Suicidely depressed after kicking lyrica (pregabalin) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
VIP

Suicidely depressed after kicking lyrica (pregabalin)

So I've been on and off of it until enough was enough and under doc's supervision I've "detoxed" from it.
The problem I'm facing right now however is that I've became extremely depressed. I know that with time this will get better, but oh well you know... I live in the present and not in the future, and right now it's ****ing unbearable.

I'm currently on valium, serquel and mirtazapine and still feeling the exact opposite of euphoria - anhedonia, hopelessness, no satisfaction or joy...

My next appointment will be in a few days, but I'm not really sure what to even tell my therapist at this point as on paper it all seems good and all not taking pregabalin anymore and from the doc's perspective I guess he sees this as I need to "tough it out" now. However at this point I dare to say it IS too ****ing hard.

But what are my options though? I have a bit history of not exactly listening to the docs so I can't afford to screw with him this time but I can't afford to feel this way either.

Reabilitation center? This looks like an option but my family does need me and I've caused enough harm to them as it is. Seriously I should be supporting them and building myself at this point rather than dragging them down at this low point of my life.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 08:32 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
On the very least, make sure to tell your doctor clearly and openly your feelings on this, so he/she can evaluate it fully. (Ofc can't say if it will help but..)

Quote:
Reabilitation center? This looks like an option but my family does need me and I've caused enough harm to them as it is. Seriously I should be supporting them and building myself at this point rather than dragging them down at this low point of my life.
You need to take care of yourself first, before you can take care of others. So do what's best for you, because if you aren't alright yourself, it won't be much use doing things for others.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:11 PM
I am Jack's cold sweat

How did you detox from it? You need to taper off very slowly. I was on Gabapentin for anxiety and quit cold turkey and didn't taper and had terrible anxiety attacks and insomnia for a month afterwards.

I've been out haunting the neighborhood
And everybody can see I'm no good
When I'm walking out between parked cars
With my head full of stars

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
How did you detox from it? You need to taper off very slowly. I was on Gabapentin for anxiety and quit cold turkey and didn't taper and had terrible anxiety attacks and insomnia for a month afterwards.
I've started experiencing wd's while still taking it, so slow taper was not an option. It was a semi-rapid taper followed by 2 weeks in the detox facility making sure I wasn't experiencing too severe of the symptoms. They switched me to 300-600mg gabapentin first and then off from it. I don't have insomnia and anxiety I would say is mainly powered by the depression. So I can somewhat still function and from the 3rd person view I look alright (can eat, can sleep, can hold conversation, little to no physical wd symptoms). But that cloud of hopelessness and feeling that something is missing to enjoy life is still lingering and very very hard to deal with.

I wasn't like that even before starting addressing mental health issues and it's not like I'm in a vicious cycle either. I can force myself to do things yet still those feelings creep onto me in situations and surroundings where I've used to be able to relax or at least feel content.

So I guess the worst part is indeed that there is no way I'm aware of to get back to a stable point other than wait or go to drastic measures like temporarily being put opiods (no chance).

From my experience in the past, if I were to start taking lyrica or gabapentin again all would be well for the first several days but then the effects would rapidly diminish to the point of it not doing anything at all.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 03:27 AM
SAS Member

I use to be on lyrica, atm I donít actually remember the cutt off period being that bad for me.
Just hang in there it will get better do what u need to do until it passes itís not that bad of a med to detox from if you tapered off properly, from what I can remember I had some sleepless nights and aches and pains. But it got better real fast!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 03:45 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

main 3 cannot comprehend the difference

pregabalin 50g daily keppra twice daily was 500mg, 750mg 1g from 2012

phenytoin 300mg evening

lyrica named controlled DDRRUGGGGGG!!!!!
because it was new to me, after topiramate dropped. maybe it responsible for protecting me from migraine?

neurologist or GP? when GP lowered phenytoin from blood test the dose too high? i shouldn't get rabid! i wandered all way to hospital to see my ward. consultant said follow GP! good. all transparent effect to me, 2012. no difference in me. just no job makes me suicidal. also not allowed in local supermarket since Jan 2020. all queues like POW camp
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 03:49 PM
I am Jack's cold sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotBSC View Post
I've started experiencing wd's while still taking it, so slow taper was not an option. It was a semi-rapid taper followed by 2 weeks in the detox facility making sure I wasn't experiencing too severe of the symptoms. They switched me to 300-600mg gabapentin first and then off from it. I don't have insomnia and anxiety I would say is mainly powered by the depression. So I can somewhat still function and from the 3rd person view I look alright (can eat, can sleep, can hold conversation, little to no physical wd symptoms). But that cloud of hopelessness and feeling that something is missing to enjoy life is still lingering and very very hard to deal with.

