SSRI + NRI = SNRI? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

SSRI + NRI = SNRI?

For quite a while, I've wanted to try an SNRI (like Cymbalta or Effexor, etc) because I've read that they can rocket a person out of depression, and that they can also help with some of the physical pain associated with depression and anxiety (caused by stress, tension, etc.) Unfortunately, Cymbalta and Effexor are too expensive for me, so I have to look for an alternative.

I'm currently taking 40mg of Celexa (citalopram) per day. As you probably know, Celexa is an older yet potent SSRI that's a cheap alternative to Lexapro because it's available in generic form.

Anyway, this morning, I was browsing Wikipedia, and I came across an old tetracyclic antidepressant called Ludiomil (maprotiline). It is supposedly a very strong norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It's a pretty old antidepressant, but it's supposedly pretty effective. Because it's so old, it's available in generic form (so it's pretty cheap).

Do you think if I combined Celexa with Ludiomil, I would get the same effectiveness and benefits of one of those newer, more expensive SNRIs (like Cymbalta or Effexor)? Has anyone here ever tried anything like this before? Tell me what you think of it, please. I'm open to all comments. Thanks!

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Spectacular Member

To fix this problem of trying to get all the neurotransmitters fixed, I take lexapro and wellbutrin. That way all 3 of my neurotransmitters are being worked on. Thats all I have to say.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:40 PM
SAS Member

I'm on effexor, I don't think its very good as an anti-anxiety medicine. Plus it fogs my thinking, which makes it harder to succeed in school.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:39 PM
You can do this!

My Mood: Cheerful
I think desipramine is more commonly used. It's also very selective.

Medication-related posts are for brainstorming purposes only. Talk to your doctor.

My meds: Parnate, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, trazodone
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Is there any advantage of desipramine over maprotiline? Desipramine is a tricyclic, which I've read are bad for causing weight gain and heart irrregularity. Maprotiline is a tetracyclic, so I don't know if it has any advantages over desipramine because of its chemical structure alone or not.

Rx:
Wellbutrin SR 300mg, Eskalith CR 900mg, Luvox 100mg

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page