Ritalin (Methylphenidate) A Godsent For Social Anxiety - My Experience - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) A Godsent For Social Anxiety - My Experience

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I've suffered extreme social anxiety and ADHD since I can remember. I am VERY self conscious about myself and I constantly think what others may be thinking about me when out in public. I've always found myself obsessively rehearsing what to do, what to say and how to act when approaching someone or before involving myself in some social activity or social gathering. I'm a classic case for both SA and ADHD. My ADHD and SA went undiagnosed for my entire life until I started uni and knew it was time to seek help. After being referred to and consulting with a Psychiatrist, I was prescribed Ritalin for my ADHD. My doctor didn't want to put me on more than one type of medication as he was adamant Ritalin would help with my SA as well.

After being on Ritalin for 10 months now I have indeed hit two birds with one stone. Aside from my improved attention span (which I won't discuss here) the Ritalin has proved to be an extremely useful tool especially for approach anxiety. It is however just a tool and not a cure of course. The following is a list of how Ritalin is helping my social anxiety:

Effects on social anxiety:

- Increased talkativeness
- Much more engagement in conversations
- An intense eagerness to engage in conversations with strangers
- Approach anxiety is abolished
- Anxiety and shyness is greatly reduced

The best part is how it helps me with approach anxiety. My biggest issue has always been making new friends, meeting, talking to new people and of course dating. After I get to know someone my SA is no longer much of an issue. This is why Ritalin has been a godsent. It is a tool that is extremely useful for these short important moments. Once I meet the person and have gotten to know them the Ritalin is no longer required for my SA.

I don't know how many people out there are with ADHD taking Ritalin have noticed improvements in their SA but this makes me wonder sometimes if my ADHD is related to my SA or it's just the effects of the Ritalin helping with my SA. There are of course pitfalls but overall my life has gone from a 4/10 to a 9.5/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 AM
SAS Member

Ritalin, like all other ADHD drugs, they are equivalent to speed and really addicting. You will become dependent on it to do just about everything. It will likely give you hypertension, eye problems, destroy your central nervous system and mental health. Although it may seem like the best thing in the world right now, I would highly recommend not using this substance.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:16 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
All medications react differently depending on the person. When people discuss the effects of ritalin, they range from having a huge difference to their quality of life to bad experiences. From own personal experience, ritalin really messed up my mental health and increased my anxiety when I took it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batcat View Post
All medications react differently depending on the person. When people discuss the effects of ritalin, they range from having a huge difference to their quality of life to bad experiences. From own personal experience, ritalin really messed up my mental health and increased my anxiety when I took it.

This

In my experience ritalin has no real results one way or the other. It's been the case with every medication I've taken though so I seem to be quite weird physically, emotionally, and psychologically.

Caught in the past searching for a false future - Me

I have no fear of death. It just means dreaming in silence. A dream that lasts for eternity.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 AM
baclofen enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist7 View Post
Ritalin, like all other ADHD drugs, they are equivalent to speed and really addicting. You will become dependent on it to do just about everything. It will likely give you hypertension, eye problems, destroy your central nervous system and mental health. Although it may seem like the best thing in the world right now, I would highly recommend not using this substance.
Sounds like MAOIs.

Dx: depression, GAD, narcissistic personality disorder
Rx: Sereupin (paroxetine) 20mg, Remeron (mirtazapine) 15mg, Deniban (amisulpride) 50mg, EN (delorazapem) 1mg, Halcion (triazolam) 250mcg
Prn: Provigil (modafinil) 200mg, Lioresal (baclofen) 25mg, Samyr Sam-e 400mg tablets and ampoules, Rivotril (clonazepam) 2mg, lormetazepam 2mg
Bad Rx: fluvoxamine, asenapine, bupropion

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:43 AM
SAS Member

good for you! i use it myself and agree that it helps with co-morbid disorders that stem from the adhd. being able to control impulses helps with social anxiety - it's still there, but i can act based on "reason" and not the "feeling". ritalin is really helpful for adhd sufferers, so it's a shame there is still so much stigma about it - people who could benefit from it are probably turned off by it. it was over prescribed in the early 00's, and there is still a lot of abuse, by students especially... now there is so much misconception about ADHD not being a real disorder. it's not addictive if you use it as prescribed, and long term use will reduce the amount of nervous system abnormalities, so at some point you will become less dependant.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoidobot3000 View Post
now there is so much misconception about ADHD not being a real disorder. it's not addictive if you use it as prescribed, and long term use will reduce the amount of nervous system abnormalities, so at some point you will become less dependant.
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. I'm a severe case of ADHD. It makes my blood boil when people say ADHD isn't a real disorder. If they observed me for only a minute they would quickly change their minds. I do believe however it is over diagnosed in children here in Melbourne, Australia. They hand Ritalin out like it's candy. Most of the negative stigma comes from those abusing it without a script. I am under medical supervision entailing regular medical checkups because I actually have a script for a legitimate purpose. This medication has given me control over my life which I didn't have before. Also I have never experienced any form of addiction from this drug after being on it for over 200 days.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 07:24 PM
SAS Member

Ritalin (Methylphenidate) A Godsent For Social Anxiety - My Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoidobot3000 View Post
good for you! i use it myself and agree that it helps with co-morbid disorders that stem from the adhd. being able to control impulses helps with social anxiety - it's still there, but i can act based on "reason" and not the "feeling". ritalin is really helpful for adhd sufferers, so it's a shame there is still so much stigma about it.

Yeah, controlling ADHD adequately can help to control other mental health disorders which stem from it. For example - the impulse control improvement can help OCD by reducing ruminations. It can also help depression and anxiety in those who are suffering from it due to hypoarousal of certain brain centres - common in ADHD, atypical depression and sleep disorders, sometimes SA can be a consequence of this too as hypoarousal leads to performance anxiety in various areas.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page