I wasn't like that even before starting addressing mental health issues and it's not like I'm in a vicious cycle either. I can force myself to do things yet still those feelings creep onto me in situations and surroundings where I've used to be able to relax or at least feel content.

So I guess the worst part is indeed that there is no way I'm aware of to get back to a stable point other than wait or go to drastic measures like temporarily being put opiods (no chance).

From my experience in the past, if I were to start taking lyrica or gabapentin again all would be well for the first several days but then the effects would rapidly diminish to the point of it not doing anything at all.

Were you on a really high dose? Were the withdrawals because your tolerance was too high? I've never heard of withdrawals from a med unless you stop taking it suddenly. I know with Gabapentin they have a liquid form you can take too help taper off. Maybe that may be an option and just taper like over a year. It may not eliminate your depression but would maybe make it more manageable. Yah man, stay away from opioids and also benzos if you can. You'll just end up in worse situation, you don't want to get addicted those.

I've been out haunting the neighborhood
And everybody can see I'm no good
When I'm walking out between parked cars
With my head full of stars
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 06:02 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorish View Post
I use to be on lyrica, atm I donít actually remember the cutt off period being that bad for me.
Just hang in there it will get better do what u need to do until it passes itís not that bad of a med to detox from if you tapered off properly, from what I can remember I had some sleepless nights and aches and pains. But it got better real fast!!

Yeah, I was on 600mg for a couple of years and stopped cold turkey, just had a couple days with not much sleep. It isnt supposed to be bad with regards to withdrawals so just ride it out for a bit and you should be ok.

**** your feelings !!

SFC
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 06:11 AM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotBSC View Post
I'm currently on valium, serquel and mirtazapine and still feeling the exact opposite of euphoria - anhedonia, hopelessness, no satisfaction or joy...

?

Why do you take seroquel and what dose? That can cause some anhedonia.

Also, all three of the above can cause drowsiness and lethargy. See how it goes but if it doesnt pass then personally I would ditch mirtazapine and quetiapine, and limit the valium, and maybe ask to try buproprion, or see if you can get modafinil prescribed.

You can get modafinil of the net easily and its quite cheap. Try a small dose of that daily am - 50mg to 200mg (max)

**** your feelings !!

SFC
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 06:43 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raies View Post
You need to take care of yourself first, before you can take care of others. So do what's best for you, because if you aren't alright yourself, it won't be much use doing things for others.
This. Your family is there to support you when you're unwell. You are able to recognise that you're unwell, which means you need to do what's necessary to get better.

Best of luck to you. I hope that nightmare will be over soon.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Yoink

I gave up on meds a long time ago, way too many side effects for very little relief in return.

I only use medicinal cannabis, which is legal here in Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Lithuania

Quote:
Cannabis in Lithuania

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search Cannabis in Lithuania is illegal for recreational use, but legislation allowing for medical use was approved in October 2018. In 2013 the cultivation of industrial hemp was legalized.
Contents

Industrial hemp

In 2013 Lithuania was the only country in the European Union which banned the cultivation of industrial hemp, and in September that year by a vote of 66–16 the government elected to legalize industrial hemp, pending the president's signature and to take effect at the start of 2014.[1]
2016 protest

In 2016, protestors planning an April 20th event at Parliament were targeted by the Prosecutor General's Office, which believed that permitting the event might "violate the public interest".[2]
Medical cannabis

A law allowing for medical use of cannabis was approved by the Seimas on 11 October 2018, with an effective date of 1 May 2019.[3] As of the effective date no medications were available in pharmacies, however.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page