicking drug,
quinpirole, to stimulate movement even more than usual.

This study will be published in the April issue of Nature Neuroscience.

NIDA supports more than 85 percent of the world's research on the health
aspects of drug abuse and addiction. The Institute also carries out a large
variety of programs to ensure the rapid dissemination of research information
and its implementation in policy and practice. Fact sheets on health effects of
drugs of abuse and other topics can be ordered free of charge in English and
Spanish, by calling NIDA Infofax at 1-888-NIH-NIDA (-644-6432) or
1-888-TTY-NIDA (-889-6432) for the deaf. These fact sheets and further
information on NIDA research and other activities can be found on the NIDA home
page at http://www.nida.nih.gov/.
This is why my social anxiety is usually eliminated when I get the runners high. Dopamine is good in some regions of the brain, bad in others. This is why you can't simply take a drug that works on the dopamine transporter system and assume it will cure your problems. Anandamide however seems to target only specific areas. Marijuana on the other hand can increase dopamine in areas that will cause paranoia and anxiety.
post #6 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 AM
SAS Member

Interesting post Cannabidiol. I think a few people replying here didn't understand what you were talking about which is cannabidiol (CBD) and not weed which has nothing to do with your post since weed is mostly THC. It's nearly impossible to find weed without THC in places like western Canada and California (they're generally about 20% THC and 0-2% CBD), you'd think with the medical MJ situation someone would be producing these CBD-rich plants.

The CBD is known to reduce the social isolation induced by THC and the research groups given CBD only actually had improved social interaction vs. placebo.

It is legal in my current location to produce such a product (perhaps an extracted CBD pill from a plant with no THC), but I don't know if it'd be very profitable because the MMJ market is dominated by stoners and very few of the profit really comes from the real medical users. I've heard of some pharmacological activity of cannabidiol such as agonism of the 5-HT1a receptor and anti-cancer activity as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabidiol View Post

I suffer from paranoid schizoprenia. In 2002 I took a clinical study where I was put on pure Cannabidiol to to test it's effects on Schizoprenia. It worked great as an anti-psychotic, but what really fascinated me was that after taking the supplements for about a week my social phobia and anxiety were gone completely! For the first time in my life, I felt what I believe is how all normal people (without social anxiety/phobia) feel like.

It is my belief that the reason so many humans suffer from anxiety is due to a lack of Cannabidiol in the brain. The facts can't be anymore obvious. More and more studies are surfacing showing that our entire body has a huge intricate Cannabidiol system implemented.

My guess is that for millions of years, animals and humans consumed Cannabidiol rich fruits and plants that are now extinct. Cannabis is the only remaining Cannabidiol producing plant. Cannabidiol is not psychoactive or psychedelic drug, it has no cognitive effects as it's counterpart Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and can be used daily as an anxiolytic or anticonvulsant with no bad side effects or cognitive defects that benzodiazepines cause!

I'm posting here today to ask you guys to help me get the word out on this miraculous drug so we can get the laws changed and have Cannabidiol in production ASAP. Then we will finally be able to live our life the way God or the Universe intended.
post #7 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

You're right about how promising it is as a treatment for anxiety and schizophrenia etc. The really medicinal, sleepy, CBD-rich indica varieties of weed have a very unique way of reducing stress, but the pure chemical sounds much better. In what ways did it change how you felt?

I recently tried a cannabinoid research chemical which is different to most the others in being selective at the CB2 receptor and barely hitting CB1 at all. It felt sort of like what weed would if you took out all the anxiety and intense mental effects and left the sleepy contentedness with life. Maybe that's what pure CBD feels like?

