Something to get rid of night terrors - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead

Something to get rid of night terrors

The only thing that works for them is klonopin, and my psychiatrist won't let me go over 1mg per day....so either I suffer from the night terrors or I have a horrible panic attack during the day, basically...

He's tried me on pretty much everything for sleep. Trazodone, quetiapine, mirtazapine, and now prazosin, none of which help with the night terrors. (Technically they're called hypnagogic hallucinations but that's a mouthful.)

Does anybody know anything that might help, besides the klonopin, since he's so against prescribing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:12 PM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Try Paxil. It's good for neurosis.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 AM
SAS Member

Paxil is also known to cause night terrors.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:30 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by gisellemarx View Post
The only thing that works for them is klonopin, and my psychiatrist won't let me go over 1mg per day....so either I suffer from the night terrors or I have a horrible panic attack during the day, basically...

He's tried me on pretty much everything for sleep. Trazodone, quetiapine, mirtazapine, and now prazosin, none of which help with the night terrors. (Technically they're called hypnagogic hallucinations but that's a mouthful.)

Does anybody know anything that might help, besides the klonopin, since he's so against prescribing it?

Yeah any serotonergic won't help with night terrors. However an SSRI can help with that too. I'm not really a fan though of an ssri though. Messes with the sleep architecture. I guess it depends on ones point of view. Some argue that the changes that ssri's produce on sleep are good. My argument is that anything that decreases REM sleep better be provided with a worthwhile explanation before considering utilization of such a medication.

Yeah clonazepam would be perfect in your case.

- Meeseeks are not born into this world, fumbling for meaning Jerry! We are created, to serve a singular purpose for which we will go to any lengths to fullfill. Existence is pain to a meeseeks. And we will do anything to alleviate that pain.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben12 View Post
Yeah any serotonergic won't help with night terrors. However an SSRI can help with that too. I'm not really a fan though of an ssri though. Messes with the sleep architecture. I guess it depends on ones point of view. Some argue that the changes that ssri's produce on sleep are good. My argument is that anything that decreases REM sleep better be provided with a worthwhile explanation before considering utilization of such a medication.

Yeah clonazepam would be perfect in your case.
SSRIs make me moody and angry, I can't take them. Clonazepam is perfect, my doctor is just refusing to prescribe it any longer.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Pensive
I've had night terrors before myself that went on for quite a few months after I went through a really traumatic, really ***ed up experience a few years ago....I witnessed my gf's suicide. The night terrors were really bad (I've never heard of any that aren't) I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I hope you find a way to get over them.

I never could get any meds for it from the therapists and psychiatrists I saw. I'm sorry I can't be more help wrt drugs that might help.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in therapy? My psychiatrists all suggested I jump headfirst into a whole lot of therapy, to find out what was causing the night terrors (which was obvious for me) and to talk, talk, talk about it until I was sick to death of talking. So I got a therapist that specialized in PTSD, a regular therapist I saw three days a week and a group therapy session I went to once a week. (all this was after being inpatient at several different facilities right after the suicide happened...I was inpatient for three of the six months following it). It took a lot of perseverance on my part to make all the therapy appointments, but they eventually went away and I haven't had them since (fingers crossed), though I have had some really bad nightmares.

Good luck to you, I really hope you get some help with them, I know how scary they can be.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 08:31 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
SSRIs make me moody and angry, I can't take them. Clonazepam is perfect, my doctor is just refusing to prescribe it any longer.
That's a shame. So like, is it any benzodiazepine they're not willing to prescribe?

Would they offer lyrica or gabapentin? Not sure if either of those medications would help mind you. However from what I understand they sort of have a similar feel to a benzodiazepine.

- Meeseeks are not born into this world, fumbling for meaning Jerry! We are created, to serve a singular purpose for which we will go to any lengths to fullfill. Existence is pain to a meeseeks. And we will do anything to alleviate that pain.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben12 View Post
That's a shame. So like, is it any benzodiazepine they're not willing to prescribe?

Would they offer lyrica or gabapentin? Not sure if either of those medications would help mind you. However from what I understand they sort of have a similar feel to a benzodiazepine.
I actually have gabapentin for nerve pain and migraines. I was supposed to be on Lyrica but my insurance denied it. For some reason my psychiatrist didn't want me to take it for anxiety. But I mean....I will, now that I have it lol, joke's on him.

Gabapentin makes me drowsy and takes the edge off, but it doesn't do nearly as much as the clonazepam does. I don't know about Lyrica.

