SSRI verses SNRI - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

SSRI verses SNRI

i'm taking 225mg effexor xr, which i've just been told is an SNRI, but readin through this site, i'm seeing heaps of ppl on Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro & Prozac, which are all SSNI's. i think.

So, whats the deal, is it the general idea that SSRI's are better 4 SA? and thats why u all use them?? if so lemme knw so i can join the club i haven't read about one person using effexor on this site..

No reason 4 this bannana fella, i just think he looks neat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 AM

Re: SSRI verses SNRI

SNRI's are usually a second line option because of more common side effects. SSRIs are supposed to have a "low side effect profile" but even celexa blew me away with side effects, before it started not working.
The norepinephrine reuptake in SNRI's is supposed to aid people who don't benefit from serotonin alone - you're getting as much SSRI effect as anyone on an SSRI.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings
i'm taking 225mg effexor xr, which i've just been told is an SNRI, but readin through this site, i'm seeing heaps of ppl on Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro & Prozac, which are all SSNI's. i think.

So, whats the deal, is it the general idea that SSRI's are better 4 SA? and thats why u all use them?? if so lemme knw so i can join the club i haven't read about one person using effexor on this site..

No reason 4 this bannana fella, i just think he looks neat
Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro and Prozac are SSRI's and Cymbalta and Effexor are SNRI's. Because of the withdrawal symptoms, SNRI's are not usually use as a first line of attack.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Occasionally Bannned

SSRIs are a popular first line choice because they are relatively safe and very little potential for addiction-- not because they actually work well. They generally fail in about 80% of patients. SNRIs carry much of the same serotonin related effects (side effects as well) that SSRIs have with the addition of norepinephrine that may actually cause a worsening of anxiety. SNRIs could be argued a superior choice for depression but are, at best, not much of an upgrade for anxiety over SSRIs. Either class may be helpful in secondary condidtions with SA like depression and panic but do little for anxiety itself.

So the general consensus is, they both suck for SA just SSRIs suck less.

As for effexor, theres plenty of people on here that have used it. Its just notoriously ill favored for its withdrawal. Cymbalta doesnt quite have the same reputation but it floats in the same boat.

`

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

- Ezekiel 23:20

And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight.

--Ezekiel 4:12

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ***.

--1 Samuel 15:3

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

ah ok, i see, i see.

thanks guys
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:48 AM

SNRI has better effect on anxiety.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 AM

Does the norepinephrine action offset the weight gain/ lack of energy caused by ssri's? I have taken ssri's and noticed they help my anxiety, but then I start having no energy. When I took cymbalta, I would only get fatigued in the late afternoon, about 6-7 hours after I took the cymbalta in the am. I always felt "amped" up for a few hours after I took it, due to the norepinephrine, I guess. It always made me lose my appetite, also. I can't say it was the perfect solution to my anxiety, but I think it may have worked better for me than a regular ssri.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:39 PM
UnDeRrAtED

I have tried sertralize (zoloft) and has helped more with my depression as opposed to cymbalta. I find cymbalta to be weak for me.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page