Remeron/mirtazapine - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Remeron/mirtazapine

I have a bad habit of scouring the message boards on the internet when anything novel enters my life. It’s funny, when I read testimonials on Remeron, by far the most reported side effect is weight gain by “craving” food (particularly sugar-rich food). The other side effect widely reported is its powerful sedative properties. I have yet, after hours of research, been able to find one person who has had the same reaction as I. My reaction has been the opposite. I find it much easier to abstain from food and more difficulty falling asleep. For the first five days I ingested 15 mg. Effects: anxiolytic, sedative (fell asleep within one hour), improved focus (narrowing of thoughts), less impulsivity. On day 6 through the proceeding month, I ingested 30 mg. Effects: anxiety-inducing (opposite of anxiolytic?), first three days: difficulty falling asleep; next week: no trouble falling asleep; next 3 weeks to present (even after reducing to 15 mg for 2 weeks): trouble falling asleep, RLS-like symptoms (universal feeling of agitation, eventually localizing to my left knee-cap). I have, and still do feel mildly drowsy when I take it. When I lay down to sleep, I get about half-way asleep, but then, after 10 minutes, I suddenly feel strangely agitated about nothing. It’s almost if I had had a nightmare that I can’t remember. I then have to pace around for about 30 minutes. Then, I am able to fall asleep. The agitation is a tolerable trade-off for the many benefits. The sleep-issue, however, is troubling since I am a chronic insomniac and it seems to completely negate the Ambien that has helped me for years. I don’t know why I wrote this. I don’t expect any replies as I don’t really have a specific question to ask except for any suggestions about how to fall asleep (yes, I've tried Seroquel (RLS; agitation) (very similar response to the Remeron but more pronounced) , Ambien (current), Trazodone (significant dry-mouth, ineffective), Lunesta (weak), and Rozerum (very weak). My pdoc told me the other week that there really isn't anything he could prescribe me bordering on something extremely drastic. I guess, I’m hoping that some of you that read this might have some insights or similar experiences. Any reply would be helpful and appreciated.

Currently taking: Remeron (30mg), Klonopin (3mg), Ambien (10mg).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
SAS Member

It probably did make appetite increase and allow me to eat more, but I still couldn't reach my bulking goals for weightlifting. But the insomnia it gave me was from restless leg syndrome, it felt like my legs were burning, hard to sleep through that sensation.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Spectacular Member

To the OP, separate your text blob into paragraphs if you want more, if anyone to be able to reply to your post. No offense, thanks.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
To the OP, separate your text blob into paragraphs if you want more, if anyone to be able to reply to your post. No offense, thanks.
Haha yeah I didn't even read it to be honest

EDIT: Under17 never reads posts, even well structured ones
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Point taken. I just want to know if there is any sleep medication beyond Ambien, Lunesta, Trazadone, Seroquel, and Rozerum that I can suggest to my pdoc. Thank you.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Spectacular Member

Sleep aids are as follows: *copied from another post of mine*

Tricyclic antidepressants - Amitriptyline(Elavil), Nortriptyline(Pamelor)

Tetracyclic antidepressant- Mirtazapine(Remeron) *this one is EXTREMELY sedating*

Z Drugs - Lunesta, Zaleplon(Sonata), Ambien/Ambien CR(Zolpidem)

Antihistamines - Benadryl(Diphenhydramine), Dimenhydrinate, Hydroxyzine, Cyproheptadine

Benzodiazepines - Midazolam(Versed), Halcion(Triazolam), Xanax(Alprazolam)

Older Antipsychotics - Thorazine(Chlorpromazine ), Haldol(Haloperidol)

Newer Atypical Antipsychotics - Seroquel(Quetiapine), Geodon(Ziprasidone)

Other - Trazodone(Desyrel), Melatonin, Valerian

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
SAS Member

I have tried remeron and all that stuff but I find good ole diphenhydramine to be really useful.

You can get literally hundreds of pills for under 10 dollars and it really makes you tired about 2 hours after. Melatonin is another good OTC option. It seems to work well or not at all. For me it works but gives me weird dreams so I dont take it anymore.

If I were you, I would certainly go down to 15mg remeron with your ambien and maybe melatonin aboot 2 hours before sleep. You must of course discuss this with you doctor before making dosage adjustments or adding meds.

I was at 30mg remeron and it made me gain 30 pounds and made me really tired. Oddly enough, I can take 1/4 pill which is 7.5mg and it knocks me out within an hour. It seems lower doses are much more sedating.

One drug that hasn't been mentioned is lyrica. It makes you really tired at first and sort of calms the mind and a doc would have no trouble prescribing it. It would mainly be beneficial if for RLS symptoms but I think if it were added to something like ambien/remeron it would be awesome.

Best of luck with getting to sleep, I know how hard it is. Exercise is good too if you can get the motivation to do it...lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM
SAS Member

To the OP; So is your primary goal basically to find something to add-on to Ambien to treat insomnia?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
To the OP; So is your primary goal basically to find something to add-on to Ambien to treat insomnia?
Yes, either to add-on or replace Ambien. I know getting off of Remeron would do the trick, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible.
Thank you guys for the information/advice. It is very helpful. Apologies about the first post. I tried to condense way too much information, lol.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bht96 View Post
Yes, either to add-on or replace Ambien. I know getting off of Remeron would do the trick, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible.
Now I'm confused lol, so your taking Remeron for insomnia, but you think that stopping it would fix your insomnia?

Or are you taking it for another purpose ie; depression?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page