Propranolol? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Propranolol?

I finally went to my doctor about my SA, told him about the symptoms I was having and he pescribed me 40mg Propranolol tablets to take as required. I haven't picked up my pescription yet, I was wondering how effective this drug is at managing the symptoms, how they make you feel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM
SAS Member

depends on your anxiety severity, if you happen to be unable to talk to people due to crippling anxiety and thoughts racing in your head, then this drug probably isn't the one for you. However, if you have mild anxiety with racing heartbeat and you perceive the physical symptoms to be the most bothersome then this drug will help. Personally, I found it only marginally helpful, it wasn't until benzo's and ssri's came into my life have I been feeling better, also personal work I guess. Exercise, that helps too. But yeah the effectiveness of this medication depends on how anxious of a person you are.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 PM

I suppose it would depend more on what your symptoms are. Beta blockers are usually good for physically symptoms of anxiety such as rapid heart beat, shakey hands, stuttering voice etc... Where as a benzo would be more beneficial for handling that distressing internal nervousness....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'd say the physical symptoms are usually worse than the anxiety itself, they certainly exacerbate it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM

Give it a whirl. Sounds like it maybe effective for you. Everybody is different so please post us an update. Thats how we all learn

Good Luck
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:25 AM
SAS Member

40g is a bit much to start off with, take only half the pill when in social situation.
propanol + benzos = most effective treatment for SAD
i usually do this when i want to improve confident in class my answering or asking q's in front of class or when giving presentation.

Though benzos are extremely riskly and only use them when your anxiety is high and uncontrollable
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
40g is a 'bit much to start off with
40g is an instant cure to all diseases, problem is you're pretty dead after that dose. But you're right, 20mg is good enough for starters.

Quote:
Though benzos are extremely riskly and only use them when your anxiety is high and uncontrollable
I don't think benzos are extremely risky if the patient using them has no substance abuse disorder in his psychiatric history.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 AM
SAS Member

I found Propranolol only takes the edge off of the physical symptoms, although physical symptoms tend to be the things that get to me the most. Although 40mg is pretty substantial amount as 10mg pills were what I was prescribed and I was warned not to take more than 3 in a day as I might pass out from low blood pressure.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Permanently Banned

Propranolol is effective for physical symptoms, specially heart racing. I was prescribed 20mg, but the stomach cramps were hard to handle so I'm down to 10mg. I take them in combination with Xanax when needed.

I've tried Xanax alone and Propranolol alone, but the combo is actually the best.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM

Propranolol is a great med, I think SA is the one anxiety disorder that really benefits from it - when the physical symptoms of SA dissapear it really makes you less self conscious.

It doesn't impair the learning, and reconditioning of fear like benzos and other meds can do.

It's a strange feeling when you're mentally worried as hell, yet appear to be completely calm to others... it's a big relief. It's helped with my driving so much.

I wish I was offered it a year ago, it's annoying that i've gone through many junk meds when this has been available all the time.. I just had to ask for it (and doctors are very willing to prescribe)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM
SAS Member

Propranolol has helped me incredibly! I've only been taking for a few days but the results have been amazing and instantaneous. I'm actually calm - all day. I can feel it with as small a dose as 5mg but I find 10 is better. My SA is limited to certain social situations and knowing that my heart won't race uncontrollably or I'll blush has given me insane confidence and some much needed relief. I hope doctors will come to learn more and more about the benefits of using beta-blockers to help treat SA. I'm not out of the woods yet...but I can hear the highway. Best of luck to everyone. I didn't even learn about Propranolol until I came to this site about a month ago.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page