It looks benign enough to be produced and sold as a supplement (like theanine is) or as a pharmaceutical, but then they'd probably try and modify it slightly to sell on patent.

post #8 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 03:14 PM
SAS Member

RE: anandamide

It used to say on wikipedia that there was anandamide in chocolate but it no longer does say that so I assume this was never actually proven. But saying that, raw chocolate is still one of the very few things that I have tried that sorts out a lot of my schizo symptons all at once. It eliminates my depression, gets rid of OCD, no anxiety and improves cognition. It has an opiate type feel to it but that could definitely be down to any one of its compounds not necessarily anandamide (which might not even be in it). I can't really ask for much more from it, but unfortunately daily use buillds sufficient tolerance.

All this talk about cannabidiol is very interesting though. I just wish it was aquirable.
post #9 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
We Are All Made Of Stars

So how does one get ones hands on this CBD?
post #10 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollygoggles View Post
So how does one get ones hands on this CBD?
learn enough chemistry to synthesize it. Participate in a study using it. Or find out who manufactures it and rob them. I don't know of any available research chemicals that are close analogues to CBD.
post #11 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 AM
SAS Member

Have a look at the R4 strain
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...ins.php?page=2

Someone got lucky with that one.
post #12 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
Ah yes, I shall clarify this sitch here. The CBD sort of controls the insane paranoia that some people get from weed.

I read of a study where 1 group got pure THC and they were anxious as all hell and paranoid too. The other group was given THC and CBD and they were just really baked.

I agree that CBD, not THC, would be an excellent anti anxiety drug. Its only mildly psychoactive compared to THC so it could be a good med.

I find weed even with high THC content to be anxiety reducing. I have a high tolerance though....lol
post #13 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 AM
SAS Member

Learning something new every day
post #14 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I would compare pure CBD to the relaxing feeling and easy going attitude you experience under the influence of alcohol minus the intoxicated feeling. It doesn't feel like an actual high although it does produce a mild sedative effect (at 600mg) which your body gets tolerant to slowly (kinda like to anti-psychotics if anyone has ever tried those). I was only given 600mg a day but was told that humans can tolerate up to 1500mg a day. I guess anything above 1500mg produces some sort of high.

I've been on everything under the sun from anti-psychotics, antidepressants, benzos, anti-seizure meds, etc, and nothing actually treated the social anxiety. Benzos calmed my nerves but they did little to help me with social interaction.

After about a week on Cannabidiol, the most notable changes I recall were the feelings of always being stared at in public and always feeling embarrassed around people for no damn reason were both completely gone. It was such a relief for a change. I found that I was a lot more at ease when approached by strangers and didn't get all sweaty and nervous and lost in my thoughts anymore. Sleep is AMAZING, I slept like a log. For about 3 weeks I felt like I was finally living, then the symptoms slowly came back

Apart from feeling sedated and sleepy there were no obvious side effects to report. I thought I would get the "munchies" but that was absent as well, I guess that comes from the THC as well.

Also I don't recommend anyone use regular Cannabis as that will cause more harm then good for social anxiety.
post #15 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

We need a CBD medication.

Certain people (such as myself) who suffer from mental illness such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and even ADHD cannot use regular cannabis as we are sensitive to the THC. Mainly because THC seems to cause or increases psychotic symptoms as well as stress and anxiety. Stress and anxiety seem to play a major role in exacerbating nearly all forms of mental illness.

THC makes Anxiety / Social Anxiety worse.
THC makes Schizophrenic sufferers psychotic.
THC makes Bipolar sufferers angry and irritable
THC makes ADHD sufferers hyperactive, causes racing thoughts and insomnia.
I'm not sure what THC does to Epilepsy and Depression sufferers but it's probably negative as well.
The only thing THC is good for is for multiple sclerosis.

CBD works as an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) medication.
CBD works as an anti-psychotic (the medication used by Schizophrenics and Bipolar patients).
CBD works as an anti-depressant.
CBD works at increasing alertness and attention for sufferers of ADHD.
CBD works as an anticonvulsant (for Epilepsy patients).
CBD slows down cancer cell growth.

And the list goes on..

All this information is straight from the Cannabidiol Wikipedia and is evidence from various clinical trials.

