Propranolol - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Bipolar maniac

Propranolol

Hi guys!
Since yesterday, I self prescribed myself propranolol (here it's very cheap, 3 dollars for 50 40 mg tablets, and practically OTC). I know about self medication, but I'm a third year med student...

I just wanted to tell you that it's awesome! It's a non selective beta blocker and beware! It's contraindicated in case of asthma and bradycardia.

It crosses the blood brain barrier so, in my case it also helps with mental symptoms if anxiety. I used to blush, have tachycardia, sweaty and shaky hands and all the symptoms of SA when talking to people. Since I take 40 mg per day in the morning, all gone.

I also have tachycardia and high blood pressure, so, two things with one pill!

I just wanted to know your experience with it, if you had some short and long term side effects and in general, your personal impressions!

Stay well!

Bipolar II, social anxiety, assorted brain cooties.

What keeps me at bay:
Quetiapine 200 mg
Lamotrigine 200 mg
Venlafaxine 150 mg

Propranolol 80 mg

Non-mental issues: Hypertension, inoperable pilonidal cyst, IBS, seasonal allergy.

PRN: Pregabalin 300 mg, clonazepam 0.5 mg, tramadol 50 mg, dextropropoxyphene/ibuprofen 100/400 mg, antihistamines in spring and autumn (diphenhydramine, cyproheptadine, clopheniramine).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:38 PM
SAS Member

Lucky. I have taken propranolol in the past. I still would turn red and sweat on it, as well as have a racing heart. Blood pressure also pisked when iw as taking it. I took it everyday though, and the multiple doses a day became annoying. I took upwards of 80 mg at a time and still no relief. NO beta blockers help my extreme blushing and sweating :/ I'm currently on the beta blocker bisoprolol taken everyday, only have to take it once a day. I still sweat and turn red on it, but it keeps my blood pressure down during anxious moments.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
SAS Member

*Blood pressure spiked not pisked* lol. Damn spelling errors, We can't edit a post on here once we post it, or am i missing something?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Bipolar maniac

Sorry if I bump this thread, but I'd like to know if you have experience with metoprolol, another beta blocker, which is selective for beta 1 receptors in contrast to propranolol which is non selective.

I ask about this two because they are able to cross the blood brain barrier and I think it is important for quelling of anxiety other than only the physical symptoms.

I know beta blockers can cause depression, which is not ok because of my bipolar II, but they also depress the amygdala, a part of the brain involved in fear and memory of traumatic events. That's why propranolol is used in PSTD patients.

Thanks guys!

What keeps me at bay:
Quetiapine 200 mg
Lamotrigine 200 mg
Venlafaxine 150 mg

Propranolol 80 mg

Non-mental issues: Hypertension, inoperable pilonidal cyst, IBS, seasonal allergy.

PRN: Pregabalin 300 mg, clonazepam 0.5 mg, tramadol 50 mg, dextropropoxyphene/ibuprofen 100/400 mg, antihistamines in spring and autumn (diphenhydramine, cyproheptadine, clopheniramine).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 02:07 AM
SAS Member

I've been taking metoprolol situationally for few months now. I've used it for a couple presentations and in class writing assignments. I normally blush, sweat, feel short of breath, and have a racing heart during these times and metoprolol has really helped. I heard that it mostly just helps for the racing heart, but maybe the fact that heart is not thumping out of my chest helps me feel less anxious and calms the other physical symptoms I usually have. I have never used proponol, so I can't compare it to that.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Bipolar maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gink View Post
I've been taking metoprolol situationally for few months now. I've used it for a couple presentations and in class writing assignments. I normally blush, sweat, feel short of breath, and have a racing heart during these times and metoprolol has really helped. I heard that it mostly just helps for the racing heart, but maybe the fact that heart is not thumping out of my chest helps me feel less anxious and calms the other physical symptoms I usually have. I have never used proponol, so I can't compare it to that.
Thank you! For now I think I'll stick with the propranolol. Weird thing, it gives me a bit of euphoria, I used it the whole week and stopped for the weekend and no rebound tachycardia. Awesome!

What keeps me at bay:
Quetiapine 200 mg
Lamotrigine 200 mg
Venlafaxine 150 mg

Propranolol 80 mg

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I've been taking propranolol because of my heart problem, and it really helped me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Bipolar maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka92 View Post
I've been taking propranolol because of my heart problem, and it really helped me.
It really is a wonder med. I also have heart palpitations due to an electrical axis deviation and it solves them!

What keeps me at bay:
Quetiapine 200 mg
Lamotrigine 200 mg
Venlafaxine 150 mg

Propranolol 80 mg

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:37 AM
SAS Member

I know a lady who has PTSD due to workplace bullying (which she successfully sued for), and who was subsequently treated by a Psychiatrist with Propralanol. She states it gave her her life back. On this, I went to my physician to discuss this as an alternative to Benzodiazepines or Seroquel (for anxiety), in addition to my Cipralex (for depression and anxiety). She stated and maintains she does not feel comfortable prescribing it off label. Now, while I have seven years post-secondary and two degrees I am not a medical doctor, however I feel it is strange she won't prescribe off label Propralanol but she will prescribe Seroquel.

Either way, I think partly the problem lies with the fact that I need to be seeing a Psychologist and not my GP.

Thanks for the input on the Propralanol. I think once I get to a Psychologist I will be discussing the matter further.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page