Starting Parnate! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Dicky

Starting Parnate!

A little but about myself.

I have suffered from GAD and Social Anxiety for the past 10 years. Before then I was very confident and vibrant person but just lost this after dealing with this illness over the years.

I have previously tried Zoloft, Cymbalta, Celexa & Lexapro which basically provided me no relief and I just felt like a zombie the whole time, added in with all the ****ty side effects.

Anyway, I have persuaded my Doc into prescribing Parnate (MAOI) and will be starting this in the next couple of days. I'm pretty excited and nervous at the same time.

Hoping this provides the relief I need so I can get my life back. I have heard it has stimulating properties but that some users have also reported sedation.

I feel mentally drained and fatigued all the time which affects me socializing and im basically a nervous wreck when entering into a social situation.

Anyway, as for the dose should I be starting at 10mgs every morning, and then increase to dosing twice a day?

Any information or feedback would be most helpful.

Cheers for reading!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 01:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbellaaa View Post
Good luck!

You can start at 20 mg or even 30 mg. I've heard taking it BID in the morning and afternoon recommended.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 03:13 PM
SAS Member

for mental fatigue, i would recommend you get good sleep and exercise regularly. As we'll as do Yoga ( silly but believe me it is very relaxing and uplifting)

Now one medicine i feel made me smarter was Selegiline ( Deprynil) . I don't know if it was a placebo feeling but when i took it , i was very focused and driven at my work. Most of the time any way. I felt i had more energy to get things done.

I dont know much about partite but i am a supporter of slow titration. Starting with a very low dose and staying on each dose for a week.

Current med : Lamictal 50 mg , Tofisopam ,Fish oil, ZMA, Vitamin D3.

Previous Meds : Fluxetin, Citalopram, Buspirone, Wellbutrin XL, Mirtazipine, Brintellix,Lexapro ,Trileptal, Moclobemide.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Dicky

Awesome thanks for the feedback guys.
The mental fatigue accompanies blurry/ hazy vision which really tends to set off my anxiety even more.
I just want to feel focused and clear headed if you understand.
It's really holding back my career aspirations at the moment so hopefully Parnate can help with this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
I am on 20-30 mg, 3x/day totalling 70 mg. had been on 90 and may increase back to that, but for now 70 mg suits me. Good luck!

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:01 AM
SAS Member

Does Parnate help with Anxiety Caedmon?

Previous Meds : Fluxetin, Citalopram, Buspirone, Wellbutrin XL, Mirtazipine, Brintellix,Lexapro ,Trileptal, Moclobemide.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 03:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
I am on 20-30 mg, 3x/day totalling 70 mg. had been on 90 and may increase back to that, but for now 70 mg suits me. Good luck!

Dr Gillman says 95% of people respond between 30-50mg. How high do you know to go?
I'm 1 week into 40mg a day, and not noticing much yet
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Dicky

Day 1. Took 10mg roughly an hour ago (7:30am).
Felt in increase in my mood although this could be a placebo.
Just wondering whether to take a 2nd dose of 10mg at noon?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:07 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
@meedo Parnate is quite helpful for anxiety, in my experience, but not cureall either. It will help with distorted thinking and self esteem, and in many instances with somatic anxiety. But there is no substitute for going out and participating in the social world, and learning to break the habit of self-focused attention.

@jaiho I think finding the right dose is just trial and error. I once came across a publication reporting .7 mg/kg as a target dose. But I am sure there is a range above and below that, that one may respond to.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:05 PM
SAS Member

Language: Gibberish
Quote:
A little but about myself.

I have suffered from GAD and Social Anxiety for the past 10 years. Before then I was very confident and vibrant person but just lost this after dealing with this illness over the years.

I have previously tried Zoloft, Cymbalta, Celexa & Lexapro which basically provided me no relief and I just felt like a zombie the whole time, added in with all the ****ty side effects.

Anyway, I have persuaded my Doc into prescribing Parnate (MAOI) and will be starting this in the next couple of days. I'm pretty excited and nervous at the same time.