The reason providers are so hesitant to prescribe benzodiazepines is because the CDC came out with a report detailing the negative long-term effects of them, along with opioids, and there's this big push to cut down on the amount of scripts they write for these medications. And I live in NY state, one of the strictest states in the US for controlled substances. Which is unfortunate for the people that benefit the most from benzos. They're the safest drugs to be dependent on, in my opinion - as long as you're being responsible.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheSame View Post
I've had night terrors before myself that went on for quite a few months after I went through a really traumatic, really ***ed up experience a few years ago....I witnessed my gf's suicide. The night terrors were really bad (I've never heard of any that aren't) I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I hope you find a way to get over them.

I never could get any meds for it from the therapists and psychiatrists I saw. I'm sorry I can't be more help wrt drugs that might help.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in therapy? My psychiatrists all suggested I jump headfirst into a whole lot of therapy, to find out what was causing the night terrors (which was obvious for me) and to talk, talk, talk about it until I was sick to death of talking. So I got a therapist that specialized in PTSD, a regular therapist I saw three days a week and a group therapy session I went to once a week. (all this was after being inpatient at several different facilities right after the suicide happened...I was inpatient for three of the six months following it). It took a lot of perseverance on my part to make all the therapy appointments, but they eventually went away and I haven't had them since (fingers crossed), though I have had some really bad nightmares.

Good luck to you, I really hope you get some help with them, I know how scary they can be.
I'm sorry for what you've been through; I'm glad it's gotten better. I've been in therapy for almost a year - no less, with a therapist that specializes in PTSD, specifically the type of trauma that I experienced. I can't say therapy has ever really helped me other than provide an outlet. I have a lot more than PTSD going on in my life that's affecting me equally as bad, it's really chaotic and hard to stay on topic.

The only thing my psychiatrist seems to want to give me medicine for is the insomnia and hypnagogic hallucinations. Just....not the one that works.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
I'm sorry for what you've been through; I'm glad it's gotten better. I've been in therapy for almost a year - no less, with a therapist that specializes in PTSD, specifically the type of trauma that I experienced. I can't say therapy has ever really helped me other than provide an outlet. I have a lot more than PTSD going on in my life that's affecting me equally as bad, it's really chaotic and hard to stay on topic.

The only thing my psychiatrist seems to want to give me medicine for is the insomnia and hypnagogic hallucinations. Just....not the one that works.
Thank you. I know what you mean, therapy just doesn't seem to be helping me much at all sometimes...I really wonder sometimes why I even go, tbh. I can't say for sure why the night terrors went away for me (so far). Of course I can't say it was the therapy I was in, for sure. The therapist I saw specifically just for PTSD was actually a Vietnam Vet. This guy had seen **** that makes what I went through seem....like nothing. And *sigh that's exactly why I decided to stop seeing him. He wanted me to start a group therapy that was centered around PTSD and I just couldn't do it. I've had another doctor since then that's suggested I start a group for PTSD and I just couldn't do it. Because I imagine myself in a group of people comprised of veterans from Iraq, Afghanistan, The Gulf War, Vietnam, and I can't imagine comparing my story to theirs. But maybe it would be worth trying, I don't know.

I've found a few things specific to my own trauma that I use to control my situation, my environment and they seem to help. For ex, I found my girlfriend in a pitch black room, at night. So I sleep with the lights on...there has to be at least a closet light or a hallway light on at night at all times or I just will not sleep, I'll stay awake all f-ing night long. Some nights the ceiling fan lights right above my bed have to stay on. Anyways I really hope you find some peace, man, and find something that's effective against the night terrors. Don't give up trying, don't stop seeing different doctors if you aren't getting the results you want. I saw a whole f-ing team of psychiatrists at one point, I bet I saw 20 different psychiatrists and therapists in the two years following what happened.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Harvestor Of Sorrow

I used to take Epival and I would not dream at all. In fact I stopped taking it because I would not dream and felt this deficit to be completely unnatural. I started off on Epival at 250 mg and worked my way up to 2000 mg at night. I did not dream for about 4 years while I was on it. It shouldn't be too hard to request Epival from your doctor. It is commonly prescribed for bipolar, depression, etc.

And wet she rose from the lake, and fast and fleet went she
One half the form of a maiden fair with a jet black mare's body

And loud, long and shrill he blew til his steed was by his side
High overhead the grey hawk flew and swiftly did he ride
Saying "Course well, my brindled hound, and fetch me the jet black mare
Stoop and strike, my good grey hawk, and bring me the maiden fair"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:27 PM
SAS Member

Prazosin or Clonidine should help.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page