It is clear to me that a CBD-only medication would be a godsend for probably 99% of people in the world as we may be able to use it's medicinal benefits in place of harmful anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, benzodiazepines (anti-anxiety medication), and anticonvulsants.

All current medications used to treat mental illness have dozens upon dozens of side effects, many of them deadly and irreversible.
There is no side effects from CBD besides a sedated feeling which goes away completely after several weeks of taking the medicine.

It is my strong belief that pharmacological companies or the government knows that this missing link is the cure to all mental illness and they purposely keep it illegal so we continue to pay big money for dangerous synthetic drugs which cause dozens of side effects that we have to take even more dangerous synthetic drugs to control. Don't believe me? Go to any schizophrenia, bipolar, or ADHD community forum and look at the users signatures under their posts. A lot of the users post lists of what medications they are currently on and most of them are on 8-10 different medications. It's madness and inhumane.

The government here in the United States decided to legalize Cannabis in a few states because they didn't realize that dispensaries would start selling CBD rich cannabis strains. Once dispensaries started doing that the government started the busts and shut downs. They thought everyone just wanted to smoke cannabis to get high which requires THC, god forbid all of this ^ gets out into the public.
post #16 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 PM
SAS Member

There's plenty of awareness for medicinal weed and cannabis derived medicines. It's just lobbyists will do everything in their power to block the entrance of this (pharma/smoking companies).

Canada would never legalize cannabis without the US doing so first. It would create massive smuggling issues. And the US is completely controlled by lobbyists as are most governments. So, I don't see how this ever would fly.

The only way this can happen is if money didn't influence politics, but it does and unfortunately that creates issues like these.

Plus I'm way too lazy and unmotivated being depressed to really even care about another form of treatment that might not work. You are selling me the same fairy tale as big pharma is. The idea that I can feel normal again based on a "promise." Unless I went to one of these trials, I just don't have incentive to raise "awareness."
post #17 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Going to war

People have been using cannabis since the dawn of time it funny how only a hundard years ago it became illegal diffidently there a hidden adgenda to it to be illegal did they even have a mass public vote too decide it should be illegal? Or was it only a handful of people decising these things? Alcohol can kill ya from withdraws and that legal smoking causes cancer and that still legel boggles my mind at least cannabis make you feel good and can reduce tension it only natural god put that plant on this planet for a reason so we can get high cannabis can save lifes.

Lot's of people can't smoke weed cause there brain was made dysfunctional from taking antidepressant in the first place or other drugs.
post #18 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Permanently Banned

Since cannabis is a C-I drug, drug companies would have to come up with a synthetic CBD. They've produced Marinol, which is synthetic THC. But due to stupid government regulation the cannabis plant can not be used legally under federal law. So any CBD drug would have to be completely synthetic, highly regulated, expensive and probably not work like the CBD that naturally occurs in the cannabis plant. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of politics, lobbying, etc. etc. involved which we are pretty much powerless to, making this all little more than a pipe dream.
post #19 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotAnxiety View Post
People have been using cannabis since the dawn of time it funny how only a hundard years ago it became illegal diffidently there a hidden adgenda to it to be illegal did they even have a mass public vote too decide it should be illegal? Or was it only a handful of people decising these things? Alcohol can kill ya from withdraws and that legal smoking causes cancer and that still legel boggles my mind at least cannabis make you feel good and can reduce tension it only natural god put that plant on this planet for a reason so we can get high cannabis can save lifes.

Lot's of people can't smoke weed cause there brain was made dysfunctional from taking antidepressant in the first place or other drugs.
Cannabis was made illegal in the '40's by politicians who used racial propaganda to demonize the drug. The government sold illegalization by brainwashing the people into fearing the lazy stoned Mexican, or the deranged psychotic pot-fiend.
post #20 of 194 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 PM
smf
SAS Member

Quote:

This is great. I suffer from schizoprenia would love to see what this does to me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page