Hoping this provides the relief I need so I can get my life back. I have heard it has stimulating properties but that some users have also reported sedation.

I feel mentally drained and fatigued all the time which affects me socializing and im basically a nervous wreck when entering into a social situation.

Anyway, as for the dose should I be starting at 10mgs every morning, and then increase to dosing twice a day?

Cheers for reading!

Ooh cool. Tell us if it works!

Bleh.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Dicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedmon View Post
@meedo Parnate is quite helpful for anxiety, in my experience, but not cureall either. It will help with distorted thinking and self esteem, and in many instances with somatic anxiety. But there is no substitute for going out and participating in the social world, and learning to break the habit of self-focused attention.

@jaiho I think finding the right dose is just trial and error. I once came across a publication reporting .7 mg/kg as a target dose. But I am sure there is a range above and below that, that one may respond to.
You sure do know your stuff Caedmon, I have been reading quite a bit into Parnate online and your posts have been very helpful.

I have decided I will dose at 10mg twice a day for a week or so and see how it goes.

The feeling today is very up and down, i feel clear headed one minute and the next same old.

I know it's only early but i enjoy those moments when I am getting them.

As for social anxiety side of things, will it help with pro social/confidence? I do not drink anymore so i find it hard socializing.
I have however have had success with speed in the past, where it completely wipes out any negative thoughts and i feel normal.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Dicky

Quick update 9:00pm

Took my 2nd dose of 10mg at noon and feel quite high after some afternoon fatigue. Just had a look in the mirror and my pupils are dilated. Interesting... but overall day 1 was a success!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:55 AM
SAS Member

You'll fee high / placebo for the first few days, i found.
I thought my depression was gone within a few days, but that didnt last. 1 week into 40mg so i hope for results soon
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Dicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
You'll fee high / placebo for the first few days, i found.
I thought my depression was gone within a few days, but that didnt last. 1 week into 40mg so i hope for results soon
Sucks it only lasts for a few days. I seem to be responding quite well to the amphetamine like effect.

What day are you on jaiho?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 AM
I am average!

You just made me realize, I must be a zombie. When I used Zoloft for 6 months 3 pills a day, I didn't feel a difference.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Dicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Soul View Post
You just made me realize, I must be a zombie. When I used Zoloft for 6 months 3 pills a day, I didn't feel a difference.
I tried Zoloft too and it made me feel much of the same, just hoping i keep getting these feelings and they don't poop out.
Ive heard the stimulation normally fades around day 3. I honestly hope not
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:13 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I have decided I will dose at 10mg twice a day for a week or so and see how it goes.
IMO this is too slow, although I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are to medications. Doctors will probably want you to titrate this slowly, but keep in mind much/most of their instructions are based on liability concerns and not on concerns for their patient's health. I think it is safe to increase by 10 mg as fast as every two days or even every day, until you reach your target dose. I started at 20 mg/day and moved up 10 mg every day until I got to the dose I wanted. I am an impatient person, though.

Quote:
As for social anxiety side of things, will it help with pro social/confidence? I do not drink anymore so i find it hard socializing.
I have however have had success with speed in the past, where it completely wipes out any negative thoughts and i feel normal.
Parnate is extremely effective for MDD - possibly the most effective medication there is for it. For SAD only two studies have been done on it, both finding it efficacious:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20036427
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3209719

But the question is whether Parnate is significantly more effective than SSRIs for SA, because I don't think the above studies confirm that. The double-blind clinical trial shows a 30 mg/day dose to give -17.9 on the LSAS scale, which is no better than placebo, and a 60 mg/day dose (which is at the recommended maximum) to give -35. For example, in this sertraline clinical trial (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12934979) involving people with strictly severe SA, sertraline gives -31 on the LSAS scale, while placebo gave -21.7. In this paroxetine clinical trial (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8784653), paroxetine gives -37.9 on the LSAS scale. If Parnate doesn't take you to sufficient remission for SA, augmenting it with GABAergics like pregabalin or baclofen is an idea.

I'd say most drugs which cause euphoria will dramatically reduce your SA, and amphetamine is well-known on this site for doing that, although of course tolerance to the euphoria builds very quickly. You should or will find that Parnate gives a weak amphetamine-like euphoric effect for several hours after dosing; see http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...e-lol-1637585/

With regards to improvement in MDD symptoms I found Parnate to work really quickly, but I didn't find any improvement in SA symptoms during my time on it (I took Parnate for 9 days, including 5 at 60 mg).

EDIT: Apparently in the Parnate open trial the LSAS improvement was -62.2 (https://books.google.ca/books?id=quQ...20LSAS&f=false). So there's some good news for you.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Dicky

Ok quick little up date. Had to pull over and let you guys know this has been the best day i have had in around 10 years. This is definitely not a placebo effect and the feelings are more prominent than yesterday.
I can feel the drug working and it's really smooth.

I have a couple of questions.
I am back at work tomorrow starting at 1pm. To avoid the afternoon fatigue should i take my dose later than usual? Currently dosing 10mg at 7:30am and 10mg at 11:30am.

Also i have varied shifts so will be starting work at 5am some mornings. Should i be dosing before work (4am) and then on my break 3-4 hours later?

Thanks legends!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Dicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighsigh View Post
Quote:
IMO this is too slow, although I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are to medications. Doctors will probably want you to titrate this slowly, but keep in mind much/most of their instructions are based on liability concerns and not on concerns for their patient's health. I think it is safe to increase by 10 mg as fast as every two days or even every day, until you reach your target dose. I started at 20 mg/day and moved up 10 mg every day until I got to the dose I wanted. I am an impatient person, though.

Quote:
Parnate is extremely effective for MDD - possibly the most effective medication there is for it. For SAD only two studies have been done on it, both finding it efficacious:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20036427
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3209719

But the question is whether Parnate is significantly more effective than SSRIs for SA, because I don't think the above studies confirm that. The double-blind clinical trial shows a 30 mg/day dose to give -17.9 on the LSAS scale, which is no better than placebo, and a 60 mg/day dose (which is at the recommended maximum) to give -35. For example, in this sertraline clinical trial (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12934979) involving people with strictly severe SA, sertraline gives -31 on the LSAS scale, while placebo gave -21.7. In this paroxetine clinical trial (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8784653), paroxetine gives -37.9 on the LSAS scale. If Parnate doesn't take you to sufficient remission for SA, augmenting it with GABAergics like pregabalin or baclofen is an idea.

I'd say most drugs which cause euphoria will dramatically reduce your SA, and amphetamine is well-known on this site for doing that, although of course tolerance to the euphoria builds very quickly. You should or will find that Parnate gives a weak amphetamine-like euphoric effect for several hours after dosing; see http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...e-lol-1637585/

With regards to improvement in MDD symptoms I found Parnate to work really quickly, but I didn't find any improvement in SA symptoms during my time on it (I took Parnate for 9 days, including 5 at 60 mg).

EDIT: Apparently in the Parnate open trial the LSAS improvement was -62.2 (https://books.google.ca/books?id=quQ...20LSAS&f=false). So there's some good news for you.
Cheers for all the info!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:10 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Ok quick little up date. Had to pull over and let you guys know this has been the best day i have had in around 10 years. This is definitely not a placebo effect and the feelings are more prominent than yesterday.
I can feel the drug working and it's really smooth.

I have a couple of questions.
I am back at work tomorrow starting at 1pm. To avoid the afternoon fatigue should i take my dose later than usual? Currently dosing 10mg at 7:30am and 10mg at 11:30am.

Also i have varied shifts so will be starting work at 5am some mornings. Should i be dosing before work (4am) and then on my break 3-4 hours later?

Thanks legends!
Thats good news!

You feel the drug working on your SA or depression? and how so ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page